GT2 Car Review Site

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 2' started by Matej, May 12, 2018.

1. Matej

Matej Premium

Gran Turismo 2 Car Reviews Site
    by Matej
    I decided to leave some of my GT2 reviews here, so have a read. I hope you find them entertaining. :)

Pack 1
    • Ford Ka
    • Toyota Altezza (various)
    • Daihatsu Opti Aerodown Beex

Pack 2
    • Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
    • Fiat 500 R '72 (VIDEO REVIEW!!)
    • Nissan Skyline GT-R33 (4-door vs Regular)
    • Mazda RX-7 GT-Turbo '83

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Matej

Matej Premium

Ka_green.png
    Car: Ford Ka
    Power: 59 HP
    Aspiration: NA
    Drivetrain: FF
    Weight: 1135 kg​

I am not sure what to think of the Ford's tinniest gunner. When I first heard of its existence, it looked rather queer, and that was four years after the car's debut on the market (1996). We're in year 2018 and the situation hasn't improved yet; I am still having trouble digesting its shape and stance. Wearisome power-to-weight value of 14.83 is not helping either.

Surely we must confess that the New Edge design isn't to everyone's taste, or that the 1.3 litre Kent engine resting down there stubbornly resists retirement it so dearly belongs to, but truth to be told, this little oddball does have a virtue or two worth appreciation.

The handling is terrific and steering responsive, just what you need from a car this small. I'm not going to say it drives better than any other small car in the game, but as far as the front-wheel range goes, it stacks up pretty well. The undercarriage of this enlarged go-kart can uphold more power than it was given to the car. Racing modifications will change the Ka's appearance and give it a nice set of aerodynamics to further back up awesome cornering.

Ka_Red.png
    Customers wanted coloured bumpers, which were later added. Good call.
    Although the engine is low on power, it packs a decent amount of torque aimed at low-range rpm zone. Once you fit in the most expensive turbocharger, the torque will gently curve around the entire rpm field, ensuring responsive launches at any given moment.

The car starts out at 15 grand. A bit pricey considering the engine's stock output, but not a single driver will get out of it disappointed. The Ka is a proof that good things do come in small packages.

Verdict:
    This is basically a go-kart

Lexus_Advan.png
    Car: Toyota Altezza (various)
    Power: --
    Aspiration: --
    Drivetrain: FR
    Weight: --

I can feel indifference radiating from bystanders watching Toyota Altezza, one of manufacturer's many mid-size saloons. And for a good reason, designers didn't do much to them to make them stand out. With the exception of the rear tail-lights, of course, these declared the benchmark for exterior cues of the future estates.

The game's generous offer starts with a 160 HP model. For its modest power, it is quite entertaining to drive. If you brake hard enough, you can toss the rear end around and initiate nice drifts. The engine sounds pretty good, and I have to tip my hat of to Polyphony for choosing Advan for a livery sponsor, nothing makes my day up like a good, classic painting. The only downside is the engine, it lacks juice for those long straights...

On the upper level we have a RS200 nozzle sprinkling 210 water pellets per minute. With a more powerful engine and tougher undercarriage it answers to prayers from spirited drivers and makes for a good track day car that is easy to drive fast. When I first got in though, I didn't think it was any faster than the IS200, could it be that I probably just wasn't paying any attention to the tachometer?

Toms_Altezza.png
    If power and looks what Altezza owners were dying for, the 280T granted their wishes

Of course, it would a crime to stop here and disregard what Tom's has done to the Altezza. From the way I see it, the 280T is the only Altezza you'll ever want, a cherry on a top of a crème cake. The same engine powering the RS200 now comes with a turbocharger and intercooler, enough for 276 horses. Tom's wasn't stingy on accessories, so it bestowed its craft with nice exterior additions and few other accessories we can't see, but only feel when we stretch the legs of this attractive tuner.

Mind you, while the final result is stimulating to drive, it is also a testimony of the Altezza's maximum potential. I feel Tom's pushed boundaries of the car's fundamentals to farthest point possible with the 280T, so going even slightly over that generosity will hit you back quite hard. This was the only Altezza model on which I experienced understeer or body roll after going a "bit too far".

And no, it cannot beat the Supra or substitute it. Easier to drive it is, but it lacks strength and refinement to meddle with the maker's flagship star.

Verdict:
    It drives great, regardless of the model

Opti_Main.png
    Car: Daihatsu Opti Aerodown Beex
    Power: 63 hp
    Aspiration: Turbo
    Drivetrain: 4WD
    Weight: 820 kg​

Ah, this one is interesting. The shape of its tiny body resembles size of an average compact car. It would be so hard to guess true dimensions of this car just by looking at the virtual replica in the game. Does it truly belong to a kei class?

Yes, it does. It is actually very much within 3400 mm in length the class prescribes. What makes the optical illusion possible is the family-car appearance, a 4-door configuration, and slightly bulkier appearance. Quite a trick they pulled, don't you think? I wish I had one that would wipe out that rear body fascia from the face of the earth. I'm sure I'm not alone with this thought, the Opti itself would be guilty of the same thing if only it could look itself in the mirror, trust me.

Opti_Modified.jpg
    Modified Opti as found in Sega GT for Dreamcast. Image by IGCD.

So it doesn't look perfect from all angles, but sure it drives well from many others. During first few laps with the car I couldn't notice anything unusual or worth complaining. The steering points the car just as fast as I would want, and the suspension is versatile enough to allow for dynamic driving. Its engine doesn't set any benchmarks in terms of power per displacement, but it surprises with surgically linear power output from 4800 all the way to 7000 rpm. Quite unusual feat for a turbocharged car.

The only problem is the car's weight. I reckoned it would be a bit heavier given it has a four-wheel drive system, but not this much. Some minivans from the same class are actually lighter than the Opti. I can't exactly explain why did the car gained so much weight. Maybe it's the compact car image the maker was trying to depict or maybe the car is ticker and better built, again, for the purpose of mimicking a bigger car. The extra weight looks like nothing but a nuisance, but heavier bodies do tend to profit in situations when tires are skinny and lots of cornering forces is being applied on them.

Opti_Drift.png

It is not a class-leading masterpiece, but it will breath down many kei necks thanks to its refinement. Once you fit in some extra power, you will feel that the gears are actually much tighter than you thought, by the time you hit 60 mph you'll be in 4th gear already. If this was meant to portray a rally car in a pocket size - as the game claims so - it sure inherits more from it than just visuals.

Such a shame the car doesn't support racing modifications. After seeing DRS modified Opti in Sega GT game, I can't help myself but to want one in GT2 as well.

Verdict:
    Rally-inspired toy, but with a controversial appearance

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Kingofweasles likes this.
  3. Matej

Matej Premium

500_Yellow.png
    Car: Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
    Power: 54 hp
    Aspiration: NA
    Drivetrain: FF
    Weight: 735 kg​

What happens when Italians get hold of a toy car? They enlarge it, and give it a nice set of attractive cues. Okay, the Cinquecento isn't exactly a jaw-dropping material as far as the looks goes, but it does have a charm that will never be matched. It also comes with a poor passenger protection rating, but thankfully, that is none of our concern in this game.

It would be foolhardy to mistake (pun intended) the Cinquecento for an average kei car. Tiny dimensions apart, they are full of dissimilarities. The most important one comes as a result of different standards used in European auto industry; the Cinquecento has no in-class restrictions on the size of the engine, so it comes with a large 1.1 litre naturally aspirated unit. No blowing devices, this is as classic as it could be. What would be a rather courageous application to Asian micro cars is a well-known standard here in Europe.

The 1.1 litre engine is known for being conceptually simple and easy to maintain, but it has one important drawback - it is low on power. If this was a standard Cinquecento, rolling with 54 hp would be acceptable, but knowing this is the Sporting model, people will naturally expect far more. And for a good reason, because Asian competitors have so much to offer in this class.

500_Modified.png
    These modifications pay tribute to the car's popularity in entry rally events

The ride is soft and too much pedestrian. When I first wrote few notes on its handling few months ago, I described it as "lazy" and "relaxed". The gearbox is also peculiar; I admire short alignment of gears, but that 1st gear is just way too short, I'm so close to calling it useless.

But still, it is hard to resist Italian charm the Cinquecento oozes on its owners. It's a car with flaws and imperfections that grows on you very quick. I like it, I really do, and would be willing to spend hours tuning it, trying to repair irreparable. I hate to say it, but very few kei cars could do such thing to me as the Cinquecento can.

Verdict:
    Sloppy, but attractive. Worthy your time.

BONUS: A VIDEO REVIEW OF ITS OLDER RELATIVE, THE 500 R FROM BLOODY 1972!!!

GTR_Autech.png
    Car: Nissan Skyline GT-R33 (4-door VS Regular)
    Power: --
    Drivetrain: 4WD
    Weight: --​

I compared a standard 1997 GT-R33 with its 4-door relative, a limited edition made to celebrate 40 years of Skyline existence.

At first glance, what you see is what you get; the 1997 4-door GT-R33 brings nothing more than another pair of doors for people who want to be good at tackling corners as much as in changing nappies or driving a pair of two. Keep digging though, and you will find that there is more to the 4-door model than meets the parent eye.

Even though they share the same suspension values, the 4-door model can achieve slightly higher cornering speeds. This is mostly noticeable on medium-speed sweepers, such as the infinite one on the Circle 80 track. It is also more stable during high-speed pursuit, and less prone to going sideways in amount it wasn't intended. Autech worked on this model so perhaps their aero parts have something to do with that. After all, default downforce values for the 4-door model are slightly higher (0.15 - 0.25 as oppose to 0.12 - 0.21 on the standard R33).

Although both models use the same engine, the one powering the regular R33 has more ponies and torque overall, though that could be a mistake on PD part. The biggest difference is that the engine on the 4-door model hits rev limiter at 6700 rpm already (exactly where its peak power point is), whereas that of the regular R33 can climb all the way up to 8000 rpm. In theory, if both cars have the same gearbox values (apparently they do), the regular R33 would have the advantage as its needle wouldn't land as far from the peak power value as the 4-door model's.

GTR33_red.png

The standard R33 won the 1000m test by half a second, though that could be due to the difference in torque and power mentioned earlier. It's hard to say.

While it is true that the 4-door model produces less power by default, it is also true that this is the only R33 model that can hit 700 hp when fully tuned. It beats the regular R33 by full 54 ponies! Not to shabby for an estate.

Then again, that won't make much difference on corners since the 4-door model is also the only R33 model that can't accept racing modifications and take advantage of the adjustable aerodynamics. Cool, huh? Someone from PD really played with these R33s...

If you need more pepper, search for the Nismo tuned 4-door model. Exactly, this one of a kind R33 is another model you can opt for. It borrows some of the distinctive visuals from the 400R beast, but without the famous power increase. Why is that, beats me, it is probably just another mistake made during post-development cleaning and polishing. The only major difference I noticed lies in the spring values: 4.0 - 5.0 compared to 3.0 - 3.0 on the standard 4-door results in somehow tighter cornering and sturdier feeling when vigorously aiming for apexes. The acceleration test didn't reveal anything else either; on average it hits the 1000 metre mark just as quick as the regular 4-door model. Racing modifications aren't included, obviously. Doh!

GTR33_Blue.png

Conclusion:
    What can I say, the game packs really impressive selection of the famous Skyline model. The 4-door model is interesting because it resembles a change, which is so much needed when dealing with these widely spread cars. I would say it drives better as well, so it kinda beats the regular R33 as far as my taste goes. The Nismo edition could have been a cherry on top of the cake, but with no rewarded power output of 380 hp, I feel it is incomplete, and would rather drive the standard one instead. To each his own, I guess.

RX7_Turbo.png
    Car: Mazda RX-7 GT-Turbo ‘83
    Power: 163 hp
    Drivetrain: FR
    Weight: 1020 kg​

This is a historic car that carved the significance of the famous RX nameplate for future generations to ride with it. It is the oldest scent of Rotary engineering you can smell in the game, with a bit of a chewed shoe tinge mixed in. Quite a way to ruin your meal.

All joking aside, the RX-7 is not a bad car, but it comes with flaws. You see, we know that for its time the RX-7 was praised for its perfect weight distribution and nimbleness. If I had driven the car in the game before reading about its roots, I would have never agreed on this so easily. For some reason the handling is set towards strong, persistent understeer, mostly interfering upon opening the throttle. For best results you have to make an effort to force those rear tires to skid somehow, going sideways doesn't seem to be the car's innate tendency.

I found the suspension to be a bit weak for the task, so at higher tuning level expect body roll if appropriate precaution is not taken. LSD should be a mandatory item as well. For what the car stands for it is worth having it in your garage, but forget about typical RX-7 feeling – this one will need lots of pampering to become a match for its younger relatives.

Verdict:
    Rare and unique, though handling should have been better

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Kingofweasles likes this.