GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
THE HILLS ARE ALIIIVEEE... WITH THE SOUND OF VRRRRRRRRRMMVERRRRRRRRMMMMM!!!

Feels like it's been a little while, but we've been able to test out the Red Bull Ring with what used to be the most expensive car in the game. Both cars felt kinda interesting, shall we say, but let's just see where they stacked up.

S2000 GT1 Turbo - 1:39.502
Vulcan - 1:38.495

Goodness me, nearly a whole second off. Sad thing is, both of these cars are noticeably flawed. The S2000 feels a lot more like a drift missile, and while the Vulcan is significantly more planted, good luck trying to get it to stop. If you drive with braking prompts on, you need to be hard on the brakes just as the indicator pops up otherwise it's into the gravel for you.

But because the Vulcan was just over a second faster, it takes the cake/vote.

This week's results are as follows

LAP TIMES (11 Laps)

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo: 1:35.898
Aston Martin Vulcan: 1:35.645

DRIVER'S COMMENTS
After skipping DotW 014, I'm back here testing this week's Time Attack/Trackday cars.

The Amuse is up first, and I immediately noticed how twitchy it is! In order to get the laps you desire, you definetly need to have some kind of control with the car, unless you happen to have a setup that uses Racing Tyres and some suspension and downforce tweaks. Even freaking @Alpha Cipher can only get 1:38s in this thing, while I was running away with a 1:35 ;). Overall, its package seems more to be a drift car than an actual track weapon...

On the other hand though, the Vulcan is a bit more predictable when it comes to stability, but because of all 820 HP were sent to the rear wheels, it is still a tricky car to drive, and don't get started on its notorious brakes, which are more like "404 Brakes Not Found". Stick some Racing Tyres and suspension tweaks however, and it should be more manageable, though be warned, the downforce is not adjustable as of 1.26 unlike the Amuse S2000. Cipher did a 1:34 lap with this.

VERDICT
The S2000 couldn't justify a vote from me due to how twitchy it is in its stock form...

The Vulcan, however, is at least more stable than the S2000, but its race spec carbon ceramic brakes are pretty much as functional as a set of 60's American Muscle drums.

Despite both having their own big disadvantages, RZQ votes for:
Aston Martin Vulcan '16

Meanwhile at Suzuka, there was a Gr.3 event where Houki Shinonono in an R34 GT500 went nose-to-tail against @mclarenLB in a Corvette C7.R for 15 laps, until the brakes of @hellZfirE's Citroën caught on fire and spoiling the battle on Lap 16 into T1, where he plowed into the R34 as the former's brakes ended up having nonexistent stopping power. Meanwhile, Lewis Bentley survived said incident, but now he has Akagi_1942mi in a Beetle, Kawakana222 in an RC F, @Tidgney with his RCZ, and for some odd reason mfrayyan in an A80 Supra GT500 on his tail!

Very busy weekend, lots of work. Expect a duel sometime tomorrow.

I remember back to the days of GT6 when there would be a new duel almost every week consitantly. Truth is, I don’t have nearly the same amount of opportunities to play as I used to so I don’t update this thread as much anymore.

On the other hand, maybe it’s good we aren’t blowing the whole load too quickly because this game has a comparatively tiny car count.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but do you guys mind waiting two more days? I require cars from Wednesday's update for the idea I have.

Starts with a P, ends with an Orsche. I wonder which car it'll be?

GT Sport Duel of the Week #16: Porsche GT3 Double-Take

This week features two Porsche road-racing machines. They're a generation apart but are both identical in terms of philosophy. Plus, one is underrated as all heck. I wonder if this week is going to be a "blink and you'll miss it" as far as differences between the cars go? Only one way to find out...

Introducing the...

79C39AC6-0605-447D-942C-4B29D696042A.jpeg

Porsche 911 GT3 (997)

versus the very similar...​

27D7BCD0-0072-4DED-BD65-EA0758A700C1.jpeg

Porsche 911 GT3 (996)

Now, onto the time trial.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A0303EAF-F2A0-4EA2-AA30-26A799FF17ED.jpeg

The circuit this week is going to be Brands Hatch - Grand Prix. This should be an ideal location for testing the car's handling capabilities. Have a fun time and I'll see you again at the end of the week.​

Last edited:
You know, this past update marks the first time that we've seen the 2001 Porsche 911 GT3 in Gran Turismo as an official car! I was particularly giddy that we get to drive it now. The '08 model kinda made me go "eh" but whatever, let's unleash these Porsches and see what they can do!

Brands Hatch Trial:
911 (996) - 1:40.142
911 (997) - 1:37.770

Welp, pretty clear who wins that one. I guess it would make sense for the newer model to be faster, wouldn't it? The behavior of both was actually pretty good though.

The 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 (997) gets my vote, but the 996 model is definitely easier on the eyes.

I am a simple man, and whenever I see Porsche, I join.

FF7A1721-5900-4986-ABF3-6E0759C6151D.jpeg

(Threw in the 991 GT3 RS for kicks)

So how do these Mezger-powered beauties stack up one another?

D4CA93C5-8B14-4E7A-9DCB-50F5F3F90F4A.jpeg

First up, the 996:

The 996 is basically the renaissance of the 911 and represented the complete change for Porsche. Even then, it still carries on some of its air-cooled predecessors’ traits such as the Pendulum Effect. You can still feel it, but easily manageable. However, increase its power levels and it will transform into a Widow Maker. Be careful.

How about the 997?

The 997 is the complete opposite of the 996 in terms of handling. The notorious turn-in understeer is real. You can still make it misbehave if you work hard on it. If you apply the Slow-In, Fast-Out method, then this car will do the rest for you.

The verdict?

I’d pick the 997, naturally. Very useful even when tuned to N500 if you want to get juicy bonuses in Premium Sports Lounge events. But the 996 still offers the fun factor and shouldn’t be overshadowed.

On a side note, if you managed the handling of both cars, then the 991 GT3 RS will be a breeze for you to drive. :cool:

And thank goodness PD brought in more Porsche colors. :bowdown:

Suzuka East:

0:54.452 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
0:56.042 - Porsche 911 GT3 (997)
0:56.947 - Porsche 911 GT3 (996)

Tsukuba:

0:59.847 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
1:01.989 - Porsche 911 GT3 (997)
1:03.257 - Porsche 911 GT3 (996)

Porsche 911 GT3 (997)
3,797 cc
428 hp / 7500 rpm
317.5 ft-lbs / 6000 rpm
3,075 lbs (1,395 kg)

Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
3,600 cc
354 hp / 7000 rpm
273.4 ft-lbs / 5000 rpm
2,976 lbs (1,350 kg)

997 gains 74 hp and 44.1 ft-lbs of torque over the 996, thanks to its 197 cc larger engine. That engine isn't the only thing that increased in size, as the 997 had become fatter by 99 lbs (45 kg) exactly.

997 beats 996 by almost a whole second at Suzuka East, and that gap widens to almost 1.3 seconds at Tsukuba. It's hard to pick a winner here, but I think the 996 has the perfect amount of power for its weight, and I think it looks better, so it gets my vote.

We didn't get that many votes for last week, so I think we can do better than that this time around. First though, we need to finish last week. Let's see what you guys had to say about our two Porsche rivals:

The 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 (997) gets my vote, but the 996 model is definitely easier on the eyes.

I’d pick the 997, naturally. Very useful even when tuned to N500 if you want to get juicy bonuses in Premium Sports Lounge events. But the 996 still offers the fun factor and shouldn’t be overshadowed.

997 beats 996 by almost a whole second at Suzuka East, and that gap widens to almost 1.3 seconds at Tsukuba. It's hard to pick a winner here, but I think the 996 has the perfect amount of power for its weight, and I think it looks better, so it gets my vote.

As for me, the 996 is what I'd consider the ideal Porsche. It was from a simpler time when the GT3 was more restrained. That doesn't mean the GT3 from the 996 generation is any slouch by any means. The handling is sublime on the 996, leaning more towards oversteer. It feels better than the 997's tendency towards understeer in my opinion. It has just the right amount of power for it's size and weight too. It delivers a truly satisfying experience without needing the flash of the newer models.

As for the 997, I think it's most of what I said about the 996 repeated, just to a lesser extent. Therefore...

996: 2
997: 2

It's a tie. Let's take a look at the time trial to determine the victor:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porsche GT3 Time Trial: Brands Hatch GP

@ThrasherDBS
911 (996) - 1:40.142
911 (997) - 1:37.770

@RCKakashi14
911 (996) - 1:38.761
911 (997) - 1:36.534

I decided to switch up the format for deciding draws. I'll go into the time trial results from that particular week, and whichever car is faster on average will be determined as the victor. It just seems right including everyone's times in the week's decision rather than me just doing it alone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, the winner of last week *cough* is the...

7421959689401828372_0.jpg

...Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '08

Now stick around for the next duel, coming at you in a couple minutes!

GT Sport Duel of the Week #17: Japanese Sports Revival

It's been a while since we've had fresh duels around here, so I decided it's time to change that. I'm trying to be more consistent in my posting and commitments, not just on GTPlanet.

Anyways, this duel features two revivals of some classic Japanese legends. These two cars pushed the boundaries of sportiness for a relatively low price in their earlier incarnations. But nowadays, they're back and no longer bound by the "gentleman's agreement" of 276HP. Not only that, it's the racing version of these two icons to boot. They've met in other forms of motorsport, but they'll meet in GT3-spec for the first time here in Gran Turismo Sport. Please welcome the...

8296224265078833156_0.jpg

...Toyota Supra GR Racing Concept (Gr.3)

facing off against it's rival, the...

8152109068349113356_0.jpg

...Honda NSX (Gr.3)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Trial 17: Japanese Sports Revival at Fuji Speedway - F

Fuji_Speedway_2005.jpg

Fuji Speedway F is the venue for this week's time trial. It features an extra chicane so there is a slightly more technical aspect to this one compared to the GT layout.

Tire Compound: Racing Hard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all from me for now. I think we have an exciting duel lined up this week. Of course, I'll see you all next Monday for another duel.

Weren't the 90s kinda cool in terms of sports cars and such? It produced my favorite group of Ferraris, my favorite Lamborghini, and a bunch of awesome Japanese sports cars that made the world take Japan seriously on the sports car market. The Toyota Supra and the Honda (well, Acura for North America) NSX were prominent competitors in this era. Smooth, curvy, and elegantly styled. Much like the retro-styling craze that started in the 2000s for American sports cars, we're seeing a nameplate revival for a lot of 90s Japanese sports cars this decade, what with the NSX and the Supra coming back. While Mazda's next "RX" car is showing no signs of even having so much as a concept on the horizon, at least the freshly revived Supra can pit itself against the less-recently revived NSX. And hey, why not have the Gr. 3 versions go against each other on Fuji Speedway, seeing as how that's the most recent new track?

Fuji Speedway F Trial:
Supra Gr. 3 - 1:41.727
NSX Gr. 3 - 1:42.072

While the NSX felt silky smooth, maybe a little rowdy in the corners thanks to the mid-engine layout, the Supra definitely displayed that characteristic Supra handling with a little bit of oversteer, but overall particularly planted. The NSX felt faster, but the Supra definitely ran better times.

You can't go wrong with either, but the resurrected Supra gets my vote.

Weren't the 90s kinda cool in terms of sports cars and such? It produced my favorite group of Ferraris, my favorite Lamborghini, and a bunch of awesome Japanese sports cars that made the world take Japan seriously on the sports car market. The Toyota Supra and the Honda (well, Acura for North America) NSX were prominent competitors in this era. Smooth, curvy, and elegantly styled. Much like the retro-styling craze that started in the 2000s for American sports cars, we're seeing a nameplate revival for a lot of 90s Japanese sports cars this decade, what with the NSX and the Supra coming back. While Mazda's next "RX" car is showing no signs of even having so much as a concept on the horizon, at least the freshly revived Supra can pit itself against the less-recently revived NSX. And hey, why not have the Gr. 3 versions go against each other on Fuji Speedway, seeing as how that's the most recent new track?

Fuji Speedway F Trial:
Supra Gr. 3 - 1:41.727
NSX Gr. 3 - 1:42.072

While the NSX felt silky smooth, maybe a little rowdy in the corners thanks to the mid-engine layout, the Supra definitely displayed that characteristic Supra handling with a little bit of oversteer, but overall particularly planted. The NSX felt faster, but the Supra definitely ran better times.

Mustang logo on a supra and nsx. Seems fine.

This duel's results are as follows.

Lap Times (13 Laps)

Toyota GR Supra RC: 1:39.294
Honda NSX Gr.3: 1:39.253

Driver's Comments
This week's duel is between two legendary RWD Japanese nameplates' modern racing versions, or more specifically the Gran Turismo Association Gr.3 class (otherwise known as GTA-Gr.3) cars, which are built similar to the FIA GT3 specs, with non-prototype FIA GT1-, FIA GT2-/E- and 2010s JAF GT300-spec machines also trickled in to this Grand Touring category. This week, we are focusing on the GR Supra RC and the NSX Gr.3.

The GR Supra is up first and the car is pretty stable for the most part, though due to the torque of its turbocharged BMW inline 6, I found it to be a little bit sketchy when trying to put the power down early once exiting out of a low speed corner (e.g. the final turn of Fuji Speedway). It does, however, have the straight line grunt (170 MPH at the end of the main straight VS the 167 MPH of the NSX), though it is nullified when BoP is in effect. This car, in its BoPed form is good for intermediate level racers.

The NSX is an advanced level machine in both stock and BoP forms due to its twitchy tendencies under braking. Its strengths include great traction from standing starts, good traction exiting out of corners, and it's obviously more pointy when it comes to cornering thanks to its MR layout VS the FR of the GR Supra. If you want to beat Beetles and RSRs from standstill, this is the car to go.

Verdict
For starters, I highly recommend the GR Supra as your first step into Gr.3 racing for consistency that you can get, but be warned of its torque exiting from low speed corners.

Once you've learned the basics of an MR Gr.3 car using an RSR, step in to the NSX and experience its lighter front end and the ease of weight transfer of an MR car compared to an FR car, and be on lookout for this car if there is one in a standing start Gr.3 race.

RZQ has voted for:
Honda NSX Gr.3

Psst. I hid a surprise for @darth_tails once he watches my NSX lap.

Duel of the Week 17 - Repsol NSX GT3 vs. GTPlanet Supra GT3 !!!

HBhkXGx.jpg

Hey hey people! It's been awhile... well for me anyways! Not since GT6 have I done a DOTW, but this one was screaming my name. I've been running GT3's all week at Suzuka, so this duel was right up my alley. Having tested quite a few cars, I figured "why not". I'm pitting cars against cars, so just continue here as well. ;)

Since my preference is FR cars, I started off with the GR Supra Racing Concept. Throttle Control... you will need it as she is pretty torquey. I found her pretty smooth to handle through the esses at Suzuka and the technical portions at Fuji as well. In my hands, I managed a 1:40.315 at Fuji.

As for the NSX... again, she can be a handful. But not the worst of the MR drivetrain Gr3 race cars... not even close. Compared to the RS01 (for example), she is a dream to drive. More than just capable of carving up tracks, I managed to record a 1:41.086 at Fuji.

Even with the times being fairly close to each other, what surprised me was how similar the sector results were... check these out!

YdDiPyy.jpg

Lrs3aA7.jpg

Anywho... My vote goes to the Supra. My preference for the FR drivetrain is the main factor here, but the livery also helps. :gtpflag:

Cheers

Last edited:
Alright, last week we had two Japanese race cars facing off at Fuji Speedway. It was an interesting duel with two cars that have been around since the 90s but have recently received more modern forms. Personally between the two I'd have to vote for the Supra. It's much more useful in Sport Mode to me with BoP on. It's a little faster with BoP off, it handles more predictably than the NSX in my hands and it looks more interesting. The Supra retains the visual cues from the gorgeous FT-1 concept, and it makes me excited to see what's in store for later this year. My vote goes to the Supra.

Enough about me though, let's see what you guys had to say:

RZQ has voted for:
Honda NSX Gr.3

Anywho... My vote goes to the Supra. My preference for the FR drivetrain is the main factor here, but the livery also helps.

The score is...
Supra: 3
NSX: 1

Therefore, the winner of week 17 is the...

4612328208515204096_0.jpg

...Toyota Gazoo Racing Supra Concept!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Trial Results: Fuji Speedway - F

*Changing up the format of the time trials a little in an effort to make it a little less bulky*

GR Supra Racing Concept:

@RZQSPEED - 1:39.294
@Baron Blitz Red - 1:40.315
@ThrasherDBS - 1:41.727

Honda NSX Gr.3:

@RZQSPEED - 1:39.253
@Baron Blitz Red - 1:41.086
@ThrasherDBS - 1:42.072

Our tame racing driver RZQSPEED handily sets some pretty fast laps in both of our competitors in this time trial.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that concludes week 17, I'll see you in a moment for the next incoming duel. I have to say the NSX puts up a pretty good fight, but it seems outclassed by the Supra in their racing iterations. Perhaps some old JGTC cars will come some day to continue on the rivalry.

GT Sport Duel of the Week #18: The Patriots

Continuing the theme of nameplate rivalries. This one is sure to get some blood boiling. We've seen a duel that's been going on since the 90's, now witness one that's been around for much longer than that. Today we're going to introduce some hot-blooded American action to our thread. Both cars date back to the 1960s, but the Mustang is the only one to remain in constant production throughout the span of it's life. The Chevrolet Camaro took a little break, but it reinvented itself in 2009 and is now back with it's second modern generation. Both have proven capable at the drag strip and track in recent years, with the 1LE and GT350R variants. This week features some less extreme versions of both these cars.

Please welcome the...

7422024544903267844_0.jpg

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback

against it's natural rival, the...

7062233562742816772_0.jpg

2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Trial of the Week - Streets of Willow Springs - Forwards

streetsowillow_map.jpg

The track for this week's time trial will be the Streets of Willow Springs. The event will be run in the forwards variation with Sports: Soft compound tires.

Looks like an interesting duel we have on our hands here. It'll be interesting to see how the Mustang performs given Ford showed up in the more luxurious version of the GT. The Camaro seems more like the car you'd want at the track, while the Mustang is the one you'd want to drive home afterwards. In any case, we'll see how they perform in due time. Now go at it and see which one is the fastest.

Last edited:
I started with the Camaro - and my initial impression was that it was very "tail happy". I really struggled to keep it hood first on this short track. After 10 laps I only managed a 1:25.628.

Then I got the Mustang on the track and was able to manage it much better around the track. It seemed slower and acceleration lacking compared to the Camaro, but I could hold it on the track. Any mistakes I made were easily recovered and didn't ruin the whole lap. Sure enough, after 10 laps, I managed to beat the Camaro's time with a 1:23.358.

But...this has never been my favorite track, and I am not that familiar with it. So, was the Mustang really better, or was it because I learned a few things about the track itself that lead to a better time? To be fair, I had to give the Camaro another try. Almost magically, the Camaro didn't seem so slippery anymore, controlled braking and acceleration were easier - the result? A 1:22.372 for the Camaro.

My take: when it comes to speed and acceleration, the Camaro is better, but the Mustang is more well mannered on a curvy track. I was more relaxed driving the Mustang, able to better anticipate turns and braking - but maybe that was just because it was slower. The Camaro took more work, more caution in the turns, and I had to ease on the accelerator coming out of them. On a track with longer straights and more sweeping turns - like Big Willow, the Camaro gets my easy vote. For this track, I'd be willing to bet I could beat the Camaro's time with a little more work on the Mustang.

Overall, voting for the car, not the car/track combo, my vote is for the Camaro.

This week's duel results are as follows

Lap Times (16 Laps)

Chevrolet Camaro SS: 1:18.848
Ford Mustang GT: 1:19.651

Driver's Comments
Ah yes, the rivalry between two of America's greatest coupes at the Streets of Willow, a horse VS a...something that eats horses? Ah, whatever, we are looking on their (not so) latest generations of the Mustang and the Camaro today, changing the pace from having two Japanese Gr.3 machines around a WEC track to two of some icey American road metal around a track day circuit in the middle of a desert.

The Camaro is up first and it's slidey indeed! I have to fight with its handling characteristics to get around this mostly 2nd gear track. The fastest lap itself has no penalties achieved, though I do have track limit issues on other fast laps. Optimum lap is a 1:18.260.

The Mustang on the other hand is easier to drive, therefore you will have a safer approach to this technical track. You'll need to stay in 3rd gear for those who haven't got the luxury of a shifter and clutch setup. Again, the fastest lap has no penalties assesed, but thankfully there are less penalized laps than in the Camaro. Optimum lap is a 1:18.975

Verdict
The Camaro is good on most tracks with some kind of a big straight, but it's a little bit sketchy, though you can stay in 2nd gear for this track no problem

The Mustang is just easier and better handling for me, though the brakes can have some work done. Plus, you can hang around in 3rd gear for it not to bog down during gear changes.

RZQ votes for:
Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback '15

Last week: Gazoo Racing Supra WEC VS Chihaya Kisaragi NSX
This week: Bright Yellow SS VS Oxford White GT
Next week: Zuikaku Kai Ni RC F VS Michishio Kai Ni M6?
The week after next: @Tidgney VS @GumballCGT?

Back