GT Sport DVD version doesn't install on PS5

England
England
Just received a PS5.

Until some decent games with VR compatibility come along for the PS5 (GT7 and hopefully a PS5 VR version of Ace Combat, basically) I'm going to save my money and play PS4 titles already bought.

Top of my list is PS4's GT Sport.

So I started the PS5, transferred my saves (easy with a USB stick), inserted the game disc and...

...nothing, apart from some disc spinning noises for a few seconds.

I thought most PS4 games were backwards compatible with the PS5. I don't see GT Sport on any list of incompatible games.

So what the heck is going on? Anyone know, please?

A Google search for the words - Gran Turismo Sport PS5 - and other variations along those lines don't even generate any relevant returns, never mind useful advice or confirmation of successful installation. I detect another Sony shambles.

While I'm here having a moan, the first PS5 launch video showed GT7 in all its glory. Wow, lets buy a PS5 so's we can play that! Latest Sony revelation is GT7 'estimated sometime in the first half of 2021'. I feel conned by Sony...yet again. Why do I keep falling for it?

...and I really do hope they finally sort out the engine sounds in GT7. GT Sport sounds were way better that previous food blender/vacuum cleaner efforts, but were still far from the spine tingling symphonies in Assetto Corsa and the like.

GtSport does work fine on the PS5 so that isn't the issue. You are going to have to try a few things to narrow down the issue, another game in your PS5, disk in another console (PS4), etc. :boggled:

:gtplanet::cheers:

Hmm, thanks ASH32, did as you suggest.

Ace Combat 7 skies Unknown also won't install on my PS5.

Ace Combat and GT Sport were both already installed on my PS4 and both still run OK on my PS4.

Thanks to fisheye. Both disks were clean; no fingerprints, specs, dust etc.

I've even tried putting the discs in the PS5 with the artwork side on the underside, in case the PS5 has an oddball orientation. Still doesn't install the relevant game onto PS5.

I never knew GT Sport comes in DVD version, I thought it's all Bluray? Forgive me for asking but is this a bootleg version? Maybe the PS5 has a checking feature to prevent usage of pirated copies.

LeGeNd -1, thanks for pointing that out. I used the term 'DVD' carelessly. 'Game disc' would have been better. Came with the PS4, IIRC, so not a pirated disc.

Thanks to Tassie_tiger. Good point. Definitely connected to the internet.

I'm suspecting a faulty disc drive, based on the results of following ASH32's logic. The fact that I've tried both disc orientations and not received an error message for one of them backs up that conclusion. BTW, a friend confirms shiny disc side down/artwork side up with the console in the horizontal position is correct. That's as you'd expect.

Edit: Thanks to daan. Your message appeared while I was typing the above. I've tried GT Sport and Ace Combat 7 PS4 game discs, both official copies. Neither works in the PS5. I agree that the drive seems to be faulty. Can't think of any other ways to confirm that conclusion, although I'll definitely try Resident Evil and Tomb Raider before I arrange return for replacement of the PS5 (and I'm thinking that might take a while to achieve, the way supplies are being snapped up).

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same issue. I've installed Spider man via PS5 disc (so it PS5 discs work), but GT sport is the first PS4 disc I've tried. Install has failed twice.
Turned the PS4 Pro back on. I then tried moving the PS4 install (100gb) to its external USB hard drive and then I plugged that into the PS5. I thought this would work as the game file is fully up to date. So I thought the PS5 would just want the disc inserted to confirm I own the game and then run the external hard drive install. Didn't work, it just started downloading a massive update (as if it was ignoring the version already installed to the hard drive). I don't think it's a hardware issue, so hoping updates might sort it out. Annoying that they haven't included GT Sport with the PS Plus Collection.

It took forever for me... in the end it kept failing.
Gave the disc a wipe (looked clean but wiped anyway) and it finished in seconds.

However my wheel (using GIMX) doesnt work so sadly I'm no better off at the moment

Thanks to mynameis66 for asking. Four different PS4 games refuse to install on my PS5. I hear spinning noises when I insert a disc, but no installing occurs. The spinning stops after a few seconds and that's the end of it.

Faulty disc drive or associated...whatever. Back to the supplier for a replacement I'm afraid.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. 👍

I've not tried again since yesterday. Looks like my issue is different as it does try to install from the disc (gets an install error a 3rd of the way through). I'll try Wreckfest tomorrow.

Back