GT Sport beta physics discussion - Read the First Post Before Replying

• Thread starter z06fun
  • 1,164 comments
If this is true it means they adjusted the longitudinal grip levels of the tires without adjusting the lateral grip much, if at all, a good sign that they are tweaking the physics. I recall some earlier discussion that braking distances were quite short in the initial phase of the beta. Problem is, they should be telling people in the beta what adjustments they are making instead of waiting for them to figure it out themselves.

IMO, this is a legacy of the reliance on ABS. But then Logitech never developed pedals that simulated brake pressure realistically which would have been conducive to finding the limit consistently when braking in a straight line either....they should have done it like Thrustmaster have done now, whilst making ABS a handicap which would have changed the whole culture....

I like that there's some power oversteer in the rwd cars. Even with only 280, 290hp. You can 'steer' the car with the rear end. The last turn on the new Dragon Trail Seaside track is a good place to see this. You don't have a big controlled slide, but you can let the steering be neutral and use the back end to rotate the car but it's not trying to spin on you.

I really enjoyed the handling of the cars I played around with. Using a controller and only raced in the GT3 spec cars and Brands.

The breaking distances took a bit of getting used too but the over steer was a joy to play around with and a lot of step outs seemed a lot easier to catch with a controller as the cars felt a lot more alive than in GT6.

I really enjoyed lapping in the SLS (which is what I spent most of my time with), it had the right feel and was a lot more forgiving than say PCars.

I really enjoyed the handling of the cars I played around with. Using a controller and only raced in the GT3 spec cars and Brands.

The breaking distances took a bit of getting used too but the over steer was a joy to play around with and a lot of step outs seemed a lot easier to catch with a controller as the cars felt a lot more alive than in GT6.

I really enjoyed lapping in the SLS (which is what I spent most of my time with), it had the right feel and was a lot more forgiving than say PCars.
That's so great to hear. I never liked the way Forza does it. I understand it and it's actually really fun to learn it. I didn't end up liking it, though I really wanted to because of how good it felt. It's subjective beyond saying it's simply about preference. It's physiological psychology as much as anything.

Anyone able to compare FM6 and GTS as of now? I've only played FM using a controller. That's why I'm curious. I have FM6 and lost interest. After using a steering wheel for so long, I don't much like to play games with cars using a controller, unless it's arcadey like NFS Underground.

My gaming dream is to play GTA using a steering wheel IF the physics were in the realm of GTA IV's physics. Those Bastards weakened them for GTA V! Not nearly as much fun driving in V as it was in IV. GTA IV is almost a decade old!!!

Edit - added word "psychology"

Last edited:
Really enjoying the feel of the game. I immediately noticed a lot of aids were on so turned them all off and was richly rewarded.

Also I hate the term simcade that flies around! An Arcade game is Outrun 2. A Simulator is Project Cars / Asseto Corsa / Gran Turismo / Forza Motorsport. The in-between was the delicious Project Gotham Racing!

That's so great to hear. I never liked the way Forza does it. I understand it and it's actually really fun to learn it. I didn't end up liking it, though I really wanted to because of how good it felt. It's subjective beyond saying it's simply about preference. It's physiological as much as anything.

Anyone able to compare FM6 and GTS as of now? I've only played FM using a controller. That's why I'm curious. I have FM6 and lost interest. After using a steering wheel for so long, I don't much like to play games with cars using a controller, unless it's arcadey like NFS Underground.

My gaming dream is to play GTA using a steering wheel IF the physics were in the realm of GTA IV's physics. Those Bastards weakened them for GTA V! Not nearly as much fun driving in V as it was in IV. GTA IV is almost a decade old!!!
I could, give me sometime though im out at the moment.

That's so great to hear. I never liked the way Forza does it. I understand it and it's actually really fun to learn it. I didn't end up liking it, though I really wanted to because of how good it felt. It's subjective beyond saying it's simply about preference. It's physiological as much as anything.

If you scroll back to the early pages of this thread there is comparison of Forza, and also AC. I have used both extensively with a wheel (G920 for forza, G29 & T300 for AC). Some of us really wanted GTS to be AC physics & FFB, combined with everything good that is GT. It didn't quite turn out that way but I think many feel the physics are definitely more accurate than GT6 :)

The physics thing that bugs me most in GTS is that 🤬 4 wheel "lift drift" thing that often happens if you lift in a corner. So many times I have gone off because I lifted. :indiff:

If you scroll back to the early pages of this thread there is comparison of Forza, and also AC. I have used both extensively with a wheel (G920 for forza, G29 & T300 for AC). Some of us really wanted GTS to be AC physics & FFB, combined with everything good that is GT. It didn't quite turn out that way but I think many feel the physics are definitely more accurate than GT6 :)

The physics thing that bugs me most in GTS is that 🤬 4 wheel "lift drift" thing that often happens if you lift in a corner. So many times I have gone off because I lifted. :indiff:
I hear you. I'm curious about comparing the feedback we get through controllers, not steering wheels nor the physics.

Either way, wouldn't lifting while the revs are in a high range usually cause your momentum to drift you away from the direction you intend to direct your car? Isn't that a more significant consequence to lift off oversteer?

Edit - autocorrect inserted "study" instead of "drift"

Last edited:
VBR
The physics seem like an arcade game to me, at least a simcade type feel. Nowhere near as sim as AC or P CARS. However, still finding the cars more-ish to drive, it's still fun.
Pretty much this.

Its a good evolution from GT6 and from the Copper Box, but its still not to the same level of PCars or AC.

My pre-orders going to stay in place based on what I played so far, even if its more likely to be used for video and picture capture than as a goto sim.

I compare GTS physics with AC (on PS4)

Keep in mind that I played AC a couple of hundred hours in 2017 and GTS only 3 hours. And GTS I only raced with three cars in default setup! Both in AC and GTS: All driving assists off, TC 0, ABS on

First time I started a hot lap in GTS was Brands Hatch with a VW Scirocco The track is very clean and also the known markers for braking etc are missing (maybe because it is an unfinished Beta?). After 5-10 minutes I really thought what is going on. I completely missed the 'feel of the wheel, car, track'. With AC you have much more the idea that you handle the car and it responds way better on steering, braking changes. Also FBB/T300 is very weak in the beginning.

Then I turned up the FBB, sensitivity, responsiveness. This already improved a lot. But still braking is like floating on ice. For now GTS is more Driveclub then AC or PCars (with regards to physics handling)

Next time trial was a Subaru WRX on that new Dragon Trail track. Very refreshing new track.
Hey it seems like the car is doing more what I want it to do in comparison with the VW Scirocco. Better connection between your input devices and how the car behaves on track. Can also be because I get used to the new GTS handling model or could it be that for example the Impreza by default has more realistic handling vs the Scirocco?

Overall AC seems to be a league on its own with regards to physics on console. That we already knew and is still the case. GTS feels like your floating/hoovering over a very wet track (only for now in this Beta?). I personally miss the realistic physics behavior of the cars on track.

But to end a little more positive for GTS : it is a graphical superb race game (not a sim...) and it has a huge potential. I already pre-ordered the CE edition and I have no reason to cancel that :D.

Again may be this is because of a beta with a complete other testing purpose then testing physics? Time will tell.

Also curious to other racers and their thoughts about AC vs GTS physics, car handling etc.

Last edited:
I just tried Assetto corsa & backward! I'm driving with a T150 & the first huge difference between them i think is the lack of tyre pressure changes of GT vs AC! It might seem simple but it's the joint point between the car & it's weight & the road! Therefore i get the feel that the car is attached to the road in GT

I'm also on the AC boat so what strikes me is
-the amount of information thats coming through the steering wheel in AC is not at all matched by GT.
-the deadzone (on PS4) in AC is real bad and is not there so much in GT which is great.
-Controlling and catching slides feels more predictable in GT whether that's a good thing or bad i leave in the open.
-Overall the drive in GT gives a more stable impression which tends to feel a bit sterile. Which is a good thing in how you can tackle corners but it lacks a bit in the suspension and tire feel and feedback. Especially under braking you don't feel the connection between tires, suspension and the road...

Last edited:
It feels unresponsive and numb. I simply don't like the way it drives. The cars woble unrealisticly in 3th person view. As stated elsewhere, feedback is missing a lot and it feels unfinished. The driving is even boring.

Damn, really hoped this beta could bring me back in but all I am left with is a big dissappointment.

It feels unresponsive and numb. I simply don't like the way it drives. The cars woble unrealisticly in 3th person view. As stated elsewhere, feedback is missing a lot and it feels unfinished. The driving is even boring.

Damn, really hoped this beta could bring me back in but all I am left with is a big dissappointment.

Yes I agree. Although sometimes you need a bit of time to get out of it what's in there and how exactly everything is communicated through the wheel. Now we need to put in some hours and get used to the damn thing and see if we start to like it better. Sometimes you don't feel things not because they are not there but because you are not used to it. I remember I needed a bit time with AC physics as well before I started liking it... And still that game has it flaws as well...

I don't see this wobble effect in 3rd person view. AC has some serious wobbling effect in that case, but nobody plays AC in 3rd person, I think.

GT Sport has this very typical GT-issue of having crazy turn-in grip with cars. When I watch the fastest guys especially, they are just chucking cars into corners and they just *immediately* go right where they are aimed. Having spent the last few years playing things like Assetto Corsa and iRacing and Project Cars, I'm having a really hard time coming back to this sort of mindset that I dont need to carefully manage weight distribution and how I come off the brakes while turning in. I'm trying to round off corners and enter smoothly to ensure my car is as stable as possible in order to have the best exit, but what I really need to be doing is just saying "F THAT" and slamming the car into the corner in what I would normally consider a very reckless fashion. But my brain just keeps stopping me from doing it.

I hear you. I'm curious about comparing the feedback we get through controllers, not steering wheels nor the physics.

Either way, wouldn't lifting while the revs are in a high range usually cause your momentum to drift you away from the direction you intend to direct your car? Isn't that a more significant consequence to lift off oversteer?

Edit - autocorrect inserted "study" instead of "drift"
What happens in real life with real physics is that any lifting will add weight to the front/remove weight from the rear. This means the front tires can then produce higher peak lateral forces (more grip) so you can turn better and tighten the line.

GT Sport has this very typical GT-issue of having crazy turn-in grip with cars. When I watch the fastest guys especially, they are just chucking cars into corners and they just *immediately* go right where they are aimed. Having spent the last few years playing things like Assetto Corsa and iRacing and Project Cars, I'm having a really hard time coming back to this sort of mindset that I dont need to carefully manage weight distribution and how I come off the brakes while turning in. I'm trying to round off corners and enter smoothly to ensure my car is as stable as possible in order to have the best exit, but what I really need to be doing is just saying "F THAT" and slamming the car into the corner in what I would normally consider a very reckless fashion. But my brain just keeps stopping me from doing it.
I'm finding lack of turn-in grip if anything, also you have to be quite careful with weight transfer and how you come off the brakes and apply throttle. Seems really accessible to play with a pad compared to likes of pCARS and Assetto Corsa so I think it might help getting more players interested in sim driving games or at least keeping their attention for longer.
Assetto Corsa is why I've got no speed in GTS. I can't bring myself to do those GT things anymore. Especially downshifting and leaving the engine bouncing off the limiter all the time. 👎
Driving them the same way should result in similar relative speed in both games, good driving technique is rewarded. Why the need to downshift and have engine bouncing off the limiter all the time, seems an odd thing to do?

Back