GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
I gotta say thanks to Paulie for posting those two songs đź‘Ť. I used to play GT1 so just I could listen to them but for the last few years I turned the music off so I could drive better and...well...I forgot about their existence. Until your post that is. When I clicked the play button nostalgia came flooding back like a burst dam. Ah....the awesome memories...

Memories of this game...

Getting the Cerbera LM to under a minute round Deep Forest...

And ragging the Subaru round SS11 using the walls like railway tracks!!

C.

Being able to smoke NSXs and Vipers with a fully-tuned Demio A-spec. :D

YESSSS!!!! MY MAN!!! High 5!!! :cheers:

In my case, I used an Accord Wagon instead of a Demio, but the results were the same! Pissed-off, arrogant sports cars being smoked by my mommywagon! :cheers:

ah memories indeed. I remember playing the demo jamming the NSX around High Speed Ring getting stuck in those never-ending spinouts. Then promptly begging my dad to PLEASE buy the game come on!!!!! Then one day I asked him again when are we getting GT?!? He looks at me and says, "you wanna race?" he had already bought it and was hiding it from me cause he was hiding out playing it. Oh man i did wanna race lol. It was shortly after that that i learned that HP isnt everything in a car and learned what real driving was. I was 10 years old when all of this happened(11 years ago...)

Most of what I know about cars came from Gran Turismo. It was because of Gran Turismo that I learned how Japanese Imports can smoke muscle cars. I just took off from there really, couldnt wait to get GT2, then GT3, then GT4... now up to GT5:P and when I look back on how bad of a driver I was on GT1.. its amazing to think how my skills have improved over the years. Thanks PD!!!!

I remember getting the game and showing it to my friend...and I said the into was so great - and he watches it and goes "yeah, it's great" when the track scenery has passed, and the flags and the gt : the real driving simulator is shown...and then you see the coolest part of the intro ofcourse :D

My first car in gt was a honda prelude, the 92 model
The second car was a dodge viper, blue with white stripes (i saved up)

And then when it came down in the real world i'd have to buy my first real car, I wanted to buy a Mitsubishi FTO, but they couldn't be had in belgium, a Toyota MR2 was too expensive, so I ended up buying a Honda CR-X Del-Sol Vtec - a black one, i still have the same car digitally in various gt games :D

Right now I drive a Honda Accord Vtec though, and I haven't seen the "right" version of my car in any gt game up to date..the european accord version is never my version

I have a rather odd memory of GT1, it was my first game for the PS1, my dad bought it for me.
I remember me and my brother use to try to replicate the racing line the computer followed at high speed rink as you came off the banking and down that straight, at the end of that straight when viewing from the replay, there would be a static camera at the end of the corner that would just catch the front right wheel as the cars turned into the next bend. Rather odd I know, but it's a vivid memory of GT1 to me haha.

I have a rather odd memory of GT1, it was my first game for the PS1, my dad bought it for me.
I remember me and my brother use to try to replicate the racing line the computer followed at high speed rink as you came off the banking and down that straight, at the end of that straight when viewing from the replay, there would be a static camera at the end of the corner that would just catch the front right wheel as the cars turned into the next bend. Rather odd I know, but it's a vivid memory of GT1 to me haha.

YES!!!! I did the same. It was all about knowing where the replay cameras were to make the most realistic replays! As silly as it sounds, I loved the GT1 replays so much I even recorded some of my better ones on to VHS...... That I still have......

For one Christmas, I got Test Drive 4. My dad and I played it a bunch. Next, we got Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit.

One day, I saw this commercial with a blue and white striped car taking a huge jump. It was the GT1 commercial :) The commercial wasn't on much so I had a hard time showing my dad the game, since I forgot the name. When we finally realized it was called Gran Turismo, we went out and bought it. I of course later realized the blue and white striped car was a Viper. I also memorized tons of other cool cars.

I watched the GT1 commercial just now for a little nostalgia. It's funny, right now people on this forum are complaining about Forza's marketing, but that original commercial was really full of itself!

By the way:
Memories of this game...

Getting the Cerbera LM to under a minute round Deep Forest...

And ragging the Subaru round SS11 using the walls like railway tracks!!

C.
The Cerbera LM was such a kick ass car! For a naturally aspirated, it had tons of power. Although I doubt I ever got a good time like that. I was 10 and we didn't get an analog controller until later.

I was 9/10 years old and my dad got me GT for the PS1. Most amazing racing game I've ever played :D Had a great time playing two player and racing with my dad too.

I remember he got a game save with NSX LM, Castrol Supra, and the GTO LM Edition. It was so awesome... I loved those cars. I also loved the Subaru Rally LM.

So many good memories with that game.. I also liked the fact there was a good sense of speed in GT1.

I was 9/10 years old and my dad got me GT for the PS1. Most amazing racing game I've ever played :D Had a great time playing two player and racing with my dad too.

I remember he got a game save with NSX LM, Castrol Supra, and the GTO LM Edition. It was so awesome... I loved those cars. I also loved the Subaru Rally LM.

So many good memories with that game.. I also liked the fact there was a good sense of speed in GT1.

I was about 5 when i first played GT1.

I think I must have been close to 18 when a friend got Pong for Christmas.

And then there's my [size=+1]GT0[/size]. Various Aurora, Tyco and A/FX HO slot car stuff.

And I think I drove one of those sensor drum driving games when we visited the UK in about 1968 . . .

I've seen a game very similar to that on the web somewhere, but can't actually find it in...
http://marvin3m.com/arcade/

Hmm... This one's pretty close.
http://marvin3m.com/arcade/roadrac.htm

Last edited:
has to be when i first got the HKS hdrag R33.. such a legendary car and seeing how fast it was just awsome!! i remember thinking my god the speedo is like a rev counter!

I think I must have been close to 18 when a friend got Pong for Christmas.

And then there's my [size=+1]GT0[/size]. Various Aurora, Tyco and A/FX HO slot car stuff.

And I think I drove one of those sensor drum driving games when we visited the UK in about 1968 . . .

I've seen a game very similar to that on the web somewhere, but can't actually find it in...
http://marvin3m.com/arcade/

Hmm... This one's pretty close.
http://marvin3m.com/arcade/roadrac.htm

Whatever happened to arcades, man? Pinball games and such...:( You occasionally see an old mechanical or arcade video game in a bar, or at Ocean City.

has to be when i first got the HKS hdrag R33.. such a legendary car and seeing how fast it was just awsome!! i remember thinking my god the speedo is like a rev counter!

The HKS isn't found in GT1, it's in GT2.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to arcades, man? pinball games and such...:( You occasionally see an old mechanical or arcade video game in a bar, or at Ocean City.

the HKS isn't found in GT1, it's in GT2.

bugger i got my GT's mixed up.. was still an awsome moment though đź‘Ť

My favorite GT1 memory was slamming into turn 2 on the high speed ring, landing on top of another car, bouncing 200 feet into the air above the banners, and somehow landing in first place.

My next fav was racing 2 player on trial mountain. On the last lap I was ahead of my brother's friend, Sal, so he cut through the grass, rammed me into the pits and won the race. To this day I still call cheating by cutting through the grass, "Pulling a Sal."

Does anyone remember taking sharp turns on Autum Ring in a civic hatchback and lifting on two wheels?

My favorite GT1 memory was slamming into turn 2 on the high speed ring, landing on top of another car, bouncing 200 feet into the air above the banners, and somehow landing in first place.

My next fav was racing 2 player on trial mountain. On the last lap I was ahead of my brother's friend, Sal, so he cut through the grass, rammed me into the pits and won the race. To this day I still call cheating by cutting through the grass, "Pulling a Sal."

You are breaking the second commandment of good racing: Thou Shalt not Cheat
Does anyone remember taking sharp turns on Autum Ring in a civic hatchback and lifting on two wheels?

OH yea. The Mazda Miata could do it too...one of the many things I wish we could do in later GT games. :banghead:

My fondest GT memory involves winning the Grand Valley 300K with my dad...In a Race-Modded TVR Cerbera that only had something like 430 HP! (Imagine taking the lead of the race through out-driving the AI in the twisty sections, only for them to blow past/RAM INTO YOU (!?!) on the main straightaway. Multiply that by the length of the race...And i think you'll get the idea!)

My fondest GT memory involves winning the Grand Valley 300K with my dad...In a Race-Modded TVR Cerbera that only had something like 430 HP! (Imagine taking the lead of the race through out-driving the AI in the twisty sections, only for them to blow past/RAM INTO YOU (!?!) on the main straightaway. Multiply that by the length of the race...And i think you'll get the idea!)

If you came second.. it would be very hard to try again lol, Apart from watching that incredible intro every time I started that game, my most fond memory is winning my first race on GT1, I was only 4 years old when it started!

The best memory was that it was the beginning of the series. Shall never forget that.

There's no question, the game is 100% solid gold. I've had a fang recently and the memories come flooding back. The sound of the menus, the excitement of the bonus 60 fps mode, the gearchanges that make all the cars sound like they have auto gearboxes, the undriveability of the NSX, the bounciness of the R33 GT-R LM, the diabolical Special Stage R11...... What a magnificent game. Loading it up and playing it gave me a tingle up my spine that no version of GT since that first one has ever given me. I think that is both wonderful, but also sad.

There's no question, the game is 100% solid gold. I've had a fang recently and the memories come flooding back. The sound of the menus, the excitement of the bonus 60 fps mode, the gearchanges that make all the cars sound like they have auto gearboxes, the undriveability of the NSX, the bounciness of the R33 GT-R LM, the diabolical Special Stage R11...... What a magnificent game. Loading it up and playing it gave me a tingle up my spine that no version of GT since that first one has ever given me. I think that is both wonderful, but also sad.

QFT.

Recently I fired up GT1 on epsxe, expecting my eyes to bleed because of the bad graphics and the (now) arcadey physics to turn me off. But no. I got hooked for an hour just hot lapping the NSX-R LM around HSR. This game is still very fun despite its age. How many PS1 games can claim that title?

And speaking of memories, check out this guy's YT channel. It's got most of GT1's menu musics, including the ultra rare dealership tunes. Just listening to it gives me shivers!

http://www.youtube.com/user/bienvenidoz

Back