GRID LEGENDS

• Thread starter Nacho Libre
  • 1,315 comments
Mexico
Mexico
Wow, this came from nowhere, but GRID LEGENDS has just been unveiled during the EA Play Live event just now.
It is scheduled for 2022 and it seems a return to a narrative based GRID game. Graphically it looks close to the last GRID.

Ah yes, team Ravenwest's driver seems to be the major rival/boss. It kinda looks looks like a thematic mix of GRID Autosport/GRID 2.

Last edited:
With next gen support and lets hope "extended" content i am excited.

I just hope it will have more classic race classes (for example those from GRID 2019) and not too much road racing like GRID 2.

Last edited:
It's probably just going to be like GRID 19 except dressed up with a cringy story mode. Just waiting for them to lock a big feature exclusively behind a barely used streaming service again.

Hmm, the trailer seems promising with the return of classic touring cars, drift, series like trucks or Formula E, but I’m not going to get my hopes up too much, as 2019 was a massive disappointment.

Last edited:
One thing is worrying to be honest. Did you noticed that all race footage was only "One make" races. I hope it is just a "early development" stage thing and we will see different muscle cars or normal GTE/GT4 grids etc. With multiclass it could be GTE and prototypes racing. I hope we will get all of GRID 2019 content.

aston-valkyrie-ravenwest-1-4k-1.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpgaudi-london-day-2-4k.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpgglwebsitebigrig4k.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpgmitsubishi-evo-drift-strada-2-4k.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpgshelby-cobra-london-3-4k.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpgsta-london-day-4-4k.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy to see the return of a narrative, especially after seeing how Braking Point is executed in F1 2021.

I do hope more effort is put into making this a more memorable experience than GRID 2019, beyond the shinier graphics it didn't bring much to the series.

Wow this racing game looks similar to one that proceeded it by 2 years, what a surprise.

Last edited:
One thing is worrying to be honest. Did you noticed that all race footage was only "One make" races. I hope it is just a "early development" stage thing and we will see different muscle cars or normal GTE/GT4 grids etc. With multiclass it could be GTE and prototypes racing. I hope we will get all of GRID 2019 content.
There was 1 scene where a truck rammed a sports car, so I guess that’s multiclass? It could be a special event where ramming is the point, but that would be weird considering the realistic spin they want to put on it.

I wish they would go back to primarily proper circuits. The last couple of GRID games had far too many tight fictional city tracks for my liking. You can't properly race cleanly on a lot of them.

Last edited:
There was 1 scene where a truck rammed a sports car, so I guess that’s multiclass? It could be a special event where ramming is the point, but that would be weird considering the realistic spin they want to put on it.
It is confirmed that there will be multiclass but still. Every class in this trailer has one car. I just hope it is just a thing of "not showing too much" for now. I would love to see some other cars from that Audi A4 BTCC era.

From the trailer and pictures i noticed that its all cars that are in GRID 2019... Nothing new spotted... Except the Truck and Cobra... But with "new" i more meant new models of already existing cars like the Corvette race car or the Porsche 911 Cup race car since there are now the C8.R and 992 Cup available and racing on tracks around the world :)

I've noticed EA is using 'Electronic Arts' and not the usual abbreviation in their trailers and marketing these days. Guess they're quietly rebranding themselves.

Racing game fans: "Project Cars 3 was terrible!"

EA/Codemasters: "Hold my beer!"

I was expecting DiRT Rally 3 to announce but surprised to see a new Grid is still got made after the last one.

Not entirely sure how I feel about the Narrative. If we talk about the Narrative exclusive from the trailer, Nathan McKane is the only one shown with a hint of a personality with the rest just only having a goal with everyone just set to overly serious. Doesn't look too interesting to delve into either, none of the cheesy fun cutscenes like TOCA Race Driver 2.

Can't judge much on gameplay, like the multiclass racing but.

I don’t care about stories in racing games at all. Personally I find them extremely cringy and GRID Legends seems no different.

Though as long as the gameplay is far more
polished than GRID 2019, I’m somewhat intrigued.

Last edited:
That shot of the A4s, looks a bit old. I mean, the models look like they were created during the TOCA/Race Driver era. Not next gen level. To me, anyway.

That shot of the A4s, looks a bit old. I mean, the models look like they were created during the TOCA/Race Driver era. Not next gen level. To me, anyway.
Yeah I wasn't that impressed by the visuals either. I wonder if codies will eventually adopt Frostbite.

Because this is probably the same model from GRID Autosport era. We all know how codies like to reuse old assets ;)

Yeah I wasn't that impressed by the visuals either. I wonder if codies will eventually adopt Frostbite.
Goodness I hope not. Codies basic engine is more than serviceable, even if the visuals aren't the best. Frostbite (in its current state) at this point I think is pretty well-known to be a PITA for both players and Devs alike, so I'd prefer if they kept that engine far away from Codies IPs.

I'm surprised GRID even survived the merger, although given the timing it's possible it was so far along EA decided they might as well release it. For their sake hopefully they are releasing it in the Spring as it will be nearly impossible to get any focus during the Fall if Forza Motorsport and GT7 finally get released.

As for the game itself, I don't see anything that really grabs my attention. I'm also fine with stories in racing games, I just wish they weren't always so over the top.

2022 will be the year of racing games...

-GT7
-Forza
-New Need For Speed is coming
-Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown
and now GRID LEGENDS.

and there is big chance of BTCC game.

I don't count F1/NASCAR games

Grid will have a hard time getting attention, i really think it should come out in first quarter of 2022 to be somewhat successful.

Some more deets on the Xbox blog:

Whether you’re immersed in the story or competing in any of our other modes, you’ll find an incredible selection of cars – over 100, in fact, all hand-picked to ensure a variety of racing experiences. Did you spot all six of the real-world cars in our trailer, like the Aston Martin Valkyrie AMR Pro Concept, Audi A4 Quattro BTCC, and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Drift-Tuned.

You also saw a clutch of stunning fictional machines dreamt up by our team, from a nimble single-seater to a humongous big rig. Every car will be upgradable in performance as you progress, and we’ll share more details on that new feature and plenty more in the coming months.

Whilst all cars will be split into dedicated classes, our race creator tools in will allow you to create events with multiple classes on track, and many more variables to make the race unique.

Let’s say you want a 20-lap race, through the streets of London, at night, in the rain, with classic touring cars taking on trucks.

Oh, and there’s a countdown timer, with the last-placed car eliminated whenever the timer hits zero. You can make that happen with the race creator – and when you’re done designing your event, why not take it online and challenge racers across the globe to compete in it?

As for why only 6 cars are in the trailer (since I saw some ask about single-make racing), game's a while aways from launch and everything takes time to get finalised and approved. It's easier to get footage approved when it only has to go to one manufacturer and not 13 😉

For their sake hopefully they are releasing it in the Spring as it will be nearly impossible to get any focus during the Fall if Forza Motorsport and GT7 finally get released.
Not to mention internal competition with Need For Speed which is expected to be released during the holiday season of 2022.

Realistically, I can't see GRID Legends launching any later than Q2 2022, a Q1 release would be ideal though.

Back