GT Sport Undocumented Changes Thread (Update 1.53/1.55)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 100 comments
Torque and Force Feedback have no effect on the controller as those are wheel specific settings.

There was a physics update earlier this year that improved road cars.
The torque settings actually do make a difference on the controller. When I was doing the Lewis Hamilton challenge, I did notice an improvement in controller response and feedback when I changed it.

The ability to load saved ghost replay data seems to have been removed from VR time trials mode. Not sure if this is an undocumented change or a glitch, checking to confirm if other VR players notice the missing "load replay" option missing from the replay tab in VR time trials mode..

There was a demand for it, but I don't know why they didn't make it an option instead of forcing it.
It’s just completely dumb. it’s there in real life, It should be there in the game. it’s not a problem as you don’t really spend that much time looking straight ahead. And if you don’t like it use bumper cam! Granted you there is a blind spot but a car or hazard has to be far away to be completely obscured.

It’s just completely dumb. it’s there in real life, It should be there in the game. it’s not a problem as you don’t really spend that much time looking straight ahead. And if you don’t like it use bumper cam! Granted you there is a blind spot but a car or hazard has to be far away to be completely obscured.
It's not completely dumb. It was a fair thing to do since you literally can't see the road ahead of you. The problem is that you can't turn it on or off if you want. The pillar just cuts off mid-air. It's stupid.

It's already mentioned, but it was introduced on an feedback from Lewis Hamilton.

HALO actually doesn't interrupt your vision when you're seeing far away, thanks to the parallax of your both eyes.
So no HALO in your vision is more realistic.

It's a treatment only for displays.
In VR, which eyes parallax exists, HALO is fully visible.
I can confirm that the transparency is not present when driving the SF19 in VR. The Halo doesn't hinder anything at all in VR anyway, it's easy to see around it. So I kinda expected as much. :D

Last edited:
The ability to load saved ghost replay data seems to have been removed from VR time trials mode. Not sure if this is an undocumented change or a glitch, checking to confirm if other VR players notice the missing "load replay" option missing from the replay tab in VR time trials mode..

Will wait on your confirmation then.

HALO actually doesn't interrupt your vision when you're seeing far away, thanks to the parallax of your both eyes.
So no HALO in your vision is more realistic.
Actually, its more accurate to say semi-transparent, rather than "no halo", which is exactly why its semi-transparent in the game.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to hold your hand, side-ways on, about 1-2ft in front of your face and stare at something in the distance directly behind your hand; your hand appears to be semi-transparent.

Actually, its more accurate to say semi-transparent, rather than "no halo", which is exactly why its semi-transparent in the game.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to hold your hand, side-ways on, about 1-2ft in front of your face and stare at something in the distance directly behind your hand; your hand appears to be semi-transparent.
Yep, IRL your brain would kind of filter out the central post as you can see either side of it with each eye. Which is exactly why you cant see your nose unless you concentrate on it, it’s on your field of vision constantly.
But what they have done here is ugly, I wound have preferred an option to do this. I really never found it a problem as you don’t spend your race looking straight ahead 100% of the time, entering corners you should be looking to apex. It does obscure distant cars but it’s not a problem when they are closer.

Last edited:

Right.
I meant semi-transparent, but chose a wrong word...
Anyway, it's reasonable for displays.

But what they have done here is ugly, I wound have preferred an option to do this. It really never found it a problem as you don’t spend your race looking straight ahead 100% of the time, entering corners you should be looking to apex. It does obscure distant cars but it’s not a problem when they are closer.
It may be ugly, but its more true-to-life than a great big stonking bar completely obscuring your vision straight ahead of you, where it can be just as advantageous to be able to glimpse what the car in front of the car in front is doing and be able to plan moves accordingly.

Part of its perceived ugliness may be down to the fact that some screen space effects (like anti-aliasing) aren't processed correctly for things that are behind the halo support since, according to the z-buffer (which is used to calculate screen space effects), there is still actually a solid object there. I could go into minute detail on a technical level about this (I work with 3D) but, needless to say, there are quite big processing overheads when it comes to transparency and generating an accurate z-buffer. You can see the same problems during replays; When a background, that is supposed to be motion blurred, is viewed through a cars windows it appears in its un-blurred state because, according to the z-buffer, there is a completely solid object between the viewer and the background.

Z-buffers can (obviously) factor in transparency of an object but, given the processing requirement, its probably asking a little too much of the PS4 to do it in real-time. We can see this in Scapes pictures; when setting up a shot with a nice bokeh effect, the background as seen through a cars windows, is not blurred since its rendering the car in real-time. However, when you actually take (render) the picture the blurriness of the background, as seen through glass, is taken into consideration because the PS4 can take as much time as it needs to render and a more accurate z-buffer can be calculated. (As an aside there was a bug in the early days of GTSport that, similar to real-time rendering, ignored transparency and would render backgrounds as viewed through windows un-blurred. Thats since been fixed and you get nice blurred backgrounds through glass).

It's not completely dumb. It was a fair thing to do since you literally can't see the road ahead of you. The problem is that you can't turn it on or off if you want. The pillar just cuts off mid-air. It's stupid.

I disagree I could see easy with it I going to miss it.
The only car that gives me view problems so far is that Citroen. I have to use bonnet view.

I feel all FIA pro should be forced to use cockpit view .

Last edited:
@-kj- is correct. There's no longer an option to load ghost or save best lap replay in VR time trial.

Thank you for confirming, the save best replay lap option is still there once you complete at least one lap of the session. It's the "Load Ghost" option that is the only thing missing with some of the ghost replay options ghosted out in the "Ghost Settings" tab. Starting to think that this was an intentional removal..

if so, it might be because of performance issues with the standard PS4, possibly? And because of the no Pro only features rule, the option was taken away completely. I don't know, I hope they bring it back next update..

Everyone has their own preference that works for them. I use roof/hood view and am consistently a full second slower using cockpit view most of the time. That can be a significant difference from being competitive and not competitive.
Same as you i've gotten a lot faster over the past year using the hood/roof view over the cockpit view.

I prefer cockpit view, but some tracks and even plain racing, can be better with hood view. With HUD On, player position/names block the rearview mirror. Especially with RHD cars.

Classic cars have to be driven in cockpit view. Such a waste not to see all the jewelry of the dials, if any other view is used. :)

Found two things that are new to me, apologies if these are from previous updates.

1. The "wheel of misfortune" when receiving a Daily Workout prize car no longer slows down towards the end of the spinning animation. It used to gradually lose momentum before coming to a stop, but now it stays the same speed as when it first appears on screen. Whenever this was introduced it's certainly a welcome change! :lol:

2. When adding a livery to your collection, it used to say something simple, pretty sure it was "Added to My Library." and that was it. I have a feeling this may be an old change, but now it says "Added to [My Library] > [Car Livery] > [Collection]." I would assume this change will also apply to any similar system messages regarding saving content.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Back