GT 4 vs. GT 5 before release time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Makus83
  • 34 comments
  • 3,869 views
Messages
2
Messages
Makus83
Hi guys, I have a question for those of you that remember how was with GT4 before it was released.When I bought my PS2 it was already released so i didn't fallow the news about GT4 development. How the information flow between PD and us went? Did they changed release dates? etc.

Thanks for your opinions
 
Last edited:
Does it matter? It has zero relevance to GT5 and its release date.
 
Kindof a good series of questions. I hope someone answers them and you aren't flamed into oblivion. I think it's worth discussion. I mean what else is there to discuss?

I don't recall the pre-GT4 buildup because I had more of a life back then :guilty:
 
Does it matter? It has zero relevance to GT5 and its release date.

I think you need to re-read the OP as it has relevance to the questions being asked.
 
I remember GT3 being more of a headache than GT4. Although, there were never a shortage of preview pics for GT3, while GT5 has very few (in comparison). GT4 just shot out of nowhere for me, as I wasn't paying much attention back then because I was too busy chasing girls in high school ha ha.
 
GT4 was delayed and the once announced online mode didn't make it into the final game. Then there was some talk to release an online GT later but it never happened on PS2 beside the GT4 Online test version.
You see, history is kinda repeating.
 
I been out 5 years and im still doing that :lol:

Well, me too lol. It's just that the school-factor is out, so I have a little more free time.
 
Well, me too lol. It's just that the school-factor is out, so I have a little more free time.

I used to hate school... you dont realize how great it is till you graduate and have to face the real world... How else would you hang out with all your friends allday and have every female in your neighborhood within 4 years of you in one building?!!?!
 
That's great when you are single Live_FrOm_NY.
 
This is a good thread guys, lets keep on topic here.



Kindof a good series of questions. I hope someone answers them and you aren't flamed into oblivion. I think it's worth discussion. I mean what else is there to discuss?

I don't recall the pre-GT4 buildup because I had more of a life back then :guilty:

Seriously. Most of the forum members are beginning to pick at straws and get attention by making threads requesting some seriously outlandish stuff.

This, while sparse, is quite refreshing.


Sadly I didn't pay much attention to GT3/4 as I had an Xbox :indiff:
 
I never actually knew GT3 until I saw this one news on TV about GT3 being the best selling game in PS2 back then. Then after few days I went out and bought a PS2 and GT3. I never actually got to check GT news until I saw this website. :lol:

By the way, I guess a lot of guys here have been chasing girls in their high school days, too. :lol: Your a nerd if you never did. :)
 
I'm pretty sure all four games were delayed, I think GT1, GT3, and GT5 were all meant to release at the same time as their respective consoles, I definately remember waiting ages for GT3
 
I definately remember waiting ages for GT3
GT3 was released ~ 1 year after the PS2 launched. Nothing compared to the GT5 drama.
GT1 was released 3 years after launch - it clearly wasn't meant to be a launch title.
 
I seem to remember they gave us a confirmed release date for GT4 at least 3 times the first two dates were postponed by a few months and just when we thought it was just around the corner they delayed it by an entire year! I think this time they have tried to spare us this annoyance by not giving us a release date at all although they've still managed to carry on the tradition by recently delaying the Japan release date by a few months, old habits die hard I guess.
 
well GT5 was intended as a launch title and were 3 years past that lol, seriously though im working from memory, whichever way you look at it, they all went well over deadline lol, the only thing we can be partly sure of is that it will probably be worth the wait! ie; AMAZING !
 
I remember that GT4 has been delayed quite a few times. My first go with the GT4 engine was with the BMW demo. You could get it at your local BMW garage and drive a 1 series petrol or Diesel around the Nordschleife for 3 minutes.

I am not suprised by delays for GT5. It's history repeating. But who cares. We all know that it will be good just as the other versions were.

What amazed me was the fact that GT psp was released on Oktober 1st just as they said at last year's E3.
 
The result is always worth the wait but I can't help thinking the wait wouldn't be necessary with a better project manager at the helm. Someone who understands the concept of working to deadlines. Doing what can be done in that timeframe and not bothering with stuff that can't.

KY has vision but I get the impression it often overreaches his grasp. GT is a flagship playstation title and should have been out for launch. Three years down the line and there's still no sign. The upshot is when PS4 comes out I'll wait til GT6 is released and save myself a couple of hundred bucks on the console.
 
I would like PD to share progress their work better with HC fans before final release. As its now seems that PD shows something and get public reaction and they have to change something and every iteration 1 year goes by :). Like with damage. If PD would have asked the questions earlier, damage would have been considered earlier.
 
well GT5 was intended as a launch title and were 3 years past that lol, seriously though im working from memory, whichever way you look at it, they all went well over deadline lol, the only thing we can be partly sure of is that it will probably be worth the wait! ie; AMAZING !

Sort of was under GTHD,if people hadn't of complained about the delivery method of content,we'd probably have a good 800 cars,15 tracks,full online by now :grumpy:
 
Sort of was under GTHD,if people hadn't of complained about the delivery method of content,we'd probably have a good 800 cars,15 tracks,full online by now :grumpy:

I think GTHD as it was originally conceptualized was the worst imagineable scenario for the GT series. It would take an incredible catastrophe to get me to switch to Forza, and that would have been it.
 
^agreed

Paying $900 to $1000 to get a full game is insane!!
 
I´m interested in this comparison. Specially how and when where the reveals of the new cars and features in GT4.

I´m worried because we haven´t seen almost nothing from those things in GT5 (rain, night, racing cars damage, updated GT4 car models, etc...).

I´m afraid we may be further away from release than we expect.
 
I think GTHD as it was originally conceptualized was the worst imagineable scenario for the GT series. It would take an incredible catastrophe to get me to switch to Forza, and that would have been it.

I fully agree mate,and I should added that.I much prefer getting a full release.I'm was just gutted that it could of been at that stage.And as the weeks roll on it seems likely we'll wait E3 comes around before we get everything we want
 
Last edited:
I used to hate school... you dont realize how great it is till you graduate and have to face the real world... How else would you hang out with all your friends allday and have every female in your neighborhood within 4 years of you in one building?!!?!
So, you are either a 12 year old boy getting off with a 16 year old girl, or you are 16 year old teenager, getting off with a 12 year old girl... Maybe things have changed, but when I was at school, a four year gap was HUGE ;)

As for the topic in question, I definitely remember the wait for GT3, but it was nowhere near this agonising ordeal. When GT4 was readying release, I don't recall being that bothered about the wait because it was another GT on the same console - masses more content, just presented worse as it turned out. GT5 definitely ranks as the worst in my experience in terms of waiting for a game to release, and as much as I believe in the "it's ready when it's ready" ethos, part of me still wishes they would move their ass!
 
I didn't say anything about a 4 year age difference... I was referring to the 4 grades in High school... If you were in the 10th, or 11th you would be right in the middle. Beside's the worst case scenario could be a 15 year old with a 17 year old, there are no 12 year olds in HS!! FYI when i was 16 (10th grade) i dated both a senior & a 21 year old. not at the same time of course... Real talk. :cool:

Anyways i think the internet changed everything. I got my game info from Game Informer, and you would find out about games a lot later into their development cycle. The only game i could remember anticipating was GT4, GTA: Vice city, and San Andreas. They weren't nearly as bad of a wait as GT5 though! Look at the movie industry... nowadays we can find out about movies & the entire cast while they are still in pre-production! 10 years ago you saw the trailer on TV and that was it.
 
Last edited:
An example to get a timeline:
http://uk.ps2.ign.com/objects/489/489327_articles.html -> select "News"

GT4:
September-> full car list
start of December-> full blow out
28 december-> japan launch
end of february-> US launch
march->EU launch

So, IF the full car list was made public tomorrow (which it won´t) and GT5 wasn´t any more complex to develop/produce (which it is) the scenario would be the following.

February-> full car lis
Start of May-> full blow out
may/june->japan launch
august/september US/EU launch.

That´s in a BEST case scenario. So, mind you. GT5 is going to be the car driving game of autumn/winter 2010, just in time to create momentum for the sony-mote thing.

Regards.
 
GT4:
September-> full car list
start of December-> full blow out
28 december-> japan launch
end of february-> US launch
march->EU launch

So, IF the full car list was made public tomorrow (which it won´t) and GT5 wasn´t any more complex to develop/produce (which it is) the scenario would be the following.

February-> full car lis
Start of May-> full blow out
may/june->japan launch
august/september US/EU launch.

That´s in a BEST case scenario. So, mind you. GT5 is going to be the car driving game of autumn/winter 2010, just in time to create momentum for the sony-mote thing.

Regards.

This is what I was interested in and too lazy to determine myself. I really hope they break tradition :indiff:
 
I remember more screen shots prior to GT4. The flow of information seemed more steady with prior releases. Sony / PD probably had to promote more back then.

Sony does not need to promote the GT brand as much as they used to. The anticipation level for GT5 is already higher than any other release combined.

I actually appreciate them holding out on the "blowout" of info. In a way this info overload ruined the release of GT4. (wall papers, videos, etc.)

The problem with PD's shroud of secrecy and ambigious detail is that it's adding even more hype and causing ridiclous speculation that borders hysteria!

GT5 is such an ambitious and important project for Sony. Similar to GT2 they are trying to blow us away with content and depth, but they are also trying to add the graphics jump or wow factor that amazed us with GT3. No wonder it's taking so long!

I just hope GT5 can live up to the hype.
 
Back