• 17 comments

Kake Bake

(Banned)
United States
United States
keithb1ack
keithb1ack
Picked this up from NeoGaf.

In a recent interview with Eurogamer, Dan addresses community concerns regarding the restructuring of the in-game economy to push micro-transactions, the paucity of content in 5, its critical reception and the direction of the series.

So we made car tokens equal to credits - it's not about making more money, it was actually about saving people's time when doing the grind. I can totally see how people are perceiving it, but that wasn't our thought process - we designed the tokens last, which isn't how you'd do it if you were making a free-to-play game - you would design that economy and the token economy first, because that's how you make your revenue. That's not how we make the revenue - we sell the game, and the tokens aren't a big revenue driver. As a creative director, we were looking at it as basically giving people cheats, but if you want to put cheats in you have to pay for them, which puts a barrier in and makes it exclusive to those who want to pay for them.

I guess that depending on which side of the gaming fence you're on this is either proof that the game was broken or encouraging evidence that the developers are listening to and acting on criticism. It sounds like good news to me.

I guess that depending on which side of the gaming fence you're on this is either proof that the game was broken or encouraging evidence that the developers are listening to and acting on criticism. It sounds like good news to me.

Yeah, I agree. It looks like the game could have done with some economy adjustments, mainly the MTs IMO and a slight tweak to the payouts. It's good that they are listening, but I hope they listened to the right people. We'll have to see how that plays out

There's more in the article about gameplay updates however. These sound very promising. I hope they push the boat out there without pushing so far asea they hurt FM6. Which looks like is still on schedule for 2015.

Here you go Economy adjusted and more add-ons. Looks like turn 10 is doing an awesome job of being very responsive to us!...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/12/forza-5-economy-update-introduces-cheaper-cars-drag-racing

Turn 10 Studios will release a Forza Motorsport 5 update this month -- as early as next week -- that adds Drag Racing and Tag multiplayer modes, in addition to a more balanced economy.

Car prices have been reduced significantly, with the on-disc cars reduced in price by 45%. So, the $6 million Ferrari 250 GTO you’ve been saving for is now a more accessible $2 million purchase. The rate at which racers earn money has more than doubled, as well. Turn 10 estimates Forza 5 players will be able to earn exotic cars in one-fifth of the time they earned them in Forza Motorsport 4.

“We based our economy largely on Forza Motorsport 4 data,” creative director Dan Greenawalt told IGN. That $6 million Ferrari? It cost $10 million in Forza 4.

“The earn rate [in Forza 5] should have been the same,” Greenawalt explained. Player patterns are different now, however, which meant racers were earning less. And so Turn 10 adapted based on telemetry. Based on that data, Turn 10 is "making updates pretty quickly and painlessly," and will continue to do so based on community feedback.(more in the link)

Here you go Economy adjusted and more add-ons. Looks like turn 10 is doing an awesome job of being very responsive to us!...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/12/forza-5-economy-update-introduces-cheaper-cars-drag-racing

Turn 10 Studios will release a Forza Motorsport 5 update this month -- as early as next week -- that adds Drag Racing and Tag multiplayer modes, in addition to a more balanced economy.

Car prices have been reduced significantly, with the on-disc cars reduced in price by 45%. So, the $6 million Ferrari 250 GTO you’ve been saving for is now a more accessible $2 million purchase. The rate at which racers earn money has more than doubled, as well. Turn 10 estimates Forza 5 players will be able to earn exotic cars in one-fifth of the time they earned them in Forza Motorsport 4.

“We based our economy largely on Forza Motorsport 4 data,” creative director Dan Greenawalt told IGN. That $6 million Ferrari? It cost $10 million in Forza 4.

“The earn rate [in Forza 5] should have been the same,” Greenawalt explained. Player patterns are different now, however, which meant racers were earning less. And so Turn 10 adapted based on telemetry. Based on that data, Turn 10 is "making updates pretty quickly and painlessly," and will continue to do so based on community feedback.(more in the link)

This is great news for Forza fans but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks this may also be a brilliantly calculated marketing move on the part of Mr. Greenwalt. Everyone knows PD is very weak in interacting with the community at large, this is an undisputable fact. Other than structured interviews and press releases there's very little ongoing interaction with PD. Knowing this, T10 might have said, "Ok, we're going to copy what we know PD is going to do with GT6 with Microtransactions, crappy payouts, hard to get cars etc, but after a couple of weeks we're going to jump in and save the day by adjusting the game economy and introducing drag racing, one glaring hole in GT's franchise."

That's how I would have done it. You deliberately create bad press focusing attention on the game, then turn around and be the hero and in the process, make PD/Sony/Kaz look old and stale and disconnected by comparison. Everyone raves about T10's relationship to it's fans and how much it cares and how wonderful they are. Well done...:bowdown:

T10 has always been amazing at listening to the community. In fact I would put them toward the top of developers that truly listen to the community. That's why it was such a shock most of the decisions they made with F5. Its also why I didn't purchase the X1 or F5 at launch. The less people that supported the game at launch shows the community isn't happy with the decisions that were made. T10 will make up for this but its going to take time. To truly make up for this they need to start releasing a crap ton of free cars. When you reduce the car list from around 700 cars to 200, you need to do something serious in order for the fans to forgive the decisions that were made. Reduce or drop the microtransaction crap and start dishing out free cars and tracks. Don't get me going on all the tracks removed too.

Amazing at listening to the community? You mean backtracking because they got caught right?
They were always going to get caught if "getting caught" means being challenged by interviewers. They could just have easily have folded their arms and done nothing. But I guess some people are determined to bash them whatever they do.

Last edited:
Amazing at listening to the community? You mean backtracking because they got caught right?

Believe what you like. Either way it means that if there's something that the consumers don't like about a release they can voice their concerns and have a reasonable change of having them heard and rectified.

I don't see how that's a bad thing. It's more than we see from most devs. Of course it'd be nice if they'd just get it right first time, but whatever.

Forza becomes what it is because of great on-line competitive racing & features which was introduced back in FM2. I bought that box just for Forza. But then as if T10 forget everything and released #3 where they took half of those features out , despite community liked those features . People weren't happy at the time and to be true I didn't enjoy #3. So there comes #4 and features are back. everyone's happy and game is great. Now , there's #5 and guess what? Again they crippled on-line on most of community features. See any pattern here ? I've spend 6 years on FM forums and I have yet to see one T10 representative (not mods) say something on official forums. Community support ? Corporate talk :D

I'm not seeing how it's all talk since T10 usually listen to their fan base more so than a certain group and actually made an attempt to encompass cars in the last game that were different and not based in one region. Why? Because their fans really wanted this, and so that's what we players were given.

I agree with @HAL20XX that if it's a first time offense why should people automatically see it as offensive or an attempt to cheat the public at large. Rather it's when a group ignores and ignores knowing there is an issue and the same what at that each release, that deserves flak and people being critical. Now if it's a feature that is questionable and I think time transition/night racing not being in FM is, then that is different. And I've clearly voiced my opinion here and on the corrective forums as well.

Forza becomes what it is because of great on-line competitive racing & features which was introduced back in FM2. I bought that box just for Forza. But then as if T10 forget everything and released #3 where they took half of those features out , despite community liked those features . People weren't happy at the time and to be true I didn't enjoy #3. So there comes #4 and features are back. everyone's happy and game is great. Now , there's #5 and guess what? Again they crippled on-line on most of community features. See any pattern here ? I've spend 6 years on FM forums and I have yet to see one T10 representative (not mods) say something on official forums. Community support ? Corporate talk :D
Then you clearly didn't pay attention enough to know who Che was. But, that's alright since he did more damage than good.

Then you clearly didn't pay attention enough to know who Che was. But, that's alright since he did more damage than good.

Dan even used to post on the forums there about physics and stuff. But why would you continue throwing yourself to the wolves time after time?

I'd say both of those statements are an exaggeration. They reacted to negative feedback. Why can't a bad decision be just that and not some malicious attempt to "steal your money"?

The thing that pissed me off is the rise in tokens coincides with the removal of any car in free play. That just makes it hard to buy the whole reasoning here.

T10 has always been amazing at listening to the community. In fact I would put them toward the top of developers that truly listen to the community. That's why it was such a shock most of the decisions they made with F5. Its also why I didn't purchase the X1 or F5 at launch. The less people that supported the game at launch shows the community isn't happy with the decisions that were made. T10 will make up for this but its going to take time. To truly make up for this they need to start releasing a crap ton of free cars. When you reduce the car list from around 700 cars to 200, you need to do something serious in order for the fans to forgive the decisions that were made. Reduce or drop the microtransaction crap and start dishing out free cars and tracks. Don't get me going on all the tracks removed too.

Entirely rebuilt car models, new physics engine, new tire engine, new graphical engine and laser-scanned tracks in the largest racing game ever at a console launch isn't good enough?

Entirely rebuilt car models, new physics engine, new tire engine, new graphical engine and laser-scanned tracks in the largest racing game ever at a console launch isn't good enough?

They were upset that actually had to play the game to actually drive the higher end cars in free play. Its a noble concept to earn your car...

Back