GT Sport Plates - Create Own Custom Plates

• Thread starter pioSko
  • 62 comments
Poland
Poland
Hi All,
I've been working on this site for people to create their own custom plates to upload to Gt Sport.

http://gtsportplates.com

I'm at a stage where sometimes I may need help from you, the people that might actually use it.

Country Templates
Creating a template is rather easy. I've made automated scripts that do the job for me. However, research takes time. Some countries are really easy to research as all the info is easy to find. The base for the plates I draw myself and takes me about 15 minutes. The biggest problem are characters... or rather finding out at least what font is used. If I know which font is used and am able to find it, then creating the characters takes 5 to 10 minutes.
However, if I don't find what font is used then I'm forced to draw each character by hand :/

I'l be adding more and more templates. How fast and which ones depends on the research... and hopefully YOU :)

If you'd like to help to add your country more quickly, then any of these will help...
  • send/post pics of the current plates,
  • find the name of the font ...
  • or find the font ;) lol
  • list any additional details (emblems, region codes, flags etc)

Known Issues
  • Due to restrictions, iOS users will find that clicking "Download" will open the SVG in a new tab. If you want this fixed please tell Apple how this bug is affecting you. https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102914 .
    I have tried a number of solutions but none have worked (even trying a direct upload to GT website). If you are a developer and have a suggestion, let me know. ...

20100625_licenseplates-2010new.nocrop.w670.h385.jpg

If you need any help regarding German license plates and how they work just hit me up :)

Just saw the stuff you already have, the hexagonal badge was actually used for emissions test until a few years ago but it was then merged with the safety test (tüv). The number in the center of those indicate a specific year that will show when the next test is due. It‘s month is show on the top so when your test is due in May the badge is rotated so that the 5 is on top. They have a specific color for every year, iirc there are 6 different colors that just rotate through the years.

Love the idea OP, I second the motion of any chance of UK plates without the EU nonsense on them? :sly: also classic plates would be cool, Black and Silver were used in the UK up until 1975 here's an example. I believe they are used front and back unlike how we now have white and yellow.

Inside-DVLA-blog-image-Vintage-car.jpg

Love the idea OP, I second the motion of any chance of UK plates without the EU nonsense on them? :sly: also classic plates would be cool, Black and Silver were used in the UK up until 1975 here's an example. I believe they are used front and back unlike how we now have white and yellow.

Inside-DVLA-blog-image-Vintage-car.jpg

Font was a bit different in those days too.. similar characters but wider and more rounded, that MG photo looks like a photoshop.

IMG_7891-529x395.jpg

Last edited:
Adding New Zealand would be awesome, It's normally real basic... normally just a white plate in the font "Fira Sans" and we only have 3 letters followed by 3 numbers unless you have a custom plate, with a max of 6 letters/numbers

euroblack-eur000.png

p_1_1057_1146.jpg

The funniest part is the MG photo is on an official government website :dunce: :lol: It can be found here.

Yeah, that's because although they'll let you use Black and Silver, they still have to use the current standard font if they're being made these days. I know people that have had custom "proper" old style plates made but they're not really legal.

Yeah, that's because although they'll let you use Black and Silver, they still have to use the current standard font if they're being made these days. I know people that have had custom "proper" old style plates made but they're not really legal.

That I didn't know, Then again I zero experience with old style plates :) But I have to say they would look good if OP can help us out with it.

That I didn't know, Then again I zero experience with old style plates :) But I have to say they would look good if OP can help us out with it.

Shouldn't be a problem if there is a font available... I'll search later on. The plate itself is... well.. trivial.. black rounded rectangle :/ lol

Yeah, tried. Not as simple because "Charles Wright 1935 Font" brings up a lot of fonts that are similar to the current "Mandatory" font. Which, what you're saying, is what the Gov is pushing even on the old plates.
The letters are quite similar, possibly the same. However, notice the round "8" and "6" on that Triumph.

Yeah, tried. Not as simple because "Charles Wright 1935 Font" brings up a lot of fonts that are similar to the current "Mandatory" font. Which, what you're saying, is what the Gov is pushing even on the old plates.
The letters are quite similar, possibly the same. However, notice the round "8" and "6" on that Triumph.

They are similar, Mandatory is basically a slightly narrower version and was sans serif I think. Prior to about 2000 the government wasn't as tight on things as they are now, so there was more tolerance on design back then - but most were based on Wright's original font. Back in those days you could get away with having all sorts of fonts, but it wasn't uncommon for the Police to want to speak to you about it.

Might wanna consider Italy's plates?

sigle-province.jpg

I and the european stars are pretty self explanatory, the yellow circle with number inside is the year of registration of the vehicle, while the two letters below it indicate the province of first registration (in the example plates, MN stands for the province of Mantova).
The little symbol (between 249 and PL in the squared plate, and between DW and 977 in the classic ones) is the seal of the Republic of Italy. There is a squared plate: that is for special vehicles with a squared plateholder, such as old Fiat 500s, some offroaders (Hyundai Galloper and Land Rover Discovery come to mind), and some other cars (Daihatsu Copen for example); those plates don't follow the classic progression, but all start with Z (currently we are at ZB).

The font seems to be a slight modification of DIN 1451 http://www.leewardpro.com/articles/licplatefonts/font-numberplate-italy.html

Might wanna consider Italy's plates?

The font seems to be a slight modification of DIN 1451 http://www.leewardpro.com/articles/licplatefonts/font-numberplate-italy.html

I'm just abut to start on Italy ;) A friend found a replica font a couple of days ago. Should be up tonight.. The details (regions, year of reg etc) will be the most time consuming as I need to create separate "Accents" that people can use over the top of the plate.. this is mostly a KB saving decision.

Just wondering though whether I should make a "template" for the accents themselves.. they are just alphanumerics afterall... ppl could then make their own (o9) or MN .. right? What do you think?

I'm just abut to start on Italy ;) A friend found a replica font a couple of days ago. Should be up tonight.. The details (regions, year of reg etc) will be the most time consuming as I need to create separate "Accents" that people can use over the top of the plate.. this is mostly a KB saving decision.

Just wondering though whether I should make a "template" for the accents themselves.. they are just alphanumerics afterall... ppl could then make their own (o9) or MN .. right? What do you think?
Many cars run without both of them (no province and an empty yellow circle), so that could also be a quicker and kb-saving solution. Those two informations aren't mandatory on a plate anyways. Though making them customizable would be awesome indeed :D

Adding New Zealand would be awesome, It's normally real basic... normally just a white plate in the font "Fira Sans" and we only have 3 letters followed by 3 numbers unless you have a custom plate, with a max of 6 letters/numbers

New Zealand Ready!

Current Norwegian plates.

600px-Hvitt%2C_standard_skilt.jpg

Font is a slimmed down and slightly altered version of Myriad Pro Semibold.

Edit: for more variety; there’s also green plates for vans/cars used for work etc with two seats, and then there’s blue with yellow letters for the embassy cars, and black with white letters for rally cars. Same font. If you want to make those too I’ll add an image for those. There’s more on this image, like export plates, army plates, MC plates etc. Just ask!

BF8CE61B-0EF4-4B55-940A-0CEAC7784C58.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help!
Italian plates are now ready. I took some extra time and created a "Details" template for the Italian ones. Mostly because I can use the same/similar algorithm to create any other 2 line plates... or other weird stuff if needed.
I'll be adding more templates a little faster now!!

Italian Details:
italian-details.jpg

I would like to have a few of these if you plan on sharing any if them once they are done.

Not sure what you mean. You can generate them yourself and download That's the whole point :)

Yeah I have no idea how to do the download your own decals thing and transfer them to the game. Just thought if you were sharing some I would be interested. It's no big deal though.

Back