GRID Online- Where is the sportsmanship?

• Thread starter Darren.
  • 89 comments
Is there any noticeable difference between consoles? I don't really play online racing, so I wouldn't know if there's a tendency for one console to be more smash-happy. Or I could be dumb and it's all gone to one server for all consoles. I just don't know :/

Is there any noticeable difference between consoles? I don't really play online racing, so I wouldn't know if there's a tendency for one console to be more smash-happy. Or I could be dumb and it's all gone to one server for all consoles. I just don't know :/
I found Xbox more smash-happy. A majority of the players are/were new to racing games... Gran Turismo, having been around for 15 years, has taught PlayStation players better.

PC will always have more professional/serious gamers, but that group is well-catered for... Leaving a lot of casual gamers to play Grid.

I would stay clear of Xbox, mainly

The thing to watch for is the safety rating. If you have a room full of yellows and worse, just turn around and leave, it's a smash up derby. If you see a sprinkling or lots of whites, stick around. If you want to race with the yellows anyway, just go slow into the first corner and watch the carnage and try and scoot on by. If you have any decent pace they won't be able to catch you but never take your eyes off the mini-map for long and watch the rear view as you approach corners.

I find the cleanest drivers to be racing in the Tuner hoppers... guess it's a more precise brand of driving than you find in Touring or Street.

I don't think anyone can really definitively say that one is cleaner than the other. Personally I've had more clean races on Forza than GT. I just chose PS3 because I didn't feel like renewing XBL.

League racing is the cleanest racing on Gran Turismo.

League racing is generally clean, independent of game. If it's not, it was probably in the description of the league joined.

Non-league racing is where it makes sense to classify whether a game is clean or dirty. League racing is what the league organiser makes it.

If only there were enough people online on PC to reliably find a room. Most of the time I can't even get one, dirty or otherwise.

League racing...? I'm guessing that's a no...? League racing is the cleanest racing on Gran Turismo.
Like Imari said, league racing standards are up to the league, not the game. I'm comparing racing in public lobbies, I never have the time to commit to league races.

I think the rating system should be scrapped. I am no way a dirty driver, but why should my rating take a hit when I keep getting hit by others.

I think the rating system should be scrapped. I am no way a dirty driver, but why should my rating take a hit when I keep getting hit by others.
I had to change your driving/racing habits and adapt. It sucks to get rammed by others but now I keep an eye on your mirrors, never go side by side with poorly rated drivers through corners, drive cautiously, and I avoid most of the carnage and still get good finishes and wins when others crash themselves out. Stick around in a lobby for a while and eventually you are starting up front and at least in my experience, it's often whites at the front. Skill and clean driving usually go hand in hand.

@PIP_36 Thanks mate for the nice racing this afternoon. Was a pleasure :)

@anim8r_uk The chevron suggestion by @Johnnypenso is really needed online. Sometimes I get to cautious when someone is beside me because I don't know exactly where hé/she is

We had some great races mate, I got a little messy a few times as some of those tracks I've never driven, and your beloved 408 is a beast but it looks like you have tamed it!

Hope to see you and others on the track soon.

@PIP_36
@anim8r_uk The chevron suggestion by @Johnnypenso is really needed online. Sometimes I get to cautious when someone is beside me because I don't know exactly where hé/she is
Definitely that or a rear view mirror. Its starting to get really frustrating to me. Especially when you use bonnet cam with the GTP livery and the bonnet is white, you can't even see the chevron at all.

Read up on the way iRacing's rating system works, because it's more complicated version of the same thing.

The short answer is that while everyone will get hit some (because of the unavoidable jerks), good drivers will tend to average less contact that bad ones.

Say you've got one crasher in a 12 man race, and he tags every single person twice. He has 24 contacts, everyone else has two apiece. Easy to see who the good driver is.

It's not about have zero contact, because that's impossible. It's about being consistently low, which is very possible. If you're finding it tough, then as @Johnnypenso suggested you can change your driving style to make yourself less likely to be hit and harder to hit for people who are determined.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but conversely if we did seperate out drivers etc, then what happens if all your friends are white/green, but you've had a pretty bad run of things through no real fault of your own? (AI crashes, unsighted accidents etc)..... you'd then be locked out from playing with you friends until you rating was back up to green/white. Autosport is new just now, but later on, it'll take longer to recover your ratings....

Does offline career affect your online driver rating?

- If so I better shape up... when playing AI I often don't care if I get a bit rough or well strait abusive.... but when I play online I always try and race clean and stay out of the faster cars battles I have no business being in.

I think the first corner crashes are really compounded by the fact that a lot of the time the races are just too short to make a recovery. Does the GTP Club have custom playlists?

I think the first corner crashes are really compounded by the fact that a lot of the time the
races are just too short to make a recovery
Very true, in just about any racing game online. You can do yourself a big favour by hanging back
a little and pick your way carefully through the chaos :lol:

There is something I'd like for a change and it is to make those kamikazes at first corner to be a ghost so they can't screw up anyone's race.

Most of my complaints racing GAS Online come for first lap destruction derby mode plus those dirty drivers pushing you off track with no reason.

I've found that staying away from the playlist is the easiest way to avoid the demo derby racers, and going into the custom cup side of things, theres not many people using this method (well when i'm on anyway) and the advantage is you can turn ghost racing on to weed out kamakazi pilots

I believe the game should have a disclaimer in the multiplayer lobby akin to the warnings for pregnant women and those with heart conditions typically found on alcoholic beverages and tobacco products. I find myself seeking religious consultations on a weekly basis.

How about a room option to punish dangerous drivers , I'm not talking about the vote to kick option but a system that recognizes reckless driving . This could be done by the computer penalizing players who have driven badly by deducting xp or a cash penalty. If that can't be done then what about an option to kick a player after every race , as it stands if you get a bad player joining a lobby from the start of a cup then you could have to suffer 5 races before getting rid of them.

I read about this vote to kick option, but is the host able to kick players like in Gran Turismo? Actually, if someone could make a quick video showcasing the private lobby options for the host, that would be most helpful.

Last edited:
I read about this vote to kick option, but is the host able to kick players like in Gran Turismo? Actually, if someone could make a quick video showcasing the private lobby options for the host, that would be most helpful.

As well as letting you host your own lobbies (which let you do everything you can think of), GRID also uses an online hopper system; the hopper lobbies have no host (only the vote-kick system).

Back