United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
GTP Grudge Match - Invincibility Round
Volvo 240 vs Mercedes-Benz W124

800px-Volvo_240_sedan_2.jpg

800px-1990-1993_Mercedes-Benz_230_E_%28W124%29_sedan_01.jpg

Long ago, in a distant place called 'Europe' there was a time in which cars were built to last. Engineers held sway over designers, cars were driven hard, and even while being driven to pieces, the vehicles never complained. Out of the madness that was the malaise era, two champions of durability and outright madness appeared: The Volvo 240 and the Mercedes-Benz W124 (E-Class). These vehicles, how similar they are, and yet completely different. Both have stood the test of time with their timeless looks, unbeatable mechanical superiority, and massive fan bases. You want a car with 200,000 miles on the clock and still has the ability to do another 200K or more? Screw the Toyota Camry, these are your options.

Choose wisely, defend your position.

Quandary... I'm a W123 fan.

It's a difficult point for me to argue, as Volvos are so rare on the ground around here. The Merc W123 and W124 models are common enough that you can find parts and mechanics everywhere, so that gives me a horrible bias towards them.

Last edited:
I would take the Merc

-I like the looks better
-Never had much feeling for the Volvo brand
-Seems like it would be a better cruiser

The Merc.....you can still pick up chicks with it by just telling them you own a Mercedes, they don't need to know it's the bottom rung of the Mercedes ladder. :D

The only thing you'd be picking up in the Volvo is your mother or grandmother.

If I was an over-protective hippie mom from the 80's I would go with the Volvo.

Fortunately I am none of those so I would pick the Merc. Plus my cousin has one so it's the only one I've actually been in.

I was very tempted to suggest that the Volvo was the more durable. Though both cars are used hard, that use is in different ways. The Mercedes no doubt spends it's life pounding motorways in the hands of an executive and this task is particularly stress-free on a car compared to the life the Volvo will have had, ferrying kids to and from school and picking up parking dents, being driven up farm tracks by people of the land who don't yet trust any off-roader not made by Land Rover or any car not made by Volvo and so on.

I voted Mercedes as I see many more of those in better condition than the Volvos I see, but I suspect that's because the Volvos (mostly in estate form) have led significantly harder lives. Perhaps the Volvo is the moral victor.

The W124
*Came with engines ranging from the 71hp 200D to the 500Es mighty 322hp, although that was eclipsed by the rare as hens teeth E60.
*It had the lowest Cd of sedans at it's introduction, ensuring a quiet ride and great fuel economy. (I get ~28mpg per tank in my 94 E320)
*It came in sedan, wagon, coupe and convertible bodystyles.
*It was available with a part time all wheel drive system.
*One of the first vehicles to be primarily made of high strength steels.
*Was designed and engineered during Mercedes heydey for cost no object engineering.
*Surpassed safety standards that had not even been implemented yet (rear offset crash standard.)
*Still looks modern and contemporary today.

***Was so forward looking that (licensed) production continues to this day as the Sssangyong Chairman.

Not even close notwithstanding the Volvo being a worthy competitor

The Mercedes no doubt spends it's life pounding motorways in the hands of an executive and this task is particularly stress-free on a car compared to the life the Volvo will have had, ferrying kids to and from school and picking up parking dents, being driven up farm tracks by people of the land who don't yet trust any off-roader not made by Land Rover or any car not made by Volvo and so on..

In Germany the Merc was often tasked with taxi duties. I'd wager that's a harder life then taking Tarquin and Poppy to school and picking up ripe and ready Avocados from Sainsburys.

240. To steal a line from Volkswagen, it has lower ego emissions. I've never been one for German luxury cars. That, and the Volvo's parts are cheaper (though not by much) and it's easier to get speed parts without having to go to a big-name luxury tuner that you'll have to pay through the nose for.

Going solely on looks I'd take the Benz, the Volvo is hideous. Plus with some different wheels, a better stance and black paint the E-Class would actually look pretty good.

However I've know a couple people with the Volvo and those things are freaking tanks. One guy in high school had one with 350,000 miles on it and the only issue with it was it burned oil. So that sort of sways me towards the 240. Also I could put a prancing moose sticker on it which is full of win. I just don't think I can get past the looks of it though.

So I guess if I was looking for something for myself I'd get the Benz, if I was going to recommend one to someone I'd tell them to get the Volvo. For the purpose of this grudge match I'm going to vote the Benz.

Think you picked the wrong Merc for this invincibility round as the predecessor of the W124, the W123 is widely regarded ( and objectively proven to be ) as being better build and the last of the truly overengineered Benzes and it also shares the early timeline with the 240 ( although differently named at that time ).
In short the W123 and 240 are basically from the same generation ( being developed and introduced at roughly the same time, the W124 was introduced much later ).:)

( As for the W124, I take the 500E version thank you very much ).

In Germany the Merc was often tasked with taxi duties. I'd wager that's a harder life then taking Tarquin and Poppy to school and picking up ripe and ready Avocados from Sainsburys.

True. But then I'd wager that the average German taxi driver is a significantly better and more mechanically sympathetic driver than the average hormonal school-run mum.

Had a W124 a few years back and that was my first Benz, i was very surprised at how smooth it was for a 1991 model, beautiful! I am looking forward to get another one like that in the future, if i get the chance, i will not hesitate... ;) Great Cars that last (without even trying hard) unless of course if you get into an accident like myself :(

The Merc, too many pros that outweigh the cons. The Volvo may be good but the Merc does a little better in most of those categories and has the looks, interior and speed over the Volvo.

Mercedes.

I would only ever get the Volvo as a wagon, while the Merc is still cool as a sedan.

The Merc is also quite a bit the nicer car, and still looks current.

I voted Mercedes as I see many more of those in better condition than the Volvos I see, but I suspect that's because the Volvos (mostly in estate form) have led significantly harder lives. Perhaps the Volvo is the moral victor.

That's what I'm working off. It's been a long time since I saw a Volvo of this shape.

I've decided to go Volvo. Despite the cars being so similar in size and performance, the 240 just sits better with my preference toward total awkwardness. I've seen far too many pushing over 200K and still having owners demanding $3K. They'll get it, they always do. They last forever, and even when broken, they're amazing pieces of machinery to behold. Take the thunder with the 240 Turbo, and yeah, you're going to have some fun.

So, how often will these Grudge Matches be done? Because I've got an idea for the next one.

Every once in a while. I plan on focusing on some of the more polarizing, but similar cars that were major rivals back in the day. I'm not planning on touching modern matches... yet.

You have to be crazy to pick the Volvo, my buddy is a Mercedes machanic and he's told me that Mercedes are built like race cars. My other friend owns a dealership and the stuf thay have built on the side are just crazy. Volvos just plane suk

Haha, reminds me of a scene in "Two and a half Men" where Megan Fox (Prudence) asked Alan: What car do you drive ? Answer: A Volvo station-wagon. WRONG ANSWER ! :-D

LOL, never heard of 5th gear.. Top Gear rip off... :sly:

It's more of a Top Gear cast off. Some of the presenters were presenters of Top Gear in the past, and it's created in the style of the previous format of Top Gear. Top Gear has been going since 1977 but only been in it's current studio based format since 2002.

Back