GRID Review: A Fun Enough Arcade Racer, But Too Lean

PC2 has messed it up for a lot of racegames. The only thing that saved horizon is their open world. I don't see how grid can compete, but I'll keep an eye on their progress

What's the difference with Autosport? The physics and that is the most important thing about any racing game. With a wheel it is a blast to play. I love I can create an online championship and fill the empty spots with AI.

It is fair to say that there are 13 locations and not tracks. I really dont feel there is not enough content. It will take you a long time to master all of the tracks.

Every track is at night and with rain and several times of day.

Also all future tracks are free for everybody. You pay only for some future cars and more career. I really have a blast with the game and that is the most important thing to me. A game can have 60 tracks but if the physics are bad it is worthless.
Yes but physics were already good for its purpose with autosport. Maybe I've put it badly, but my real question was: why should I spend 60€ when I can play autosport? For 20€ it would be alright, but full price as any Codemasters game it's a no no considering their DLC policy

Great review! But I'm left with questions. Why do Codies' titles keep getting praise for their sounds and sound design, yet rated 4/5? In this case a few issues were named, but I noticed this on the Dirt Rally 2 and F1 2019 reviews too, where sounds got solid praise. I haven't played this yet, but Grid Autosport's sounds were amazing (as with most CM titles), they just got every car right. That gave the game's smaller car list much longer life, as every car in every discipline was fun to try out and use for a while. So it uplifted the entire game imo and would deserve a max rating.

Coming from Grid Autosport, some details about cockpit view would be nice. Is it properly implemented this time, with working screens and dials? I've watched a few gameplay videos but none actually switched to show it. I only saw it for a split second in some trailer.

What about photomode? Something I always craved for in Grid, you had many cool car choices and pretty cities and race tracks but only preset replay cameras. Did any of the Driveclub talent carry over as it did to the F1 games?
@SlipZtrEm

Because it's not 'cool' these days to say anything is ever that good.

I remember the slagging GRID 2? quite rightly got for ditching a cockpit view. I enjoyed the first GRID most so far but fancy this one.

I'd also like to know about what the ex-Evolution guys did next too within Codemasters. The photo mode in Driveclub was immense.

Last edited:
What really have they improved upon over GRID 2 for example - seems like more, or less in some cases, of the same. I reinstalled GRID 2 today for nostalgia sake as I remember really enjoying it back when it was released. I really liked GRID and GRID 2, Autosport not so much. GRID 2 today runs fantastic and looks great for a 6 year old game. I'm running it on an Ultra-Wide at 3440x1440 with every graphic setting at max and still get 140-240 fps, around 148 fps average - crazy. Note, I realize they've added weather conditions but I personally don't like rainy weather so that's a downgrade for me. Just a little baffled on the value of GRID 2019.

I love this game so far. Great fun driving, great AI. Only one drawback. Base PS4 version looks ugly and have 10FPS rear view mirrors... With 30FPS cap it isn't too good. I wonder what went wrong. Pcars 2 looks good on PS4 compare to PS4Pro, GTSport looks great, Dirt Rally 2.0 also looks very good on base PS4. Most game have only advantage of higher resolution on PS4Pro and here we have higher resolution, 60FPS (base PS4 30FPS) and more details, it looks like standard consoles were treated as second category.

It seems like they have really dropped the ball with this. The great single player campaign is one of the primary reasons that Race Driver Grid is so fondly remembered.

Race Driver Grid didn't have many cars and tracks either, but the campaign was so fun that it didn't matter.

It seems like they have really dropped the ball with this. The great single player campaign is one of the primary reasons that Race Driver Grid is so fondly remembered.

Race Driver Grid didn't have many cars and tracks either, but the campaign was so fun that it didn't matter.

I think that new GRID is very very good on the gameplay side. I have just concerns about optimization for base consoles.

I love this game so far. Great fun driving, great AI. Only one drawback. Base PS4 version looks ugly and have 10FPS rear view mirrors... With 30FPS cap it isn't too good. I wonder what went wrong. Pcars 2 looks good on PS4 compare to PS4Pro, GTSport looks great, Dirt Rally 2.0 also looks very good on base PS4. Most game have only advantage of higher resolution on PS4Pro and here we have higher resolution, 60FPS (base PS4 30FPS) and more details, it looks like standard consoles were treated as second category.

That is a shame about the base console performance. Its hard to trust reviews of titles launched in 2019 (and 2020) as the high praise on Metacritic could have come from a XBX or PSPRO.

Played Modern Warfare beta few weekends back, and it was diabolical. Looks worse than what I remember Modern Warfare original on XB360. Yet everyone gives it high praise as they're playing on superior software.

ame another extra money for to get the who

That is a shame about the base console performance. Its hard to trust reviews of titles launched in 2019 (and 2020) as the high praise on Metacritic could have come from a XBX or PSPRO.

Played Modern Warfare beta few weekends back, and it was diabolical. Looks worse than what I remember Modern Warfare original on XB360. Yet everyone gives it high praise as they're playing on superior software.

Yeah it is sad.

Here there is Xbox One (standard) direct feed from GRID. PS4 version looks better, But it will give you base concept how this game looks on standard consoles

How about controllers? How you finding it? I really don't want to buy this on PC just so I can use my sim rig wheel. I much prefer to buy it on Xbox one X and do couch racing for an arcade title.

Well, I've only got a Xbox One S, so I'm really interested in seeing how it looks when I start playing tonight (UPS says it was just delivered to my home).

How about controllers? How you finding it? I really don't want to buy this on PC just so I can use my sim rig wheel. I much prefer to buy it on Xbox one X and do couch racing for an arcade title.

Excellent. Nicely weighted and responsive. Good levels of adjustment as well to suit needs but I found the default to be very good.

Excellent. Nicely weighted and responsive. Good levels of adjustment as well to suit needs but I found the default to be very good.

I have to agree with @MagpieRacer I'm on PC but at the moment using an Xbox One X controller until I get my wheel set up for it.

Last edited:
Brands Hatch in reverse is hilarious.

What I found funny was that I've driven Brands Hatch so much in correct direction that when watching that I instinctively knew the breaking points for the reserve direction.

What I found hilarious however was Australian and American accents introducing a race at Brands Hatch. It's like a brit accent commentating on a NASCAR or V8 Supercar race - just wrong ;)

I have to agree with @MagpieRacer I'm on PC but at the moment using an Xbox One X controller until I get my wheel set up for it.

My impressions so far:

I have played years of arcade racing games, this is so much more than 'arcade' handling i.e NFS. Firing up the game I was expecting an AutoSport codies style (pivot) to get used to, but it wasn't like that it was all very smooth and confident through the turns and I think reading up they had the guys from Dirt Rally helping on this. 99% of arcade gamers will find this such nice handling and big improvement with the assists on 5 it is and one of the best yet, I find it better than Dirt Rally & F12019 on a controller.

@Dan If like me you liked DriveClub/Forza4 type of 'solid slow input handling' You have the option to tweak away (this is on PC but I am sure you have this on console but you may need to check)

1. You can edit all the assists on a scale of 1-5 to loosen the traction, especially helpful on the chicanes and tight city circuits using handbrake turns 👍:P

2. You can also then fine tune the cars i.e brake bias etc

3. Then a further option to 'edit' all the sensitivity settings on a slider.

They done such a good job though that I have not 'tweaked too much' but found my sweet spot. The best thing is this can all be done on the 'fly' moving and pausing and testing not re-starting. You only have to re-start on some of the difficulty settings.

If you liked Drive Club, I would recommend. The handling is great, UI is very straight forward. You can just jump in and Race the Championship chosen (usually 1-4 short 2/3 lap races in career) approx 100 of them until you reach the World Series with more seasons coming.

In between this you have a simple Multiplayer but needs some updates.

The main one I use is 'Custom Settings' just jump in and play any track in dusk, day, evening, day rain, night or night rain with any car you own or can loan a car (for the most part) some you have to earn or unlock. You can change laps or race style or Time Attack or just reduce the number of AI
to a one on one if you prefer.

Depending on system and tracks, some of the daytime graphics LOD/trees/shadows etc are not perfect but they are aware and looking into and overall the cars and lighting look fantastic on most tracks, very smooth 60fps especially the night races (well lit) and the rain is amazing (cockpit cam).

The audio is outstanding especially in cockpit view, those modified turbos, or those old school tourers screaming to redline are fantastic. The engines are nice and loud and you can hear the rain on the car etc if you stop.

The cars are limited but it has made me realise how I don't use 2-300 of Forza cars :ill: and as they all sound excellent you want to try each one out and so far I have found 70 is enough and I still haven't learnt all the tracks (backward Brands Hatch and Silverstone still throws my mind!).

It is 'fun' and that is the most important thing after years of Sim racing games. :gtpflag:

I understand the game feels 'limited' to previous games and other similar racing games but in a way this has actually made me enjoy it more by sticking with the cars and learning them rather than jumping from car to car in other games. I know they are working hard on updating more tracks (a lot of work goes in to in adding night/rain on every track).

To sum up for me it is a 'pick up and play' 20mins in the evening or 3 hours of racing, easy to use on controller and menus.

It is 'arcade' in simplicity but has adjustable 'simcade' handling and a good selection of cars and tracks to keep you going until updates.

p.s I must admit I am a little biased as I love all arcade games and all the other ToCA/GRID games but to me this is the best one yet as it is a good mix of all of them as they have skipped all the stories and just gone for jump in and play :sly:👍

A few recent videos I took of my favourite tracks/cars so far.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far. It's been liked to Ridge Racer, Driveclub and even project Gotham Racing on some reviews. Would say it was an insta buy from me on that basis but think I'll do what I did with Dirt Rally 2 and wait till the Ultimate Edition drops down to the £40 mark. Gonna go with Wreckfest instead just now as it's only £24.99.

GRID has had a few too many decent reviews for it to be not worth playing though. Fair play to anyone who's supported the game from the start. I look forward again to the series future as it evolves a bit more feature and content wise.

Ok, I had just short of an hour this morning to give it a little run.

My first impression is that it feels somewhat liberating to get into an arcade mindset and realize that it's ok to slam other cars at times - because that's what they kind of do to you as well. Just don't go overboard since a clean lap is always faster.

Now my biggest complaint (and right now it's kind of big). I'm paying on an Xbox One S and it looks horrible. Not "omg it's PS1 graphics" or anything like that, but that kind of fuzzy look you get when your cell phone doesn't have good reception and you're trying to watch YouTube. I keep waiting for it to get sharp and it never happens.

It this point I'm thinking of taking my glasses off the next time I play.

The bottom line - if you're on a console and don't have PS4 Pro or a One X, then you might have to temper your expectations a LOT, though there's fun to be had if you look past it.

Edit: I think I was a bit harsh in the beginning. It's a little better now that I'm paying at night and I've turned down the gamma setting. Still, not as crisp as one would expect.

Last edited:
I can confirm a few things:

No demo derby (Its now a MP only pre lobby mess with no damage models)
No drifting events
No Togue

There is one point to point track called a Sprint (not Touge) through the Japanese mountains of Okutama with different length stages. You can set custom match up with 1 AI and race to your hearts content round those bends. I am sure more will follow:tup:

There is one point to point track called a Sprint (not Touge) through the Japanese mountains of Okutama with different length stages. You can set custom match up with 1 AI and race to your hearts content round those bends. I am sure more will follow:tup:

Ah nice thanks! I hope we get more I love point to point!

Downloaded it last night and played for about an hour and a half. Playing on xbox one x with a Thrustmaster TS-XW and the FFB is barely there. No matter what I do with the sliders I get no change. I saw a thread on CM's site and posted in there. Hoping for a fix.

Enjoyed the read but it doesn't seem to match up with the majority of the user reviews ive watched or read. While some do and most of the big outlets scored it quite high, i still have reservations about purchasing it right now at full price.

If a good sale comes along and the value seems right i'll probably pick it up but for now im gonna just wait abit.

Downloaded it last night and played for about an hour and a half. Playing on xbox one x with a Thrustmaster TS-XW and the FFB is barely there. No matter what I do with the sliders I get no change. I saw a thread on CM's site and posted in there. Hoping for a fix.

Same platform and equipment here. The FFB is there but it's very subtle compared to sim-oriented titles; I'm figuring that is how Codemasters intended it to be.

Same platform and equipment here. The FFB is there but it's very subtle compared to sim-oriented titles; I'm figuring that is how Codemasters intended it to be.

Yeah. You can definitely feel it there, just extremely light. Really just want a little more weight to the wheel to be honest. Even just 20% more weight would make it easier to feel whats going on. I still feel no difference at all when I adjust the sliders.

Just Brenner using the TC-2 cars. Brings sme back to the ToCA days. Love the in-car cam.

I haven't adjusted the DS4 settings, but maybe the steering needs I be a bit quicker. Other ham that, its good.

Back