Graphics Optimization

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 5 comments

Ameer67

Premium
United States
Chicago
Hello fellow pCARS players and waiters.

In the main Project CARS discussion thread, I asked how the game plays on different PC configurations. Specifically the GPU. Based on trying out pCARS on a friend's PC, the FPS weren't great. His PC is a near replica of mine (AMD X4 760k and R7 260X). It was a time trial at Dubai in the rain with a Ford Focus. My friend claimed that he would average out at 40 FPS. (Everything was set to medium to high. Mostly medium.) And this was a time trial. Imagine the FPS during a 16 car race.
Speaking of graphics, how are the AMD cards pulling?
And this is the reply I get:
While yes it runs better on intel nividia
Then I ask:
Like much better or just a bit better?
The response:
The game runs like most games reasonably better. Might be to do with the game being ably tithe cores better on the intel chips.

To understand what Wilfred meant by "reasonably better", I looked up some videos on YouTube. Just to narrow the results down, I added in the name of a graphics card in the same league as mine, the GTX 750. I found the video below:

If the video uploader is honest about his/her settings, the game plays pretty well at ultra settings. Compared to the R7 260X, it seems to play much better. I don't expect to be playing ultra at 1080p on a card like mine, but I question, why can the GTX 750 pull it off?

After doing my observations, I want to ask, is Project CARS optimized more for nVidia to the point that AMD users will see considerable graphic differences? (And yes, I know that nVidia cards generally play better on some games, but not as big as a difference as this.) Is there any more optimization planned for the AMD side of things? I would really like to have the best experience possible for everyone.

Thanks,
Ameer.

The devs have done as much optimisation as they can with regards to AMD specific requirements and instructions, the rest will have to come from driver optimisations from AMD. The reason why the gulf is comparatively large between nVidia and AMD is because the former company have done a lot of work on the game already, whereas, I believe, AMD are waiting for a range release candidate before finalising the improvements.

The devs have done as much optimisation as they can with regards to AMD specific requirements and instructions, the rest will have to come from driver optimisations from AMD. The reason why the gulf is comparatively large between nVidia and AMD is because the former company have done a lot of work on the game already, whereas, I believe, AMD are waiting for a range release candidate before finalising the improvements.

So it's up to AMD now... I see. Why has nVidia jumped the gun already though? (Not saying it's a bad thing, just wondering)

I think maybe because the devs started using CPU-based PhysX, a mutually beneficial partnership was struck where SMS was getting help with the coding. NVidia may have seen the opportunity as a chance to improve the performance of the support, and help develop their part of the title. That's not to say that SMS have favoured nVidia, and indeed some of the optimisations actually benefitted AMD more than the green company, but it's possible that nVidia have been more eager to show their hand and the quality of their performance. Maybe once the title is released, there will be a big jump in speed. Final thing to consider is this; we don't normally see games in development like this, so it could be normal for AMD and nVidia to play the game this way, and this is the first time we've been able to see it happen...

I think what you need to remember is amd will update the drivers every so often after a few games have come out. they generally do this by using the amd evolved program to gather data and optimise games. as there probably isn't enough data. So they cant optimise currently, however post release there will be better optimisation

Found a recent 260X video:

Averaging around 30 FPS from what I can see. Most settings on medium and at 720p. AMD, I'm waiting on you...

Back