Gt cup GR 3 impossible

• Thread starter Calanon
  • 25 comments
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
I have tried nearly every race on the gt cup gr3 and the races seem impossible to me. On all the different tracks I have had to use various different cars with no luck. Does anyone have any advice on what cars to use and strategy or is there an ultimate guide on this series?

I’m totally lost right

Does anyone have any advice on what cars to use and strategy or is there an ultimate guide on this series?
1. advice on car: the one you are comfortably with
2. strategy: depends on the track you are talking about, but generally I prefer the softest available tyre compound, and if pitting is required then do an even split
3. guide: it simply comes down to practice, really, there is nothing else to say about it. this is why 1. is so important - stick with the car you yourself are confident to achieve the best result with

same here. they seem to run off with way more power than you have. driving must be almost perfect to even stand a chance. even at that, i now dont even bother with most races in the 4-5 pepper area.

they seem to run off with way more power than you have.
There is 3 possible reasons, 2 of them are related.
1. They are, because you entered a race where tuning is allowed and you entered with a car that is either not tuned or you have a setup that is not suited for the race.

2. You are running with too much TCS.

3. Your corner exits are bad.

driving must be almost perfect to even stand a chance.
This is something that can be overcome by with practice.
If you dont want to, you dont need to, but it is far from impossible and even further away from requiring perfect driving.

For anyone struggling with the GT Cup Gr.3 events, the Ford GT Spec II Test Car is erroneously given way more power than it should have under BoP in the latest update. While that has resulted in that car being banned from Sport Mode, it's still fair game in World Circuits, so make use of this probably short lived opportunity if you want a quick and easy win.

This should also work for the Maggiore 1 Hour Mission Race, though I haven't tested it myself.

I definitely feel your pain on this particular series - this is one of the very few that I am still not at 100% completion on (think I've managed just 5 of the 8). Your best bet as others have said above is to practice but I would also suggest you search YouTube for the particular track (i.e. gran turismo 7 gt cup gr 3 maggiore). I've found Prodigy Racer and Playstation Racer (aka Mitchell Morgan) videos quite helpful. Also start with the ones that have just 2 on the difficulty and remember you don't have to win on the first lap - some of these I've taken the lead with 1 lap to go and barely hung on for a win. Keep at it and good luck!

I think the shortest is the Daytona Oval at under 10 mins - I think most of them are less than 15 - at least the 5 I've done have been.

I think the shortest is the Daytona Oval at under 10 mins - I think most of them are less than 15 - at least the 5 I've done have been.
Oh ok that’s not bad, I was thinking they were 30 min each or more. I’ll try to make up a run through for each one over the next couple of days, and post them here to help.

Edit, Race 1 RBR is uploading now, in the 911 GT3. Also don’t forget these are chilli races, So the difficulty settings are backwards. Hard settings the easiest setting, and easy is World Tour Driver setting lol. Same for a few of the mission races too, PD has a funny sense of humour with the chilli races, there’s no “easy” option.

Last edited:
Also don’t forget these are chilli races, So the difficulty settings are backwards. Hard settings the easiest setting, and easy is World Tour Driver setting lol. Same for a few of the mission races too, PD has a funny sense of humour with the chilli races, there’s no “easy” option.
Are you serious? I've been specifically selecting Easy on these thinking it was the best way to get them done! No wonder I've found them so difficult. :irked::ouch::banghead:

That's why they look so easy in the YouTube videos because those are done on Hard difficulty.

Looks like I'll be finishing the other 3 this afternoon one of which is that RBR one - did you use Wet or Intermediate tires for that one?

Are you serious? I've been specifically selecting Easy on these thinking it was the best way to get them done! No wonder I've found them so difficult. :irked::ouch::banghead:

That's why they look so easy in the YouTube videos because those are done on Hard difficulty.

Looks like I'll be finishing the other 3 this afternoon one of which is that RBR one - did you use Wet or Intermediate tires for that one?
I used intermediate for the RBR race, in the 911. It gets a touch over the 2nd bar for a few min, but then starts to dry a bit, and inters are better for more laps than were are. I have Bathurst uploading now, and here are the first 3 for reference races. I’ll add Bathurst to this post once it’s done uploading.

911 GT3 on Inters, No Stop, TCS3.

Ford GT LM Test Car.

911 GT3, No Stop.

Bathurst, 911 GT3, 1 stop. Save a bit of fuel on the first stint, and pit on lap 6 for fuel and tires, then go hard for the last 4 laps.

Last edited:
Really nice job on RBR there - your lines are way better than mine :) - was super close at the end.

I just was able to finish that one now - I went with the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car on Wets with TCS 5 and given what you said above I set it to Hard difficulty. Slowly built an almost 5 second lead and finally cleared that race. The key is doing laps in the 1:46 to 1:48 range. One thing I noticed is that the field is very dependent on what car you choose. I started with the Ford GT LM Spec II Race Car and about halfway through that race the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car caught me and I couldn't keep up. When I chose to use the Test car instead that one was not in the lineup and fortunately there wasn't anything that could keep up with me.

Here are the last 4 races, I should have just split Daytona 5/5, I did a 6th lap on the first stint, and ended up finishing right on the bumper of P1 at the line. And I wasn’t doing it over again over a cars length lol.

911 GT3, No Stop.

911 GT3, No Stop

911 GT3, No Stop.

911 GT3, 1 Stop. I should have stopped on lap 5, instead of lap 6.

Last edited:
Thanks for those! Impressed you got away with only using 1 car for all of them except the Oval. I've used a different car on each of the ones I've completed so far. Any particular settings you are using for the Porsche 911 that you can share?

Thanks for those! Impressed you got away with only using 1 car for all of them except the Oval. I've used a different car on each of the ones I've completed so far. Any particular settings you are using for the Porsche 911 that you can share?
Thanks, hopefully they are helpful. I used the same car for all of them just to keep it simple/less credits, and it’s kind of a good middle ground Gr3 car too. I think I could have won the Daytona Oval race with it too, but I kept getting spun out by the AI 3-5 laps in, so I just used the Ford and called it a day on that one lol. I don’t think these races allow tuning, but for setting you can change, I was using TCS 3 for the rain, and mostly BB+1 for the other races.

Your lap times at Bathurst are just crazy - this is the final one I need to complete and I'm barely putting in 2'10s right now - guess I just need more practice before I'm going to finish this one.

Your lap times at Bathurst are just crazy - this is the final one I need to complete and I'm barely putting in 2'10s right now - guess I just need more practice before I'm going to finish this one.
It’s a tricky track, there’s a lot of time to be gained in the downhill section, just gotta be super smooth/easy on the inputs as to not upset the car too much. It definitely takes a bit of practice, but luckily you can run just certain sections in the Circuit Experience section, it helps a ton. You got this!

Last edited:
I can definitely say you should run this on Easy - I did so many laps today on this one - when set to Hard the AI's best times were in the low 2'07s and when set to easy they were barely breaking 2'09s. I did one more just now and made it up to 2nd, pitted right behind the 1st place car and came out behind him, passed at the very end of lap 9, I built a decent lead but then hosed the down hill section completely, he passed me and had a 4 second lead as we approached the final 2 turns and somehow I think he ran out of gas so I got lucky and cleared this one. Thanks for all the help and I hope anyone still working on this one will find this thread.

Also, make sure you are running on Manual and pay attention to the gears in the videos - they are incredibly important to smooth, fast, consistent laps.

It took me many attempts to win in Bathurst.Some AI drivers are very agressive.

Finally completed all these races (was stuck at 4th for RBR and hadn’t attempted Daytona oval). Used the Ford GT Spec II Test Car due to the BoP “issues” and made it reasonably easy - won RBR by 0.2s!

Finally completed all these races (was stuck at 4th for RBR and hadn’t attempted Daytona oval). Used the Ford GT Spec II Test Car due to the BoP “issues” and made it reasonably easy - won RBR by 0.2s!
Worth noting that if you have that car as an AI opponent, quit and retry.

Also is boost switched on at Daytona Tri-Oval? I ran in the lead pack all race and it seemed like the speed and the lap times just didn't mesh - and the fastest car was 1.1s quicker over a lap, which I couldn't replicate even in a specific slipstream-chain test.

Also is boost switched on at Daytona Tri-Oval? I ran in the lead pack all race and it seemed like the speed and the lap times just didn't mesh - and the fastest car was 1.1s quicker over a lap, which I couldn't replicate even in a specific slipstream-chain test.
I don’t think boost is on at the Tri-Oval. I walked that race on Hard even though there was another Ford GT T starting well behind me.

IMG_0968.jpeg

Something's ****y.

I just ran Deep Forest twice back to back, one with an AI Ford GT Spec II and one without - both times in my RX-Vision.

In the Ford GT race, I was comfortably second after a lap, then the Ford pulled away as fast as I was gapping third - about a second a lap each. +5 and -5 at the end, with a 1:27.high as his and the overall best lap and a 1:28.low as mine, with pretty much 1:28.mid-1:29.low every lap. I wasn't close enough for slipstream to be part of that.

The following race I didn't hit the front until lap three, then had the RCZ and Huracan glued to me for two laps before a gap somehow opened up. The kicker is that my fastest race lap was 1:30.0, and until a random AI put in a 1:28.2 on the final lap I was chasing a 1:29.2, and I'd be up in S1 (start line - so max speed - to tunnel A) and S2 (tunnel A, with all the to uphill tunnel - so max acceleration), then drop 0.8-1.0s in the final sector (hairpin to finish). Every lap was a 1:30.low

I drive the RX-Vision more than anything else. If it's going to lose time to the AI it's in the uphill and high speed sections, and that's without the consideration of losing a second consistently every lap compared to myself.

Also the grip the AI has is insane. As an experiment I side-swiped the 911 RSR off into the gravel at Red Bull Ring and it still passed me as fast as the Genesis passing me the other side, on the track, did...

Back