GRID Review: A Fun Enough Arcade Racer, But Too Lean

Discussion in 'GRID Series' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 9, 2019.

1. HarlemG27

HarlemG27

PC2 has messed it up for a lot of racegames. The only thing that saved horizon is their open world. I don't see how grid can compete, but I'll keep an eye on their progress

Suzumiya likes this.
  2. RedRockValley

RedRockValley

No, not really.

3. RickyGT

RickyGT

Yes but physics were already good for its purpose with autosport. Maybe I've put it badly, but my real question was: why should I spend 60€ when I can play autosport? For 20€ it would be alright, but full price as any Codemasters game it's a no no considering their DLC policy

MrCrynox likes this.
  4. Bush_Killa-73

Bush_Killa-73

Because it's not 'cool' these days to say anything is ever that good.

I remember the slagging GRID 2? quite rightly got for ditching a cockpit view. I enjoyed the first GRID most so far but fancy this one.

I'd also like to know about what the ex-Evolution guys did next too within Codemasters. The photo mode in Driveclub was immense.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender

What really have they improved upon over GRID 2 for example - seems like more, or less in some cases, of the same. I reinstalled GRID 2 today for nostalgia sake as I remember really enjoying it back when it was released. I really liked GRID and GRID 2, Autosport not so much. GRID 2 today runs fantastic and looks great for a 6 year old game. I'm running it on an Ultra-Wide at 3440x1440 with every graphic setting at max and still get 140-240 fps, around 148 fps average - crazy. Note, I realize they've added weather conditions but I personally don't like rainy weather so that's a downgrade for me. Just a little baffled on the value of GRID 2019.

6. torque99

torque99

On the forums they did say if there is enough interest they would consider implementing one, but I can not see it coming soon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    ykiki and KiroKai like this.
  7. MroczMR

MroczMR

I love this game so far. Great fun driving, great AI. Only one drawback. Base PS4 version looks ugly and have 10FPS rear view mirrors... With 30FPS cap it isn't too good. I wonder what went wrong. Pcars 2 looks good on PS4 compare to PS4Pro, GTSport looks great, Dirt Rally 2.0 also looks very good on base PS4. Most game have only advantage of higher resolution on PS4Pro and here we have higher resolution, 60FPS (base PS4 30FPS) and more details, it looks like standard consoles were treated as second category.

8. Tristan H

Tristan H

It seems like they have really dropped the ball with this. The great single player campaign is one of the primary reasons that Race Driver Grid is so fondly remembered.

Race Driver Grid didn't have many cars and tracks either, but the campaign was so fun that it didn't matter.

LivingWithGames likes this.
  9. MroczMR

MroczMR

I think that new GRID is very very good on the gameplay side. I have just concerns about optimization for base consoles.

FoRiZon likes this.
  10. R55NA

R55NA

That is a shame about the base console performance. Its hard to trust reviews of titles launched in 2019 (and 2020) as the high praise on Metacritic could have come from a XBX or PSPRO.

Played Modern Warfare beta few weekends back, and it was diabolical. Looks worse than what I remember Modern Warfare original on XB360. Yet everyone gives it high praise as they're playing on superior software.

11. MroczMR

MroczMR

Yeah it is sad.

Here there is Xbox One (standard) direct feed from GRID. PS4 version looks better, But it will give you base concept how this game looks on standard consoles

ykiki likes this.
  12. Russ Petersen

Russ Petersen

How about controllers? How you finding it? I really don't want to buy this on PC just so I can use my sim rig wheel. I much prefer to buy it on Xbox one X and do couch racing for an arcade title.

13. ykiki

ykiki

Well, I've only got a Xbox One S, so I'm really interested in seeing how it looks when I start playing tonight (UPS says it was just delivered to my home).

torque99 likes this.
  14. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Excellent. Nicely weighted and responsive. Good levels of adjustment as well to suit needs but I found the default to be very good.

torque99 likes this.
  15. torque99

torque99

I have to agree with @MagpieRacer I'm on PC but at the moment using an Xbox One X controller until I get my wheel set up for it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Brands Hatch in reverse is hilarious.

UKMikey and torque99 like this.
  17. Slapped

Slapped Premium

What I found funny was that I've driven Brands Hatch so much in correct direction that when watching that I instinctively knew the breaking points for the reserve direction.

What I found hilarious however was Australian and American accents introducing a race at Brands Hatch. It's like a brit accent commentating on a NASCAR or V8 Supercar race - just wrong ;)

18. Bush_Killa-73

Bush_Killa-73

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far. It's been liked to Ridge Racer, Driveclub and even project Gotham Racing on some reviews. Would say it was an insta buy from me on that basis but think I'll do what I did with Dirt Rally 2 and wait till the Ultimate Edition drops down to the £40 mark. Gonna go with Wreckfest instead just now as it's only £24.99.

GRID has had a few too many decent reviews for it to be not worth playing though. Fair play to anyone who's supported the game from the start. I look forward again to the series future as it evolves a bit more feature and content wise.

fikridroid and torque99 like this.
  19. ykiki

ykiki

Ok, I had just short of an hour this morning to give it a little run.

My first impression is that it feels somewhat liberating to get into an arcade mindset and realize that it's ok to slam other cars at times - because that's what they kind of do to you as well. Just don't go overboard since a clean lap is always faster.

Now my biggest complaint (and right now it's kind of big). I'm paying on an Xbox One S and it looks horrible. Not "omg it's PS1 graphics" or anything like that, but that kind of fuzzy look you get when your cell phone doesn't have good reception and you're trying to watch YouTube. I keep waiting for it to get sharp and it never happens.

It this point I'm thinking of taking my glasses off the next time I play.

The bottom line - if you're on a console and don't have PS4 Pro or a One X, then you might have to temper your expectations a LOT, though there's fun to be had if you look past it.

Edit: I think I was a bit harsh in the beginning. It's a little better now that I'm paying at night and I've turned down the gamma setting. Still, not as crisp as one would expect.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    R55NA, ongias25 and torque99 like this.
  20. Jay84

Jay84

I can confirm a few things:

No demo derby (Its now a MP only pre lobby mess with no damage models)
    No drifting events
    No Togue

21. torque99

torque99

There is one point to point track called a Sprint (not Touge) through the Japanese mountains of Okutama with different length stages. You can set custom match up with 1 AI and race to your hearts content round those bends. I am sure more will follow:tup:

Jay84 likes this.
  22. Jay84

Jay84

Ah nice thanks! I hope we get more I love point to point!

23. Zona

Zona Premium

It's a fun arcade racer. But it feels very lackluster... Career is just Freeplay where you have to unlock races. There is no story like other GRID games. It feels like half a game.

Tynesider and ongias25 like this.
  24. JeffKill

JeffKill

Downloaded it last night and played for about an hour and a half. Playing on xbox one x with a Thrustmaster TS-XW and the FFB is barely there. No matter what I do with the sliders I get no change. I saw a thread on CM's site and posted in there. Hoping for a fix.

25. Tynesider

Tynesider

Enjoyed the read but it doesn't seem to match up with the majority of the user reviews ive watched or read. While some do and most of the big outlets scored it quite high, i still have reservations about purchasing it right now at full price.

If a good sale comes along and the value seems right i'll probably pick it up but for now im gonna just wait abit.

26. Kart_Forever

Kart_Forever

Same platform and equipment here. The FFB is there but it's very subtle compared to sim-oriented titles; I'm figuring that is how Codemasters intended it to be.

27. JeffKill

JeffKill

Yeah. You can definitely feel it there, just extremely light. Really just want a little more weight to the wheel to be honest. Even just 20% more weight would make it easier to feel whats going on. I still feel no difference at all when I adjust the sliders.

28. 05XR8

05XR8

Just Brenner using the TC-2 cars. Brings sme back to the ToCA days. Love the in-car cam.

I haven't adjusted the DS4 settings, but maybe the steering needs I be a bit quicker. Other ham that, its good.