GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
Even since my disk died recently, all i have are memories of this great game left. :(

Some of the cars that i most fondly remember are the fully-tuned versions of the Toyota Supra RZ and the Nissan 300ZX 2by2. The Toyota since it is the fastest car in that game (to me, maxed out at 267mph) and the nissan since I actually blew a speaker while driving the car. (I dare you to turn them up loud, and make this car humm at 5500rpm. oh, you will know when you hit it, trust me)

my favorite memory was spending hours just working on my lap record at autumn ring mini in the r-32 skyline maxxed out (my least favorite involved an endurance race at special stage 11)

ha i still play. I got to get with the program eh. any way my best memory was trying to drive through SSR11 in a chaser with my BF u cant keep that car on all 4 wheels

and then there was the time when my friends and i actually gambled... you could say we put small amounts of money on the line... whoever won a race gets it all until another race takes place... it was like poker on wheels

Imo GT1 still is the most cool out the series, the menus+music & the hole ordeal of buying a car is so much better than in GT2+3 :)

I remember after playing it on my uncles PSX & seeing it in the local shop, I borrowed magazines off him & spent hours drooling over the screenshots thinking they were photo realistic (:lol: )

Then I finally bought a PSX but couldnt afford a memory card so everytime I turned the PSX on I had to redo my B license :banghead:

even without a memory card you could enjoy the arcade mode... and the best car i have driven is still the arcade mode's mitsubishi eclipse

True, but after a couple of weeks of arcade mode, I couldn't resist having a go @ GT mode even without a mem card :D

& yeah think I used the eclipse to win the arcade races too

yeah GT1 was so cool when it first came out..I took it over to my friends house and we raced so much..We first started out and got 300k in an hour or two :)

my friends used to say i was the first person in the group to push the eclipse to its full potential... it's just like takumi pushing any FR car to its full potential...

yeah... it even outclassed ridge racer on the ps1

the good thing about gt is you get to feel what it's like to drive cars with different layouts (fr, ff, mr, 4wd)...

Originally posted by Nidgi
I remember the days when GT1 first came out and i got together with a coupla mates where we'd crashed out in front of the tv for an all-night session with Plenty of alcohol and weed.
We used to race over 3 laps and while 2 of us were battling it out the other one was skinnin up!
Yep the loser was the one that skinned up..Our sessions always centered around GT as well as the classic Goldeneye on N64 an not forgettin the footie and fighting games!
Thats going back to 1997-98 Amazing how long ago it now seems, but we had some top times...

:lol: Sounds like when GT2 first came out to me :D

GT1 was cool though, don't remember that much from it oddly enough :odd:

i remember me & my buddy tryin to tweak the Supra for top speed, reading the dyno sheet & making minor changes in the gear ratios, flattening the spoiler, straightening the camber, lowering the front & raising the rear. & always wanting that 210+mph coming out of the corner; if you didn't hit 215 you would NEVER reach 250+mph.

& then later we did a race & saw how "drafting" was overdone & he had the GTO doing 300+mph...he hit the corner of course, but to see 300 was possible blew our minds.

Things I remember the most...

I knew this game was different because the Prelude actually had the place for the trunk key :embarrassed: that proved to me the PD was about the details. The car also sounded perfect, you could here the infamous Honda "tick tick" of their values - I had a Civic and a Prelude back then so I was very familiar with the sound.

Winning the Normal Race with the Eclipse GT against the dreaded Silver TRD3000GT Supra - that took some mad skills and a touch of luck ;)

Getting all gold in the license tests... especially that bastard B3 del Sol up the hill test and A7 thru the tunnels w/the Skyline nightmare.

Man... those were the days huh? :)

Winning the Tuned Turbo race with my 500HP WRX Wagon against the slug-like 900 HP GTO.

I remember discovering a certain message board where a certain member had written and organized a great FAQ. Oh, sorry. Actually that FAQ was for [size=+1]GT2[/size] :D

But that was about the time I progressed from newsgroups (rec.games.video.sony) to BBS's.

Actually BC's big bad FAQ for [size=+1]GT1[/size] is something of a memory too. (Yes I know he was someone else...) And dconnoy's complete car list for [size=+1]GT1[/size] was invaluable--I'm still using that data!

1 that comes to mind was finally getting all gold in the license tests, especially the viper at whichever night course it was. unfortunately, i lost my gt1 save a while ago.

I remember buying a Playstation just so I could play Gran Turismo about a month after it was first released - the only other game I ever bought for it was MGS - and having to take the next day off work because I was so addicted to it....
...that was the European PAL versionm and I never quite reached 100% before I left Britain and gave my Playstation away. I've just picked up an NTSC version, so I'm going to start from the beginning again soon.

Does the original Gran Turismo work on a PS2, or do I need to buy a used PS1?

All PS1 games are supported on the PS2.
My most precious GT1 memory would have to be getting up at 5 a.m on a Saturday morning just to race... what can I say? I was in love. :D

hahaha good old GT1. It introduced me to skylines and taught me ohh so much. every other racing game i played until GT2 came out was just uncomparable. Yeah my best memory is doing 1 of the cups( the b license 1) where u win the silvia at least 40 times to finally gat a million dollars. yeah i couldnt beat the a test with the skyline on trial mountain( and still hate that course because of that experience). Im only now starting to like it because of its beautiful drift lines. But yeah. Best cars = viper in red with everything modded, and the million dollar supra.

such good times. and to think i was only what likw 9 or 10.
hahaha good memories.

Back