GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought of participating, but then road cars and Interlagos.

I’ll wait for the next one. Good luck! I’m not that good.

Regardless of whether or not you own the cars in game or participate in the trial, you can still cast a vote based on whatever criteria you want. Just because the track and the cars may not be what you feel up to driving doesn't mean you still can't participate in the voting.

McLaren MP4-12C '10
600 hp / 7,500 rpm
465 ft-lbs / 3,000 rpm
2,976 lbs

Ferrari 458 Italia '09
563 hp / 9,000 rpm
399 ft-lbs / 6,000 rpm
3,274 lbs

McLaren has a big advantage in power and weight, but the numbers don't translate well on the racetrack, as the Ferrari is only a hair slower.

Tested at Tsukuba on Sport Hard tires. ABS and Brake Balance on default setting, all other aids off.

McLaren - 1:01.910
Ferrari - 1:02.020

I prefer the gearing and high-revving nature of the Ferrari, but the light weight and power output of the McLaren. This is one seriously tough decision, but I'm going to have to go with McLaren. Wasn't it their first major road car since the F1? That counts for a lot...

Top Gear video comparison Part 1 and 2:

https://www.topgear.com/videos/jere...2c-vs-ferrari-458-part-12-series-17-episode-3

https://www.topgear.com/videos/jere...2c-vs-ferrari-458-part-22-series-17-episode-3

Last edited:
So this one was a pretty easy one for me to decide, and I'm sure Waflz will be overjoyed with the result.

So the last time we put these two together, the McLaren won out for me because of its power, with my complaining a bit about its understeer if anything.

This time around though...

c8d7e96cae7f875f3044f2237ea137d8.jpg

(Sorry, I've had Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on the brain for the past month or so.)

But seriously though, see for yourself.

Interlagos Time Trial:
MP4-12C - 1:45.206
458 Italia - 1:44.195

You can even see it in the video, the brakes practically struggled to get the McLaren slowed down properly in the corners. Because of this, I had to take a lot of unconventional lines through corners, going way off the racing line. These were problems that the Ferrari didn't have, and the lap time it turns in shows that as a result.

Sorry McLaren, you've changed. Ferrari wins this one.

(Oh, and sorry Waflz, I completely spaced on saving the best lap replay for the McLaren. My run is up there in the raw video.)

Here are my results!

Lap Times (9 Laps each)

Ferrari 458 Italia: 1:43.333 (Lap 9)
McLaren MP4-12C: 1:43.047 (Lap 7)

WINNER: McLaren MP4-12C

Cockpit Visibility
Umm... Let's just call it a tie, shall we?

Handling Characteristics
Ferrari 458 Italia: Exhibits oversteer a lot, and it's stock suspension settings made the car very wallowy through the corners.
McLaren MP4-12C: The car's stock suspension settings made it more planted than the 458, therefore resulting in a better on-track performance.

Stock Specs (Price/Class/Horsepower/Weight/HP/Ton)
Ferrari 458 Italia: Cr. 283.000/N600/563 HP/1485 kg/379 HP/Ton
McLaren MP4-12C: Cr. 225.000/N600/600 HP/1350 kg/444 HP/Ton

Overall Results
Ferrari 458 Italia: 2 points (tied with the McLaren in terms of cockpit visibility and class)
McLaren MP4-12C: 8 points (the rest of the points that the Ferrari doesn't get)

OVERALL WINNER (My vote goes to!): McLaren MP4-12C

We go Back to the Road Cars in the all powerful N-600 class.

I was happy to see @MrWaflz55 pick the N-600 class on SS tires and then these two cars for our next duel. On top of that it's at one of my favorite tracks in GTS. Anyone who knows me will tell you I like Road Cars over Race Cars in GTS. They are much harder to be fast and consistent with and require a great deal more awareness.

Ferrari 458
Now here is a car that's fun to drive and it's everything a Ferrari should be. My only complaints are.
A. The suspension is stiff & rough so it will unsettle the car over any bumps and quick elevation changes.
B. Develops bad understeer when pushed hard.
C. Brakes are very weak for a car this of this caliber.

Time 1:42.784
No assist but ABS default. Auto Trans. DS4

McLaren MP4-12C
Another fine machine from McLaren and it gives the Ferrari 458 all it can handle.
My only complaints are.
A. Despite it being lighter & faster it has trouble navigating the tighter portions of the course. Just a tad bit of throttle input kicks out the rear.
B. Again the brakes they are even worse than the Ferrari.

Time 1:42.474
No assist but ABS default. Auto Trans. DS4

This is a hard decision as both cars are so equally matched but have different strength on different parts of the track.
The Ferrari takes the McLaren in every part of the course but the strights then the McLaren's power & weight just eats up any ground the Ferrari make on it.

The McLaren is easier to drive fast and it's more consistent lap after lap. The Ferrari takes a lot of work to keep those fast times consistent. If I was going to be in a long race the McLaren would be my choice. In a shorter race on a smaller track the Ferrari would be the go to car. So in the end it's all about your preference because there is really no dominant car between the two.

My vote and not an easy on to make is the McLaren MP4-12C

Last edited:
TL;DR
My vote goes to McLaren

Lap Times
Ferrari: 1:42.310
McLaren: 1:41.331

In-depth Review
Reading the reviews I've seen so far here, I'm quite confounded why I seem to have a very different opinion on these two cars than the majority. But hey, maybe it's just the differences in driving style ;)

First off, the Ferrari. If I were to analogize her to a woman, she's a prim and proper lady, inside and out. Not only does she look charming, but her behavior's refined and proper as well. Running her around the track she's tight, obidient, and adept. A little bit too much so. Almost as if she sacrifices some speed to keep her prim and proper posture. Akin to a fine lady with a corset. And that doesn't really help her, because she's already down on power on the straights. Going into the final section of the track, I made a mistake and took one the rear wheels onto the grass. Normally, this would spell the end of a hotlap and restart all over again, but not on her. She's so easy to control, and within a split second I took control once more as if nothing happend, not unlike having discrete hiccup and continuing with whatever she's doing.

If the Ferrari's a prim and proper lady, then the McLaren's dangerous, yet alluring. She won't hesitate to kill you at the slightest misdemeanor you make. She's brash, lairy, and wild. Keeping her on the track is already hard enough on its own, let alone hotlapping. I kid you not, I spent 10 minutes learning how to attack the Senna S, because this damned mistress won't give me the same result with the same inputs. In the middle sector I slipped up in a similar fashion to the Ferrari... at least to the naked eye. In the same split seconds where the Ferrari slipped up akin to a discrete hiccup, the McLaren used this opportunity to try and kill me; to waste the hour I've already spent taming her to get to this section of the track. By luck or by chance, I was barely able to save the slip and continue with my hotlap. A good analogy to this slip up would be... she threw a knife at me and narrowly missed. But there's something alluring that McLaren, something about her brash personality that doesn't make sense in the supercar world where fast isn't only fast, but also consistent. She stands out from all the other supercars that try to give the driver as much control as they can over her (a trait that her little sister the 650S, for good or for worse, exhibits). No, she demands respect, and she will kill you if you don't. She's unique, and that's what I love about her.

Last week, we had two incredibly similar supercars from two rival F1 manufacturers go head to head at Interlagos. Interestingly, it was the closest duel we've had so far, with times commonly coming in the fractions of a second for difference. Most people seemed to prefer the general ease of driving the McLaren, but I prefer the more temperamental, but more rewarding drive of the Ferrari. If you nail the apexes and treat it proper, it was able to match the Nissan GT-R Nismo from last thread. The handling didn't change much either, with it still being prone to powerslides. I vote for the Ferrari 458 this week. It just looks so much better than the MP4, sounds better, and feels free when you're driving it unlike the McLaren's annoying traction control.

Let's see what you guys think:

I'm going to have to go with McLaren.

Sorry McLaren, you've changed. Ferrari wins this one.

OVERALL WINNER (My vote goes to!): McLaren MP4-12C

My vote and not an easy on to make is the McLaren MP4-12C

My vote goes to McLaren

McLaren: 4

Ferrari 2

Begrudgingly, I must put aside my preference of the 458. Despite it being my favourite car in the history of ever, I must crown the rightful king of this duel. The winner of last week was the...

6125464016521298964_0.jpg

...McLaren MP4-12C!

Not too shabby, the Ferrari put up a good fight, but the McLaren 12C finally comes home with its first win in Duel of the Week. It was previously beaten out by the TommyKaira ZZII and 458 Italia back in GT6, but it triumphed here in GT Sport. I wonder what other surprising results will await us if we revisit old duels from the PS3 era?​

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week 4 - Results from Interlagos

Interlagos_Autodromo_Jose_Carlos_Pace_Sao_Paulo_1024x1024.jpg

Let's see how the two cars faired around this famous Brazilian Formula One track. We already know from people's previous results that these two cars are surprisingly close in lap times, so let's see who mastered both.

usc20mlc011a0101.png

McLaren MP4-12C:

@Alpha Cipher - 1:41.331

@Rinsky -1:42.474
@RZQSPEED - 1:43.047
@ThrasherDBS - 1:45.206​

usc00frc151a0101.png

Ferrari 458 Italia:

@Alpha Cipher - 1:42.310
@Rinsky - 1:42.784
@RZQSPEED - 1:43.333
@ThrasherDBS - 1:44.195

Congratulations again to @Alpha Cipher for winning both of last week's time trials. Come to think of it, both rankings were exactly the same, huh. Maybe these cars aren't too different after all. Let's get on to next weeks' duel then.​

GT Sport Duel of the Week 5 - Corvette vs Porsche

Here's a classic duel you might not have heard of, but in the world of the GT racing circuit. There's a fierce rivalry between Corvette and Porsche.
(See video attached below as a commonly cited example)

It seems as though wherever Corvette Racing and Jake seem to go, a Porsche team isn't far behind. This is true for nearly every class of racing the Corvette has entered within the past two decades beginning with the C5.R. Now into the 991 RSR and C7.R, the rivalry continues to this day. The rivalry is even present on the streets too, with both companies offering road-going versions of their race cars in the forms of the GT3 RS and ZO6. Let's see this battle unfold in GT Sport this week.

Please welcome the...

4612253450732831252_0.jpg

...Corvette Gr.3 Road Car!

vs the

5846320008219590668_0.jpg

...Porsche 911 GT3 RS

This should be a war of the streets on an epic scale. Both of these cars are true track weapons, and the Porsche seems to be able to devour anything it faces in the N class. Let's see if the converted Corvette is able to stick it to the big guy this week. Now, onto our time trial!​

GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #5 - Corvette vs Porsche at Croatia.

Dragon_Trail_-_Gardens.jpg

In GT Sport, Croatia hosts a fictional track known as Dragon Trail. As you all know, the newest layout added to the games was Dragon Trail Gardens. It's quite good, so let's see how things go in this technical triumph of a track. Watch out, don't clip the curb at the chicane too hard or you might end up tilted up in the air with two wheels off the track!
Duel Parameters:
Tags:
gtsduel, dotw005
Tire Compound: Sports Soft
Tuning: Prohibited
Due Date: May 8th, 2018
While the original tracks are amazing in this game, let's hope we don't run out TOO soon with the reverse variations, I'm sure a time trial on Northern Isle wouldn't be in everyone's to-do list per se. At least we're driving good tracks for now. I'll see you at the end of the week with the results!​

Mind if I join? I see Porsche GT3 RS. Hehe.

F287BDA6-FF83-448F-AA24-5E0E3B26BA6C.jpeg

You may say I have a bias for Porsche (ahem... profile pic), but believe me I have done the time trial following the conditions set for the duel.

This was done on the Forward direction of the track, not reverse.

Allow me to give my thoughts on each car.

First, the Corvette:

- No doubt it’s the more fun car to throw around. It can be a Dorifto machine or a track day hero. It can do both.

- Now let’s start with one of the car’s unique features: The fixed aero. The fixed aero generated by the car’s wide body kit allows it to tackle on high speed turns with ease. However, it also acts as a double edged sword as it is a detriment on the straights. For a fixed aero value of 100/200, it should still generate a decent top speed.

- While the car is showing itself to be an effective track day tool, do take note that it’s an FR. Accelerate too early out of the turn, and that V8 engine will punish the tail so get ready for opposite lock action.

Now, how about the Porsche?

- Oh boy... where should I start? Back in the PS2/3 era of GT, I used to ignore RUF because they’re lairy and at the same time are way too different from a Porsche, so I wasn’t getting that genuine Porsche feel at the time. Now that the chains binding Porsche have been broken, it was a euphoria in the gaming world.

- Now let’s get down to business. The GT3 RS. Porsche’s beloved track day hero with a screaming 4 liter naturally aspirated flat six. Porsche’s expertise (and stubborness) with the RR layout since the dawn of time made sure the 991 chassis be the best handling one to date.

- So how’s the handling? Does it still send you to the bushes because it wants you to pick cherries instead? Absolutely not. Though do remember the old school Porsche 911 cornering motto “Slow in, Fast out” which still applies to this car. Make sure you are in control on the throttle on mid turn. The steering is absolutely lovely, but be careful not to overcook it when you sense some understeer, because it will troll you with oversteer. Porsche never meant to make the RS an easy car to drive. Precise, yes, but it demands respect from the driver. However, the car’s rear wheel steering will be your best friend in both low and high speed corners.

- Speed wise, and the benefit of RR layout would still surface. The heavy engine at the back make sure the rear wheels get the most traction, which aids in corner exit and straight line speed. It accelerates in the same league as N600 cars and that PDK gearbox contributes to precision up and down shifts, which definitely gives it an edge over the Corvette.

Tuning level? Both cars are excellent when modified, but the Porsche excels with having 2 more levels.

Colors? The RS has a rather boring palette choices... PD, Y U NO ADD PTS COLORS?! That’s the charm of having a Porsche! :lol:
The Corvette does come with more vivid color choices (seeing the AI and how the Mileage Exchange changes the default color of the car when it puts it up on sale once again).

My verdict:

- My heart goes to Porsche. Why? Porsche has always been adamant that the RR layout can be a very competitive one in motorsports, and they have proven it time after time. The Corvette has always been my favorite American car, but the 911 is my all-time beloved machine.

Last edited:
Should probably mention to anyone competing in the time trial. The layout this week is regular, not reverse. It it’s ever reverse I’ll specify in the title using the “II” designation.

It's amazing that we don't have to settle for a duel between a genuine Corvette and then a "not-Porsche". I remember the Porsche 911 and the Corvette being memorable international rivals. A track Porsche versus a track Corvette on this one. Let's see how this works.

Dragon Trail Gardens Trial:
Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car - 1:47.169
911 - 1:48.384

Dear god, the 911 tried to kills me a few times! It was kinda tough trying to keep it on the road. Jesus, it made the Corvette faster by default.

Corvette was faster for me, so it wins.

Here are my results for this week!

Lap Times (8 Laps each)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS: 1:42.910 (Lap 8)
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car: 1:45.660 (Lap 7)

WINNER: Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Handling Characteristics
Porsche 911 GT3 RS: The RR drivetrain can bite the driver with oversteer, but with the engine placed behind the rear axle allows for lighter cornering. I should also mention that this car has incredible straight line speed even in N400, which combined with the stickiest tires (RSS) and some good tuning makes this my choice for the 15 lap Blue Moon Bay Speedway Credits/XP farm
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car: Fixed aero with downforce levels of 100/200 (F/R) allows for more stability through the corners at a cost of straight line speed, allowing more consistent times. Watch out for the oversteer due to torque and understeer because of it's engine placement (Front-engined VS Rear-engined for the 911) plus the size of the V8 (6162 cc VS the 911's 4000 cc Flat-6) and the car's weight

Stock Specs (Class/Horsepower/Weight/HP/Ton)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS: N500/491 HP/1420 kg/346 HP/Ton
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car: N500/493 HP/1480 kg/333 HP/Ton

Overall Results
Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car: 2 points (Same class but slightly more power than the 911)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS: 5 points (Same class but is faster around DTG, better for BMB money grind and the lighter handling in general, plus it's lighter in terms of weight, giving it a higher HP/Ton of 346 VS the C7's 333)

OVERALL WINNER (My vote goes to!): Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Last edited:
Update: I managed to improve the lap times of both cars under the same conditions. You can see it in my post above. :)

My results:
Best time - Porsche - 1:45.772
Best Overall - Porsche (I own a Corvette IRL, so I really wanted the Corvette to win, but the results tell the story)

No tunes of any kind - tires changes only. DS4 controller

The Corvette had tons of oversteer, I had to set TC to 2 to get the 1:47.503 time. The Porsche had oversteer as well, but I was better able to manage it (TC=1) and drift thru a corner if I needed to. With TC=2 , the Porsche (1:47.555) was bogged down and not able to match the better lap time.

The Corvette braked better, and just for comparison, I got the '14 Corvette Stingray out on the track. With TC=1, the times are fairly close to the road car.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180506123019.jpg

Last edited:
My findings are not any different the Corvette Gr.3 Road Car is no match for the Porsche 911 RS but in real life that would probably be a different story.

Why PD insists on making every car from the US so lose in the rear is beyond me. It's so over exaggerated it's pathetic.
I've owned a few Vettes in my life and I can promise you they don't drive or handle this bad. But in this game PD chooses not to make them competitive.

Times
Corvette Gr.3 Road Car. 1:45.250
Porsche 911 RS. 1:42.174

Vote is for the Porsche 911 RS
It crushed the Vettes time on the very first lap.

Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
491 hp
340 ft-lbs
3,131 lbs

Chevrolet Corvette Gr.3 Road Car
493 hp
488 ft-lbs
3,263 lbs

The 911 gives up 2 horsepowers and 148 ft-lbs of torque in exchange for a 132 lb lighter chassis.

At Tsukuba on Sport Hard tires:

1:01.410 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
1:02.836 - Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car

At Suzuka East on Sport Hard tires:

0:54.975 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
0:56.235 - Chevrolet Corvette C7 Gr.3 Road Car

The Corvette was over 1 second slower on both tracks. I vote for 911. It's a beast.

Last edited:
Not to steal this thread - I didn't see a challenge either. So I made up my own.

Old vs New
Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71
Ford Focus ST '15

- No tuning of any kind
- Sport Hard tires
- Streets of Willow

Any track with a long straight would max out the Mustang's stock tranny, Streets kept it within range

My results after 10 laps each:
Mustang - 1:31.469
Focus - 1:30.594

Even though I had a slightly better lap time with the Focus, the Mustang was more fun to drive. Like most FF vehicles, the Focus had understeer, and the FR Mustang had oversteer. I prefer Over vs Under, and the sound of the Mustang was more to my liking. Also, since I drove the Mustang first, I had more experience on the track when I got to the Focus, learning how to take those curves at the end of the back stretch can be tricky.

Anyway - if anyone wants to try it, I would be curious on your results.

Cheers.

Waited a few days for the thread to reset to the Monday time schedule, so now we're ready for week 6, but for now a recap of week 5. We had two track-tuned versions of popular road cars from Porsche and Chevrolet go head-to-head in a duel of GT3 for the road. Personally, I preferred the Corvette. This is seriously one of the best-looking versions of the C7 to date. The widebody on the car and the front intake both look incredibly aggressive. I would say the handling is a bit tricky but nothing a good tune can't fix. I've never really been a big fan of Porsche models either, they are good at what they do, but they don't really excite me in any way so I'm pretty indifferent towards them. My favourite Porsche vehicle is the 997 GT3 RSR, that thing looks amazing. The handling of the road GT3 is pretty good, but I prefer an FR to and RR any day. The Corvette C7 Gr.3 road car gets my vote.

Let's see what you guys had to say:

My verdict:

- My heart goes to Porsche

Corvette was faster for me, so it wins.

OVERALL WINNER (My vote goes to!): Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Overall winner (begrudgingly) Porsche 911 GT3

The Corvette was over 1 second slower on both tracks. I vote for 911. It's a beast.

Begrudgingly I have to give this one to the GT3.

Corvette - 2
Porsche GT3 RS - 5

The winner of our 5th Duel of the Week is the...

4908955548542566928_0.jpg

Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS!

I may not be a huge fan of Porsche, but boy does it feel good to finally say that in a Gran Turismo duel of the week.​

Time Trial at Croatia - Results of the Duel!

Dragon_Trail_-_Gardens.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this masterpiece of a new track. The Gardens layout quickly became one of my favourite courses in the game. I hope you enjoyed it as well! Let's see how we did in the time trial starting with the Porsche

image_orange.png
Porsche 911 GT3 RS

@Rinsky - 1:42.174
@RZQSPEED - 1:42.910
@ThrasherDBS - 1:48.384

Rinsky takes the W on our first trial. The 911 is also apparently faster from just the hotlaps.

thJR3JQ4SD.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette (C7) Gr.3 Road Car

@Rinsky - 1:45.250
@RZQSPEED - 1:45.660
@ThrasherDBS - 1:47.169

Despite stiff competition from RZQSPEED, he took the L against Rinsky. A close duel this week from our top two competitors in both brackets.​

GT Sport Duel of the Week #6 - Group Foursome!

This week we're diving into a virgin racing class for this thread. We haven't yet stopped by the GT4 equivalent of GT Sport, the Gr.4 category. This one's a strange place, full of hatchbacks, hypercars, sedans, muscle cars and more! Let's see what's up for today!

We have a sedan against a hypercar. Not in the way you think though, it's a heavily regulated sedan against a heavily regulated hypercar. There, sounds better! The only similarity besides having headlights is the fact that they're both 4WD, making them very controllable without traction control. Without further ado...

5773614806243247132_0.jpg

...The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Gr.4!

against the...

5846324400359506436_0.jpg

...Mazda Atenza Gr.4!

Four wheels that drive. three syllables (Bu-Ga-Tti) (A-Ten-Za), two incredibly different cars, one really stupid class. Let's see how this goes.

I have a feeling I'm going to love Gr.4 with all the wacky combinations I can come up with...​

Back