GT Omega Racing Apex Wheel Stand Review: A Stable Step Up

Glad to hear that. That’s really why I just suggested to get the thing built. One thing I find with the internet, specifically researching a product, is it’s so easy to get lost down a rabbit hole of misinformation or bad experiences, so I’m glad my posts helped. Over think something (story of my life) and it can completely ruin the simplest of things for you. I’m glad you took the plunge and it’s turned out better than you expected :)

Look forward to seeing the finished build.

I have completed the first version hack on the monitor stand for my Apex rig.

Since I have a 3D printer, I decided to print some brackets to mount a wood cross-piece at the front, and some PVC pipe flanges to fix vertical 'legs', cut to height to match the position of the wheel setup I have been adjusting for the past week. Pardon the glue on the pipe I re-used from a previous project. :)

GT-Omega-rig-brackets.jpg

There's a top cross-piece that sits at a level with the top of the cross-bar for the wheelbase mount, and I fixed wood bits that attach to the big holes on that cross-bar, and screw into the wood cross-piece. I had a piece of shelving, also from a previous project, that I attached to that, and, for now, just set the monitor on top. It's pretty close to the back of the T300, and from the front, it's quite low profile. This is pretty much a hack, and I will rebuild it with a bit more tidiness, paint, and cable management, but it does work and the whole thing has me smiling.

GT-Omega_rig_monitor_stand.jpg

I found a set of 3" rubber wheels (M8 threaded posts) and replaced the foot pads. I have a tiny room, and really need to be able to jockey the rig out of the way when I need to access thing like adjustment to my T-LCM pedals. :) They work nicely, though I have a nagging concern about the back seat frame only being attached to the wheel stand by 2 screw. Both ends are supported by 4 grounded bits (post or wheels), and I don't know that there's too much torque. It does seem a bit less sturdy when it's further off the floor.

I might consider adding a bit of reinforcing support. I now have 3.5" of clearance to add a bit of bracing...

Apex far more sturdy it's the 2 extra bars at 45° angle. Yes you give up mobility but not nearly as stable. I saw apex take 8NM fanatec and do a great job. In fact the og model has $40 upgrade that provides those 2 bars. I'm sure it would then be as stable as apex. To give up storage for unstable not me but if you need truly portable. I think apex is 15lbs heavier

Back