Graphics

  • Thread starter Thread starter GalvoGT13
  • 59 comments
  • 4,157 views
With GT5 sometimes you get that feeling but it's not consistant, race on a poor track or with some bad standards and you can't help but notice how out out of place they are.

There's nothing quite like the backdrop of Trial Mountain to throw you out of the experience 👍

I love that track to death but.. I have no words to describe how poorly rendered it is in GT5.








^Dat suspended in space time water Which you totally can't tell since it's a still image but you get the point


It's like we're in the future! Or at least the car is... This is what I'm getting at, in places this game is simply awful.
I used a premium car just to highlight the problem even more, I could of grabbed any of the really terrible standard cars like the Cadillac for instance. But I digress.
 
Last edited:
GT4 can only output 1080i using component cable on PS2 not 1080p, and it's frame rate less stable than when running SD resolution, it looks "old" on my Samsung FullHD tv, I played it with my slim PS2 in 1080i. The wheels + tire looks ugly on GT4, not to mention the inferior color palette and lighting, then the low res texture on cars.
 
yeah i like all thr gran turismos, but i think 2,3,4,5 are the good ones for me. didnt care much for gt1. i know im being a idiot for not liking gt1 but i dont like the first one
 
Second best looking racing game on PS3, the first is GT5: Prologue.

Yes back to back, I've agree Prologue looks so crisp. I would have preferred if Prologue was rebadged GT5, had weather and time change and added Spa, Nur 24H, Sarthe and Madrid or Valencia from GTPSP.
 
I guess it's a good effort from PD since this is the game that has a really good graphics.
 
GT5 does look great..sometimes. Nurburgring is (I think) is one of the top 3 best looking tracks. But driving a standard Miata on Deep Forest is..just....no.

And about GT4, I think GT5 looks much better than it. I would pretty much never have mistaken GT4 for real life. Some GT5 photos I see here definitely could be confused for real life. 👍
And if anything, I think GT4 was a bit of a step-back from GT3 in the graphics.
 
I'm also one of those people that thinks at times GT5 looks incredible (for such old tech), it really can look life like, especially some of the in cam cockpit views during a replay, but like others have mentioned, it can look really ugly at times too. All the problems have pretty much been listed already.

If the high quality parts were consitent throughout the game, so that it always looked at it's best, then I would go as far to say that it is indeed the best looking game on console, but unfortunately that is not the case.

The God of War series impressed me very much, so much detail on such a grand scale, and it was very consistent at it, as was the frame rate.


GoW Ascension gamplay. Gore warning.
 
1. The opening is only CG up to the point where the Van Halen song kicks in. I said this above. It helps to pay attention. The opening scenes that show cars driving uses the exact same renderer that it does for the replays. Feel free to go back and play GT4 again. The replays look just as good as the opening scene. The fact that you've mistaken it for pre-rendered CG only proves the point that I'm trying to make. On top of that, the YouTube video was 720p. It looks even better in 1080p.

2. You've missed the point of what I'm saying completely, even after I have re-explained it. Am I saying that GT4 looks as good next to GT5 NO! Again, pay attention.

The point that I have been trying to make that everyone seems too 🤬 dumb to hear or get is that a nine year old game should not be able to be put side by side the way that Zer0 did above and not have the old game on an old (not as powerful system) without the old game looking like complete and utter 🤬 It doesn't look like complete and utter 🤬

That game was made almost a decade ago. It shows that they put a lot of effort into getting everything that they could out of the PS2. Looking at those two replays above, a person should be saying, "Wow, I can't believe that PS2 games were actually playable. That looks like crap compared to now. It's amazing how far technology has come since then."

If anything, looking at both of them would cause them to say, "Wow. I can't believe anything on the PS2 still looks even remotely okay 9 years later."

The whole point of what I'm saying is that:

The PS3 is capable of much more graphically. It is a much more powerful system. PD did not do everything that they could to give this game much more lifelike graphics. They put more effort into the graphics for GT4 than they did for this game.

I am done talking about this and I'm done explaining things 100 times. I don't know if the obtuse stuff is intentional or not, but I am tired of typing the same thing in 100 different ways just in an attempt to be clear. It's obvious that it's not on my end. I've been as clear as possible. I won't be checking this topic for replies. I'm done. 👎

I see what you mean.

And yeah, I remember playing GT5 when it came out and a few days later a friend of mine brought his PS2 with GT4 to show-off his car library.. (I played GT 1 & 2 for a while and then sold my PS2).. and I was like.. Wow, that's GT4??? It looked a hell of a lot smoother than GT5 (Frames Per Seconds?)..

GT5 is 100 times more advanced than GT4 of course, but it would have helped to have a higher frame rate in my opinion. I guess all the weather effects did not make this possible.

But yeah, I see what you're saying 👍
 
Yes GT5 is gorgeous, but the PS3 has *many* gorgeous games and some give GT5 a real run for its money. Which single game has the best graphics is subjective... I prefer a colorful palette to pixel-perfect images, while another gamer may be impressed by life-like realism. Try these:
Killzone 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2/3
Crysis 2
Resistance 2/3

About the cars specifically, consider that the standard cars in GT5 are ported from GT4, so they are essentially the best car graphics GT4 had to offer. Now, enter GT5's premium cars... BAM! :sly:

I have those. Killzone 3 certainly looks better but I prefer realistic games, MGS 4 is awesome but sometimes there's ultra poor textures in the game, Uncharted is WOW and I forgot about it lol, Crysis is full of pop-in, Resistance looks awesome.
 
Did the Nurb 24h endurance a while back and I must say that the sunrise on there was nothing short of spectacular. The sunrise appeared about 30 mins after the rain had stopped. I have never seen anything as near as perfect as that in any game on any console.

:tup:PD graphix team

Pretty much this, the Sunset and the Sunrise.

And I agree about the Sometimes the game looks great and sometimes not.
 
Last edited:
The only graphical glitch I don't like is the really bad pixelation of my car if I smoke the wheels. If you use helicam when drifting its really noticeable.

Oddly enough call of duty mw does the same on my pc with smoke effects.
 
Pot Luck
The only graphical glitch I don't like is the really bad pixelation of my car if I smoke the wheels. If you use helicam when drifting its really noticeable.

Oddly enough call of duty mw does the same on my pc with smoke effects.

I think it's because there is way too much smoke I notice ethos a lot when I drift.
 
The smoke problem is due to the low-res alpha map, thanks to RAM constraints and priorities placed elsewhere.
The shadows are also low-res for the same reason.
As are most of the textures, although stylistically and sometimes aesthetically they could do better - the backdrop trees and the grass they're placed against in those Trial Mountain shots clash, for example, which is not really acceptable.

The depth of shader work, and how it all ties together, though, is excellent. Love those internal reflection and refraction effects on headlamp lenses etc. and the lighting model is still amongst the best.

You can't have everything.
 
You can't have everything.

Absolutely.

But see that's where I'm coming from, because of the limitations that PD didn't manage to find work arounds for despite the incredibly development time GT5 had, the game suffers visually.

Yes my pictures are a bit of an extreme case but even then if you look at the road surface and ignore the awful backdrops, it still looks rather nice. I could have easily taken that exact same car and gone to another track to show off where the game shines, but the point remains.

GT5 is great in places and downright abhorrent in others, that's why it's not the best looking game of this console generation in my eyes 👍
 
I think part of it is the size of the car models. You can either have a) meadiocre models and great shadows and smoke, or b) great models and the blocky shadows and smoke that we have now.
 
Personally I think GT5 graphics are great. Sure technically it's not perfect, there are issues and imperfections in places. In motion it looks good, in still images taken without care, you can find issues. Half the battle in Photo mode when I take photos is finding a great angle of the action, and trying to hide any issues to the best of my ability.

I think the art direction is great, and can be said for all Gran Turismo games. PD have a very clean look to everything, and while I know that's not to everyone's taste, I think it has a timeless look. Loading up Gran Turismo 3 again and going to Trial Mountain. GT5 blows it away graphically, but there is still something that looks good about GT3 that doesn't make it look 10years old.

So yeah, I think GT5 is one of the best looking games on PS3, even with the sore spots.

It does not run in 1920 x 1080p, but 1280 x 1080p and is upscaled by one of the Cell processor's core, so 1080p SO SO, Full HD resolution NO.

1280x1080, 1920x1080, 1440x1080 p/i = Full HD. so yes, at 1280x1080p/i, GT5 is Full HD ;)
 
Personally I think GT5 graphics are great. Sure technically it's not perfect, there are issues and imperfections in places. In motion it looks good, in still images taken without care, you can find issues. Half the battle in Photo mode when I take photos is finding a great angle of the action, and trying to hide any issues to the best of my ability.

I think the art direction is great, and can be said for all Gran Turismo games. PD have a very clean look to everything, and while I know that's not to everyone's taste, I think it has a timeless look. Loading up Gran Turismo 3 again and going to Trial Mountain. GT5 blows it away graphically, but there is still something that looks good about GT3 that doesn't make it look 10years old.

So yeah, I think GT5 is one of the best looking games on PS3, even with the sore spots.



1280x1080, 1920x1080, 1440x1080 p/i = Full HD. so yes, at 1280x1080p/i, GT5 is Full HD ;)

Yeah, I try to ''fix'' the meh spots, plus, no game runs in Full hd and 60fps with graphics like GT, to me it's the Best Looking Racing Game until now and it's almost a fact.
 
Personally I think GT5 graphics are great. Sure technically it's not perfect, there are issues and imperfections in places. In motion it looks good, in still images taken without care, you can find issues. Half the battle in Photo mode when I take photos is finding a great angle of the action, and trying to hide any issues to the best of my ability.

I think the art direction is great, and can be said for all Gran Turismo games. PD have a very clean look to everything, and while I know that's not to everyone's taste, I think it has a timeless look. Loading up Gran Turismo 3 again and going to Trial Mountain. GT5 blows it away graphically, but there is still something that looks good about GT3 that doesn't make it look 10years old.

So yeah, I think GT5 is one of the best looking games on PS3, even with the sore spots.



1280x1080, 1920x1080, 1440x1080 p/i = Full HD. so yes, at 1280x1080p/i, GT5 is Full HD ;)

'Full HD' is just a marketing term and it is and always has referred to 1920x1080. Unless you can find me something using the 'Full HD' term that is anything else.
 
GT5 graphics looks great enough for me.
 
MOTORTRENDmitch
Is it up-scaled to 1080p?
Yep that's why i think that the guy who wrote the OP either has a bad cable or TV or something. I mean some of the tracks could be better or at least the scenery outside the track. But besides that it is great. The cars look amazing
Fazerfan
GT5 graphics looks great enough for me.

Same here bro same here. I mean at least they don't look like this...
m3EficF_zps12ab6e39.jpg

Hahahaha
 
The native resolution of GT5 is 1280x1080. If you have your PS3 and TV set to 1080p it will be upscaled to 1080p. If you have a 720p it will be scaled to 720p.
 
Yeah, I try to ''fix'' the meh spots, plus, no game runs in Full hd and 60fps with graphics like GT, to me it's the Best Looking Racing Game until now and it's almost a fact.

All properly made PC games can run at above 1920*1080 (in fact many computer enthusiasts call 1080 low res) at 60 FPS. And they (PC games) also have better graphics, BF3 on console is lower quality than lowest possible PC BF3 settings because the game maxes out what the PS3 can do.
 
Yeah, I try to ''fix'' the meh spots, plus, no game runs in Full hd and 60fps with graphics like GT, to me it's the Best Looking Racing Game until now and it's almost a fact.
Wipeout HD doesn't look too bad.
 
'Full HD' is just a marketing term and it is and always has referred to 1920x1080. Unless you can find me something using the 'Full HD' term that is anything else.

Full HD is a marketing term, and that can mean anything really. Most products with Full HD on them are 1920x1080p so I can understand why people relate Full HD to no less than 1920x1080p.
Really it is mostly just Camcorders that have the Full HD sticker attached to them. They usually record at 1440x1080i and upscale the video to 1920x1080i
 
GT4 was made closer to the end of the ps2's life and it took every last ounce of power from the ps2 to make the most use of its abilities. Gt5 started production just as the ps3 came out, so they hadn't been able to reach the limits of the ps3. If it was released now, as devs have maxed out current gen consoles it would be a completely different story.
 
GT5 graphics looks great enough for me.


This ^^^^^^^

i reckon half you guys spend more time on here whinging rather than playing !

Get a grip, life aint perfect, games aint perfect. Christ, without my friggen glasses on i cant see anything wrong with it !

The network though......i would give up a lot in graphics to get a more solid online experience.
 
IMO FM4 has better graphics while racing. Heck it even has better sound, but GT5 has better replays and way better physics. I don't play a game for graphics. I've been really let down before buying a random game based off graphics. But I think gt5 is the best game versus its competitors based on what it offers visually and mechanically.
 
Back