GT for Dummies

• Thread starter slowmotion
  • 7 comments
Hello everyone . I have been visiting these forums lately as a guest and decided to join now that i got a copy of GT5 P . Judging by most of the posts it seems the majority of you are hardcore drivers who would give Schumaker a run for his money .

I on the other hand am absolutely hopeless :dunce: . I am struggling just to qualify and even when i do it is usually a messy affair i.e i use the A.I as a braking device on most hairpins to keep me on the road at their expense . Thus i haven't even considered going online yet since that is obviously frowned upon :)

Anyway i am hopeing if anyone would like to give me some basic pointers since i have no knowledge of real life car physics and other stuff like that . If there is already a post like this for novice drivers please tell me wjere i can find it .

Currently i am using the analog stick to steer and the default controls . standard mode , bumper cam and automatic transmission . i also haven't fiddled with any of the other traction or braking assists .

Apart from general tips and hints i would like to know if :

1) should i ever use the handbrake

2) on daytona , is it better to take the corners on the inside , middle or outside .

3) for hairpins , what is the correct method . drift ? / brake to near standstill and then turn / brake and turn togeather ?

4) what is drafting ?

5) how close do i need to be to the car in front to get the benefit of a slipstream .

Thanks in advance . Any help will be greatly appreciated .

1. no
2.middle (in my opinion) you get speed(outside) and less mileage(inside)
3.brake till you have full traction, then go from outside to inside and when you pass the apex (middle of the turn) accelerate and dont brake to get out as fast as possible)
4.slipstream
5.when you dont hear the wind in your windshield.

1. no
2.middle (in my opinion) you get speed(outside) and less mileage(inside)
3.brake till you have full traction, then go from outside to inside and when you pass the apex (middle of the turn) accelerate and dont brake to get out as fast as possible)
4.slipstream
5.when you dont hear the wind in your windshield.

thank you sir , your advice on point 3 has helped me qualify 3 of the class A races .

No problem. Good to know it helped you alot. If you have any more questions, just ask. We are here to help.

As for cornering, you want to enter the corner from the outside, and by the middle of the corner (aka the apex), you should be on the inside of the corner with the car pointed towards the exit and ready to accelerate. When driving with no assists (especially in powerful rear wheel drive cars), resist punching the throttle until you have the front wheels straight. If you do it while the wheels are still turned, chances are that you'll spin out.

However, for tight turns that lead to long straightaways, I like to use a trick called "Diamond Cutting." Simply put, Diamond Cutting just means that instead of making the apex in the middle, you make it later through the turn. You keep the car on the outside of the turn, then point it inside to the late apex and get in the throttle much earlier than you would with a standard cornering technique. When done properly, you will probably lose time entering the turn, but you will gain more than you lost once you go down the straightaway due to the better momentum and exit speed. I hope I explained this clearly enough...if anyone else would like to chime in on this, feel free to.

As for your Daytona question, it really doesnt matter which line you use. Just use whatever line you can to draft cars ahead of you or keep cars behind you. As far as pure lap times, I know that in NASCAR qualifying runs, they hug the bottom of the track.

1. Not for racing. It's mostly there for screwing around.

2. I don't have GT5P, but I assume you're talking about the oval part of the track. Even though the turns are long and wide, you should still follow the racing line -- as juniordee briefly explained, before the corner you should be near the outside edge of the track, roughly halfway through the corner you should be near the inside edge of the track, and after the corner you should be near the outside edge of the track again. What's nice about an oval is that the turns are so huge that the racing line is relatively easy to follow.

3. As is often said, slow in, fast out. Get most/all of your braking done before you reach the corner, and follow the racing line. It's sometimes helpful to modify your racing line so that the apex (the point where you are closest to the inside edge of the track) occurs a little bit later than usual, especially on hairpins. This enables you to get on the throttle a bit earlier on corner exit, which is the most important part of cornering.

4/5. As Polo609GT said, drafting is using someone's slipstream. Without having played the game myself, I unfortunately have no clue you how close you have to be in GT5P to gain this benefit. However, as long as it doesn't mess up your racing line too much, it's generally a good idea to try to stay right behind cars in front of you until you're ready to pass them.

Currently i am using the analog stick to steer and the default controls . standard mode , bumper cam and automatic transmission . i also haven't fiddled with any of the other traction or braking assists .
After you get some practice, I would recommend switching to manual transmission and eventually turning those assists off. Doing so will enable you to become a faster driver. :)

Back