GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
Night races were the coolest, in fact they still are in my opinion. When I started GT1 back in oh, about 1999 or 2000 (late I know, that was when I heard about it), I absolutely hated SSRR11, now it's my "Showdown" stage. :sly:.

Nice, another SSR11 fan :D. Just like you, I absolutely despised SSR11 in my early GT1 days. Matter of fact, I don't remember when I started liking it :lol:. Anyway, long story short, I forced myself to drive countless laps on it in order to improve my skills. I was having trouble passing the I-A license back then, and I figured the only way to improve would be to race the hardest track in the game again and again. So I did, and I began to destroy the AI left right and center on that track. After that everything is just history...

I have always said that if the NSX handled as badly in real-life as it does in GT1, Honda/Acura would have had a slew of NSX-based lawsuits to contend with. :lol:

Actually, the NSX is quite notorious for tricky handling in real life as well. I remember reading an article somewhere that says early NSXs are prone to lift-off oversteer and oversteer at high speeds. Hence when the 2nd generation (NA2) NSXs come along Honda purposely made the suspension setup understeer by default. Personally, I think NSXs handle beautifully. A bit tricky on the limit, but all good handling cars are (TVRs and Elises anyone?). Think of it as the antichrist to the Nissan GT-R.

Actually, the NSX is quite notorious for tricky handling in real life as well. I remember reading an article somewhere that says early NSXs are prone to lift-off oversteer and oversteer at high speeds. Hence when the 2nd generation (NA2) NSXs come along Honda purposely made the suspension setup understeer by default. Personally, I think NSXs handle beautifully. A bit tricky on the limit, but all good handling cars are (TVRs and Elises anyone?). Think of it as the antichrist to the Nissan GT-R.

Tricky doesn't = disastrous, though.

Seriously, if the NSX handled as badly as it does in GT1, they would have had to recall them massively. I would like to see what you're talking about tho. Perhaps the earliest generation was trickier than the later ones.

Last edited:
Tricky doesn't = disasterous, though.

I agree, but tricky handling does increase the chances of having a disaster when you're pushing the car 10/10ths.

Seriously, if the NSX handled as badly as it does in GT1, they would have had to recall them massively. I would like to see what you're talking about tho. Perhaps the earliest generation was trickier than the later ones.

Well, of course in real life it's not as bad as in GT1. If it does Honda would get sued like you said :lol:. I agree that PD had exaggerated the NSX's oversteer characteristics, and in later games it is much more realistic, but the impression you get from GT1's NSX is that it's not an easy car to drive. And this applies to real life as well.

About the suspension tuning bit, I read it in wikipedia. I'm aware that wikipedia isn't always correct, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt this time.

Turning to the suspension, it was well known by 1992 that the NSX, due to its mid-engine layout and rear-end link travel, was susceptible to a sudden oversteer condition during certain cornering maneuvers. While this condition rarely occurred during spirited street driving, it was much more prevalent on race tracks where speeds were much higher. To address the problem and improve the NSX-R's cornering stability at the limit, Honda replaced the entire suspension with completely new springs and dampers.

The stock NSX has a rear bias in its spring rates, where the rear springs are stiffer than the front. On hard deceleration upon corner entry, the softer front springs allow weight transfer to the front wheels, increasing front grip and thus improving steering response. However, the weight transfer also takes weight off of the rear wheels, causing them to lose grip. The net result is a tendency toward oversteer, as the rear wheels are more likely to break traction and cause a fishtail ([drift) or spin. For the NSX-R, Honda reversed the spring bias, placing stiffer springs on the front suspension. This had the effect of preventing weight transfer to the front suspension under hard braking. This way, the rear tires would remain firmly set when entering the corner. Of course, by keeping weight off of the front wheels, front grip was reduced and the change therefore had the negative effect of increasing the understeer tendency of the car. This change required better driver skill to manage. Overall, the NSX-R uses much stiffer springs than the stock NSX (F 3.0 kg/mm -- R 4.0 kg/mm for the NSX versus F 8.0 kg/mm -- R 5.7 kg/mm for the NSX-R).

And some videos to show the 'trickiness' of early NSXs.

NSX bit starts from 0:50, but the other bits are good as well (especially the last GT-R save).

Sorry for being extremely off-topic lol.

Yea, but even when driven somewhat mildly (2/10) in the first GT, the NSX is like a wild horse. :) Very rambunctious from the get-go.

Those vids you posted aren't showing up...can you post links instead?

EDIT; never mind...opened this page up with Firefox...now I can see the vids. :) Entertaining stuff. 👍

Last edited:
A problem with most driving games, including the [size=+1]GT[/size] series, is that you have trouble driving at less than what would be real-life 8/10ths even if you want to. And, in general, the racing situation means you don't want to.

I bought it and played ONLY in arcade mode, at High Speed Ring with the Corvette Stingray... I didn't know how to change the cars colors :P
Then after a long time I decided to play simulation mode... I did some licenses, but I couldn't advance on the game, I was like 6-7 years old... I didn't know what to do hahaha now I have a GTO LM, a Cercera LM and a few great cars.

Yea, but even when driven somewhat mildly (2/10) in the first GT, the NSX is like a wild horse. :) Very rambunctious from the get-go.

Maybe. I never drove under 90% of my outright speed in any race :lol:.

A problem with most driving games, including the [size=+1]GT[/size] series, is that you have trouble driving at less than what would be real-life 8/10ths even if you want to. And, in general, the racing situation means you don't want to.

So true lol.

Do you remember Spot Races?

Did you enjoy doing little short races at a single track for not much money?

Over and over and over again? (Until you finally managed to get some licences).

If so, then I've got the game for you!
[size=+1]GT[/size]PSP! :)
(There are no licenses now; just Challenges).

Actually, at least in [size=+1]GT1[/size] you could buy parts and upgrade your car.

Or sell it and try another one.

Nothing like that in [size=+1]GT[/size]PSP. :(

I've not even heard of any prize cars! The joy I felt when that Demio first appeared in my garage! :)

Yes.

Hell yea. 👍 Money wasn't so important to me, it is still secondary to the rush of the race itself, matter of fact

...I remember just sitting there doing race after race in a variety of cars. I have a fond memory of beating an NSX in a spot race at Trial Mountain...in my Honda Accord Wagon. :D

If so, then I've got the game for you!
[size=+1]GT[/size]PSP! :)
(There are no licenses now; just Challenges).

Actually, at least in [size=+1]GT1[/size] you could buy parts and upgrade your car.

Or sell it and try another one.

Nothing like that in [size=+1]GT[/size]PSP. :(

I've not even heard of any prize cars! The joy I felt when that Demio first appeared in my garage! :)

I personally won't be buying GTpsp. Not that I think it's a bad game, but I'm so used to my full-size TV for racing. :indiff: I also need to have a sim mode. I don't really play Arcade mode in GT that much, and I hear PSP is more of an arcade game.

Last edited:

Spot Races used to be the only races I do because I can't win any of the other races lol. My toughest rival was definitely the '67 Stingray at Trial Mt. The low payout and lack of prize cars never bugged me back then. It would be unthinkable for me now to waste such a large amount of time for so little reward.

I loaded my copy of GT1 up this afternoon and had an absolute ball playing it. It comes as a bit of a shock how 'small' the game is compared to later incarnations of the GT series. But it was still fun to drive. I had a fang in the GTO Race version, Dodge Viper road car, R32 GT-R roadcar, R33 GT-R roadcar and Lancer Evo IV roadcar.

The tendency for all cars to snap oversteer under braking in anything except a dead staright line is horrendous but just adds to the general sharpening of reflexes one needs. I'll load it back up again and give the Cerbera LM a fang. But gee, what a game.

It would probably still rank as my favourite of the GT franchise (despite being overtaken in every area since) but the feeling it gives me every time I load it up can't be matched by any other GT release.

I had a look at the stats on my saved game (from when I started racing it back in early 1998 and still going strong) and I am over 2800 days and have accumulated over 25 million credits. :eek: I remember I could load the game up with the TV off and still know which buttons to press in which order to get myself into the race screen. I was infatuated with this game and I am so relieved to find that when I load it back up again I am not disappointed with the passing of time. There's nothing worse than revisiting something from your younger years only to find that the passing of the years have been unkind. Not with GT1. I still love it. :)

GT1 does require better reflexes than later games, which I find pretty ironic. Driving in later GTs feels like going out on a Sunday drive. Everything feels so smooth and uneventful.

I was infatuated with this game and I am so relieved to find that when I load it back up again I am not disappointed with the passing of time. There's nothing worse than revisiting something from your younger years only to find that the passing of the years have been unkind. Not with GT1. I still love it. :)

That is so true. I am revisiting a lot of my old PSX games, and boy oh boy they look absolutely awful. Not with GT, it still looks stunning after all these years.

GT1 does require better reflexes than later games, which I find pretty ironic. Driving in later GTs feels like going out on a Sunday drive. Everything feels so smooth and uneventful.

That is so true. I am revisiting a lot of my old PSX games, and boy oh boy they look absolutely awful. Not with GT, it still looks stunning after all these years.

Loaded up Colin McRae Rally (the first one) and the graphics are pretty pixelly but gameplay is as I remember it. Another PSOne classic alongside GT1. Ahh, the memories......

One of the things I remember back in the days the game was brand new was the black Castrol Supra GT you'd win after completing the Grand Valley endurance race. Yesterday I completed the race, had an awesome time with my '95 racing modified Supra and I got that same black Supra GT. Absolutely phenomenal handling 👍

Hey,
The GT games are the rocking video games ever, I think. That's fantastic you never played the other game because GT1 and GT2 was so funny..

Thanks.

Back