GT Sport: from utter disappointment to racing bliss

• Thread starter LordHernan
  • 39 comments
Australia
Sydney
Hernan888
I have been a Gran Turismo fan since the original, Gran Turismo is why I'm a PlayStation gamer and why I know I will always buy a PlayStation console. However going into GT Sport, I was worried by its focus on online racing. Many of those worries were confirmed on October 17, as I found the daily races repetitive and shallow, most of the tracks were locked away behind a level system, and VR functionality was limited, and so were the tracks available to race on. However, my biggest gripe was the absence of a traditional campaign. I was actually very sad, my favourite console racer had fallen from grace. I would have to contend with playing Forza 7 and PC2 to get my racing fix. Between release and Christmas Day, I played GT Sport for a total of 3 hours.

However on Christmas night I decided to give GT Sport one more chance. I was aware that a bare bones version of the campaign was added, and was eager to give it a try. So I busted out my G29, and 4 hours later I had completed most of beginner races in GT League, dabbled into scapes and was half way through the licences. Giving me the heart and soul of what a GT game is had motivated me to try and enjoy many of the modes I had previously dismissed. As a result I began to level up quite quickly, meaning that the tracks that were once locked were available, making even the VR function more compelling. During the coming weeks I would go on to give the online Sport mode a try again. Since then, I have become completely engrossed by this mode, even though I've never won a race. All in all, I'm absolutely loving GT Sport. I have stopped playing Forza (although eventually I'll get back to it), as I feel that I can once again enjoy the classic GT gameplay that I've found so compelling over the years. I'm very much looking forward to new content and the continued support of PD.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Nope, my experience was different. Bought it day one and I already quite enjoyed the Sport mode and new emphasis on competition. With every update the game just keeps on getting better.

I feel that some of the older fans get too caught up in the complaining and hate that they don't realise that as far as racing games go, GT Sport does the racing part the best in the series so far. Honestly, all the little complaints become meaningless when you get into the racing groove, shaving off the tenths of seconds trying to catch the 911 RSR in front of you, while defending the inside line from a guy in a Mustang breathing down your neck.

Last edited:
I have to say I was almost the same as you. I'm not that into competitive online racing and along with the lack of content when sport was released really put me off from buying GTS. The release of the new campaign mode along with more production cars finally got me to go out and buy it.
After completing all the license test and the new campaign mode I decided to give sport mode a try. To my surprise I kinda enjoyed it more than expected and found myself really working on my DR & SR. It is far from perfect but the foundation is there to keep building on something that could be great.

I definitely miss the classic GT and I still play offline if that's what you want to call it more than I do sport mode but with all this new content that keeps being added I've found myself completely pulled in by GTS and I'm really enjoying it.

Yep was extremely disappointed by GTSport and its departure from the traditional game.
Played single player, completed everything, golded everything, was about to give up... Then I got into Sport Mode.
OMFGONTOAST!!!

Its digital Crack!
I go to bed thinking/dreaming of the following Daily C Race every night.

The single player update we got at the end of December just confirmed it, it needs to die and fast.

Sport Mode is the best racing and gaming i have ever done in 30 years.

I have been a Gran Turismo fan since the original, Gran Turismo is why I'm a PlayStation gamer and why I know I will always buy a PlayStation console. However going into GT Sport, I was worried by its focus on online racing. Many of those worries were confirmed on October 17, as I found the daily races repetitive and shallow, most of the tracks were locked away behind a level system, and VR functionality was limited, and so were the tracks available to race on. However, my biggest gripe was the absence of a traditional campaign. I was actually very sad, my favourite console racer had fallen from grace. I would have to contend with playing Forza 7 and PC2 to get my racing fix. Between release and Christmas Day, I played GT Sport for a total of 3 hours.

However on Christmas night I decided to give GT Sport one more chance. I was aware that a bare bones version of the campaign was added, and was eager to give it a try. So I busted out my G29, and 4 hours later I had completed most of beginner races in GT League, dabbled into scapes and was half way through the licences. Giving me the heart and soul of what a GT game is had motivated me to try and enjoy many of the modes I had previously dismissed. As a result I began to level up quite quickly, meaning that the tracks that were once locked were available, making even the VR function more compelling. During the coming weeks I would go on to give the online Sport mode a try again. Since then, I have become completely engrossed by this mode, even though I've never won a race. All in all, I'm absolutely loving GT Sport. I have stopped playing Forza (although eventually I'll get back to it), as I feel that I can once again enjoy the classic GT gameplay that I've found so compelling over the years. I'm very much looking forward to new content and the continued support of PD.

Have any of you had a similar experience?
GT Sport is easily the best Gran Turismo ever. I'm addicted to the livery editor and Sport Mode is great fun, when the racing is good. GT Sport is what GT5 should've been. I can't stop playing it.

After completing all the license test and the new campaign mode I decided to give sport mode a try. To my surprise I kinda enjoyed it more than expected and found myself really working on my DR & SR. It is far from perfect but the foundation is there to keep building on something that could be great.

This is also the first game version of GT I have played online and have thoroughly enjoyed the higher level of competition from human opponents over the games AI.

I do find I spend a lot of times running offline to improve my pace and consistency and try different cars to learn their strengths and weaknesses.

I have improved skillwise in the last couple of months from the higher level of competition from real people. I thought I was pretty decent at the game and the AI did not offer the challenge I needed to improve.

I did get a wake up call to where my skills are online and I enjoy the new challenge it offers. It gives a racer a reason to put in countless hours to find that extra second or so of lap time that was not required with the AI.

I have recently been racing less online as since the recent holidays the Sport races are much more of a crash fest I guess from the influx of so many new players. Hopefully it will calm down soon.

There are quite a few areas that need tweaking and adjusting but they do seem to be constantly working on the game at least.

I feel that some of the older fans get too caught up in the complaining and hate that they don't realise that as far as racing games go, GT Sport does the racing part the best in the series so far. Honestly, all the little complaints become meaningless when you get into the racing groove, shaving off the tenths of seconds trying to catch the 911 RSR in front of you, while defending the inside line from a guy in a Mustang breathing down your neck.

Maybe I'm missing something in your point, but what you describe there sounds exactly like the kind of online racing I used to enjoy against some regulars in GT5. What does GTS bring to the table? I haven't yet tried its online multiplayer myself.

It warms my heart to read OP has found more traditional enjoyment in the game after all, and many of the replies also have found enjoyment from the Sport mode.

Maybe I'm missing something in your point, but what you describe there sounds exactly like the kind of online racing I used to enjoy against some regulars in GT5. What does GTS bring to the table? I haven't yet tried its online multiplayer myself.

Organised Daily Races and the never-ending quest to improve your DR/SR rank. It's racing crack cocaine!

GT Sport is Game of the Year 2017 for me simply because of Sport Mode. The Thrill, tension and Satisfaction is Real.

Internet down yesterday so played GT League and campaign for 5 minutes and honestly just didn't click for me. The Thrill just wasn't there and i could win by driving like Maniac with no consequences. Don't think i can play offline much now.

PD has changed racing scene on Consoles now. Watch how other people follow now.

These threads always make me smile... Enjoy GT Sport! :cheers:

When GT Sport got unveiled at Copper Box, I was extremely mpressed by it. But in the deepest place in my heart, I felt like it's going to be a huge fail. "Oh, please no, this will be the last GT" - I said. No career mode? No classic cars? OG Tracks?

Then came the 2016 PSX event. That trailer made some hope for me. The progress was clearly visible, and positive. In July 2017 the game already looked like the most polished out of the big 3. And that was comfirmed later - In the second Beta.

And now, here we are, enjoying GTS, we are celebreting because of the new updates which make GT Sport a real Gran Turismo.

Thank you Polyphony Digital, thank you Kazunori Yamauchi, for giving us the real feeling back! :gtpflag:

Last edited:
I did not like the info from the beginning being so different. But when I bought it I was totale wrong. The GT feel was absolutely there even without GT league. When that came along all was well.

But GT sport mode is just brilliant. I dont have other words for it. Totale addicted. Very very competitive. Sure the penal system needs improvement but thats logical with something new like that. Have only done about 40 races online so need more work.

Last night we drove very fair and at level B S you see that the first round people are just holding up and breaking too early to avoid hitting each other. Race incidents happen along with adrenaline. But the first round you just see that people all want a fair race. I always said you cannot win first corner but that counts for the first round as well. Just love to see that kind of serious racing online with unknown people. Great great effort !!

Having said that yesterday was a little disappointment for me not concentrating fully so I might be the cause of some actions myself. Not braking into some or things like that but coming back on track without grip (I tried but came to wide). Or almost losing it in a corner and guy behind me Jjust cannot pass but needs to brake so those kind of not comfortable moments when I lose it. I tried also to wait for an opponent but driving in 5th place means you need to let all pass so I blinked my lights to say sorry.

Damn this game is so realistic and fun when you enter B S level (and up). And then all the free DLC make it all worth. I like spreading happy things instead of all at once.

Last edited:
I was the same mate, used to enjoy all the little beginner, amateur etc etc races and the licences.
It's what gran torismo is all about.

I'm convinced few people actually beat the campaign mode , it was truly fun racing . The custom race mode is also heaps of fun .
This game could be 10× better if Pd gave us 3 simple options in custom race
1. Ability to set the grid with cars from our garage .
2.Multi class racing
3. A fourth " legend " difficulty mode

Other suggestions would include Allowing us to allow tuned / unturned cars ( N700 is N700 cars and not tuned / detuned cars )

And if PD really wants to kick it out of the ballpark

Add the ability to SHARE custom events online in the discovery mode . This could basically replace seasonal events and would encourage people to collect cars \ tune \ create liverys as their cars would be hand picked opponents . This would give us infinite offline content .

For me.. Utter bliss to slight disappointment...

I had been enjoying the game as it was intended, did the missions and circuit experience then spent all my time split between VR, Sport mode, open lobbies. Never needing to worry about money as I never fancied the weird cars and always got gifted them in daily workouts.
I had earn't around 25 million in total since release date.

Now though, all my gaming time is going to be earning money in custom races to get the two 20 million cars. I won't be playing sport mode for a very long time now.
Why oh why did PD have to make these two cars so expensive???

I also had fantastic races online in GT5 with a GT500 championship some guys set up on here but GTSport is in a different league, the Driver Rating and Sportsmanship Rating change everything.
Seeing how good you really are compared to everyone else really opens your eyes and keeps you striving to improve.

I could honestly never play another game this generation its that good in Sport mode.

I had been enjoying the game as it was intended, did the missions and circuit experience then spent all my time split between VR, Sport mode, open lobbies. Never needing to worry about money as I never fancied the weird cars and always got gifted them in daily workouts.
I had earn't around 25 million in total since release date.

Now though, all my gaming time is going to be earning money in custom races to get the two 20 million cars. I won't be playing sport mode for a very long time now.
Why oh why did PD have to make these two cars so expensive???
I think we might be long lost twins... almost everything you post I am either in total agreement with, am experiencing the same thing.
Let me guess, you would never have driven the KTM, nor Blue Moon... but have been grinding for credits... am I right?

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1103429.html
- "GT 6" has many customized items, is there any plan to add the same elements in the future "GT SPORT"?
Mr. Yamauchi:
The customization factor of "GT SPORT" is different from the numbering, "GT 6", or "GT 7" which may come in the future. I think the customization factor will probably be the next work that will be what Kitchin and all of you will want

I think we can say goodbye to car customisation...

- F1 car came out to "GT SPORT", but there are no genres of car yet. Are you planning to add it in the future?
Mr. Yamauchi:
I do not think there is any reason to deny adding such a car.

I think we might be long lost twins... almost everything you post I am either in total agreement with, am experiencing the same thing.
Let me guess, you would never have driven the KTM, nor Blue Moon... but have been grinding for credits... am I right?
Not quite, I liked the xbow in Driveclub VR so bought it for GTS VR straight away to compare.
I started with 3 races at maggiore in the toyota, after the 1st race I switched it up by using cockpit view, but by the 3rd race I was bored with the AI, so watched TV, tea, smoke etc then I did 6 races at blue money moon, I have sore thumbs now so will put my wheel on minimum ffb before I do it again tomorrow.

Dont worry about the 20 million cars yet. For what I hear you cannot drive them in a race against each other yet.

Oh and whenever I see a Ford Raptor in real life I need to make a picture......addicted

I seem to have become a GT Sport addict myself. I'm new to the GT series, and have played this game nearly everyday since release.

Am I the only one that's clipped a curb in real life trying to hit the apex?

I scratched my Audi RS rims (pictured on my profile pic) on a tight turn in a stupidly small cark park just after Christmas. Does that count?

I'm convinced few people actually beat the campaign mode , it was truly fun racing . The custom race mode is also heaps of fun .
This game could be 10× better if Pd gave us 3 simple options in custom race
1. Ability to set the grid with cars from our garage .
2.Multi class racing
3. A fourth " legend " difficulty mode

Other suggestions would include Allowing us to allow tuned / unturned cars ( N700 is N700 cars and not tuned / detuned cars )

And if PD really wants to kick it out of the ballpark

Add the ability to SHARE custom events online in the discovery mode . This could basically replace seasonal events and would encourage people to collect cars \ tune \ create liverys as their cars would be hand picked opponents . This would give us infinite offline content .

I’d like to see qualifying in custom race mode.

I am still struggling with the lack of car customization & tuning. Not particularly happy with any of the vision gt fantasy cars or the focus on race cars over street cars.

GT was always an encyclopedia of automobiles... I loved being able to buy cars I had actually owned and tune them to limits I could never afford in real life. All that is gone. No more 4 rotor transplants into my FC RX-7

GTS is huge pivot from the heritage of the past games.... And while I'm disappointed about the (significant) changes... what the Game is doing... it's doing well. I'm actually quite pleased with the Sport mode. I love racing online. Love the physics. Love the graphics. Appreciate the audio improvements...

But this game needs more street cars, needs more tracks.... Needs more classic GT.

I am still struggling with the lack of car customization & tuning. Not particularly happy with any of the vision gt fantasy cars or the focus on race cars over street cars.

GT was always an encyclopedia of automobiles... I loved being able to buy cars I had actually owned and tune them to limits I could never afford in real life. All that is gone. No more 4 rotor transplants into my FC RX-7

GTS is huge pivot from the heritage of the past games.... And while I'm disappointed about the (significant) changes... what the Game is doing... it's doing well. I'm actually quite pleased with the Sport mode. I love racing online. Love the physics. Love the graphics. Appreciate the audio improvements...

But this game needs more street cars, needs more tracks.... Needs more classic GT.
GT never allowed us to swap engines. Its kind of funny people call the Gr 4/3 cars fictitious when 4 rotor FC's are rarer than race modified FC's in real life. I only know of one 4 rotor RX-7 in existence that's not a race car and actually runs. Heck I'd say there's only a couple dozen 3 rotors FC's existence, and most of them have custom engines . If you mod a car to something that doesn't exist in real life, its fictitious period. and there's nothing wrong with the fake race cars PD makes because every race car is unique.

have become a GT Sport addict myself.

Ditto, I love the online element of the game and pitting myself against actual racers rather than AI. I am excited for the arrival of more tracks, cars and events as time goes on. The individuality and creativity the livery creator allows is also a massive positive in my view.

It has pipped COD MW2 as my favourite game ever for me.

Back