GT Academy National Finals - Venues, Dates, Drivers & Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Sphinx
  • 1,013 comments
Safe flight guys and good luck to all of you in the finals:cheers:! Will be funny to actually see your faces and familiar driving styles:D!

One of those days (in GTA) you guys could make an escape and post some news here (by cellphone, maybe)! 👍:)

I guess, for me, the bottom line is, in the real world, damage is the one thing that stops people being too aggressive in most series.

If this had been on a final build, and presuming it has at least the same damage functionality as it's rivals, it would have punished aggressive driving and made it a much cleaner affair.

However, damage doesn't solve everything, cutting corners, tapping the guy in front in to oversteer need to be carefully moderated, but the bumper car Spanish finals would have ended up with most of the cars limping around the track by the end if that was in the real world.. and watching damaged cars limping around a track is not very exciting at all!

Last edited:
I'm still playing catch up and require any information relating to the Italian National Final. Date & venue loacation, for example. Anyone know?

I have the winner and 2nd plave drivers user ID

EDIT:

Also looking for group photos from all finals.

On www.gthq.nl are photo's from the Dutch final. 👍

I'm wishing all the GT Academy finalists good luck at Silverstone, especially the GTP-ers off course :sly:

Last edited:
Great action shot here of one of the worlds best.

1183453.jpg

He will return...watch this space ;)

Last edited:

That's good to see, and consider you lucky to find the exact same track, at the exact same spot lol. It sounds also quite funny to hear the commentator speak that slow lol because I hear him almost everyday and it is so unnatural.

Now on the topic, I guess you're (well everyone) is right, you clearly showed it but every normal person would have noticed the exaggerated slipstream from GT5P.

The 370z seemed to carry its speed much better when it pulled out from the slipstream compared to the F1 car. This could have something to do with the aerodynamics of the F1 car slowing it down alot more. Still the slipstreaming effect in the GT Academy build was way to strong.

So round 2 is over for another year back to the drawing board for most of us, I should probably start my fitness training now so I'm fit and ready to go for next years GTA :), if next years goes ahead I predict it will be so much tougher to get through to round two as I assume the time trial will be held within the GT5 and so many more people will have a crack. Hope to race you GTPers online on Gt5 sometime this year and you can all help me improve my racing :D.

Good Luck to everyone attending the boot camp, you'll need it.

Peace out

Hey you Silverstoners to be, I wish you the best of luck and It will be so nice to see how you guys fare in real life. Your results will give us others a reference point to what could have been possible, even if not so straightforwardly & fully comparable.

Of course you need to be fast there, but you can ruin it all by doing mistakes. This happened last time to some.. . So be alert and avoid the mistakes and you'll do great. You all have the necessary speed built in you :cheers: Good luck again!! 👍 👍

A tuned 370Z as fast has a F1??? it seemed GEORGE_GR33 was right after all... :crazy:

the f1 video was slowed down mate... actually the gt5 speed/place/time are very well made... i just put both together to show how ridiculous slipstream is.. even compared with the f1class .. gt5 slipstream still faster to catch and increases much more speed

I'm not saying the slipstream in GT isn't ridiculous, but isn't it right that F1 cars prevent the slipstream effect to some extent by messing up the airflow.

Greatest of luck and fun to all Silverstone superstars, you've already made us all proud by getting this far and conducting yourselves in the utmost sporting fashion.

:gtpflag:

All the best
Maz

I'm not saying the slipstream in GT isn't ridiculous, but isn't it right that F1 cars prevent the slipstream effect to some extent by messing up the airflow.

Actually should be the other way around right? If F1 cars didn't mess up the air flow, there would then be very little slipstream effect for the car behind. I think of non messed up air flow as meaning your closer to the condition of having no car in front of you, no? Its that darn physics stuff :nervous:

That video is quite interesting, the GT5 slipstream is actually even worse than shown in the video for a few reasons. The F1 cars are going much much faster, yet they STILL have less slipstream effect than the GT5 cars. Add to that, F1 cars have a much higher hp/weight ratio (think motorcycle as an extreme case) The F1 cars are basically topped out very early in the video, they are at terminal speed before reaching the final banked turn, and almost all of their available power is going to over come drag, which again means slipstream is more important compared to the GT5 cars, yet the GT5 cars are STILL more effected...
Anyone have an email address for PD?

On a related note I actually had a very exciting online race last night with one of the top guys from JP at Suzuka, he was not nearly close enough to draft but we were almost matching sector for sector, lap after lap- it was like real racing you read about, after 5 laps I pulled only like 3.5 seconds on him, great fun- all because I started far enough ahead that the drafting didn't come into play :)

Attention Australian GT academy finalists.

Did you guys reveive any freebies?
If so I guess the groaning on the day worked, or maybe they just felt bad when they compared what we got compared to other countries.

My dad just called me saying a farily large box came in the post containing a towel, MAG for PS3 and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Oh yeah and some congratulation letter also mentioning we will be getting a copy of GT5 when it comes out.

Luke

If so I guess the groaning on the day worked, or maybe they just felt bad when they compared what we got compared to other countries.

My dad just called me saying a farily large box came in the post containing a towel, MAG for PS3 and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Oh yeah and some congratulation letter also mentioning we will be getting a copy of GT5 when it comes out.

Luke

Haven't seen or heard anything up here from Sony yet regarding that stuff..... **edit** Just got the gear then!

Last edited:
Same here zdenko!

Seems the chat on the day worked, or Sony got to see some of the other events unfold after theirs, put yourself in their shoes though we did have one of the first events on the calender so props to them for sending some gear :)

The box contained a free game 'MAG', a Sony beach towel, drink bottle and carrybag (handy for uni as I don't have one...). Also we received a disc containing all the promotional photo's of the day which i'll have to upload at some point, they are very good, including a separate set of photo's of ourselves posing for the press infront of the 370Z, which are quite hilarious to look at now!

Finally it had a letter thanking us as participants in the event, and telling us that we will be the first to receive a copy of GT5 when it releases in Australia :). Also that we will receive a few more 'Playstation Surprises' throughout the year courtesy of Sony.

I'm stoked at this pack and I thank Sony for posting it out to us, cheers.
Looking forward to the game when it eventually gets here!

Same here zdenko!

Seems the chat on the day worked, or Sony got to see some of the other events unfold after theirs, put yourself in their shoes though we did have one of the first events on the calender so props to them for sending some gear :)

The box contained a free game 'MAG', a Sony beach towel, drink bottle and carrybag (handy for uni as I don't have one...). Also we received a disc containing all the promotional photo's of the day which i'll have to upload at some point, they are very good, including a separate set of photo's of ourselves posing for the press infront of the 370Z, which are quite hilarious to look at now!

Finally it had a letter thanking us as participants in the event, and telling us that we will be the first to receive a copy of GT5 when it releases in Australia :). Also that we will receive a few more 'Playstation Surprises' throughout the year courtesy of Sony.

I'm stoked at this pack and I thank Sony for posting it out to us, cheers.
Looking forward to the game when it eventually gets here!

Wow, sounds very nice. Maybe I should harass our organizers here.. :D

👍 👍

Luke

As soon as I read your post I thought I'd better go check out the front ito see if there was anything there for me, and sure enough the box was sitting there by the door, hahaha, thanks mate!!

Last edited:
:lol: Same story for me,read the post and thought i better take a look outside and there it was 👍 Does anyone know why DHolland didn't go to his media interviews at Silverstone?? I'm really hoping it's a good reason.

:lol: Same story for me,read the post and thought i better take a look outside and there it was 👍 Does anyone know why DHolland didn't go to his media interviews at Silverstone?? I'm really hoping it's a good reason.

It wasn't explained to us. I know the head guy from Jardine tried to get hold of him before the conference started and then continually through the conference (Dan was second-last on the list, so 16 drivers were scheduled to be interviewed ahead of him). Whether Dan opted out deliberately or a 7am-11pm day full of driving, stress and pressure on top of 3 days recovery from an 11-hour timezone shift meant he did it accidentally, I don't know.

It's a pity as he's a nice guy in person - they all were - and I have no doubt his driving was up near the sharp end, but that effective last place in that discipline put him out (as, I'm sure, the last/2nd last in the karting put the German and British guys out and the last in a superpole put Tony - probably my favourite competitor - out too).

Back