GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
- Gran Turismo Sport Duel of the Week #19 Wrap-up -

Sorry to leave you hanging on the last week (*Looks at calendar*, *coughs up blood*). But the Audi R8 Absolutley stomped the BMW M4. That was kind of expected with a supercar going up against a sports car. The BMW isn't just an ordinary sports car, mind you, but the R8 is just a more refined machine despite being older.

The votes speak for themselves:

BMW M4 F82

BMW M4 Coupe '14

Audi R8 4.2.

By my count, that's a solid 7:4 ratio in favour of the Audi R8 4.2.

So wrapping up the super-long week 19, we have the Audi R8 4.2 as our winner of Duel 19.

8368343500555550724_0.jpg

Last edited:
- Gran Turismo Sport Duel of the Week #20 -
"Pure"

Hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted in this thread. However, there's been an outcry for this thread to be revitalized so that's exactly what I'm going to do. (In other words, call me Thanos 'cause I'm shedding that armour.) I think earlier weeks where I was forcing everyone to work on one tyre compound, on one specific track, posting time trial laps with proof, monitoring and amalgamating all that data just made me and some others burnt out.

I was focused on my livery editor work so long I forgot the simple pleasures of taking a car that isn't in a group category out to the track by itself in a time trial and throwing it around. I'm sure some of you feel that way too, the FIA races must make this game feel a lot like a second job or the daily races are just too frustrating. Well, let me tell you: there's more to this game than just that. This is a message I hope to convey with our next two contestants in this thread. We have two affordable small cars from Japan with a similar focus on driving pleasure.

8071085032615183884_0.jpg

The 1983 Toyota Sprinter Trueno 1600GT Apex...

...and...

8512464184043143172_0.jpg

The 1989 Mazda Eunos Roadster (MX-5)!

The purpose of this week and these cars is to return to this thread's roots when it was started all the way back in GT6 by @Cowboy. There isn't going to be a competitive time trial this week because I'm abandoning the concept. There wasn't one when the thread started and I feel like forcing yourself to compete for best time week after week gets people burnt out. It's all about the votes now, drive anywhere you want and drive in whichever style best suits you. Max out your cars and see which one is better, run with them online in a lobby, or just get a feel for them both. I just need to know which one you prefer by the end of the week.

The rest of the week is yours, make it an enjoyable one! :)

Last edited:
It's a little heartbreaking that we had all this fervor to get this show back on the road. We got a new duel, and now five days later, we have literally no posts.

I'll do one later tonight. This needs a kickstart if we're gonna bring this back.

I've been busy all week, had this tab open wanting to write something up.

Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA) '89
1,597 cc
117 hp / 6500 rpm
101 ft-lbs / 5500 rpm
2,072 lbs

Toyota Sprinter Trueno 1600GT APEX (AE86) '83
1,587 cc
127 hp / 6500 rpm
110 ft-lbs / 5000 rpm
2,072 lbs

AE86 has all the advantages on paper. How do they compare at Suzuka Circuit?

How is it that neither car has a noticeable advantage? AE86 reaches 112 mph on the straight versus 111 mph in the Mazda. Both cars dropped down to 63 mph in the first corner. The Mazda's center of gravity is much lower, and perhaps some of the dimensions are better-proportioned, enabling it to keep up with the more powerful AE86. I would love to own both, and it's killing me to choose one, but I'll go with the Mazda. It's been around for 30 years, and is a classic modern British roadster with Japanese engineering. The AE86 would be nothing without Initial D fame, but it's awesome because of that, too...

It's been a while hasn't it? Let's see if I remember how to do this.

To kick off this revival, we have two classic Japanese sports cars that were prevalent in racing, both in legitimate and illicit venues.

Our first competitor is the Toyota Sprinter Trueno, or AE86 as it's commonly known. This Toyota hatchback has had significant cultural prominence as the hero car of the manga and anime adaptation of Initial D, driven by one Takumi Fujiwara, a tofu delivery boy, who gets sucked into the world of touge. In Japan, this car was sought after for its FR layout, low body weight, impressive handling capabilities, and affordability. These qualities made it, alongside its twin, the Corolla Levin, wonderful drift cars, even today. Keiichi Tsuchiya, the man who popularized drifting, owns a notchback 86 and has demonstrated its excellent drifting properties many a time, especially on video magazine Best Motoring. In more legitimate and professional circles, this car was a significant Japanese competitor in Touring Car racing and in the World Rally Championship.

Our second competitor is the Mazda Eunos Roadster, or Mazda MX-5, or Mazda Miata as it's known elsewhere. The classic "hairdresser's" car is known in car culture as the NA. Lightweight sports convertibles were more the UK's thing back in the 1960s and 1970s, but Mazda decided to take that concept in the waning months of the 1980s and make it affordable without sacrificing wonderful performance. As with the AE86, this car was sought after for its FR layout, impressive handling, affordability and the light and well-balanced nature of the car. This car gets mocked as not being a very "masculine" car, but in this day and age this car is seen more and more for many of the aforementioned qualities coupled with a very extensive aftermarket selection, so these cars are becoming less and less likely to invite criticism... so long as you change out the stock Daisy flower rims.

Tokyo Expressway - East Outer Loop Trial:
86: 2:52.058
NA: 2:51.195

Ouch, looks like nearly an entire second between the Roadster and the AE86. Both cars handled pretty closely, but the Mazda must've cleared the corners better.

The Eunos Roadster gets my vote.

I haven't done much skilled testing of either of these cars, but here is one of my biggest deciding factors. Will it roll?

With that, I like both cars quite a lot but one has to win.
I like drifting and obviously that is what the Toyota is famous for, but the MX5 doesn't not drift. With both being light and rear wheel drive, they are both equally fun to drift.
It has also been shown on this thread that both are pretty equal on lap times, so as of now neither car has an edge for me...
but both of their headlights go up and go down, so that is annoying because it's outdated and overrated technology. I'll give my vote to the Trueno because at least it had the pop ups when they were still popular.

Last edited:
I took these two cars around Tokyo Central Outer to see what kind of go they have, and the results didn't surprise me.

With the AE86, my best lap was brushing a 1:42 flat. With the MX5? My first lap was a 1:41.6. All things considered, the MX5 generally feels better as it has less understeer, better aerodynamics and better center of gravity.

My vote is: Miata is always the answer.

In Gran Turismo, we have the luxury of tuning pretty much any vehicle to be competitive with one another, and with the advent of Balance of Performance in GT Sport, it's never been easier to get a race going with two cars of a similar vein. This week, we had two cars that had very similar specs, but wildly different demeaners.

Toyota: This little car is an interesting one, it doesn't have much in the way of upgrade potential as some weeaboos might have wanted, but it certainly is capable of holding a drift. This is due to it weighing about the same as a paperclip and having the incredible layout of Rear-Wheel Drive. This is fun for a solo run, but stock it's not that great of a track fighter compared to our Miata. the super-skinny tires and high ride height make the car more of a handful in the bendy stuff. It really wants to get the tail out like a proper drift car, but that isn't much help during a corner.

Mazda: This is the little, bubbly fun car we fell in love with all the way back in previous GT games, in hyper-HD! The car is as spritely as ever through the corners, and really benefits from GT Sport's enhanced physics model over previous games. This car really does have it all to be top dog down in the N100 class, but the Alpine's overpowered nature with the rear-mounted engine and rallying heritage has put a stop to that. Still, this car will serve you well in just about any race you enter, whether it be upgraded or BoP'd.

Alright, so how did each one fare around the track known as Suzuka?

I was able to hit a 2:43.0 with the Miata, and a 2:43.2 with the Toyota. I unfortunately felt the need to re-adjust the AE-86 through a few corners due to the slippery ride and narrow tires, the Miata didn't have such problems. It's lower centre of gravity allows it to tackle each corner with ease.

So my vote this week goes to the Miata: a great little car with sublime handling. Still holding the benchmark decades later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what you guys had to say about it:​

Alright, I think that settles it. it's 4-1 in favour of a certain car. Our winner of the small 80's Japanese cars is the...

6917555424646432272_0.jpg

Mazda Eunos Roadster (MX-5) '89!

Anyways, thanks to all the regulars for heeding the call and re-joining the fray with another round of reviews! It's always a pleasure to read those. Thanks to any new viewers who have been drawn to the thread by this revival too, we hope to see you in a future week. As for me, I need to get to work preparing the next duel, so stay tuned.

- Gran Turismo Sport Duel of the Week #21 -
"FT-1: Resurrection!"

This week, we have some dark witchcraft that has befallen our thread, one which the council of regulars will surely know, for we sealed it away long ago. The thunder booms and the black cats hiss as an ancient and cursed seal has been broken on a hideous plague. The dreaded word only spoken in bastard tongue; “FT-1!”

Thunder: “Boom! Kabloom!”

This ancient evil has risen and has been given shape once more! The amount of times it was featured before has risen from 5 to 6, the numeral featured in the number of the beast!

*Demon Shriek!!!*

What is this unspeakable dreaded evil you might ask? Why dead reader, it’s not but the dreaded...

426737DF-18E6-418F-A342-C9D7F4D0220D.jpeg

Toyota FT-1 Concept!

But what’s this? Our wise king MrWaflz55 hath decreed he has selected another brave champion to slay this evil! He is new to this land, a descendant of the legendary warrior 300SL! So, be brave young squire from Eifel! His name is the...

EC66C055-4756-4209-AA01-F71D1E7EAD08.jpeg

...Mercedes-AMG GT S!

So go forth my brave army, fight back against the forces of darkness with thine automatic spoilers o’ downforce, and doth sports tires of rubbery grip! May our week be fruitful and our battle be swift! Or, will our heroes be tempted by the fruit produced by this ancient Yokai? It's hard to decide at this point of the war, but it will be a grand spectacle for sure.

So rise my Knights-of-sport-mode-Errant, or Wizards of Tuning! Cast your votes to either restore the seal and banish the darkness, or bolster the demon's strength and conquer the land, this week is yours to decide!​

Last edited:
Licking its wounds from the previous duel, Toyota is back again, with the FT-1 concept car. Upon its introduction, Toyota didn't call it the new Supra, just meant it to be a celebration of performance cars that Toyota has done, but the fact that we got an official racing car from them last year, and an official production model called the Supra this year that looked like a baby FT-1 determined that was a lie. The figures of this car in-game are entirely fictional and theoretical, so going into the mechanics of it may be an exercise in futility, but it's no doubt what Toyota fans wanted since they made the 86 a reality.

Mercedes has a longtime racing pedigree that dates back as far as the 1930s. They currently dominate in Formula 1, and they have pretty solid GT3 cars nowadays too. The AMG GT is the second Mercedes model to be built from scratch by AMG, succeeding the SLS. Like the Mercedes SLS, this is the second Mercedes to be a cover car for the game. Not quite as powerful as its older brother, it's also not quite as heavy either, allowing for a little more maneuverability on the track. How much of a difference will that make on the Nurburgring? We shall see.

Nurburgring GP Trial:
FT-1: 2:15.399
AMG GT: 2:16.578

While the AMG definitely felt a lot more free and playful in the corners, the FT-1's all business nature was probably what gave it the edge to be consistently faster around the track.

Though it could loosen up a little, the FT-1 is faster and thus gets my vote.

I'm glad the duel has come back in much more casual form 👍 Let's just say I haven't felt like making videos and for sure did not want to make a separate youtube account. So, that being said, the results from this weeks challengers were not exactly what I'd figured.

Since the settings on the FT-1 aren't changeable, I did not mess with the Merc. The FT-1 is fast for sure, but the fixed settings has hurt it (IMO). If nothing else, I'd at least like to be able to adjust the LSD. It does most things decently, turn-in is OK, and handles mid to high speed corners well. Gear ratios are good but it is limited to 180mph due to (again) not being able to adjust the settings.

I fully expected the AMG GT S to kick the FT-1's behind. I was suffering delusions. While it is more eager to turn, that is magnified by an increased susceptibility to lose the rear end. I found myself taking some turns slower than I'd normally like to keep the rear in check. It also lights the rear tires up even with TC1. Additionally, the chassis doesn't feel "tight" like the FT-1 does. It also doesn't sound as nice. Top speed is 194mph.

And for extra measure I also tested the AMG Safety Car. It was not a surprise to me, or perhaps anyone else that has compared this to the stock version. PD has done something with the settings on this, and it does absolutely everything better. I first noticed this when I'd made up a tune I liked for the Safety Car and was unable to get the same values on the stock version. It would be a go-to for me if it wasn't Gr.X with the resulting limitations. Top speed is 206.

I turned some laps at Autodromo Lago Maggiore West. TC1, ABS weak. CSA off.

1. Toyota FT-1 1:33. 171
2. Merc AMG GT S Safety Car 1:33.791 (with tuning this could easily beat the FT-1)
3. Merc AMG GT S 1:35.428.

The Toyota FT-1 gets my vote!

8287191837037331468_0.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, but here's the deal.

This duel started last May.

In that time, literally two votes have been cast, one of them being mine. For this thread to continue, we need a lot more participation than just that. I see that you've expressed interest in this continuing, and a couple of people liked your message, but have you taken either of these cars for a spin? Have you even bothered to even just say "I like this car, so I'll vote for it."

I don't mean to be the bad guy here, but saying that this should continue while also failing to actually contribute to the duel at hand is kind of a mixed message.

@MrWaflz55 do you think we should just retire this thing?

Thrasher's right, nobody has any right complaining about the lack of updates in a thread that's had two whole contributions in over half a year. If you want the official explanation as to what's going on around here, this thread's officially dead until people show enough interest that it warrants continuation. I've had to restart this thread once before just on this game alone because people don't seem interested enough to participate. I don't very much care to repeat the process unfortunately.

If you're reading this and you're a regular from long ago, or were involved in the GTS iteration of the thread I thank you for your support. We had some great times in the past and I'm glad I got to share those moments with you all. Unfortunately it seems as though GTS just isn't the kind of game that warrants a thread like this. Considering the whole "destroy the car encyclopedia" image that PD tried to shove down our throats in 2017, it's no wonder a thread like this just isn't doing well in the new e-sports dominated culture.

So from my perspective, this thread was killed by a lack of interest from an evolving community as a result the kind of game GT Sport is in the first place. This thread was a tonne more popular back in the day when the cars were the focus of the game over the competition aspect, and a thread like this plays to the encyclopedia ethos so much better than the e-sports ideology.

I think the Sport iteration of this thread was the most popular here when we were running competitive time trials. That brought in all the competitive guys and unfortunately it made a lot of people start bickering and acting really salty so I shut it down (which directly caused the first crash of this thread). I think adding that aspect to the thread was really a bad idea and made it loose its identity. This place is first and foremost a platform for discussing our passion of cars, not a place to get angry over corner cutting and cheating.

If you want a real idea of the content I look for in this thread, go back and read all the write-ups and comparisons from the GT6 version of DoTW. Back then it was all about the reviews of each car people wrote and that’s always what I’ve appreciated most about this format.

Long story short, this thread is dead at the moment and if you want to see it return, I'm not going to stop people from contributing to the previous "week". Currently I'm holding out hope that GT7 is the light at the end of the tunnel for a return to this format. Something that will bring back the joy of simply driving.

(I’d sure as hell love to see this thread pick up in interest again. There’s been a tonne of interesting cars added in updates like the new Ford GT and Porsche Carrera that I’d love to see featured in their own duels with other cars.)

So if you’re reading this I again urge you to participate. I might have set this thread as inactive but it’s ultimately up to you guys whether it stays or goes because I sure as hell can’t run a format like this without a community surrounding it.

Last edited:
As a past member of the DOTW GT6 it saddens me that this has died, I would have joined here but I don't have a ps4.
Even though I was only in it for a short while, I really liked the idea. So much so when I started the CHALLENGE HUB on gt6 I based a whole challenge on DOTW called THE BATTLES.

I have started a competition between the GT6 CHALLENGE HUB and the GTS CAR OF THE WEEK guys that you might be interested in.
We use a car and a track that is in both games and race head to head earning points for our team.
You guys could join if you like. A team of 5 is needed.

Hey guys. Not sure how many of you are still out there or regularly touch GT Sport, but I'd just like to say that recently I haven't been touching this game at all. Instead I've adopted PC gaming and modding Assetto Corsa as my car fix. However, GTS is still installed, fully updated and I'd really like to give this iteration of Duel of the Week a proper sendoff. If enough of you out there are reading, the duel will be the 2017 Ford GT against the 2007 RUF CTR3. If there's not enough interest out there, then I'll hold off. Speaking of...

Just know that Duel of the Week will return. I am committed to the purchasing and playing of GT7 on the PS5 once that releases and you can bet Duel of the Week 3 won't be too far behind. There are so many cool new cars out there like the Carrera GT, BAC Mono, and I'd imagine many more coming down the line. I'd also imagine that 7's more traditional approach to being a video game will allow the community to prosper a little better than it has during the PS4 era. So, until the next duel whether it's here or beyond, I'll see you guys around.

Are we doing this based on "use whatever metrics you see fit"? Or are we gonna try and poke the bear with a time trial again and hope people don't try and strangle each other?

To be honest I’m not quite sure at this point. I’d like to have non-competitive time trials return but the problem is finding a way of doing that without having the S/S come in and start yelling at everyone for abusing track limits or cheating.

I think the easiest way is to have the track limits be whatever the game imposes, but even that seemed to piss off the competitive guys last time who wanted the track limits to be the white lines around the island with no exceptions. Personally I don’t mind if you go four wheels off onto a kerb and the game still counts your times, but it seems like a few people took offense to that before.

I was thinking of maybe having a kiddie pool time trial for non-FIA drivers to record their laps, but that just seems like a dumb way to segregate an already tiny portion of the community.

Of course I’m always open to suggestions. I don’t seem to have any good ideas for this. It seems like now that Sport Mode is here for good, the time trials are destined to devolve into a salt mine no matter what I think of.

I feel like you can run the time trial as an optional take-it-or-leave-it deal. Run them with the game's built-in track limits, and not as a competitive thing. The objective of this thread is to compare and contrast the cars, not the drivers, right?

The TT should really only serve as a means of letting drivers push themselves to go faster and to introduce - and I'm going to really stress this - FRIENDLY competition. If anyone decides to have an issue with the TTs, they're simply not welcome in this thread, imho. The best you can do is just ignore and block people who cause issues, honestly.

edit: Waffles, just keep in mind that you're never gonna make everyone happy. Just run your own show and let the right people fall into place. :cheers:

Last edited:
If anyone decides to have an issue with the TTs, they're simply not welcome in this thread, imho. The best you can do is just ignore and block people who cause issues, honestly.

I appreciate the sentiment, Obelisk. I'm not going to name names but the problem is that at the height of our popularity in Sport when we used to get 10 or so votes, those kinds of guys were like half of our community. Then the fiasco happened, I took away time trials and they left like I wanted. Unfortunately after that the popularity of our thread tanked and we didn't have a consistent amount of people voting ever again after that.

That's why I'm hoping 7 brings some people back, or some new faces that appreciate the cars they're driving rather than being here just to stomp others with said cars. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to be compete with each other, but if you're looking for FIA time trials, there's a place for that and it's not here. I want to feel like a community club leader, not an NFL referee throwing flags on the ground and blowing whistles in people's faces.

Either way, time trials or not, Duel of the Week 3 will at least be attempted on GT7. I have hope that it'll turn out better than this thread, especially with the return of Performance Points, but since the FIA is still sticking around it's still up in the air what kind of community the new thread will attract when it comes time to start it.

I can understand the sentiments completely.

That said...I'll poke around with the '17 GT and the CTR3 after work today.

Alright, alright, alright.

So a 2017 American supercar versus a 2007 body-in-white exotic. Ten years and a world of difference in technological advances, techniques and tools ought to make one side a clear winner, right?

Maybe not. We'll see.

And here are my tests. Both cars are standardized at 100% Power, 100% Weight and on a nice fresh set of Sports: Soft tyres.

1. Standing start 10 km run (SSRX main straight)

1. 1000m speed

2. Top of hill max speed

3. Bottom of hill max speed

4. 10000m speed
  2. Warm-up and Flying Lap

1. Laguna Seca

2. Tokyo Expressway East Outer

3. Circuit de la Sarthe (Only one lap - enough distance between starting point and start line to get warmed up)
  3. VS Professional AI

1. Monza (3 laps)

Tests

Ford GT '17:

Standing 10km:
  • 1000m: 177 MPH

• Top of hill (5000m): 214 MPH

• Bottom of hill (7000m): 228 MPH

• 10000m: 225 MPH
RUF CTR3 '07

• 1000m: 182 MPH

• Top of hill (5000m): 217 MPH

• 10000m: 224 MPH
This was a pretty interesting result, but as for why, the answer's pretty subtle. The CTR3 hit redline at 228 MPH and didn't have enough ratio/power to sustain quite the same speed as the GT. The GT has plenty of room to stretch out once the acceleration advantage of the CTR3 is taken away at the hill. I do wanna note that these speeds are remarkably close and the GT can easily make up lost ground by drafting in a race.

Warm-Up/Flying Lap

Ford GT:
  • Laguna Seca

• L1: 1:36.241

• L2: 1:34.056
  • TE/EO

• L1: 2:10.060

• L2: 2:08.664
  • Sarthe:

• L1: 4:13.884
RUF CTR3:
  • Laguna Seca

• L1: 1:33.980

• L2: 1:33.619
  • TE/EO

• L1: 2:07.590

• L2: 2:07.131
  • Sarthe:

• L1: 4:13.142
I'll admit I struggled with the RUF a bit on Sarthe. There's a pretty clear trend so far with the way the cars behave and perform - the Ford GT feels "safe", but more sluggish while the CTR3 feels a lot faster and riskier. In time trials, these traits don't matter as much and the CTR3's higher acceleration overrides its drawbacks in handling and stability. How this translates into practical racing condition, we'll see...

VS Professional AI @ Monza

Ford GT: 1st (+Clean Race Bonus, 1:59.8 FL, 6:19.184 total)

RUF CTR3: 1st (+Clean Race Bonus, 1:57.338 FL, 6:10.194 total)

Well then. The CTR3's stability issue is essentially nonexistent in this context, and it blows the GT away in terms of relative performance! As a note, the Ford GT passed the rabbit AI (1st) near the end of sector 3 in lap 2. The CTR3 took the lead halfway through sector 2 in lap 2. That's a hefty difference.

And being someone who struggles with midship and rear engined cars, the CTR3 and GT were both phenomenal drives. In terms of usability and flexibility, the GT has a slight edge in being a bit easier to use, but it does feel more sluggish in general. By comparison, the CTR3 is a bit more wild, but a lot faster and still relatively easy to tame.

The last point, for me at least, is the price point of both cars. The 2017 Ford GT is at 550,000 credits, and the 2007 RUF CTR3 is at 600,000. Honestly, at these prices, 50k for a noticeable jump in all-out speed is absolutely negligible.

Both cars are great, but my vote has to go to the RUF CTR3 for punch significantly harder in the same bracket for ~ 10% more in the price tag and still offering very good drivability.

Sadly, 10 years of technological advancement did not save the GT.

Alright, alright, alright.

So a 2017 American supercar versus a 2007 body-in-white exotic. Ten years and a world of difference in technological advances, techniques and tools ought to make one side a clear winner, right?

Maybe not. We'll see.

And here are my tests. Both cars are standardized at 100% Power, 100% Weight and on a nice fresh set of Sports: Soft tyres.

1. Standing start 10 km run (SSRX main straight)
    1. 1000m speed

2. Top of hill max speed

3. Bottom of hill max speed

4. 10000m speed
  2. Warm-up and Flying Lap
    1. Laguna Seca

2. Tokyo Expressway East Outer

3. Circuit de la Sarthe (Only one lap - enough distance between starting point and start line to get warmed up)
  3. VS Professional AI
    1. Monza (3 laps)

Tests

Ford GT '17:

Standing 10km:
  • 1000m: 177 MPH

• Top of hill (5000m): 214 MPH

• 10000m: 225 MPH
RUF CTR3 '07

• 1000m: 182 MPH

• Top of hill (5000m): 217 MPH

• 10000m: 224 MPH
This was a pretty interesting result, but as for why, the answer's pretty subtle. The CTR3 hit redline at 228 MPH and didn't have enough ratio/power to sustain quite the same speed as the GT. The GT has plenty of room to stretch out once the acceleration advantage of the CTR3 is taken away at the hill. I do wanna note that these speeds are remarkably close and the GT can easily make up lost ground by drafting in a race.

Warm-Up/Flying Lap

Ford GT:
  • Laguna Seca
    • L1: 1:36.241

• L2: 1:34.056
  • TE/EO
    • L1: 2:10.060

• L2: 2:08.664
  • Sarthe:
    • L1: 4:13.884
RUF CTR3:
  • Laguna Seca
    • L1: 1:33.980

• L2: 1:33.619
  • TE/EO
    • L1: 2:07.590

• L2: 2:07.131
  • Sarthe:
    • L1: 4:13.142
I'll admit I struggled with the RUF a bit on Sarthe. There's a pretty clear trend so far with the way the cars behave and perform - the Ford GT feels "safe", but more sluggish while the CTR3 feels a lot faster and riskier. In time trials, these traits don't matter as much and the CTR3's higher acceleration overrides its drawbacks in handling and stability. How this translates into practical racing condition, we'll see...

VS Professional AI @ Monza

Ford GT: 1st (+Clean Race Bonus, 1:59.8 FL, 6:19.184 total)

RUF CTR3: 1st (+Clean Race Bonus, 1:57.338 FL, 6:10.194 total)

Well then. The CTR3's stability issue is essentially nonexistent in this context, and it blows the GT away in terms of relative performance! As a note, the Ford GT passed the rabbit AI (1st) near the end of sector 3 in lap 2. The CTR3 took the lead halfway through sector 2 in lap 2. That's a hefty difference.

And being someone who struggles with midship and rear engined cars, the CTR3 and GT were both phenomenal drives. In terms of usability and flexibility, the GT has a slight edge in being a bit easier to use, but it does feel more sluggish in general. By comparison, the CTR3 is a bit more wild, but a lot faster and still relatively easy to tame.

The last point, for me at least, is the price point of both cars. The 2017 Ford GT is at 550,000 credits, and the 2007 RUF CTR3 is at 600,000. Honestly, at these prices, 50k for a noticeable jump in all-out speed is absolutely negligible.

Both cars are great, but my vote has to go to the RUF CTR3 for punch significantly harder in the same bracket for ~ 10% more in the price tag and still offering very good drivability.

Sadly, 10 years of technological advancement did not save the GT.

The Ford GT is maybe not the better, but always the faster cars on each track, when both cars are pushed to the limit.

The Ford GT is maybe not the better, but always the faster cars on each track, when both cars are pushed to the limit.
The GT lost on every single metric I tested. It is not the faster car.

Back