GT Series track list is getting STALE

United States
United States
I have been a diehard GT fan since day 1. I actually bought a PS1 purely for GT. In terms of simcade, no one is even close. I had high hopes for GT7, but the track list has me a bit burned out.

How many times do we need to race the same "flagship" tracks? Project Cars 2 is a very flawed game, but it has the best track list of any console racing game ever made. It's not even close.

I am just a little bored with the idea of more races at Spa, Suzuka or Brands Hatch. The track list is in need of a major overhaul. I know that in order to add tracks they would have to remove some from previous titles, and I am all for it. In terms of North America alone, there are so many gems that have not been given the love they deserve on console:

Mid Ohio
VIR
Road Atlanta
Road America
Lime Rock
Barber Motorsports

That's not counting any tracks in Europe such as Oulton Park, Zolder, Snetterton and many many others.

I can't imagine them changing the formula, but the thought of racing at Spa, Suzuka and Laguna Seca has me a bit bored.

I have been a diehard GT fan since day 1. I actually bought a PS1 purely for GT. In terms of simcade, no one is even close. I had high hopes for GT7, but the track list has me a bit burned out.

How many times do we need to race the same "flagship" tracks? Project Cars 2 is a very flawed game, but it has the best track list of any console racing game ever made. It's not even close.

I am just a little bored with the idea of more races at Spa, Suzuka or Brands Hatch. The track list is in need of a major overhaul. I know that in order to add tracks they would have to remove some from previous titles, and I am all for it. In terms of North America alone, there are so many gems that have not been given the love they deserve on console:

Mid Ohio
VIR
Road Atlanta
Road America
Lime Rock
Barber Motorsports

That's not counting any tracks in Europe such as Oulton Park, Zolder, Snetterton and many many others.

I can't imagine them changing the formula, but the thought of racing at Spa, Suzuka and Laguna Seca has me a bit bored.
Well, Project Cars 2 also had a lot of its tracks not scanned, some were drone scanned and not laser scanned, while all real world tracks in GT since GT6 are laser scanned, so GT has chosen quality over quantity in that regard.

I would also say I'd love some more real life tracks like Hockenheim or Jerez to be in the game, but why would anyone complain about having Spa, Suzuka or Brands Hatch? Those are some of the most popular tracks in the world and are needed to have a strong base and to appeal to the most players.

Last edited:

Mid Ohio
VIR
Road Atlanta
Road America
Lime Rock
Barber Motorsports

Good thing you’re not a real racing driver. Those lot have to race the same tracks every year for their career. Maybe one or two new tracks once in a while.

I know that in order to add tracks they would have to remove some from previous titles
Humor Boomer GIF

Last edited:
Does GT7 have a single track that hasnt been in the series before?

I've said it before, the tracklist is super disappointing in how predictable it is.

Honestly the only thing that can save this tracklist is if PD pulls Isle of Man out of thin air as a last minute surprise.
In terms of North America alone, there are so many gems that have not been given the love they deserve on console:

Mid Ohio
VIR
Road Atlanta
Road America
Lime Rock
Barber Motorsports
To add to famous North American tracks that are long overdue,

Long Beach Street Course
Sebring
Watkins Glen

At minimum Road Atlanta, Road America, Indianapolis, Watkins Glen and Sebring should be added. Huge history at all those tracks

And lets not even get started with how PD cant seem to carry over all the core original tracks. Why did Grand Valley go missing? SSR5 and SSR11? Why is High Speed Ring just now coming back? I just dont get some of the decisions being made here.

Agreed 100%

Well I can't see them upgrading all of the old tracks plus adding 15-20 new ones for example
But that's not what you said, if a track isn't included in GT7 in the first place it isn't being removed for the sake of adding a new track. I think I get what you mean though (correct me if I'm wrong), that if they have the time to model 1 more track it's either a new one or remodelling an old one.

It's a simplitic way of looking at it, not all tracks are equal in time and effort to model and it also depends how much data was collected and work was done previousely on a tracks already, perhaps for older titles. But assuming a like for like comparison, then yes, the time and resources could be spent on one or the other.

Seems like you just want to see a bunch of American tracks in the game. Eh, they aren't that good overall. There will probably be a new track in GT7 every other month after launch. For now they are focusing on classic tracks from GT history to bring back old players after the detour that was GT Sport along with existing tracks from GT Sport that are obviously easier to move over than starting from scratch. My preference would be older European tracks designed before the era of chicanes and hairpins every 50 feet.

But that's not what you said, if a track isn't included in GT7 in the first place it isn't being removed for the sake of adding a new track. I think I get what you mean though (correct me if I'm wrong), that if they have the time to model 1 more track it's either a new one or remodelling an old one.

It's a simplitic way of looking at it, not all tracks are equal in time and effort to model and it also depends how much data was collected and work was done previousely on a tracks already, perhaps for older titles. But assuming a like for like comparison, then yes, the time and resources could be spent on one or the other.
Poorly worded by me. What I meant was if I wanted 5 more tracks in GT7, most likely some of the older classics would not be included. There is only so much time and $$$. I would love 50 real tracks, but it's not realistic. Some people wouldn't be willing to give up Spa and Suzuka for VIR and road America like I would do

I know that original GT only have fictional circuits and some of them they have become the favorites of many people.
But it's frustrating to see how several iconic circuits have been ignored:
Imola, Hockenheim, Donington, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Watkins Glen...

Also always surprised me not to have ever seen
Okayama and Sugo in Gran Turismo.

I don't have much hope of seeing new real circuits added to GT7.
Maybe one of the missing tracks from previous games:
Motegi (GT6)
Ascari (GT6)
Cote d'Azur (Monaco) (GT6)
Silverstone (GT6)
Indianapolis (GT6)
Valencia (GTPSP)
Sonoma (GTPSP / GT4)
Pikes Peak (GT2)

Last edited:
Well, Project Cars 2 also had a lot of its tracks not scanned, some were drone scanned and not laser scanned, while all real world tracks in GT since GT6 are laser scanned, so GT has chosen quality over quantity in that regard.
And yet here's the interesting things. Brands Hatch in any of the PC titles is far more accurate in terms of surface detail and camber than it's ever been in the GT series. It's a track I've driven in reality a good few times and corners that have surface and camber changes that in reality challenge a car and driver, are, to be blunt boring in GT. Sheene Curves being one of the best examples.

Just because you have laser-scanned data doesn't mean you use it well, as you are not forced to use the road mesh at the level it's actually scanned at, reduce the road mesh resolution and you're still using a laser scan, but it's not going to be accurate!

IoM TT circuit is 38 miles of roads narrower than the Nürburgring or comparable to the Goodwood hill climb, with no run off in most areas. Useful for time trials but clean racing would be virtually impossible around most of the track.
Ever since those IoM rumours started years ago I could never fathom why people wanted it in Gran Turismo. It's a bike TT course that as you say, is incredibly narrow for the most part. To waste a huge amount of development time, given all the intricate details required to be modelled in the villages it'd be a collosal waste of resources for a car racing game, would be insane. The alternative could be 3, maybe 4 proper car racing circuits. Maybe even more. Vs 1 track only useful for TT.

I know the rumours said that PD were seen there but I still believe it was quite simply someone mistaken, and it was the devs from the TT bike game.

And yet here's the interesting things. Brands Hatch in any of the PC titles is far more accurate in terms of surface detail and camber than it's ever been in the GT series. It's a track I've driven in reality a good few times and corners that have surface and camber changes that in reality challenge a car and driver, are, to be blunt boring in GT. Sheene Curves being one of the best examples.

Just because you have laser-scanned data doesn't mean you use it well, as you are not forced to use the road mesh at the level it's actually scanned at, reduce the road mesh resolution and you're still using a laser scan, but it's not going to be accurate!
That is more down to the physics in Gran Turismos than the quality or how well they use the scanned data, except by that you mean how good/detailed the general driving physics are.

Brands Hatch is also one of the laser scanned tracks in Project Cars.

Last edited:
That is more down to the physics in Gran Turismos than the quality or how well they use the scanned data, except by that you mean how good/detailed the general driving physics are.

Brands Hatch is also one of the laser scanned tracks in Project Cars.
I'm accounting for the physics within this, that for example can be felt as lacking in as you drive over the crest of Paddock Hill bend, it the likes of AC, PC, etc. as you cross the crest you can feel a tug in the FFB as the front tyres are not crossing the crest squarely. In GTS that is non-existent.

However GTS does have one track with a reasonable road mesh on it, the 'ring (which may be down to the fact that the Nürburgring stopped companies scanning it themselves and provide a scan themselves), which does show that they can do it, and where the issues with the physics/FFB lie, and with Sheene Curves in particular it's down far more to the road-mesh than the physics.

It would be nice to get some more tracks via DLC later on, at least.

That's confirmed to be happening along with DLC cars.

Kazunori Yamauchi: You're absolutely right in saying that GT7 will be something that will progress based on the progression of the PS5 platform. What we will obviously do is add more tracks and more cars as we go along as well. But in terms of the features, there are still some features that we've had in the past titles that still haven't made a comeback yet. That's something that we would like to do. And we also have other ideas on top of that, as well, but it's still too early to start talking about that yet.

Kazunori Yamauchi: You're absolutely right in saying that GT7 will be something that will progress based on the progression of the PS5 platform. What we will obviously do is add more tracks and more cars as we go along as well. But in terms of the features, there are still some features that we've had in the past titles that still haven't made a comeback yet. That's something that we would like to do. And we also have other ideas on top of that, as well, but it's still too early to start talking about that yet.

Give a man Sebring and he'll play for a week, give a man a track creator, and he'll play for a life time.

Isle of Mann would be a good cruising track for solo players. Which, would be the majority. Taking some of the slower classic cars around that, would be hours of enjoyment. Plenty of pauses for replay pics.

Seems like you just want to see a bunch of American tracks in the game. Eh, they aren't that good overall. There will probably be a new track in GT7 every other month after launch. For now they are focusing on classic tracks from GT history to bring back old players after the detour that was GT Sport along with existing tracks from GT Sport that are obviously easier to move over than starting from scratch. My preference would be older European tracks designed before the era of chicanes and hairpins every 50 feet.
I'd agree with this generally. There are two US circuits I would love to see in a GT Title:

Road America - I really love how large & expansive RA feels and that how each sector has it's own feel. It's a damn fine racing circuit IMO.
Road Atlanta - Has such a beautiful flow to it. The first sector, especially, is addictive - it reminds me of the first sector at the 'Ring actually.

The thing I like most about both of them is that they have a sense of space - you go from more open areas to more enclosed areas which makes it feel like you are in a place. (This is also what made the original GT circuits so special feeling, even if it was largely done due to hardware limitations at the time). Think about the back straight at Road America where you get compressed between trees on either side. If you compare that to Big Willow you just feel like you are in kind of a big void that somebody has draped a circuit on, which limits the sense of speed and immersion. Buttonwillow has the same issue, as does Thunderhill. VIR kind of does too. It's much easier to make a racing circuit on a big open field or old airstrip, but they all end up feeling like different variations of the same concept. The older the circuit (barring airstrip circuits) the more likely they feel like they are part of the environment that they belong to, which is why I think they are superior. Pacific Raceways south of Seattle looks like it could be a lot of fun in a short-track, Tsukuba or Touge kind of way. Wonder if anyone on this forum has ever driven it?

I actually really liked the track variety in NFS Shift 2, even if the driving was sub-par. Circuit Rouen-les-Essarts was a total blast in that game.

(I guess it was in pCARS too)

Last edited:
I’m one of those who prefers more tracks over more cars. Me and I imagine most people only drive a small percentage of all the cars for the most part. Sure I try the most awkward ones, but for my own enjoyment and online racing I only need FR, MR and RR cars for example. I always avoid FF and AWD cars whenever I can. But I’d love to have in GT as many tracks as PC2 had. I dream of the day I can race around Sonoma Raceway in a GT game. Or around Autordromo do Algarve.

If I had to choose between 1 can and 50 tracks or 50 cars and 1 track I wouldn’t even blink before giving an answer. Tracks add more longevity and replay ability to racing games than car rosters do imo. I mean some people drive for months with a single car in some racing leagues. That’s more like the real world too. As long as there’s variety, I’ll be happy.

Not seeing a single 100% new track to the series in GT7 is very concerning, especially given the fact GT7 is basically being held down by the PS4 already, so large grids, something pretty simple but which could add a lot of fun to any race on any track with any car, is off the table.

I’m one of those who prefers more tracks over more cars. Me and I imagine most people only drive a small percentage of all the cars for the most part. Sure I try the most awkward ones, but for my own enjoyment and online racing I only need FR, MR and RR cars for example. I always avoid FF and AWD cars whenever I can. But I’d love to have in GT as many tracks as PC2 had. I dream of the day I can race around Sonoma Raceway in a GT game. Or around Autordromo do Algarve.

If I had to choose between 1 can and 50 tracks or 50 cars and 1 track I wouldn’t even blink before giving an answer. Tracks add more longevity and replay ability to racing games than car rosters do imo. I mean some people drive for months with a single car in some racing leagues. That’s more like the real world too. As long as there’s variety, I’ll be happy.

Not seeing a single 100% new track to the series in GT7 is very concerning, especially given the fact GT7 is basically being held down by the PS4 already, so large grids, something pretty simple but which could add a lot of fun to any race on any track with any car, is off the table.

I'm with you on caring way more about track count than car count but AWD cars are the best! The classic GT1 era showdowns between Lancers and Skylines are legendary. (Not to mention the 3000GT and Impreza) Those 4 cars are what I think of when I think of Gran Turismo.

Back