Gravel Bumped To Early 2018, First Dev Diary Released

Eat your heart out, Codemasters!

For real though, this is what i been wanting for a long time, ever since Dirt 1 and Dirt 2.
Roaming wide open tracks with big V8 trucks!

Milestone offers arguably the best rally "simulator", a fresh and unique arcade rally game, a good bike game like ride 2, finally a moto gp game with 60 fps, and improves hugely its graphic engine (Unreal) and sound engine.

Milestone is becoming a decent game developer.

Milestone offers arguably the best rally "simulator", a fresh and unique arcade rally game, a good bike game like ride 2, finally a moto gp game with 60 fps, and improves hugely its graphic engine (Unreal) and sound engine.

Milestone is becoming a decent game developer.

I completely agree. I think they have a lot to offer and I get bored of all of the negative comments directed toward them.

They all seemed more than a little enamoured with Unreal Engine 4 so I'm sure they'll be using it in future. MXGP3 has it too but I think they fully realised the potential of what they had in their hands until now.
You have MXGP3 don't you? What's your view on it with the new engine in comparison to MXGP3? Sound, graphics and performance wise?

Gravel Bumped To Early 2018

Thats the fear I have with GTsport, we get close to release like this was, about a month, then it gets delayed....
This delay makes sense to me, maybe the delay is purely down to releasing it in a better window? D4 not long been out, PCars2 and GTS coming out in a few months. Gravel could have a large part of next year to itself ( don't know of any racing game scheduled for first half of 2018 ).

You have MXGP3 don't you? What's your view on it with the new engine in comparison to MXGP3? Sound, graphics and performance wise?

This delay makes sense to me, maybe the delay is purely down to releasing it in a better window? D4 not long been out, PCars2 and GTS coming out in a few months. Gravel could have a large part of next year to itself ( don't know of any racing game scheduled for first half of 2018 ).

GTR3 comes to mind and the usual Forza Horizon (thats suposed to be launched on Septemberish). Not competition for gravel.

The delay is probably because they had too muc work for this year.

Actually, I haven't got as far as buying it yet - though I do want to. @imported_rik19 and @torque99 are the two who can tell you everything you need :)
Thanks.
GTR3 comes to mind and the usual Forza Horizon (thats suposed to be launched on Septemberish). Not competition for gravel.

The delay is probably because they had too muc work for this year.
Yea I did actually remember GTR3 but didn't think it would be coming until late 2018.

The Crew2 will be the main game to compete with, (that is also arcade) - early 2018- 👍

MXGP3 is a slight step up from MXGP2, the graphics at first do not look too different but when racing the smoke, trackside buildings and crowd atmosphere are more detailed. It is all a lot smoother visually on the move and much more detailed when you zoom in on photomode. The mud tracks, rain and wet tracks are the biggest improvement. Audio improved a little on the engine note but with these bikes they do all end up sounding the same anyway. I think they still have work to do with the Unreal engine4 as they are still getting used to it, but overall I am glad they now have this, as it will be a big improvement on the scenery and detail compared to their 'last gen' graphics engine moving forward to new releases. I look forward to 'Gravel' very much and it is was a shame it was delayed. :cheers:

Last edited:
Nice video, nice to see Milestone regaining some of their independent brilliance from the old days. Some very savvy development choices being made that should set them up for the future.

For those interested, REV is a granular ramp-based resynthesis method, similar in approach to what Codemasters use, among other developers (NFS, GTAIV etc.).

http://www.crankcaseaudio.com/

It remains to be seen how it handles constant rpm. Certainly, the demo available on their webpage has audible grain edges.

Latest Posts

Back