Graphics

  • Thread starter Thread starter GalvoGT13
  • 59 comments
  • 4,157 views
Messages
81
United States
United States
Messages
GabeGalvao
Am I the only one that thinks that this game is absolutely beautiful and the best looking game on CONSOLES?

I was taking a hiatus from GT5, I've been playing Far Cry 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis and BO2 all the time and yesterday my friend came over and wanted to play GT, I played first of course lol, I put Nurburgring 24h with weather change, 5:40 am, choose a Blue Super GT GTR and played in the hood cam without any hud.

BEST LOOKING GAME I EVER PLAYED.

So, if you play in a Full HDTV:

  • Turn the Exposue in GT5 to -1.0
  • Play without HUD
  • Choose Nurburgring 24h Change Time
  • Pick a Premium car
  • Turn the lights off maybe
  • Enjoy
 
Eh. Maybe the Ring looks pretty good, but some other tracks look horrible. Indy is one example.
 
Yes it still looks great. Then again it should after 5 years and exclusive PS3 development...

Shame other games dont get the same treatment (not the 5 year wait though) such as the F1 series etc. Just goes to show you what the PS3 is capable of considering the archaic internals.
 
The game does not run at 1080p.

The game does not run at 60 fps. Even the replays lack this for some reason.

If it did, it might be much better looking. GT4 looked better on the PS2 than GT5 looks on the PS3.

GT4 fooled your eyes into thinking it was real. GT5 looks like a game, not like real life.

If you have access to a Fat PS3, put in GT4 and run it at 1080 (it's in the GT4 options menu). You'll see what I mean.

Is GT5 a bad looking game? No. Is it the best looking game ever? Again, no.
 
As much as I adore this game, it does look awful.

A lot of the textures are weak at best. Admittedly this is because they don't really intend for you to sit around and look at the scenery.

However if I had a dollar for every picture of mine ruined by poor sections of scenery I would be pretty damn rich.

It's certainly not the best looking game on consoles, screen tearing is frequent, the backdrops (especially on monaco) are very obviously cardboard cutouts and it's overall very lacking.

Does this matter to me? no not at all. I rarely 'enjoy the scenery' while driving because I put a lot of effort into it, therefore I take it rather seriously and sight seeing isn't really on my agenda.

If there was less screen tearing and less low res textures all over the place it would definitely be far higher on my list of "most beautiful games on console" but as it is, though very pretty there are far superior games.
 
The game does not run at 1080p.

The game does not run at 60 fps. Even the replays lack this for some reason.

If it did, it might be much better looking. GT4 looked better on the PS2 than GT5 looks on the PS3.

GT4 fooled your eyes into thinking it was real. GT5 looks like a game, not like real life.

If you have access to a Fat PS3, put in GT4 and run it at 1080 (it's in the GT4 options menu). You'll see what I mean.

Is GT5 a bad looking game? No. Is it the best looking game ever? Again, no.

I think you're misinformed, the game runs at 1080p natively. When you put PS2 games in, they get up converted, I doubt up to 1080 but more along 720.

If you re-read the op, he states his opinion about GT5 being the best game "he" played, not the best game "you've" played!
 
If you re-read the op, he states his opinion about GT5 being the best game "he" played, not the best game "you've" played!

*cough*

Am I the only one that thinks that this game is absolutely beautiful and the best looking game on CONSOLES?

He was asking if he was the only one that thought GT5 is the best looking game on consoles.
Or to put it another way, asking for other peoples opinions of the games graphics compared to other console games 👍
 
IvanOffalich
The game does not run at 1080p.

What?

Ummm pretty sure it does.

Maybe the frame rate isn't high all the time but it does run 1080P
 
What?

Ummm pretty sure it does.

Maybe the frame rate isn't high all the time but it does run 1080P

It does not run in 1920 x 1080p, but 1280 x 1080p and is upscaled by one of the Cell processor's core, so 1080p SO SO, Full HD resolution NO.
 
You need to see an optometrist.

I think you've misread what I've said.

I'm going to restate so that there's no more confusion:

GT4 (especially the replays) was an amazing looking game for the PS2

GT5 is not an amazing looking game on the PS3. It's only so so.

So in comparison. GT5 does not hold up to the graphics quality of GT4. PD pushed the envelope with GT4. They did not with GT5. This game should have looked much better than it does.

Two scenarios:

1. Someone playing GT4 years ago. The replay is running. A friend comes over. The friend looks at the TV and asks what they are watching.

2. Someone is playing GT5 now. The replay is running. A friend comes over. The friend looks at the TV and asks what game it is.

Feel free to look at replays or the opening movie for GT4 on YouTube, provided that you do both of the following:

1. Make sure that you only watch the ones that are actually HD, preferably the 1080 ones.

2. You only watch it on an HD monitor. If you watch it on a crappy monitor, you won't get the full effect.

I don't know if anyone even has them posted, but you can try. That's all I can tell you.
 
GT4 looked better on the PS2 than GT5 looks on the PS3.

GT4 fooled your eyes into thinking it was real. GT5 looks like a game, not like real life.
Ahh, the memories... :)



 
Thank you, Zer0.

The best that I could find is a 720p version of the Opening Scene for GT4. I wish there was a 1080p version on YouTube.

Keep in mind that this is a nine year-old game on a last generation system. Everything that happens when Van Halen's Panama kicks in is all in game rendered there is nothing pre-rendered that I'm aware of after the Ford GT garage part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb8rbEmCn90

A nine year-old game looks that good on an old system. Just comparing the ones that Zer0 posted shows you how much they got out of the PS2.
 
Last edited:
Yes GT5 is gorgeous, but the PS3 has *many* gorgeous games and some give GT5 a real run for its money. Which single game has the best graphics is subjective... I prefer a colorful palette to pixel-perfect images, while another gamer may be impressed by life-like realism. Try these:
Killzone 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2/3
Crysis 2
Resistance 2/3

About the cars specifically, consider that the standard cars in GT5 are ported from GT4, so they are essentially the best car graphics GT4 had to offer. Now, enter GT5's premium cars... BAM! :sly:
 
Last edited:
The game does not run at 1080p.

GT4 fooled your eyes into thinking it was real. GT5 looks like a game, not like real life.

Well it didn't fool my eyes when i was playing it years ago.

I think you've misread what I've said.

So in comparison. GT5 does not hold up to the graphics quality of GT4. PD pushed the envelope with GT4. They did not with GT5.

Feel free to look at replays or the opening movie for GT4 on YouTube, provided that you do both of the following:

I don't get how you could say this. The leap they've made from the gt4 cars to the Premium cars is pretty impressive. The level of detail they put into them is rediculous(too rediculous if you ask me). Take a premium car and park it in a tunnel and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And the opening scene is CG. That doesn't count.
 
GT5's lighting is leaps and bounds ahead of GT4's. Even if GT4 ran at higher resolution and framerate, I very much doubt it could be more convincing than GT5.
 
Did the Nurb 24h endurance a while back and I must say that the sunrise on there was nothing short of spectacular. The sunrise appeared about 30 mins after the rain had stopped. I have never seen anything as near as perfect as that in any game on any console.

:tup:PD graphix team
 
GT5 has NASTY shadows and NASTY smoke-behind-car effects and NASTY models for many, many cars. Also, a lot of the tracks look NASTY
 
Well it didn't fool my eyes when i was playing it years ago.



I don't get how you could say this. The leap they've made from the gt4 cars to the Premium cars is pretty impressive. The level of detail they put into them is rediculous(too rediculous if you ask me). Take a premium car and park it in a tunnel and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And the opening scene is CG. That doesn't count.

1. The opening is only CG up to the point where the Van Halen song kicks in. I said this above. It helps to pay attention. The opening scenes that show cars driving uses the exact same renderer that it does for the replays. Feel free to go back and play GT4 again. The replays look just as good as the opening scene. The fact that you've mistaken it for pre-rendered CG only proves the point that I'm trying to make. On top of that, the YouTube video was 720p. It looks even better in 1080p.

2. You've missed the point of what I'm saying completely, even after I have re-explained it. Am I saying that GT4 looks as good next to GT5 NO! Again, pay attention.

The point that I have been trying to make that everyone seems too 🤬 dumb to hear or get is that a nine year old game should not be able to be put side by side the way that Zer0 did above and not have the old game on an old (not as powerful system) without the old game looking like complete and utter 🤬 It doesn't look like complete and utter 🤬

That game was made almost a decade ago. It shows that they put a lot of effort into getting everything that they could out of the PS2. Looking at those two replays above, a person should be saying, "Wow, I can't believe that PS2 games were actually playable. That looks like crap compared to now. It's amazing how far technology has come since then."

If anything, looking at both of them would cause them to say, "Wow. I can't believe anything on the PS2 still looks even remotely okay 9 years later."

The whole point of what I'm saying is that:

The PS3 is capable of much more graphically. It is a much more powerful system. PD did not do everything that they could to give this game much more lifelike graphics. They put more effort into the graphics for GT4 than they did for this game.

I am done talking about this and I'm done explaining things 100 times. I don't know if the obtuse stuff is intentional or not, but I am tired of typing the same thing in 100 different ways just in an attempt to be clear. It's obvious that it's not on my end. I've been as clear as possible. I won't be checking this topic for replies. I'm done. 👎
 
Lately I have been noticing a lot of jaggies and screen tearing in GT5. I clear the caches (internet/GT5) and sync my trophies almost daily and my resolution is set to "normal" (not sharpen or flicker reduction). But it's been a while since I cleaned the lens. Is there a setting or other feature I'm missing that can clear this up? Not trying to threadjack -- this question is GT5 graphics-related but not necessarily in the spirit of the topic.
 
That's not what it seemed like you were saying when you said a person seeing GT4 would mistake it for reality while someone seeing GT5 would know it was a game.

I agree you can't compare then directly but it didn't seem you were making that point.
 
1. The opening is only CG up to the point where the Van Halen song kicks in. I said this above. It helps to pay attention. The opening scenes that show cars driving uses the exact same renderer that it does for the replays. Feel free to go back and play GT4 again. The replays look just as good as the opening scene. The fact that you've mistaken it for pre-rendered CG only proves the point that I'm trying to make. On top of that, the YouTube video was 720p. It looks even better in 1080p.

2. You've missed the point of what I'm saying completely, even after I have re-explained it. Am I saying that GT4 looks as good next to GT5 NO! Again, pay attention.

The point that I have been trying to make that everyone seems too 🤬 dumb to hear or get is that a nine year old game should not be able to be put side by side the way that Zer0 did above and not have the old game on an old (not as powerful system) without the old game looking like complete and utter 🤬 It doesn't look like complete and utter 🤬

That game was made almost a decade ago. It shows that they put a lot of effort into getting everything that they could out of the PS2. Looking at those two replays above, a person should be saying, "Wow, I can't believe that PS2 games were actually playable. That looks like crap compared to now. It's amazing how far technology has come since then."

The PS3 is capable of much more graphically. It is a much more powerful system. PD did not do everything that they could to give this game much more lifelike graphics. They put more effort into the graphics for GT4 than they did for this game.

I am done talking about this and I'm done explaining things 100 times. I don't know if the obtuse stuff is intentional or not, but I am tired of typing the same thing in 100 different ways just in an attempt to be clear. It's obvious that it's not on my end. I've been as clear as possible. I won't be checking this topic for replies. I'm done. 👎

Actually I think it's you that isn't paying attention because I was never comparing a nine year old game to gt5 directly. It was when you blatantly stated that "GT4 fooled you into thinking it was real" and that GT5 doesn't accomplish that is when I decided to comment about it. Frankly, it doesn't matter if you were talking about the CG or the whole damn intro, my point I was trying to make is that even back then you were clearly able to differentiate GT4 from real life and that PD has made a massive leap from gt4 in terms of car rendering and lighting. GT5:P is whole other story. Whether you fail to comprehend or choose to read this or not really isn't my problem.
 
GT5 Graphics are easily summed up. Sometimes they're amazing, sometimes it's awful.
 
Uh Oh! Did someone dare compliment Gran Turismo on a GT forum?
Well we better set them straight!!

C'mon guys... Gran Turismo is a great looking game 👍
 
Uh Oh! Did someone dare compliment Gran Turismo on a GT forum?
Well we better set them straight!!

C'mon guys... Gran Turismo is a great looking game 👍

Sometimes.
 
GT5 Graphics are easily summed up. Sometimes they're amazing, sometimes it's awful.

Pretty much this.

I've had moments where GT5 has been gorgeous. When everything comes together it really does look stunning and eerily life like.

However.

For the most part I will just encounter so many graphical niggles that it ruins the overall experience. Jagged particle effects, poor shadow quality, massive disconnect between car quality of your vehicle and the one next to you, lackluster backgrounds and I'm not even going to comment on the spectators...

All these things come together to make the game incredibly ugly at times compared to most PS3 titles, but again the times it does look great do make up for it.

However it definitely isn't the best looking game on console, at least not for me.
 
Last edited:
If you look at a game like Uncharted 2 or MGS4 they look great all the way through, you don't see character or environment models from PS2 every now and again and whilst no game is perfect and there is the odd poor texture, you feel like you're playing a PS3 game from start to finish. With GT5 sometimes you get that feeling but it's not consistant, race on a poor track or with some bad standards and you can't help but notice how out out of place they are.
 
Back