Gruppe5's BMW 2002 Restomod is an 800hp V10 Monster

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, May 10, 2019.

1. Joey D

Joey D Premium

With that many made I'm sure someone out there has a whole fleet of pristine ones.

If I had the money, I'd buy one of these just to piss off enthusiasts because there's nothing better than a salty enthusiast in the automotive world.

Oh don't get me wrong, the end result is hideous. But I can tolerate a handful of hideous cars when it's not rare in the first place. Now if it was a 2002 Turbo, it'd be a different story since that is actually rare.

2. Tornado

Tornado

That's a lot of cool stuff going into this car for a lot of money for them to present it with renders that look like a mod for Vice City.

Sick Cylinder likes this.
  3. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

... yeah, bet ya go trophy hunting elephants and snow leopards too, to make a nice patchwork quilt... don'tcha.

4. Vegard

Vegard

While trying to imagine who would want to spend $1M on this abomination I've come to the realization that I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

5. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Well, those are endangered species. Do you know what's not an endangered species? The BMW 02.

If we were talking about hacking up a 2002 Turbo, I'd feel very different. But this just a standard BMW that had over 800,000 examples made.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  6. CSMDuty11

CSMDuty11

For something called Gruppe5, you'd think they'd have gone wilder.
    That said also, it was apparently a thing for a while now

7. Tornado

Tornado

I sure know that most "regular people" cars of the 1960s and 1970s from other manufacturers didn't even make it through the 1980s even if you're just limiting it to them rusting into the ground. BMWs of this era don't seem to be any different in that respect.

So, in response to "salty enthusiasts" being dismissed out of hand because BMW made so many, I take it you researched the numbers still left on the road for the car that went out of production 42 years ago?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Wolfe likes this.
  8. 05XR8

05XR8

Depends how far back you want to go.

Put some wagon wheels on it and it handles like it's on....:sly:
    upload_2019-5-11_5-58-12.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Even if around 90% of them are gone some, that still leaves nearly 100,000 left in existence.

People get way too bent out of shape when people start modifying classic cars, especially classic cars that were built in huge numbers. If it's something that started with just a couple hundred examples, it's a little different. But the 02 BMW was massed produced to the point that it's funny anyone gets offended that some company is hacking up, at most, 300 of them.

10. Famine

Famine Administrator

Excluding the tii (and the 56 cabriolets), there's 394 2002s still on the UK's roads alone...

... but you don't need a roadworthy car for this. You just need a mostly intact body shell will all three of its VIN plates.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  11. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

Are we really golden-calfing so hard that this is comparable to killing off endangered species for fun?

12. Tornado

Tornado

That's some good research.

I'm sure this helps:

13. TexRex

TexRex Premium

[​IMG]

14. RedRockValley

RedRockValley

Hm. The fact that you just only really need a regular 2002 doesn't make me so heated about this idea anymore.

Honestly, I seriously doubt many will turn in their 2002 for this anyway. It's quite pricey.

15. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Who's we?

16. GTboyz

GTboyz

It looks bad too.

17. Leggacy

Leggacy

I don’t care if this is classic car heresy, it appeals to the child in me. I want this in a game, I mean sim :)

18. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

With that kind of approach, instead of Restomod they should've better be gone with the Silhouette instead.

GTboyz likes this.
  19. kikie

kikie Premium

I prefer this one.

[​IMG]

20. 05XR8

05XR8

Bet they'd sell more if they put DTM motors in those. 600hp 2l turbo. ;)

21. Sick Cylinder

Sick Cylinder

300 is obviously a joke. I'll be surprised if they sell more than 3!