GT, S-GT, IRL, IROC, CART, FIA... wtf?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wildbillk
  • 8 comments
  • 896 views
Messages
59
I was playing GT4 of course and once again it sparked my interest in learning more about real life racing. So, not knowing much about racing I didn't know where to go to learn about certain things. I first wanted to learn about Suzuka as it's a track I really enjoy in GT4. The mixture of high speed corners, S turns, slow hairpins, gentle grades, etc make this a really fun track IMO. I think it can present a good challenge to many different styles and power ranges of cars in the game. I did the track with my 1100hp (like) new black R92CP, then hit it again for the classic european car championship in a 100hp Lotus. Well, it was allot of fun with both cars :) While some tracks are fun for a supercar car, it may be really boring and slow for a 100hp car and vice versa, some tracks like autumn ring mini feel rediculous in a 1000hp car.

So I wanted to learn a little more about it and went on the web. I look on the calendar of events and it lists all this stuff, GT, Super GT, FIA, CART racing, Club Man, blah blah What does it all mean? What type of cars are racing in those?

So I turn to my trusted friend. Wikipedia.com
Hands down the coolest online encyclopedia IMO. No ads, no junk, just to the point and lots of good interlinking of info. So I went from reading a little summary about CART to reading about

So that's what Gran Turismo means...
Open wheel racing :dunce:
Wish my cart went that fast - CART/Champcar
Farfignugen? No! Tourenwagen!
I thought this was some breathing thing for pregnant ladies... Le Mans
12 hour Sebring race
LMP -that's Le Mans Prototype to you noobs like me.
I thought IROC was just some tacky knight rider lookin car.
Oh and I linked this great CLR video in another post (making a comment about downforce... or the lack thereof) which I'm sure you saw before but here it is again.

And thanks to some GTP people for some really informative
Rally Car info in this thread.

Oh and I can't leave out one of our favorite cars. "Audi A8" -means eat my dust in German. I was looking at the titles for the 12 hour Sebring race. The Audi R8 was created in 1999. Since then it has taken ALL the sebring 12 hour championships not to mention a ton of other races including La Sarthe 2 years in a row and Nürburging. 👍

Another thing I learned is that Infineon is Sears Point... duh... I thought it seemed familiar. Everytime I drove it I kept thinking of Sears Point. I guess the company bought out the track... and renamed it to the corporate name like everything else nowadays. Few years from now I'll probably take the NEXTEL walkway on Sony street over past the Microsoft duck pond on my way to the Intel hand ball court. As long as I stay off Enron avenue where all those shady crooks hang out.. or was that Pennsylvania avenue... hmm...

Anyways time to crash my digital Audi R8 into a wall in Nürburgring. :scared:

Oh and I'm sure someone posted this but I couldnt find it. What's the fake/real courses of GT4? I think I know them all but some I'm not sure. Especially some of the city races. I live in New York and I never seen race cars go through times square thats for sure. Very fast cabbies but the only points they are earning is on their license. (on a side note the scenery is very well done and pretty accurate. Always wanted to drive past the Plaza hotel at 150mph!).
 
After reading your post I'm a little confused about what you're asking...

Are you happy now about what all the racing series are or are you still looking for some clarification?

As far as I know, all of the city courses are real (that is, based on real locations and real roads). Racing may not happen there (as in the case of New York), but the actual roads do exist.
 
As said above, the locations and streets are all real, but the tracks aren't.

El Capitan is based on a park here in the US. I think all of the city courses are fake (the tracks), except for Cote D' Azur, aka in real life as the course for the Monaco Grand Prix.
 
Imaginary tracks:
Apricot Hill Raceway
Autumn Ring
Autumn Ring Mini
Deep Forest
El Capitan
Grand Valley East
Grand Valley Speedway
High Speed Ring
Midfield
Trial Mountain
Clubman Stage Route 5
Special Stage Route 5
Driving Park: Beginner Course
Driving Park: Motor Sports Land II
Driving Park: Test Course

Real Ciruits:
Circuit de la Sarthe I
Circuit de la Sarthe II
Fuji Speedway 2005 F
Fuji Speedway 2005 GT
Fuji Speedway 80's
Fuji Speedway 90's
Infineon Sports Car Course
Infineon Stock Car Course
Laguna Seca
Nurburgring Nordschleife
Suzuka
Suzuka East
Tsukuba
Twin Ring Motegi
Twin Ring Motegi East
Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway
Twin Ring Motegi West
 
*McLaren*
As said above, the locations and streets are all real, but the tracks aren't.

El Capitan is based on a park here in the US. I think all of the city courses are fake (the tracks), except for Cote D' Azur, aka in real life as the course for the Monaco Grand Prix.
El Capitan is in Yosemite National Park. El Capitan is that big mountain you see. and Yosemite is here in east California, about a 5 1/2 hour drive from were i live.
 
wildbillk
Oh and I'm sure someone posted this but I couldnt find it. What's the fake/real courses of GT4? I think I know them all but some I'm not sure. Especially some of the city races. I live in New York and I never seen race cars go through times square thats for sure. Very fast cabbies but the only points they are earning is on their license. (on a side note the scenery is very well done and pretty accurate. Always wanted to drive past the Plaza hotel at 150mph!).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71982

;)
 
Thanks for the info :)
Wow those google map overlays are awesome. I wonder how real the texture of the tracks are like the little bumps here and there. Some of the little bumps on the straight in Sarthe and the bumps of nurburgring and the texture of those angled hairpins etc. I have seen some racing clips on those tracks and the ultra stiff cars do seem to bump in some recognizable spots.
 
Oh I did have another question which was one of my driving reasons to look at all that info in the first place... lol

In general, how are racing restrictions implemented for the touring car/GT/LM races? I know a little about how they do restriction for stock car but that's different... that's stock. I see these companies make a new car and it blows the competition away for years until another dominant car arrives. I know Audi dominated with the Quattro cars and I remember a stink about people calling it "unfair".

The game is strange like that too in that you can go to the sunday races in a 1200hp car and race 100hp cars not that it would be any fun though. I find in the game that one some things like Rally, HP is not always an advantage. Taking the pikes peak car on a tight slippery course isn't necessarily going to help alot more then say a steady 300hp car.

I find it frustrating to not know what my competition is like. I hate going into a race thinking I will have a good competitive car and it's sorely underpowered or overpowered. I then have to reset so I dont get a loss for quiting? and come back with a better matched car.



oh and p.s. I can't believe a woman this hot is a top class F1 driver...
 
^ :lol: Yeah it's been discussed here before. Woman can drive you know, just to let all you guys know ^_^ But i know plenty of them that suck at driving :lol:
 
Back