GT Academy - Boot Camp - Final Four (Confirmed)

• Thread starter Sphinx
  • 30 comments

Sphinx

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
England
GTP_Sphinx
ps3logokl4.jpg

:: GT Academy Boot Camp - Final Four ::

gtalogo.jpg

4396471252_d5c1dd34f3.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtacademy2010/

Final Four: (Confirmed)

Jordan Tresson (21) - GT_driver_BMW (FR)
Daniel Collins (31) - DarkEnergyForce (IE)
Marco Calvo Acedo (22) - MakaayX (ES)
Luca Lorenzini (26) - Giagua (IT)

GT Academy News
And then there were four…

Second round of eliminations for Nissan and PlayStation®’s GT Academy 2010 takes place after a punishing day of challenges

Silverstone, Sunday 28 February 2010 – After the toughest day of the competition so far, the fate of the eight Gran Turismo® racers left in GT Academy 2010 has been decided. Jordan Tresson from France, Marco Calvo from Spain, Luca Lorenzini from Italy and Daniel Collins from Ireland will all progress to the final two days of the Silverstone ‘boot camp’. The four will keep their hopes alive of being one of two drivers that will undergo an intensive race training programme to qualify for an International C Race licence. One winner will then progress to drive a Nissan 370Z GT car in the European GT4 Cup.

Day three began with a 6.00am wakeup call for participants. They were taken to Silverstone’s off-road experience area to be put through an extreme fitness test. Three ex-marines guided them through an assault course that would be tough at any time. In temperatures of less than two degrees, with driving rain, wind, mud and lots of water it became almost unbearable for some of the competitors. Mental and physical strength were pushed to the limits but all eight hopefuls made it through.

“This was not really a test of fitness, but more one of mental stamina,” explained ex-Royal Marine Commando Ben Mason who ran the assault course. “In that respect, they all did very well. Some of the guys might not have been fit by our standards, but they pushed hard to the end in difficult conditions.”

France’s Jordan Tresson had both the physical and mental aptitude required to take first place. He was followed home by Italy’s Giacomo Cunial and Ireland’s Daniel Collins.

After a much-needed hot shower and breakfast, the competitors met with Nissan athlete Geraldine Fasnacht. The Swiss gave the racing hopefuls an insight into her life as an extreme sportswoman and what it takes to survive at the top.

Former ITV Formula 1 presenter, and ex-Jordan Grand Prix press officer, Louise Goodman then enlightened the participants in the ways of the media. She gave them a brief but impressive media training workshop to prepare them for a possible life as a racing driver.

Back at Silverstone the competitors were back on track, albeit a damp track. They continued to hone their car control with a drifting test in the rear wheel drive manual Nissan 370Z. The contestants enjoyed the pleasure of lapping Silverstone’s National Circuit in the GT-R set-up in race mode. The final, and perhaps most challenging, on-track session of the day took place in Silverstone’s single-seaters on the new Stowe Circuit. The GT Academy instructors assessed all activities to feed back to the judges.

In a packed day, there was no let-up for the competitors on their return to the hotel. They were taken straight to a class room to undertake their ARDS (basic race licence) exam before a mind-coaching session with a Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) expert.

A welcome addition to the Academy judging panel today was former Formula One team owner, Eddie Jordan. The BBC F1 presenter, who counts Michael Schumacher as one of his former protégées, was impressed with the competitors: “I’m staggered by the standard,” explained the experienced Irishman. “I didn’t believe that it was possible for people from the virtual world to have that relationship with the car. They are undoubtedly the quickest and best on PlayStation 3, but to come here and display such immediate talent, speed, commitment and understanding is impressive. I underestimated them. They are racing drivers in disguise!

“It’s going to be an interesting couple of days with these four guys. If it is as difficult to get them from four to two as it was to separate this eight, it is going to be very hard for us!”

The GT Academy 2010 continues tomorrow (Monday) and Tuesday with the on-track action intensifying. The judges will be scrutinising all four competitors before a final decision on the two winning drivers is taken on Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Can we put names to the faces?

Luca Lorenzini, Marco Calvo, Jordan Tresson and Daniel Collins.

(oh and Rob Barff, Sabine Schmitz, Eddie Jordan and Johnny Herbert :D )

Official report to follow...

EDIT:
...Report now on first post.

Congratulations to the four who made it through to the next stage of GT Academy. 👍

Last edited:
Wow im amazed, all the final 4 were slower than me in the time trial! but obvoiusly there looking for the all round package, thats why some maybe faster drivers have been knocked out. Will be rooting for jordan.. known him on a psn for about 2 years. Other 3 i dont know atall or even heard of them before GT Academy.

I think there were plenty of young and eligible guys(like you Mark!) just like these if not better in some cases that were knocked out because of the poor finals format and that was the biggest reason amongst other reasons why we've ended up with guys not that quick in the TT. I don't suppose they were ramming and drafting each other in the GT-R's and Formula Silverstones' yesterday ! :)

Don't really know anyone of the finalists. Only remember to have raced against Daniel Collins online.

Wow im amazed, all the final 4 were slower than me in the time trial! but obvoiusly there looking for the all round package, thats why some maybe faster drivers have been knocked out.

Hi Mark,

I'm sure that factors other than just pure pace are important... this is a great pulicity event for Sony and PD, so having someone who can effectively handle the media is always going to be important.

But ultimately the orgainsers are looking for someone who can drive a real car quickly, not someone who's good at computer games... and being quick at computer games does not automatically mean you'll be quick in a real car.

IIRC, Lucas wasn't anywhere near the fastest on the PS3 part of the last GT Academy. Also, I won years North West karting... the field included John (Prudentbear) and he's miles faster than me on GT5P ;)

As I'm still surprised how all the fastest TT demo lads are out. Here's another post with the rankings and times. It appears the relatively (!!) slower TT demo people are performing better on an actual track.
I'm putting my money on Daniel.

Jordan Tresson (21) - GT_driver_BMW (FR) - 18 - 3.23.579
Daniel Collins (31) - DarkEnergyForce (IE) - 7 - 3.24.888
Marco Calvo Acedo (22) - MakaayX (ES) - 19 - 3.23.520
Luca Lorenzini (26) - Giagua (IT) - 13 - 3.23.773

Hi all,even though GT time trial gives you the racing lines and basic feel how to drive quickly it can be very different on a real track.

When contesting the british Super 1 Kart champs,i had countless fastest laps, a handfull of wins and finished 2nd in championship.........i came 42nd in the UK for the academy time trial....not what i had hoped for.lol

I have a feel, Jordan will be the man this year.

As I'm still surprised how all the fastest TT demo lads are out. Here's another post with the rankings and times. It appears the relatively (!!) slower TT demo people are performing better on an actual track.
I'm putting my money on Daniel.

Jordan Tresson (21) - GT_driver_BMW (FR) - 18 - 3.23.579
Daniel Collins (31) - DarkEnergyForce (IE) - 7 - 3.24.888
Marco Calvo Acedo (22) - MakaayX (ES) - 19 - 3.23.520
Luca Lorenzini (26) - Giagua (IT) - 13 - 3.23.773

That there isnt a REAL fast TT guy in the list doesnt mean they cant drive for real. But this competition is just about so much more than only racing, media is a big thing and fitness has a good chunk in the decision aswell. I believe people forget about Dan Holland, about fastest around in Silverstone before knocked out I believe and he can be seen as 1 of the 3 best TT drivers! Hes not knocked out due to bad racing, but due to a mistake he made that cost him a lot more than he thought...

And Jordan Tresson is the man to beat all week long if you look at an overall picture. Hes fast in the cars, hes good at fitness and I guess hes good at media-things aswell. And looking at his times he drove a really fast TT-time so from all those facts... I put my money on him, and that he has a good TT-time is just, coincidence just as it would be that the slowest guy in TT is going to win...

A big Congratulations to the four who made it through to the next stage of GT Academy.

Ive been following Daniel Collins on his twitter page and I am so Happy for Him and the job he has been doing.👍

It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned.
Frank A. Clark

People keep confusing the "Real driving simlulator" part with reality it self :lol:! The game is similar but still is far far away from reality. Theres are many important factors that we all dont feel like in reality, and one of them is FEAR:sly:! The more you can REALLY drive in real life, the more youll be good and give a good performance in GTA. Theory is good but with no real pratice... well...;)

IIRC, Lucas wasn't anywhere near the fastest on the PS3 part of the last GT Academy. Also, I won years North West karting... the field included John (Prudentbear) and he's miles faster than me on GT5P ;)

Lucas was 11th in the competition and 2nd in spain.. thats really fast ;)

Then I don't remember correctly :lol:

He didn't look that good on the GT5 demo at the UK finals though ;)

The final day sounds like it is going to be the best day. To increase the competition between the judges a bit, the four finalists have each been given a mentor, I know that Dan has got Johnny Herbert (probably the best choice for racing Silverstone) but not sure about the others. The grand finale is head to head racing, should be very exciting. I don't think a win is an automatic place in the final two though, they will be taking all factors into account.

The guys that have been eliminated get two 3-hour driving sessions today, and they don't have to do the "triathlon" that the finalists have done this morning, so they are very pleased! Last year this was running to the track from the hotel, cycling round the track and then driving round the track.

The decision on the two that go through is about 7pm tonight. Then there is a big "wrap party" which sounds like it is going to be fun :cheers:

Last edited:
the "triathlon" that the finalists have done this morning, so they are very pleased! Last year this was running to the track from the hotel, cycling round the track and then driving round the track.

I thought you were going to say swimming round the track! Prehaps on Sunday it would have been possibly. :dunce:

Is Jordan our own Jordan?

No. Jordan is from Kentucky and, as you know, North America was not involved in GT Academy. Jordan Tresson is French and one of the two GT Academy winners.

Back