• Thread starter Matej
  • 22 comments

Matej

Premium
Croatia
Zagreb
Gran Turismo 2 Car Reviews Site
by Matej
I decided to leave some of my GT2 reviews here, so have a read. I hope you find them entertaining. :)

Pack 1
  • Ford Ka
  • Toyota Altezza (various)
  • Daihatsu Opti Aerodown Beex

Pack 2
  • Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
  • Fiat 500 R '72 (VIDEO REVIEW!!)
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R33 (4-door vs Regular)
  • Mazda RX-7 GT-Turbo '83

Pack 3
  • Citroen Xsara 1.8i 16V Exclusive
  • Mercedes-Benz C 43 AMG
  • Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG

Pack 4
  • Mazda 323F Coupe Type-R '93
  • Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1 '97
  • Suzuki Cervo SR-FOUR '90

Pack 5
  • Daihatsu Sirion CX 2WD/AWD '98
  • Mazda 323 4-door Interplay '89
  • Fiat Seicento Sporting (VS others!)

Pack 6
  • Subaru Vivio RX-R
  • Jaguar XJ Sport 3.2
  • Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Pack 7
  • Shelby Cobra 427 '66
  • Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 Twin Spark

Other Reviews:

Last edited:
Ka_green.png
Car: Ford Ka
Power: 59 HP
Aspiration: NA
Drivetrain: FF
Weight: 1135 kg​

I am not sure what to think of the Ford's tinniest gunner. When I first heard of its existence, it looked rather queer, and that was four years after the car's debut on the market (1996). We're in year 2018 and the situation hasn't improved yet; I am still having trouble digesting its shape and stance. Wearisome power-to-weight value of 14.83 is not helping either.

Surely we must confess that the New Edge design isn't to everyone's taste, or that the 1.3 litre Kent engine resting down there stubbornly resists retirement it so dearly belongs to, but truth to be told, this little oddball does have a virtue or two worth appreciation.

The handling is terrific and steering responsive, just what you need from a car this small. I'm not going to say it drives better than any other small car in the game, but as far as the front-wheel range goes, it stacks up pretty well. The undercarriage of this enlarged go-kart can uphold more power than it was given to the car. Racing modifications will change the Ka's appearance and give it a nice set of aerodynamics to further back up awesome cornering.

Ka_Red.png
Customers wanted coloured bumpers, which were later added. Good call.
Although the engine is low on power, it packs a decent amount of torque aimed at low-range rpm zone. Once you fit in the most expensive turbocharger, the torque will gently curve around the entire rpm field, ensuring responsive launches at any given moment.

The car starts out at 15 grand. A bit pricey considering the engine's stock output, but not a single driver will get out of it disappointed. The Ka is a proof that good things do come in small packages.

Verdict:
This is basically a go-kart

Lexus_Advan.png
Car: Toyota Altezza (various)
Power: --
Aspiration: --
Drivetrain: FR
Weight: --

I can feel indifference radiating from bystanders watching Toyota Altezza, one of manufacturer's many mid-size saloons. And for a good reason, designers didn't do much to them to make them stand out. With the exception of the rear tail-lights, of course, these declared the benchmark for exterior cues of the future estates.

The game's generous offer starts with a 160 HP model. For its modest power, it is quite entertaining to drive. If you brake hard enough, you can toss the rear end around and initiate nice drifts. The engine sounds pretty good, and I have to tip my hat of to Polyphony for choosing Advan for a livery sponsor, nothing makes my day up like a good, classic painting. The only downside is the engine, it lacks juice for those long straights...

On the upper level we have a RS200 nozzle sprinkling 210 water pellets per minute. With a more powerful engine and tougher undercarriage it answers to prayers from spirited drivers and makes for a good track day car that is easy to drive fast. When I first got in though, I didn't think it was any faster than the IS200, could it be that I probably just wasn't paying any attention to the tachometer?

Toms_Altezza.png
If power and looks what Altezza owners were dying for, the 280T granted their wishes

Of course, it would a crime to stop here and disregard what Tom's has done to the Altezza. From the way I see it, the 280T is the only Altezza you'll ever want, a cherry on a top of a crème cake. The same engine powering the RS200 now comes with a turbocharger and intercooler, enough for 276 horses. Tom's wasn't stingy on accessories, so it bestowed its craft with nice exterior additions and few other accessories we can't see, but only feel when we stretch the legs of this attractive tuner.

Mind you, while the final result is stimulating to drive, it is also a testimony of the Altezza's maximum potential. I feel Tom's pushed boundaries of the car's fundamentals to farthest point possible with the 280T, so going even slightly over that generosity will hit you back quite hard. This was the only Altezza model on which I experienced understeer or body roll after going a "bit too far".

And no, it cannot beat the Supra or substitute it. Easier to drive it is, but it lacks strength and refinement to meddle with the maker's flagship star.

Verdict:
It drives great, regardless of the model

Opti_Main.png
Car: Daihatsu Opti Aerodown Beex
Power: 63 hp
Aspiration: Turbo
Drivetrain: 4WD
Weight: 820 kg​

Ah, this one is interesting. The shape of its tiny body resembles size of an average compact car. It would be so hard to guess true dimensions of this car just by looking at the virtual replica in the game. Does it truly belong to a kei class?

Yes, it does. It is actually very much within 3400 mm in length the class prescribes. What makes the optical illusion possible is the family-car appearance, a 4-door configuration, and slightly bulkier appearance. Quite a trick they pulled, don't you think? I wish I had one that would wipe out that rear body fascia from the face of the earth. I'm sure I'm not alone with this thought, the Opti itself would be guilty of the same thing if only it could look itself in the mirror, trust me.

Opti_Modified.jpg

Modified Opti as found in Sega GT for Dreamcast. Image by IGCD.

So it doesn't look perfect from all angles, but sure it drives well from many others. During first few laps with the car I couldn't notice anything unusual or worth complaining. The steering points the car just as fast as I would want, and the suspension is versatile enough to allow for dynamic driving. Its engine doesn't set any benchmarks in terms of power per displacement, but it surprises with surgically linear power output from 4800 all the way to 7000 rpm. Quite unusual feat for a turbocharged car.

The only problem is the car's weight. I reckoned it would be a bit heavier given it has a four-wheel drive system, but not this much. Some minivans from the same class are actually lighter than the Opti. I can't exactly explain why did the car gained so much weight. Maybe it's the compact car image the maker was trying to depict or maybe the car is ticker and better built, again, for the purpose of mimicking a bigger car. The extra weight looks like nothing but a nuisance, but heavier bodies do tend to profit in situations when tires are skinny and lots of cornering forces is being applied on them.

Opti_Drift.png

It is not a class-leading masterpiece, but it will breath down many kei necks thanks to its refinement. Once you fit in some extra power, you will feel that the gears are actually much tighter than you thought, by the time you hit 60 mph you'll be in 4th gear already. If this was meant to portray a rally car in a pocket size - as the game claims so - it sure inherits more from it than just visuals.

Such a shame the car doesn't support racing modifications. After seeing DRS modified Opti in Sega GT game, I can't help myself but to want one in GT2 as well.

Verdict:
Rally-inspired toy, but with a controversial appearance

Last edited:
500_Yellow.png
Car: Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
Power: 54 hp
Aspiration: NA
Drivetrain: FF
Weight: 735 kg​

What happens when Italians get hold of a toy car? They enlarge it, and give it a nice set of attractive cues. Okay, the Cinquecento isn't exactly a jaw-dropping material as far as the looks goes, but it does have a charm that will never be matched. It also comes with a poor passenger protection rating, but thankfully, that is none of our concern in this game.

It would be foolhardy to mistake (pun intended) the Cinquecento for an average kei car. Tiny dimensions apart, they are full of dissimilarities. The most important one comes as a result of different standards used in European auto industry; the Cinquecento has no in-class restrictions on the size of the engine, so it comes with a large 1.1 litre naturally aspirated unit. No blowing devices, this is as classic as it could be. What would be a rather courageous application to Asian micro cars is a well-known standard here in Europe.

The 1.1 litre engine is known for being conceptually simple and easy to maintain, but it has one important drawback - it is low on power. If this was a standard Cinquecento, rolling with 54 hp would be acceptable, but knowing this is the Sporting model, people will naturally expect far more. And for a good reason, because Asian competitors have so much to offer in this class.

500_Modified.png
These modifications pay tribute to the car's popularity in entry rally events

The ride is soft and too much pedestrian. When I first wrote few notes on its handling few months ago, I described it as "lazy" and "relaxed". The gearbox is also peculiar; I admire short alignment of gears, but that 1st gear is just way too short, I'm so close to calling it useless.

But still, it is hard to resist Italian charm the Cinquecento oozes on its owners. It's a car with flaws and imperfections that grows on you very quick. I like it, I really do, and would be willing to spend hours tuning it, trying to repair irreparable. I hate to say it, but very few kei cars could do such thing to me as the Cinquecento can.

Verdict:
Sloppy, but attractive. Worthy your time.

BONUS: A VIDEO REVIEW OF ITS OLDER RELATIVE, THE 500 R FROM BLOODY 1972!!!

GTR_Autech.png
Car: Nissan Skyline GT-R33 (4-door VS Regular)
Power: --
Drivetrain: 4WD
Weight: --​

I compared a standard 1997 GT-R33 with its 4-door relative, a limited edition made to celebrate 40 years of Skyline existence.

At first glance, what you see is what you get; the 1997 4-door GT-R33 brings nothing more than another pair of doors for people who want to be good at tackling corners as much as in changing nappies or driving a pair of two. Keep digging though, and you will find that there is more to the 4-door model than meets the parent eye.

Even though they share the same suspension values, the 4-door model can achieve slightly higher cornering speeds. This is mostly noticeable on medium-speed sweepers, such as the infinite one on the Circle 80 track. It is also more stable during high-speed pursuit, and less prone to going sideways in amount it wasn't intended. Autech worked on this model so perhaps their aero parts have something to do with that. After all, default downforce values for the 4-door model are slightly higher (0.15 - 0.25 as oppose to 0.12 - 0.21 on the standard R33).

Although both models use the same engine, the one powering the regular R33 has more ponies and torque overall, though that could be a mistake on PD part. The biggest difference is that the engine on the 4-door model hits rev limiter at 6700 rpm already (exactly where its peak power point is), whereas that of the regular R33 can climb all the way up to 8000 rpm. In theory, if both cars have the same gearbox values (apparently they do), the regular R33 would have the advantage as its needle wouldn't land as far from the peak power value as the 4-door model's.

GTR33_red.png

The standard R33 won the 1000m test by half a second, though that could be due to the difference in torque and power mentioned earlier. It's hard to say.

While it is true that the 4-door model produces less power by default, it is also true that this is the only R33 model that can hit 700 hp when fully tuned. It beats the regular R33 by full 54 ponies! Not to shabby for an estate.

Then again, that won't make much difference on corners since the 4-door model is also the only R33 model that can't accept racing modifications and take advantage of the adjustable aerodynamics. Cool, huh? Someone from PD really played with these R33s...

If you need more pepper, search for the Nismo tuned 4-door model. Exactly, this one of a kind R33 is another model you can opt for. It borrows some of the distinctive visuals from the 400R beast, but without the famous power increase. Why is that, beats me, it is probably just another mistake made during post-development cleaning and polishing. The only major difference I noticed lies in the spring values: 4.0 - 5.0 compared to 3.0 - 3.0 on the standard 4-door results in somehow tighter cornering and sturdier feeling when vigorously aiming for apexes. The acceleration test didn't reveal anything else either; on average it hits the 1000 metre mark just as quick as the regular 4-door model. Racing modifications aren't included, obviously. Doh!

GTR33_Blue.png

Conclusion:
What can I say, the game packs really impressive selection of the famous Skyline model. The 4-door model is interesting because it resembles a change, which is so much needed when dealing with these widely spread cars. I would say it drives better as well, so it kinda beats the regular R33 as far as my taste goes. The Nismo edition could have been a cherry on top of the cake, but with no rewarded power output of 380 hp, I feel it is incomplete, and would rather drive the standard one instead. To each his own, I guess.

RX7_Turbo.png
Car: Mazda RX-7 GT-Turbo ‘83
Power: 163 hp
Drivetrain: FR
Weight: 1020 kg​

This is a historic car that carved the significance of the famous RX nameplate for future generations to ride with it. It is the oldest scent of Rotary engineering you can smell in the game, with a bit of a chewed shoe tinge mixed in. Quite a way to ruin your meal.

All joking aside, the RX-7 is not a bad car, but it comes with flaws. You see, we know that for its time the RX-7 was praised for its perfect weight distribution and nimbleness. If I had driven the car in the game before reading about its roots, I would have never agreed on this so easily. For some reason the handling is set towards strong, persistent understeer, mostly interfering upon opening the throttle. For best results you have to make an effort to force those rear tires to skid somehow, going sideways doesn't seem to be the car's innate tendency.

I found the suspension to be a bit weak for the task, so at higher tuning level expect body roll if appropriate precaution is not taken. LSD should be a mandatory item as well. For what the car stands for it is worth having it in your garage, but forget about typical RX-7 feeling – this one will need lots of pampering to become a match for its younger relatives.

Verdict:
Rare and unique, though handling should have been better

Last edited:
Citroen Xsara 1.8i 16V Exclusive

Uh-oh. Whenever I see engine size and trim level exposed like this, I know what I can expect. Just another daily chariot whose only purpose of existence is to transport people from one point to another, preferably using the least amount of fuel possible. And I'm driving one of these right now. Citroen Xsara, guys. We're not going to break any lap records tonight.

If you're like me, you're probably curios about what is so "exclusive" on this trim level? To tell you the truth, I was dying to find out. Even though I knew I couldn't expect anything but some creature comforts that are industry standards nowadays, I still wanted to see what could one hope for in 1997 if he wanted to dress up his ride with some extra options.

As suspected, the list included goodies such as ABS, fog lights, electric windows, adjustable steering wheel and even onboard computer, to name just a few. GT2 even mentions rain sensors for windshield wipers, though at the time of writing this I could not find any evidence supporting this. Nonetheless, for its time, this was a great package for a family car. An average E55 AMG driver wouldn't give a *hit about it, but an average Joe whose Golf III didn't have half of these things listed? You bet your ass he would! That's the sort of thing that invokes jealousy and turns your close neighbors against you.

And of course, there was the engine. If you couldn't afford a 2.0 liter model, you had to stick with the poor man's version of it. But the manufacturer sure made you have no regrets by putting the valve number in the car name. That makes those 16 valves sound like something awesome, even if they just add slight more increase in power output over equally sized engine that doesn't have as many valves. Near something like the TU5 from the Saxo VTS it is pale in comparison.

That pretty much sums up how ordinary the Xsara is. Unless you're comparing it with a car from the same category, it is not going to attract your attention. Though I have to say when I first drove the VTR model from GT4 few years ago, I experienced something that made me check out this model today. The result is pretty much similar, so it's worth saying few more lines on it.

That road handling, it exceeds my expectations. It isn't remarkable or something like that, but on a car like the Xsara it's noteworthy at least. Shock absorbers soak pretty much any bump you place before the car, giving you good advantage on bumpy tracks such as Deep Forest or Trial Mountain. You don't have to be afraid of rumble strips with this one, the car eats them for breakfast. And the best thing about the suspension is that even though is set for comfort, it never takes a toll on tires. I tried pushing the car so hard hoping I would break the magic, but nothing I pulled out could upset the car and revolt the chassis against the rubber. This car can hold the road almost perfectly thanks to its fine undercarriage.

I figured out a normal driver may not even be able to make it kneel, so what we need to do is seek for a help. And that help is more power. More power to the engine, more torque on the tires, so that we can see the true limits of this car. Aftermarket shop owners will know how to do it. But so did Citroen. It already made a Xsara VTS, a 170 hp model that comes with the missing ingredient. I think the VTS could be the only Xsara eligible to offer complete experience and a place on a circuit. Even though it is not present in GT2, you can obtain a good alternative, the Pug 306 S16.

Nice: Comfy and capable suspension
Not so nice: I can't feel the effect of its passive rear-wheel steering... Google on that if you wish to know more

Mercedes-Benz C 43 AMG

Help me, guys, I can't spot a car like this anymore! I don't know what is situation over in the USA or on the East, but here in Europe we have such a scarce number of rear-wheel drive cars on our roads. If you narrow them down to multi-purpose ones, such as saloons or estates, the entire range can be counted on my fingers. That's why I love Mercedes-Benz sticks to rear-wheel drive layout. Even though its cars aren't to my liking that much, without it, I would not have any options. We would be all driving Bimmers and perhaps some beaten up Alfas from the 80's. Not that this would be terrible but isn't it nice when you have... a choice?

AMG cars often come with a slew of advanced accessories and gadgets, some of which are unavailable in regular cars until much later, and even then they remain limited to upper-class cars. That is good for the C43 in some ways because it ensures exclusivity in areas that aren't necessarily related to AMG powerplants.

The downside of this approach is that it makes the car expensive, technical, and heavy, the latter which is undoubtedly the most important factor of the three in our game.

Still, the C43 weighs around a ton and a half, which is acceptable for its class and dimensions.

The engine is where the excitement lies. I don't care how much power it generates; as long as it expresses it differently than a typical Japanese sports car, we're off to a good start. Having a turbocharger under your hood is kinda what I already expect from majority of Japanese cars. There is nothing here that can surprise me or make my blood boil. But a humongous V8 inside an European saloon? Hell yes! This is something you would more likely see in the USA or Australia, but seldomly or almost never in the EU!

Even if you know nothing about AMG, you must be familiar with its one man, one engine philosophy. According to it, every AMG engine gets hand-built by one engineer from the team. That's why the engines come with a nameplate of their creator. Some people think this is nothing more than a gimmick for boosting sales, and that at best technicians only supervise assembly of the engines without interfering with techniques and procedures. Okay... but can we really expect more than that? Considering how quickly robots are taking over, we should be happy that human hands still work on parts, regardless of how much.

Let's make a quick mention of the car's exterior before we move on. Appeal on this one is moderate. The body hasn't aged that well as a whole, but from certain angles it can still turn few heads, assuming your maintenance skills are top-notch. What bothers me is that AMG did very little to embellish its prime model. In GT2 that presents a big problem because of the low-res graphics; there are occasions in which it is impossible to tell it apart from a regular W202 C.

And then we have the colors. AMG offered three to four generic shades from Schindler's list and very few actual colors that could only be acquired by special order. Polyphony reduced the prime shades to a mere two and didn't include those extra colors because why would they, right?

Handling is pretty decent. It is a bit unusual to see a soft suspension setup on a car like the C43, especially since AMG further tweaked W202's initial config, so at the very least it should be a tad firmer than that. When the car feels threatened, it responds with mild understeer, but usually it takes little effort to remove unnecessary load off the front tires. Breaking the rear traction can help you with turn-ins, just slam on the brakes and lock them up. There is no danger of losing traction on your way out of a corner unless you're in the lowest gear possible and at an angle, but even then the C43 remains reluctant to actually spin you out.

All in all, it definitely doesn't feel like a sports car, but for an average luxury saloon it's competent enough. Going neck and neck with a turbocharged 300ZX at the GVS makes a pretty good sale reference, don't you agree?

Nice: A V8 RWD saloon
Not so nice: Expensive!

Mercedes-Benz E 55 AMG

You heard me complaining about the esthetics of the C43, but that was before I recalled there was another car that looked even more inconspicuous. And that is the E55. I mean, I hope that's an E55 'cause it could really be anything, an E220 diesel for instance! Thank God we have those stellar-looking 5-spoke alloy wheels, otherwise I would need to keep reminding myself I'm driving AMG.

You can look at the E55 as an upscaled version of the C43. This is now a noticeably heavier car with longer wheelbase and because of that, it will be less nimble. Again, the springs seem to be much softer than I would expect for a car of sporty nature and that reflects on corners. I reckon basic upgrade could really do a miracle to both cars, and most importantly, make them feel a bit more like AMGs.

The growth is obvious under the hood as well. The 5.4-litre V8 produces around 350 ponies, making the E55 the second most powerful luxury saloon in the game, being overshadowed only by supercharged Jaguar XJR.

And of course AMG dudes are going to charge you extra 50 grand for the E55, this is an elite class car after all. A total price of 153,000 credits does imply some mind-numbing grinding, and for such large investment you do not get much track experience. If price was a measure of that, Aston Martin Vantage would be the best road car in GT2 by far, and we know it's anything but that!

The E55 shares the same driving dynamics of its smaller brother. I hope you like using your brakes like a rally driver. In this case, however, you gotta pay a little more attention to angles at which you're going to slide around. The car is very forgiving and will let you toss it around like a stuntman, but for the same reason it's easy to get cocky and overshoot a maximum angle. Hammering the throttle will unsettle the car only if you're already dangerously close to a spin, so like with the C43, you have some gracious margin of safety, most of which is a result of the car's electronic guardian angles.

I would buy any of these two just for the novelty of driving an AMG saloon with a V8 in it. Nothing else matters. :)

Nice: Again - a V8 RWD saloon!
Not so nice: Even more costly. Intended mostly for highway rivalry

Last edited:
About the Citroen: from what I understand when my family lived in Germany years ago, French cars have a reputation for being comfortable and cooshy. :) I remember riding in a SM when I was a kid (this is one of those which has an air suspension) and it was like riding on a cloud. But the reason is you all have a lot of cobblestone roads in Europe. I don't know about Croatia, but we'd frequently see cobblestones in France and Germany. See, we don't have cobbled or brick roads in America hardly at all, except for maybe in the oldest sections of our cities.

AMG Benz C43: That's an interesting viewpoint, that some people see its "one person" build to be a gimmick. Whatever. I think it makes a difference, especially in the long run. Over time you see, this one person can be accountable for anything which might go wrong with that engine. It's different from mass-produced automobiles in which humans might still assemble some components, but exactly who are these humans?

Anyway, your writing is humorous, as it's been for years. :lol: I remember really enjoying my drive in the C43. Never did try the heavier E55, but maybe some day I will. Good to hear it's also quite nimble. :)

And then we have the colors. AMG offered three to four generic shades from Schindler's list

:lol:

But the reason is you all have a lot of cobblestone roads in Europe. I don't know about Croatia, but we'd frequently see cobblestones in France and Germany. See, we don't have cobbled or brick roads in America hardly at all, except for maybe in the oldest sections of our cities.
I think it mostly depends on a city, I know some main streets in Zagreb do not have cobblestones anymore due to safety reasons but some do, often in historic areas and those are usually restricted to pedestrians and vans doing deliveries. I don't miss them, I remember driving my bike on a cobbled section after a rain, it wasn't enjoyable to say at least. :)

Mazda 323F Coupe Type-R '93

Let's rewind the life for a moment, and check out what Mazda designers had on mind in the 80s. At the time, it wasn't enjoying much success with its styling. The quality was there as well as the range of engines and body types, but as far as the looks was considered, things weren't flourishing.

And when I say "styling" I'm being very generous since majority of Japanese manufactures from that period relied purely on conventional, predictable shapes. They didn't yet have an identity that would help them attract more eyeballs. Most of what Mazda worked with was practiced in other Japanese companies, and due to many similarities was often considered a copy of something designed in America or Europe. Which wasn't surprising since design of early Japanese cars was heavily inspired by American.

But then in 1989 Mazda released a 323F Astina, a car that changed everything. It disintegrated belief that sporty looks was restricted only to expensive and exotic cars and thus, inaccessible to common people. It also gave us a glimpse of Mazda's intentions to experiment with new styling ideas, which would eventually led to birth of the Zoom-Zoom era. One of the cars that came out in the midst of this brainstorming process was the Lantis, which I recollect to be one of the earliest 4-door coupes.

The Astina was criticized for lacking powerful engines that would supplement its juvenile exterior, and for most part that virus carried over to Lantis. I say "most part" because some markets did receive a treat in form of a 2.0 liter engine with about 170 horsepower. That was a pretty serious figure for a family car back then, even nowadays it ensures you'll be among the swiftest on the road. And all that power came from a V6 which was relatively small in size compared to what you normally expect from a V engine, not to mention that it sounded better than most straight-4 engines.

Don't get upset by the car's bulky appearance - road handling on this one is pretty good. Despite visible body roll you can clear majority of beginner races without doing a single a tweak to the suspension. Corner-entry understeer is a nemesis you have to watch out for, mostly occurring if you exceed with your entry speed - which is what you shouldn't be doing in any car!

I noticed that unlike majority of FWD cars in the game the Lantis doesn't have a tendency to pull inwards if you open the throttle on your way out of a corner, giving you more realistic FWD experience.

RM-ing the body will turn the car into a JTCC replica. I wish I could inspect modified car without the Castrol livery, just in plain color, because it definitely looks more attractive with added front lip and side skirts. Of course, the whale tail spoiler at the back makes the greatest difference. This is a rare Mazdaspeed original accessory and if you can find one on a real Lantis, consider yourself lucky. Most owners just stick with a spoiler that looks like the one on the stock Type-R since it is much easier to obtain and comes in several variations.

The whole car looks nice, but if I would have to point out one detail that stands above others, it would be the headlights. Or eyebrows as I like to call them. Whoever came up with the idea, I salute him, as he did one hell of a gamble on the decision to make the car intimidate other traffic and at the same time prevent its driver from seeing at night.

Some players will skip the Lantis and move immediately to a Civic, Mirage or something else equally lightweight. That's a pure psychology at work, even though Lantis isn't that heavy and doesn't feel handcuffed by its weight - which is the only thing that matters - technical stats and swollen body look makes you wonder if this is really what you need on a race track. It isn't the first nor the last car in GT2 that remained in shadow because of that kind of thinking.

Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1 '97

In my early days of gaming I had a very simple preference on cars; I wanted to drive interesting ones and avoid uninteresting ones. What was my measure of how much was something interesting? Well, that depended on what kind of vibe I was getting from a car. There is no way I would give chance to a car that couldn't invoke some sort of curiosity in me. It would take a pro level of persuasion to trick me into trying it out.

Or a proper beatdown. There was always that.

The only drawback was that my taste in cars as a result often wasn't compatible with their performing abilities. It wasn't unusual to see me selling some really nice machines from my garage so that I could clog it with trash bags.

And that's how I missed out a handful of good rides. It took me almost 15 years of GT2 ownership to buy and test drive a VZ-R, for instance. I mostly blame its styling for that since I couldn't stand cars with D-pillar-shaped body work of a station wagon in clothing of a sporty hatchback. That could never pass my inspection back then and I'm ashamed to admit that even today I still kinda reject cars that are styled like this.

Which is a sin since the VZ-R is a damn good car and worth overlooking some strange vibes on styling that in this case were so dangerously subjective I should have never let them overflow my brain.

Nissan essentially made a direct competitor for the EK Civic Type R, a true rival that was supposed to give Honda a taste of their own medicine. It wasn't an immediate score though. Nissan first had to upgrade the engine so that it could reach Honda's horsepower threshold for sub 2-litre naturally-aspirated engines. That model was formally known as N1 and was homologated for use in N1 Super Taikyu events. But that alone wasn't enough, so they gave the car extra tweaks and released it later as Version II. Only then the car was finally ready to fight and consequently beat its nemesis. And according to Best Motoring drivers (who compared both cars to a Civic Type R), the difference in performance between the first and the updated N1 was really big.

I wanted a piece of that too! I wasn't sure what kind of N1 we had in GT2, but I knew one thing - we're skipping the standard VZ-R. That was certain.

AND... we're going for the Integra Type R.

Exactly. Screw Civic. If my assumption is correct and we have the enhanced N1, it would be foolish to assume anything other than Civic losing this battle. But Integra is a different car. My experience with both Type Rs from various different games is that it should be at least tad better than the Civic, especially when it comes to body rigidity. So let's give it a go, my mind decided.

The next thing I knew was that I lost... driving the Integra! Let me tell you, that sure felt amazing. I always considered Type Rs to be ultimate machines when it comes to FWD handling or general balance, but this victory at Trial Mountain proved that perfection doesn't exist. :)

Road handling on the VZ-R N1 is excellent. The car grips the road almost perfectly and rarely understeers in corners. As for bad points, I can't say much. Sometimes right after a turn-in or before you turn the wheel back to its natural position, it will show a tendency to loosen up its rear end, almost like it wants to initiate a drift. Nothing harmful, but a bit unusual for a FWD car. This is not an oversteer effect you experience on some front-wheel drive cars when you apply the brakes too hard. The feeling I'm talking about is actually very similar to that of RWD cars that have a lot of power and no LSD tuned so tires spin at different speed during accel. and decel. sequences, leading to "lightweight" feel on the axle powering the car.

The Integra wasn't slow at all, but occasionally it understeered more and had minor problems accelerating uphill. If you shift into higher gear before you start climbing up a hill, there is a chance you'll lose momentum to carry you up since these kind of engines don't have much torque. If you want to keep up with cars that have equal power but more torque, you can't afford to make any mistakes on shifting.

The outcome of the two battling together depends on a track you choose. In my case, on Super Speedway for instance, anyone could win it, Trial Mountain gave advantage to the VZ-R, and on Motorsports Land Integra dominated. So the VZ-R it's not always faster, but when it is, it feels satisfying to witness it.

Actually, the only thing working against the VZ-R is the fact Type R badge comes with a pedigree and history. That alone ensures popularity Nissan wouldn't be unable to match before working at least a decade on spicy FWDs. Even Pulsar fans always think of the GTI-R model first, so how could we expect it to be popular then?

What should get your attention is the fact this engine used to hold a record for having the highest power output in a 1.6 liter category. I would not be surprised if this record hasn't been beaten yet.

Suzuki Cervo SR-FOUR '90

I love keis that look like compressed variation of larger cars. Daihatsu Opti Beex I reviewed in the first post was one of them and today I bought another one - the Cervo SR-FOUR. This car reminds me a lot on slightly larger Suzuki Altos we used to have here in Europe around 2000s. I think that's a pretty okay looking car even today, so you can only imagine how awesome its smaller counterpart looked in 1990.

It is not just the cues, but the overall finish. Car manufacturers use all sorts of cut-cost tricks to make kei cars affordable, and sometimes that reflects on their visuals. But regardless of the angle from which you'll be looking at the Cervo, it won't leave such impression. Unlike past Cervo models, it doesn't have certain parts of its body exposed or constructed in an unusual way, a way that would likely denote the budget it was built under.

Since Suzuki offers so many kei cars, one of which is widely known Alto Works, the Cervo could be seen by some people as nothing other than a mere alternative. But it's an alternative with capital A. The engine powering the car was one of the earliest four-cylinder engines in a kei car, preceding even Daihatsu's J-series engine found in a Mira L500. It does produce slightly less torque than the engine powering Alto Works, Wagon RR or Capuccino, but that's expected considering it's an older engine. It's so rare to see a four-cylinder engine in a car this small, so that kinda makes you proud of it, even though one cylinder less or more doesn't really make a difference in GT2.

Four-wheel drive makes the car stable on approach to a corner. Opening the throttle after passing apex of a corner gives the Cervo a slight push inwards. Despite lying on a soft suspension and real-life tires, I had no objections on the way it handles corners. Let's not forget this car weighs 690 kilos, that's a special perk you can only find in pocket-sized machines like this one.

It takes some time to get used to gearing. The first two gears are incredibly short and most likely will need to be adjusted as soon as you start adding some power. Then we have the third which is decently optimized for the engine's power delivery, but it is followed by the stretched-for-highway-driving fourth. The fifth one, which probably won't be needed earlier on, is again optimized, even more than the third since it bounces the needle back to the exact place I needed it to be. In other words, the gears are all spaghetti, and usefulness of certain gears unlocks and locks depending on power upgrades you apply to the car.

Majority of players who want a kei car won't consider buying a Cervo since it cannot be RM modified or upgraded past 120hp. This affects some other keis too and is just one of many Polyphony's ingenious method of kneecapping certain cars without any explanations as to why they do such annoying thing. But hey, at least you can enter Compact car cup and pretend you're one of them. Hopefully the race will finish long before body size of your car starts raising some questions. :)

Daihatsu Sirion CX 2WD/AWD '98

How does this little car rate on general popularity scale? Not to good I'm afraid. Three out of four people I asked to tell me what they think of the car couldn't figure out what company made it. Two people thought it was Daewoo (hm, it really does look like one) and one person was certain it was something from the east, but didn't want to go a step further and specify manufacturer. The last guy knew it was Daihatsu but only because he is a mechanic and allegedly worked on one years ago.

Oddly enough, all four tried to identify the car first, and then talk about what they think of it, which is what I asked them first. When we finally got there, only one guy - that "something from the east" dude - approved it by saying it looks cute. Two Daewoo guys didn't know what to say, and the last guy, the mechanic, was interrupted by a phone call just a moment before he was trying to say something.

I was waiting for nearly five minutes for him to finish his conversation only to hear him telling me that he needed to replace a broken windshield on a Sirion because his owner hit a flying bird or something.

And on my primary question he responded with shoulder shrug and replied, "if it drives fine, go for it".

And those are the results of my limited survey. I can't be disappointed since I didn't specify what exact aspect of the car people should express their opinions on, but in spite of it I still kinda got what I wanted. Most people are not aware of the model until you show them something like it does exist. And then any comment that follows will most likely target car's unusual styling.

Daihatsu mostly operates in Japan and that's what they get as a result of their absence from other markets.

But it seems Daihatsu doesn't mind that. It clearly knows what kind of business it wants to run and that perfectly corresponds with the lineup from GT2. The entire selection is mostly made of kei cars, with the exception of the Sirion that is the only slightly bigger car. But only in terms of body size - power range doesn't hesitate to drop down to a level that would make kei owners chuckle. The base model CX comes with a mere 59 HP engine, leading to one of the worst p/w ratio in the class and the game itself.

So when it comes to overall performance, I'm in a pretty bad position, much like my surveyed individuals were - I don't know what to say. Even when I drive it on the crappiest tires possible, even when I start taking improper cornering lines just so that I could simulate sharper, goosebumps-invoked cornering, there is still little to talk about. I do know I was constantly getting only one feedback - we need more power! Adding a turbocharger improves things dramatically, but it's still going to be outclassed by almost any tuned kei car.

There is one thing to remember; this body was made to withstand 59 hp, not 159. The same applies to its tires, skinny as they are, you can't expect them to grip the road as sports wide tires would. I'm saying that because some people could expect magic from the car once they tune it, just because it is AWD and weighs less than a ton.

Two different drivetrain models is thoughtful but it won't make much difference in this game. Since FWD cars have too much grip by default, you could likely profit by sticking with the FWD version entire time, since it's a bit lighter than the AWD.

If you really like this car and want more, switch to GT4. Not only you get two drivetrain models like here, but you can also fully upgrade each with either NA or turbo parts (GT2's NA parts barely raise any power). That gives you slightly more options to play with and build a Sirion that fully matches your needs. Since I love this car I ended up buying two models in GT4, one for gravel/ice roads and other for tarmac. :)

Speaking of gravel and ice, Sirion was widely raced in domestic rallies, and if you want, you can easily make your own replica from a CX or even X4. Lots of privateers mostly used X4s and facelift 1.3 models for sub 1000 and 1500 cc classes, but accordingly, Daihatsu's own sports team built a limited number of 300 hp versions. There is only one video on Youtube showing a possible proof of its existence, but that still needs to be confirmed since there is exactly none written info on it anywhere else. The fictional Sirion rally car from GT2 is presumably based on it, but without any strong evidence confirming such model really existed, I can't say how fictional the GT2 version really is. Besides, what kind of 1.3 liter engine could produce that kind of power? Is that even possible?

What we can tell is that the rally car is wider than the standard Sirion by 140 mm and that instills confidence it could be more competent on corners than any tuned CX or X4. I heard its awesome so I gave it a quick test drive. While it is indeed fast, it shows strong preference for grip driving which I didn't like that much. That's not my idea of an AWD rally car and I'm afraid I would spend too much of my time trying to make it skid around like some Ken Block's wannabe Gymkhana dude.

Some day I would like to own a Sirion because its wicked styling guarantees certain exclusivity you won't find on any other city car.

Mazda 323 4-door Interplay '89

Interplay, everyone. Interplay...

Makes you think what could it possibly mean. My presumption was that it had something to do with the engine. Perhaps Mazda developed some sort of advanced technology that was supposed to make the engine run smoother, use less fuel or deliver better performance. Or maybe it was a special type of engine built to cut production costs and offer easier maintenance. It wouldn't be the first one.

But it is in fact that my presumption was garbage.

This Interplay thing is nothing more than a trim level label. A level that brings you amenities such as I don't know, who cares and whatever. Couldn't live without them.

All poking aside, it was impossible for me to find anything about it on the internet. Polyphony identified it as a luxurious package, and further investigation brought me to Indonesian videos from which I could only presume (again) that Interplay contains electronic package for windows, mirrors and air ventilation. Is really that it? Please tell me more if you know.

The car itself is exceptionally cheap. The color I liked was on sale for three and a half grand. If I wanted a black one I could get it for even less than that. I didn't want to give this too much thought, because why wouldn't I spend less if I can, but then I saw a turbocharged GT-X selling for just a bit over four grand. Now that's insane, does this dealership really make any money on 323s?! According to Polyphony, it seems not!

Only once in my life I heard of a dealership selling its brand new SUV model for zero commission, and that's because the buyer was a notable charity association and its representative a guy with advanced social skills. One phone call was all he needed to negotiate buying a car from them on a "discount" he wouldn't get anywhere else.

He made them believe a sale like that would increase reputation of their company by spreading the voice of a good deed around. I have no problem with this but it makes me wondering; if you already want to buy a brand new car, and you're willing to spend a lot of money on it, why fight over few thousand dollars of profit the shop was supposed to get? If you're concerned about saving, why not ask for a donation then? Most dealerships that import vehicles from one particular manufacturer usually have some sort of a deal with it to gift a car every once in a while, as a part of promotion or something else. That to my knowledge usually does not affect business of either parties since there are ways that can be organized. But by doing something like he did, his association won't make any drastic save on its budget to make that move reasonable but he WILL take the bread of the seller's mouth. But that's just my opinion, not that I know much about how business works.

So according to our game, either these car depreciate faster than a flying bullet or they've been butchered to death by previous owners. Whatever the reason is, a price that low is a good news for people starting out with the game, because they can use the remaining money on some upgrades, which this car NEEDS.

The chassis is quite stiff, though you could hardly tell that from a replay or the moves the car makes when cornering. There is enough mechanical data coming from both axles so you can always tell how far you're allowed to push on each tire compound.

Even so, performance isn't anything to write home about, mostly because the car lacks speed for circuits. Accelerating anywhere takes time and when you eventually get there you never want to brake because of the time it will take you to pick up speed again. Plus, when you reach the end of its limits, the car offers nothing but classic understeer. The vibe I sense from the car reminds me a lot on cars that are built to serve parents and their groceries. Family cars can be exciting to drive at low power, but it takes effort in other areas to provide amusement, and this Interplay model obviously isn't doing that.

If I wanted to be mean, I could say I got what I paid for, but in this case that does not apply because the Interplay isn't a bad car, it's just too ORDINARY. I would suggest aiming straight for the GT-X since that one is a bit more GT-themed and should offer some level of excitement right from the start. Let's leave the Interplay to chaps with obsessive attention to factory trim details. Who knows, maybe at the press of a single controller button we can pull all four pixelated windows down and spot American paper bag with a celery sticking out of it. That would be dope.

FIAT Seicento Sporting (VS others!)

Four years ago I reviewed a Cinquecento and now it is time to check its successor, the Seicento. Forum guys and fans of Italian cars repeadetly argue that both are very, very similar apart from how they were sketched, so I don't expect to see any crucial differences, only minor ones. I never did a thorough reasearch so I don't really know WHAT to expect, but if we hold on to theory the two aren't identical, I'll be happy with every single distinction I can witness. Clearly we're not going to find out anything by looking at the dealership stats since both cars share the same exact data. We need to take them out on the road and see how they perform.

I got a day off and booked myself a track day at Motorsport Land. This course is perfect for what I had in mind since it gives you no room to relax. You're constantly doing something, turning your wheel, braking, looking at checkpoint times, aiming for apexes, anything. I want to use every single minute of my free time pushing the cars to their maximum and in order to do that, I need a track that's going to MAKE ME do that. Besides, the cars we are testing today have almost no power by GT standards, so they are just going to wear you out if you take them out to circuits made of endless straights and 100 kph sweepers.

I bought two Sporting models, the new and old one. The 600 (Seicento) is the star of the show, but as I said previously, I want to see how the 500 (Cinquecento) compares so it's joining the journey. I also decided to bring along two volunteers from the same class just to see if the Sportings pose any threat to anything other but themselves. Off the top of my head I knew I wanted a Mini here since both Sportings and Mini have a story to tell, they have been used heavily on rally events and were compared by automotive journalists all the time. Another one I wanted to include was a 2WD Daihatsu Opti Club Sport. I felt it was mandatory to bring at least one kei car to our little flock and in terms of what this one had to offer it looked like a great pick. You could say it's perfectly optimized for today's assignment. :)

So, two Sporting models, two sparing partners, eight pairs of real-life tires... damn, that will cost a little fortune. Thank goodness we don't have to take any bank loan!

The game charges us 13 grand per Sporting, that's no little money considering you can get most kei cars from 10 to 12. Okay, the Mini is more expensive, but you're paying for the icon there, not the car itself. The 600 shouldn't cost that much and should definitely worth more than the 500. Why is the 500 a "new car" anyway? By the same token, an R33 GT-R should be also. Polyphony uses different standards for certain cars and that's why applying logic is sometimes waste of time. I suppose they didn't want to include used car sheet for a dealership if they couldn't fill it with sufficient amount of models, but why not make a single sheet that includes everything from a certain period of time then, like in GT4?

Surprisingly, these Sportings tend to be equally expensive in real world, even as second-hand cars. Unlike Punto from the same generation, Sportings don't know for depreciation. Nowadays in Croatia it's hard to find an used one for less than 1300 euros. Even basic S and SX models tend to cost around 2000 euros, which is totally absurd! Considering you can buy a decent Punto for that amount or less, which is much more practical, stable and better overall than a Sporting, why would you do that? The only reason I can think of is that Punto may feel less sporty and exclusive than a Sporting, but I really doubt that's what keeps Sportings so pricey, especially the base models.

However, some people disagree with my pricing complaint. They think it's normal to pay that much for a Sporting. One acquaintance of mine told me he wouldn't mind spending EVEN MORE on it as he was countless times checking for an older two-stroke 50 cc Vespa, none of which he found in decent shape could be bought for less than 1500 euros. And he didn't want to ride a Vespa really, only posses for a future value. So, from his angle, a Sporting that costs 2000 euros is a good deal as long as it's cheaper than a *ucking scooter?! That logic would make sense if he was looking for the best means of transportation possible but he clearly wanted one particular model withing the means, class and make he had already chosen! So why compare a car to a scooter then? You compare a car to a car or you don't compare at all. This scooter supplement sounds like nothing other than a desperate excuse not to admit Cinquecentos and Seicentos are simply overvalued for what they are.

Anyhow, let's see how the 600 stacks up against the 500.

The first thing that immediately drew my attention was its gearing. Fiat changed the ratio of the 1st gear so that it no longer hits the rev limiter at 20+ kph. How nice of them. I remember this being one of the most bizarre things on the 500. The gear would get in my way so much I had no choice but to use the 2nd one for fly offs. Once you're out there racing, you'll likely never need 1st gear again, but that one time, when you really need it, I want to know it's capable of doing what's supposed to do - allow me to quickly take off with as little wheelspin as possible. Am I asking too much? Obviously not, and the 600 is a proof it can be done.

We can often see shorter 1st gears on vehicles that are designed to off-road or tow stuff, but that's okay since these vehicles are meant to serve as workhorses. The 500, on the other hand, is a city car so it has ZERO reason to have it. It's not like it has 10 HP so it needs bicycle setup to pick up speed.

I'm not even sure if this gearing thing on the 500 was Polyphony's baloney or not, and I was afraid to check as I wanted to believe at least once in my life that I have witnessed Polyphony capturing a major boo-boo on one of manufacturer's products.

Both cars can clear the entire track in one gear, 2nd in case of the 600 and 3rd in case of the 500. The reason is the ratio of the 500's 1st gear. Other gears don't seem to be any different but even if they were, on this track it wouldn't matter anyway because of its technical layout.

In general the 600 seems to be slightly faster than the 500 for a reason I wasn't able to identify. I'm sure that gears have nothing to do with it. I was able to catch up with the 500 even if 600's engine was running at rpm that was supposed to put me in a disadvantageous position. A clear run at Super Speedway gave the 600 advantage of 0,700 seconds. I would probably say this has something to do with engine's electronics or maybe better aerodynamics because I couldn't find any other reason in what I was presented with.

Right now the situation doesn't look very bright for the 500, but I found one factor that will make you think less highly of the 600.

Such as ground clearance for instance. The 500 seats closer to the ground by 1 cm. Those 10 millimeters normally wouldn't mean anything but I dare to say that in this case they meant EVERYTHING. Extra clearance makes the 600 less responsive and forces you into taking wider cornering arc. Higher center of gravity equals more body roll, less response and consequently less maneuverability.

But the 600 has no attention to back off! It has another trump card up its sleeves, another gimmick granted by modern technology. ABS. Its brakes don't lock up if you brake too hard. That often happens with the 500. I would often receive big amounts of understeer just before a corner entry so I had to put all the effort to brake on straights which obviously isn't easy on a track like this, you gotta have some braking during a turn-in. I thought I could avoid this by modulating brakes with analog controls, but it did not help. And even though general braking power seems to be worse on the 500 by half of the car's lenght (judged from a 130 kph rolling start), this isn't going to make impact on your performance as much as that understeer. This problem doesn't exist on the 600, and understeer that hits you is milder.

On the subject of hitting, I'm slightly going to digress from the topic again. At some point there was a lot of concern involved around safety of people driving inside a 500 and 600. And for a good reason. The 500's chassis could be deformed on slighter inpact leaving its passengers exposed to serious injuries or even death. Even if the car had some safety equipment (it had none), those could do little to nothing to minimize danger.

But that's okay, I'm not going to judge safety of a car built during the 80s. Back then this wasn't primary concern in super mini class of cars, so the 500 wasn't actually that much unsafer than its rivals.

But in 1998, some standards did exist. So there was no excuse not to improve rigidity of the chassis even if the car was pocket-sized. Sadly, Fiat did absolutely nothing to ensure the 600 would make a step forward towards safety of its occupants. It reused the exact same chassis, much like it did with the engine and drivetrain, adding only minor safety aids, such as airbags or ABS. To my knowledge, the bodywork remained 100% intact and Fiat kept spamming it until 2010 when last 600 models rolled of the line.

That's... pretty daring actually, and a bit criminal if I may say. I suppose Fiat wanted to cut down production costs. That would explain why the 600 was very cheap compared to a Renault Twingo or even Daewoo Matiz, the latter which wasn't easy to achieve.

WHICH IS ANOTHER *UCKIN REASON WHY USED EXAMPLES SHOULDN'T BE THAT EXPENSIVE!

So that's about only time when it makes sense comparing a 600 to a motorcycle. Listen up, fathers. If you have a kid who is crazy about motorcycles, and you're worried about his safety, you can prevent him from ever riding it by offering a compromise in a shape of a 600 Sporting with new Michelin tires and a free tank of petrol. Four tires will always provide more safety than two, even if the car resting on them doesn't have the necessary safety factor you would want for your kid.

I know it doesn't sound like a good alternative, but it is not supposed to be good, only LESS BAD. If you're concerned about safety you should normally avoid car-cans and loud rockets between your legs and focus on modern vehicles with safety angels and tough chassis. You can always experiment with death sentence vehicles in video games.

Sorry about that. Back to our game. :)

Fiat's FIRE engines are known for being sturdy and simple to maintain, but that's not this one's only advantage. Its power band works like a charm in urban conditions, and we can feel some of this here since majority of corners kinda want you to drop the revs down. You could downshift, but why should you if you have enough torque at disposal to pull you out of a corner?

Torque spikes at 3250 rpm and keeps supplying enough force until about 5000. A good bonus is that at this point you also have plenty of power at disposal, not the maximum output of 55, but around 50, which is still great. Now you know why it is possible to clear the entire track using only one gear, there is simply no need to downshift since the engine remains responsive where it needs to be. This of course applies to both the 500 and 600 since they share the same engine.

Then it was time to face Mini. I decided to use the poverty version 1.3 since I believed the Cooper would be unfairly better despite using the same engine, but to be honest, I'm not sure I understand how these two models differentiate. The internet wasn't very helpful and nor were GT2 Minis info pages. Do these two cars really share the same engine? I noticed they had different power bands so that makes me wondering. I would wish to know more, please if someone knows, share the knowledge. :)

Anyway, I thought there would be problems because of the difference in power and weight, but I managed to keep the Mini away from the 600 for few laps.

There is a significant amount of understeer crippling the Mini, combined with a tendency to skid on all four wheels. Minimum skidding is acceptable and even recommended as long as it does nothing else but help change direction of your car so that you can switch to accelerating as quickly as possible. But when it starts moving the car away from imagined line and prevent picking up speed, that's a sign lap times will suffer and that we need a better suspension setup. In addition, the engine DOES provide enough torque but not much power, around 50 at the point of the most frequent revving. So even though it has more power overall than the 600, here it can't be used until you rev it high enough, and that happens only at the end of that short straightway. The Mini would probably beat the 600 elsewhere without much trouble, but on this track little details on the engines and their powerbands made that victory slightly harder to achieve.

The last opponent was Opti. It's a ground clearance champion, 20 millimeters higher than the 500 or 10 compared to the 600. Once again, the difference is felt. Despite being the lightest car in the group, it is actually the least responsive to steer and prone to taking wide cornering line. If you try to be aggressive, it responds with four-wheel drift that reduces its momentum and cuts your corner-exit speed. It also severely understeers, just like the 500, though I swear it is even worse at times. This is a car that is difficult to prepare for a corner properly, you need to pay lot of attention to braking and line you take. Once it starts understeering it is very difficult to recover from it.

On top of all the problems sits the engine. Less than 40 hp at 4500 rpm and not even 50 at 6000 makes the Opti very slow despite having decent force of torque distributed across the mid-rev rpm zone (though the 600's engine still produces 2.6 units of torque more overall).

I can imagine the Opti outperforming the 600 but without tweaked suspension and track segments long enough for the engine to rev high, that image is hard to realize.

In conclusion, I think both 500 and 600 are far from identical, but they are similar enough to make you think they're the same thing. The 600 takes advantage of minor modern assistance, such as power steering or ABS, but retains the same chassis and engine from its predecessor. It also comes with more useful 1st gear. The 500 requires careful braking but it gets to be more thrilling to drive due its lowered suspension.

Those are the results I got testing the two in GT2, let me know what you think, does any of this apply to real models, especially if you used to own one of these two cars (or both!).

And I apologize for not posting screenshots once again, this last review ended being a bit too long and I didn't find enough time to capture some shots and brake the repetition of the bland text. Regardless, I hope you'll enjoy the read, have a happy new 2022 and stay safe! :)

Subaru Vivio RX-R

The kei car (light automobile) concept is over 70 years old, but the period between the mid-80s and the 90s is the one I'm particularly interested in. During this time any manufacturer involved in this business had a spiced up contender to appeal to people who wanted more excitement out of their minuscular shopping carts.

Despite being sold to minor audience (observed from a global perspective), the popularity of kei cars among automotive nutheads eventually began increasing with the introduction of the internet and the Gran Turismo series. I was caught by the same fever since most of these kei cars are interesting research material because of different approaches to enginering and all the governmant limitations manufacturers have to deal with. I believe there is a story behind every kei car, a good read that broadens your horizons and gives you a time of "educational entertainment", if you're really into that stuff.

Is Subaru Vivio one of them? I found some interesting facts that would certinly make you proud of owning a Vivio if you had one. So let's list them one by one.

First, this is one of very few models which Subaru didn't supply with boxer engines. Technology did exist, but perhaps they thought making a 660 cc boxer engine for a car that wasn't meant to be shipped outside Japan wouldn't be profitable.

BUT... this IS the original Subaru engine! To my knowledge it wasn't obtained from any other manufacturer, so at least it receives a check for independency.

vivio.jpg

Second, Colin McRae drove one of these in the 1993 Safari Rally. Dark blue paintjob, number 6. No gold wheels though. If only Vivio was sold outside Japan, it would receive instant recognition and a title of poor man's Impreza. :)

Third, it is supercharged! Right now I can't think of any other supercharged kei car apart from Rex... which was also Subaru, so that doesn't count! Did I also mention the engine was four-cylinder? That's another nice feature, very rare in this class.

And you can tell the engine is different. The sound is more mature, it revs responsivly and you can hear the supercharger working if you pay close attention. It produces close to maximum torque available from 3000 to 5000 rpm. At 5000 peak pwoer takes over and keeps on giving until 7500 rpm. The result? A peace of mind brain state, whether you're going uphill or coming out of a corner in higher gear, there won't be power shortages when you don't want it. I learned that racing in the kei car cup at Seattle Short, that track has one big slope to climb and two corners that require at-the-ready torque and power supply.

Vivio had many rivals it could challenge. The main favourites were Alto works and Mira Avanzato, mainly because of their lower p/w ratio. I never did any head-to-head testing though, so I'm not sure how the three would stack up against each other. I wouldn't written off Vivio that easily though, a supercharger mated to a properly aligned gearbox could outclass turbos despite its host being in a mathematical disadvantage.

The fourth and final fact, we can drive two models, the RX-RA and RX-R. The latter is supposed to be a sporty whereas the former a motorsports version with improved suspension and tighter gear ratio. I wanted to test drive both but couldn't find the RX-RA in the dealership. Not that it matters anyway, the differences are probably so subtle they aren't of any importance, and certainly they won't be with further tuning modifications.

These facts help you remember what the Vivio was and why it isn't "just another kei car". And that's important because it's pretty much going to remain absent from all future driving games. Shame.

Jaguar XJ Sport 3.2

High-displacement value make it less apparent, but it is the fact that Jaguar placed ONE of the smallest V8s inside the XJ. A quick Google search told me that if we focus on last 30 or 40 years, this could be THE smallest V8 engine ever fitted to a road car. It even beats down Yamaha/Cosworth's 3.4 liter piece that moves the SHO Taurus (also available in the game).

That's a pretty solid achievment there, but the smaller the engine is, the less power is going to have (in general), so that first comes at a cost. 240 hp doesn't sound that bad, but our Jaguar is 1.7 tonnes heavy, so that makes its p/w ratio identical to... let's say... Lancia Delta Integrale's! Basically, a Clubman Cup sort-of drive.

jaguar1.jpg

With that in mind I thought, okay, could we actually use it to clear several beginner races that appear early in the game? Well, yes, why not?! At 60 grand it is too expensive for a player starting out with 10 grand, but who cares, a bit of extra driving won't kill anyone, will it? Put some effort into golding your licence tests, sell the prize cars, and there, you'll be able to afford it.

There isn't anything special or original about buying an MX-5, Civic or Silvia as your first car, you know, choosing some cheap "garbage" for a buck and then moving up in rank. It was something when GT games first came out, but now unless I really WANT to drive these cars, I kinda want to try something else.

And Jaguar XJ Sport 3.2 is that something else. A powerful, heavy RWD V8, British made at that. How often do you get to drive something like that in a Clubman Cup? Never. I wonder how good the XJ is on this level of competition and how much "Sport" can we actually get!

I entered one race in the Clubman Cup and one in the RWD Cup, only to gave up soon after because of that stupid rubberband AI teasing me with its real-time power additions and reductions! You obviously can't measure your car's potential like that, so I decided to do a little ghost car comparison with the Delta Integrale.

You surely didn't think those two Jags running in front of a Delta on a pic above was just a coincidence, did you?

Okay, but... XJ vs Delta? Really? Isn't that... weird... like... what?!

Exactly. These two cars share nothing in common, absolutely nothing. It's like we're comparing not two nations or two planets, but Colorado potato beetle with a random dog, that sense of comparison.

And that's exactly why no automotive journalist would do it, because it makes no sense! But guess what, that's also exactly why we HAVE to do it! We're playing a video game. You can do all sorts of crazy stuff like that in a game. You could face Jag with Delta and nobody would ask you any questions. Because it is a game.

I'm not going to focus on the Delta, today it's just a measuring tool. But if you want to hear more about it, I think you're in luck because I plan on making a separate article for it. I actually have a lot to say about it.

On to Jag now. While I was racing against AI I noticed some of the gears have a wide setup. On Rome Circuit for instance, I was able to clear the entire race using only 2nd and 3rd gear, and on Clubman Route 5 there was no need to use any other gear except 3rd!

Everytime you change from 2nd to 3rd or you stay in higher gear, the needle likes to sink down to around 4000-4500 rpm. Which is a spot where you get the most torque out of the engine, but only about 200 hp, and that's not enough. You want to be close to 6500 where peak power amount is at and you still get around 85 % of the overall torque. But withot close gearbox, that's not going to happen often! I can see the gearbox being one of the first things I would replace.

Also, the car is pretty impressive to drive. While you're looking at it, you can see it has a wide track, long wheelbase and low center of gravity. Pretty good racing predispositions for a car that doesn't look like a racing material at all. And once you start driving it, you can really feel all that!

It is responsive and stable, with little to none body movements. The rear end sometims likes to step out after hard braking, but in most cases you can use that to your advantage, to make a faster turn around for the exit, it is not that kind of oversteer that makes you lose time on corners. Understeer is also mild, takes a minor effort to recover from it when it strikes.

xj3.2.jpg

I an see fishtailing could present a problem eventually, but at default spec it's fun to throw it around, something to look forward to when you get sick of pure grip driving style. Recently I tested two AMG saloons and I find the XJ to be more interesting to drive.

I think the "Sport" label if 100% justified. But what about Delta?

It was slower on straights. Okay, that didn't bother me. But it was also slower on corners. What, really?! Yes, it couldn't keep up! The best I could do following XJ's ghost of mine at Seattle Short was reduce final difference from 1.1 to about 0.6 seconds, but I never managed to actually beat it!

I could approach the Jag while it was skidding around, by-the-book grip driving may gave it 1 or 2 kph of advantage at the apex, but that was all. The XJ can corner fast and it shows. Low center of gravity seems to be the most beneficial factor on this car, but I'm sure long wheelbase also plays important role.

We established that the XJ is a good car. But the main reason why nobody is going to talk about it has a lot to do with its styling. And I'm not talking about overal design, shape, colours and other elements. Those are all great. I find it refreshing too, it's not your typical corporate suit/black briefcases/corpse in the trunk theme you typically get from BMW or Mercedes-Benz. Oh no, this is 100% original.

But no, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about IMPRESSION. Uh, that's a tough one. Your eyes are to blame here.

Glance at the car. How does it look like? Does it look like it has a place on a circuit?

No.

Does it look like it wants to be parked in front of a big British mansion, in some isolated evergreen area where rich snobs ride horses, drink wine and wear gloves all the time?

Yes.

Add modest power output and heavy body to the paste, blend everything and ta-da!! A smoothie nobody is going to try just because it LOOKS awful.

It's all about giving chances, trying out. You gotta make that step, you just gotta do it.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Do you like this styling?

It closely resembles the blocky shape of the Virage released in the late 1980s. It makes sense because Vantage was a performance upgrade to the Virage. Designers gave it more layers of skin, rounded off a few edges, and allowed it to be on sale until the year 2000.

Witnessing cars transforming from cubes and cuboids into something with a curve wasn't unusual in the early 90s, but on this model it looked like the curving attempt wasn't standalone, new idea, but a basic set of add-ons to a blocky template. It just makes the car look weird. It makes me think of the Daewoo Nexia, a budget car that survived transition to 21st century despite using Opel Kadett profile.

The only effect these changes did to the Vantage was they made it look fat. And fat leads to kilograms. Lots of kilograms. The Vantage is not ashamed of the load it carries. But you will be. The more I look at it, the more I feel discouraged to ever take it out to a track. And I haven't even purchased it yet. I'm still just looking.

BUT... if you want a big V8 mated to a pair of superchargers... I guess you don't mind if your car looks like an elephant as long as it runs like an antelope. The 5.3 liter engine makes over 700 Nm of torque, majority of it being available from 2000 to 5000 rpm. Strong acceleration is never going to be a problem. The traction could be, that mainly depends on who's driving the car.

GT2 supports very good analog function for PS1 controllers with analog sticks. You can use left or right stick to modulate throttle as precisely as you want. And that's exactly what you should do if losing a race is not an option for you. Relying on digital inputs from X and Square buttons is just not going to work.

vantage.jpg

Unless you take down as much weight as possible, your cornering potential will remain immensely limited. You'll be outperformed by almost any other light car. Tires will wear out at supersonic pace. This car won't make you fast, so leave speed ideas behind. It can make you a better driver, but it takes time and patience to reach that level. It's a process, not a 2-lap quicky.

I was satisfied seeing decent resistance to four-wheel sliding, definetly higher than I was expecting, but rushing to 1st place to soon can lead very quickly to accidents since Vantage wasn't made to sustain average Joe's tetchy bulls*** approach to driving. You primary objective on every corner is to remember how much the car weighs. Your secondary objective is to resist temptation to keep up with Honda NSX. Fail at any of these and you'll keep slipping and sliding for the rest of the race.

Sometimes I like to pretend I don't see price tags of certain cars. The Vantage's goes up to half-million credits. Thank God it's easy to rack up such amount within few minutes already, that's all I can say.

I can think of many cars from GT2 that are tricky to drive, but also fully rewarding because they give you opportunity to invest in yourself and beat the barrier ahead with nothing but pure effort.

The Vantage isn't in that gruop. It could have been but I decided to leave it out because I did not fell rewarded for driving it. Maybe I would need to spend few more days putting myself in various situations to reverse my feelings, one day doesn't seem enough, not for the Vantage.

Last edited:

Super Touring Special - 18 Cars on the Test!​

Lots of cars, so I decided to split this into groups, three cars per group with large breaks between group testings, no crossovers.

I was aiming for 3.67 p/w ratio, that's how the cars were tuned. Some cars couldn't reach it, but performed fairly okay despite disadvantage. I installed all the best parts into each car and used mufflers, ROM and NA tune stages to get to the p/w ratio as close as possible. You can check the list of parts installed and the settings I used for each car in the spoiler below.

Suspension - Fully cust.
Sports tires
Brakes - Racing, Controller too
Gearbox - Fully cust.
Clutch - Triple-plate
Drivesharft - Standard
Flywheel - Racing
Port Polish, Engine Balance - Both done
Displacement - None
Differential - 1.5 way
ASCC/TSCC - No
Weight lvl. 3 and R. modifications - All yes

Mufflers, ROM and NA stages combined to reach 3.67 p/w.

Spring ratio = 7.0-7.0
Ride height = 110-110
Bound = 4-4
Rebound = 7-7
Camber = 2.0-1.0
Toe = 0.0
Stabilisers = 3-3

Brakes = 12-12

Gears = Auto set to 12

Aero = 0.30-0.50

Below you can find my thoughts, I tried to highlight major charachteristics of each car and some general things you can conclude after running few laps. If you want the list of best lap times and car stats, check the table below the reviews. The photos captured inside the dealership were taken by @C_Raccoon23 , you can check his GT2 album here.

GROUP 1
G1-155-corona-accord96.jpg

Alfa 155

Of the three it had the strongest tug-towards-the-inside effect everytime I pressed the acceleration pedal down. The car's responsivness also tops that of its group rivals. The tugging effect is welcome to have, but the responsivness... it depends; on bumpy tracks like Deep Forest quick changes in directions add some twitchiness to the ride and reduce aiming on turn-ins, as the car proved to me on several painful occasions. Pretty competitive overall, but lacked few more ponies to keep up with the rest on the hilly sections.

Accord '96

Under hard braking (i.e. when coming from a speedy straightway to a sharp 90 or 180 corner) it intended to fishtail. This can help you quickly position the car for the exit launch. It had the lowest weight-transition understeer. Very good overall grip despite being the heaviest of the three. Don't get too carried away though, on high-speed corners sometimes you won't be able to clear the curve at the same speed as the 155.

Corona

Stable during braking and acceleration sequences, but sometimes it tended to understeer so bad it would ruin my lap time by a whole second. Usually it happens during switch from brake to throttle pedal, but it depends on a corner too. You never know.

GROUP 2
g2-primera90-406-laguna.jpg

Primera '95

Very tight turning radius, probably the strongest and most noticeable merit of this car. Occasionaly likes to pull towards the inside when applying the throttle. Sometimes shows desire to go sideways, but that never grows above a mere wish. It would have been an excellent car if there wasn't high weight-transition understeer (front going to the rear).

Laguna

A bit nervous over smaller bumps, noticeable body roll, fells too soft once the weight shifts towards the outside tires. It could use a better suspension setup, this one isn't doing much good to the car. Lots of weight can throw you off at high speed cornering. High level of weight-transition understeer. Oddly enough, it tends to be fast and quite consistent in setting lap times.

Rigid body, good roll resistance. Good communication between the springs and the chassis. Pinpointing apexes is kinda fun. Tends to be quite competitive, though it could use just a little bit more grip on the front axle to make the Primera '95 sweat. Soothening exhast note makes the 406 look like a baby sucking on a pacifier.

GROUP 3
g3-vectra-mondeo-accord98.jpg

Mondeo

Bouncy son of a gun, could use softer suspension setup, it loses too much speed going over bumps. During rear-to-front weight transition, apply just a little bit of throttle, gently, it will prevent uneccesary shifts from selected cornering line. It can be very fast even if doesn't feel like it.

Vectra

A highly capable car with a danger of understeering somewhere around the apex. Just when you're about to set a super fast lap. It will warn you, it does that, but you have to listen! Hard braking or sharp steering combined with fully opened throttle leads to drifting that makes time trialing the car quite interesting experience. With just a little bit of skill it is dangerously fast, potential candidate for a sub 1'17 entry.

Accord '98

Its braking stability is excellent, and the front grip does't change as you travel through a corner - good news for dive-bombers. The chassis can quickly adapt to sudden changes in weight shift which is nice, especially during high-speed cornering. It is slow though, the engine needs more zest.

GROUP 4
g4-323-a4-primera90.jpg

Primera '90

Glued to the road, immediate response from the wheel, predictable and easy to drive very fast even for amateur drivers. Vulnareable to understeer at high-sped cornering, mostly after the apex and before you can see the exit stretching out. Can't be 100% certain, but it drives almost the same as the '95 model.

323F

Slow, needs more power, more torque, couldn't keep up with the Primera. Capable cornering skills, sufficient amount of grip, consistent throughout the turn. For its weight and the setup it has a good bump absorbtion, it is on the opposite side of the spectrum from those light, responsive tourers that like to skip around.

A4 2.8

Being an all-wheel drive car it feels like a cheating tool. Even though it doesn't grip the road more than its FWD companions, the front tires work LESS since some of the power goes to the rear axle and as a result, you get more rotation on every weight shift towards the front and less unpredictable occurences on the front grip overall. It isn't impossible to beat, but very unlikely you'll be able to do it without further handcuffing its power or tire grip.

GROUP 5
g5-neon-156v6-is200.jpg

IS200

Needs more power, the RS200 Altezza could be a better candidate for a touring conversion since it gets more power from NA parts. RWD configuration, guys! Braking drifts possible, just don't slide around for too long 'cause you'll lose speed for the exit. Six-speed gearbox? Yep, you get that too! It's a rare feat in this class, so use it to your advantage. Understeer is only mild, but because turning radius isn't anything special, it may appear as the car understeers more than it actually does. During high-speed cornering you get to feel that 50-50 weight distribution effect which encourages you to push it harder next time.

Alfa 156 V6

Sticky feeling, good bump absorption at the cost of responsivness. Pushing to the limit will unsettle the chassis, wait for its composure before you hammer the throttle again. Normally it doesn't suffer from too much understeer, and you get a six-speed gearbox. Still, quite toned down touring experince, needs more work.

Neon

Compared to the 156 it feels so light and unstrained. It loves to be driven around technical corners. Not bouncy as I was expecting. Beware of understeer that strikes after hard braking. The sooner you switch to acceleration and the smoother you deal with that transition, the better cornering will be. Skilfull players will easily bring the USA's only touring competitor to the pedestal.

GROUP 6
g6-ferio-320ci-chaser.jpg

320Ci

So much torque there. It has a lot of weight, but so does the speed. Turning is average, but because of the RWD configuration, you can tweak your line at the corner entry; taking the foot of your throttle combined with sharp steering movements will decide by how much. Braking drifts are doable. Suspension could use better tweaking, the car feel nervous when going over small crests. Nervous, but not bouncy overall, so I suspect bound-rebound setup could be your starting point.

Civic Ferio '93

Despite being impressively light, it also has that massive shortage of both power and torque, so you have to put everything you got into your cornering skills. Every gear change, every line selection, absolutely everything has to be perfect, you can't **** around, otherwise results on the lap timer will make you regret choosing the Ferio. Overall handling is great, nothing special to point out, so train hard to make the best out of it. You can reduce its disadvantages to the highest extent posible by facing rivals on tracks with short straightways and lots of medium-speed corners connecting each.

Chaser S

Addictive to drive, I just kept on running the course over and over again. Probably because of that low gravity-wide body-long wheelbase combo that is unique to the Chaser and maybe few other saloons of its type. Those last inches of braking period will easily trigger sideways motion that you can maintain by power-steering the car. This is not limited to slow-speed corners only, so make sure you never overshoot with the angle as you will spin out spectaculously! It has a bit more understeer compared to the BMW, and the turbocharger reduces some of its speed after each shift due to time needed for turbocharger to spin again.

That's all, folks! I could have included few other models, but I didn't want to go too far into this. At first, I wasn't even considering anything outside BTCC selection, so the fact I even got to RWDs is far beyond my initial plans.

And I could not review all the Primeras out there. I just couldn't do it, guys. Reviewing two was the apex of my possibilities, so I had to ditch out the '98 model. Hopefully I'm not missing anything special, let me know if I do.

All these cars can be fast and tuned to match your driving preferences and entertainemnt demands, that's how the GT2 physics works, it is just that some of these cars will make that job harder, and some will make it easier.

Code:
Track: Deep Forest Normal
Torque expressed in kgm, weight in kg, power in hp
Sorted by lap time

Time - power - torque - weight - drivetrain - car name

1'17.482 - 308 - 39.1 - 1229 - fr - 320ci
1'17.827 - 323 - 37.4 - 1221 - 4x - A4 2.8
1'18.032 - 323 - 38.9 - 1196 - fr - Chaser S
1'18.139 - 269 - 28.3 - 1003 - ff - Neon ACR
1'18.233 - 282 - 29.6 - 1052 - ff - Primera '95
1'18.248 - 312 - 35.4 - 1177 - ff - Vectra
1'18.280 - 321 - 33.3 - 1194 - ff - Mondeo
1'18.395 - 284 - 29.9 - 1079 - ff - Primera '90
1'18.657 - 319 - 35.4 - 1187 - ff - 406
1'18.893 - 279 - 29.0 - 1144 - fr - IS200
1'18.905 - 302 - 30.2 - 1127 - ff - 156 V6
1'19.003 - 318 - 32.1 - 1272 - ff - Accord '96
1'19.019 - 333 - 36.4 - 1255 - ff - Laguna
1'19.326 - 236 - 22.5 - 0920 - ff - Civic Ferio '93
1'19.360 - 286 - 27.4 - 1070 - ff - Corona
1'19.406 - 270 - 29.0 - 1110 - ff - Alfa 155
1'19.416 - 295 - 28.7 - 1110 - ff - Accord '98
1'19.557 - 283 - 25.7 - 1058 - ff - 323f

Leaderboard looks about right. 323f is definitely an under-performer despite its power-to-weight ratio unfortunately. I think the Civic Ferio deserves a lot of credit for being within a second of cars with 80-100hp more than it. Brilliant car for 195hp and 245hp races, but the VTi outdoes it for 295hp. Same for the Neon too. The 406 and Laguna being the slowest 300+hp cars makes sense, I found them to be incredibly dull performance-wise. The Primera's caught me off guard when I tested them, surprisingly good handling and acceleration.

Regarding car choices, the Accord Type R that you win from Luxury Sedan race 1 can be racing modded and is a lot better than the dealership Accord's IMO. The 156 16V TS also ends up with a better power-to-weight ratio than the V6, but its power band is narrower with the stage 3 turbo and needs close gears to really shine. I don't think you missed much with the '98 Primera, it feels a lot slower than the older models. You need close gears along with running it right up to the rev limiter to get as much power out of it as possible.

Shelby Cobra 427 '66

"Why is this car such a bitch to drive? Why it doesn’t want to cooperate?"

Somebody posted this many, many years ago. I’m not sure on what forum, but I remember he only had like two posts in total or maybe even one, so he must had been really upset with his car, popped up only to vent off on a public place. You can tell even now from the questions alone that he and his Cobra have gone through some serious sh** together!

The Cobra doesn’t drive equally in all games, in some it is more manageable than in others. It always depends on the physics engine, range of driving assists, etc.

But in all these games it is generally seen as a fast car with some tricky handling that requires advanced driving skills or at least higher level of awareness.

And when I say fast, I mean fast by American quarter mile standards. How quickly can you clear one short, straight portion of the tarmac? No mention of any cornering. And that’s where our problems lie because our game is packed with tracks that curve. Your life as Cobra owner is not going to be easy in this game.

I tried driving the Cobra on Simulation rubber because those provide the highest level of challenge than any other, should be the closest match to tires that real Cobra had stock AND, it is the easiest way to feel what our guy from the beginning of the article had to face driving this car.

cobra.jpg

This is how I would describe a situation in which an average player is facing Cobra for the first time:

You’re about to reach apex of a corner. You feel the car is trying to move away from your line and check out what’s going on in the surrounding sandpits. You’re not interested, so you close the throttle for a brief time and wait until understeer goes away.

Okay, it is still present, but the car seems to be more or less under your control and there is plenty of tarmac left for you. So you apply the throttle again. That only makes things worse as the car starts submerging into understeer abyss at increased rate, because of the additional shift in weight distribution you just caused. It is too late, the Cobra has bitten you. You have already lost.

But that’s not what You think. You think you’ll make it through. Because You are such a good GT2 driver. You had the skills to gold all the license tests, tune the sh** out of any mid-ship monster and beat the crap out of your friends in split-screen mode. You're so awesome... how could You possibly fail at this?

But You can and You will because You never had a time with Simulation tires. You never had a patience to drive on track at reduced pace. You always relied on your racing slicks and driving assists which in GT2 don’t do anything anyway. You always keep your downforce setting high because you want the highest grip possible. You want to fuc**** fly!

And now You just used your brakes because that's the best thing You can come up with. You and your Cobra are about to jump into sandpit and hit an outer wall. BAM! That will add 3 seconds to your lap time.

You’re so overwhelmed with what just happened. You're still on the road, clearing a corner after a corner but mistakes keep returning, again and again! All of a sudden, your lap time is garbage. A disgrace! Outrageous! You are pissed, You exit the event and proceed to sell you car, that stupid car that dares to mock your abilities.

Okay, this is mildly exaggerated (to say the least), but the truth is that majority of players simply don't have enough patience and time to play around with a car like Cobra, unless they really want to!

Coupe.jpg
A racing Cobra.

I also want to say that the Cobra understeers A LOT in this game. Much more than I was expecting. We still have to pay attention to grip on the rear axle, but the prime problem is what’s going on with the front end.

The key is to hold back from accelerating until your speed drops down more than you would normally let it, OR, you can apply the handbrake at the turn-in and make the Cobra go sideways at the corner entry. Regarding the latter, proper angle and the way you control it becomes an imperative as you don’t want to spin out or let the front end steer the car back to direction you don’t want it to go. Of course, entry speed and line selection need to be well calculated as well, otherwise you’re just going to slide off into a sandpit.

Only the sky is the limit to how much poison the Cobra will spit at you. You can complain and be mad about it all day long, but her attitude won’t change. The Cobra is what it is and if you don’t like it, pick any of other 600+ cars. It’s not like the Cobra is obligatory to drive. It’s just a prize car, a gift. A gift that keeps on giving.

And that’s why you won’t leave it, right? You want to tackle that bitch and show her who’s really in control. But that’s a wrong approach to Cobra, man. SHE is in control, not you. You THINK you’re in control because you’re the one holding the controller. And you know what the Cobra does to people who think? She smashes them into a wall, she makes them lose races. She makes them rage out of control and become a threat to the TV and any other handle-with-care objects. Thinking is for philosophers and people who do those drawing stuff on flipchart boards with markers. And the Cobra has a particular way to treat does, trust me.

You don’t think, you LISTEN to her commands. If you comply, you’ll go around every track as swiftly as the physics will allow, and at pretty impressive pace too. Before you know it, you’ll be one or two level better driver, trained to deal with anything any other car can come up with. Disobey and... you're gonna need all the slicks and assists you can think of.

If you don't want to try hard too much, but somehow want a Cobra in your life, there is an easy solution. You know that part from The Fast and the Furious movie when Dominic says: “I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters... For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.”?

I believe that’s what you should think about whenever you feel she’s giving you more than you can handle.

Old muscle cars have no problem picking up speed and the Cobra is no exception there, especially when she’s so terrifyingly light compared to some of her peers. Shift into 4th gear, launch the car from low rpm and watch how much it takes to reach the top speed of 138 mph. She’s insanely fast. So stick with drag racing. That’s about the only time when Cobra is willing to bite somebody else other than you.

Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 Twin Spark

It's year 2007, Monday morning, 8:00 AM. I'm awake, lying on my bed. The clock is ticking.

Tick... tack... tick... tack.

I wish it could stop. But it doesn't want to stop! Tick... TACK. Every once in a while I get to hear louder output sound of my clock needle moving.

Tick... tack... TICK... tack.

Just... STOP! Why I'm suddenly so upset about relentless ticking of my clock? It has been doing that since I bought it! Yet it's making me super nervous.

Maybe I just need a digital clock. Or maybe because with each passing second I keep getting more and more late to the class. My teacher is gonna wreck me. The fear of being verbally punished in front of my peers is almost unbearable.

But I can't get up because I feel like sh**. Runny nose, headache, possibly high temperature. My stomach hurts too. Typical sympotms of a Saturday night fever. Dang, I must have caught something during the craze. God damn those birthday parties! Haven't even tried the cake...

Being sick wouldn't be a problem if I was always on time. But I wasn't, and now when I could really explain my absence, I no longer have any credits left for the teacher to understand my condition.

I guess I'll turn on my TV and watch some Kommissar Rex.

Yeah, that will do. Lying on my bed and watching TV. That will fix all your problems, Matej.

But Kommissar Rex has a dog in it. They say dogs have healing powers. Hopefully some of it gets through the screen to my aid. I quickly need to recover. And figure out how to deal with the teacher.

As my screen came on, I came to a part of the episode that would remain in my memory for years to come. Instead of just talking about it, I'll post a clip I thankfully found on Youtube. Watch the first three minutes.

Before I realized, I stood on my feat and fired up GT2. All clobbered from Saturday's event, I was now seating in front of the TV (no longer lying on the bed, improvement!), holding the controller in my hands.

The dog didn't do anything. It was the Alfa 155 I saw in the video. And now I wanted one. I bought the 2.0 Twin Spark model and went on to do some racing. Didn't matter where or against whom, I just wanted to race somebody somewhere. To beat the sh** out of a random dude like officer Moser did.

If I was any older at that time, I'm sure a video game wouldn't be enough to satisfy my appetites. What I saw would make me consider buying this car. Even now if I think about it, I'm kinda tempted to search used market and see if any is available for sale.

My fondness for the car didn't come from a track. Most guys who loved an 155 at the time loved it because of its amazing performance in touring championships. And I understand that, who wouldn't want a car whose racing version kicked asses on the track?

But there was a catch on my part. I was a specific son of a gun. If I wanted to enjoy driving that DTM version, I needed at least a slight percent of chance I'll be able to drive it in real life. But seeing that 11000+ rpm aerodynamic beast storming around famous EU tracks seemed so distant from me, like a star on the sky that glimmers in night.

I couldn't even be a track marshall if I wanted to, let alone somebody that gets to drive a race car. So driving it in a video game couldn't substitute anything. It would only rub it in further.

155_2.jpg
Nobody wants to see THAT in his rear-view mirror!

But I could be a trench coat-dressed civilian taking his daily ride to a sporty dogfight. That's something I CAN achieve. All I need to do is study hard. And be on time.

I kept the 2.0 155 in my garage for some time. And then it was gone.

I found a new car to aspire to. And then another one after that. All within a period of two weeks. What can I say, the world's greatest randomizer, a youngster's mind.

Wait... how is this car anyway? This is supposed to be a REVIEW, and we haven't seen much of it! XD

The car feels responsive to steer and has a good amount of grip on both axles. Gears inside the transmission are close to each other and you can almost quick shift through all of them.

I dare to say that's the minimum I want from this car since it is lacking in power-to-weight department. 150hp? 1300 kg? Hm... I'm not sure that's adequate. We are not driving on public roads. We're on a track and track marshalls do not seem to be present at the moment. We can push it hard, guys! But I kinda need more speed to do that. I guess we'll just have to resort to power mods again.

155-11.jpg155-1.jpg155.jpg
Some in-der-Fahrschule-Moser-mode attempts.

Aside from power, you could also upgrade suspension while you're at it. The default one is perfectly capable to fulfill Moser's ambition to catch up with fleeing lawbreakers before Rex takes a bite out of them. But we have much tougher opponents to deal with – AI drivers pushing way harder than any villain could ever do. So maybe making the spring ratio between the front and rear more even could be a good idea. That should remove some of the understeer that occurs under harder braking. Later on, you can also reduce body roll by lowering the ride height, it doesn't need to be that high.

This car is super affordable, it is rated at 11+ grand. Maybe I would be happier if it was slightly more cheaper, below 10 grand perhaps, so that I can use Alfa Romeo as my first car, but... I won't complain. We can't get everything.

There are many other cars out there that are better on paper and timer, but do not have Alfa Romeo badge and a TV series cameo.

Ask your teacher how much that worths. I bet you'll be surprised with the answer.

I was thinking about trying something different for a change. What cars do you guys want me to review next? Add some models and I'll make a video on them, do some test drive and capture the footage in real time as I drive them. So it will be like a Twitch stream without the stream part. :lol: You can PM me, send me your wishes here or on the status screen.

I decided to try something different and wrote an article on Medium. It reviews two convertibles I always wanted to compare and with GT2's engaging physics I finally got time to do it the way I wanted to. It is a bit different in tone and contains elements of what may hopefully be a prologue of things to come.

Wow, is that your picture in the article, Matej? Nice, you're a handsome guy. I'd post my pic but I look like an ogre. :lol:

I love the read. Barchetta versus Miata. How did you get these pics? They're not from a camera, that's for sure.

True, the Barchetta is a little boat. Thing is, if you drove it in GT4 instead of GT2 there'd be a LOT more understeer. While the Mazda would hardly understeer at all, but also there'd hardly be any of the "fun" oversteer, know what I mean? PD forgot how oversteer is supposed to be fun (sometimes frustrating) while making the 4th game. Whereas in the 2nd game, 5th game and later, PD perfected how oversteer works again. But if you drove Barchetta against MX-5 in GT4, both with the same parts and tires, and weight/power about the same, the Mazda would crush.

Except for the extra air time I would love to see gone, I AM in control. This is good… very good actually. My cornering trajectory is very smooth and consistent. Except for the extra air time I would love to see gone, I AM in control. This is good… very good actually. My cornering trajectory is very smooth and consistent. I’m playing with the pedals up and down like some amateur piano dude, yet nothing bad is happening, I just keep following the line I want. Is my boat becoming a quality measure of the front-wheelers? That would be new!

Man, you're a good writer. There are a lot of factors about writing which are important: spelling, grammar, sentence structure, telling a story, but what you've got going on is style. You're really good with just capturing my attention because of the way writing about simply going over a speed bump becomes much more than just a speed bump.

Plus you call cars "horses". :lol:

What tires are you using for these races?

Last edited:
Wow, is that your picture in the article, Matej? Nice, you're a handsome guy. I'd post my pic but I look like an ogre. :lol:
That picture was taken by a pro photographer, so it kinda puts me in the best light possible. I usually look worse than that, believe me. :lol:

I love the read. Barchetta versus Miata. How did you get these pics? They're not from a camera, that's for sure.
I used emulator to capture shots, it's the easiest and quickest way to do it.

True, the Barchetta is a little boat. Thing is, if you drove it in GT4 instead of GT2 there'd be a LOT more understeer. While the Mazda would hardly understeer at all, but also there'd hardly be any of the "fun" oversteer, know what I mean? PD forgot how oversteer is supposed to be fun (sometimes frustrating) while making the 4th game. Whereas in the 2nd game, 5th game and later, PD perfected how oversteer works again. But if you drove Barchetta against MX-5 in GT4, both with the same parts and tires, and weight/power about the same, the Mazda would crush.
At one point I was so close to reviewing both in GT4 because of the interior shots, but managed to restrain myself on time. Yeah, the physics aren't as fun, I felt it would kill off some of the immersion I got otherwise.

What tires are you using for these races?
Simulation for both cars, although on the Fiat's rear axle I left the default ones. That's something I've recently begun doing, it helps eliminate that exaggerated front grip on fwd cars, where cars want to torque-steer all the time.

Parnelli and Matej, I love that you're both still on here discussing GT2 cars. I rediscovered it recently and have been playing it obsessively, far more than when it first released. Top 10 game for me. Parnelli, your car review site is a permanent fixture on my phone, and Matej, you've got a really engaging style so I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews. Between the two of you, you've opened my eyes to some of the amazing sleeper cars in the game, and to the value in not just going straight to the fastest tuning configuration.

I wanted to echo Matej's thoughts about the Barchetta - it's such a charming and fun car to drive in a range of configurations, and I've kept it around long after selling off a whole slew of more capable cars.

I also wanted to throw in my endorsement of the Jaguar XJ Sport, which I saw you reviewed a while ago Matej - it's deceptively quick, fun to tune, and engaging to drive. I got a giggle out of winning with it at the tuned turbo test course race against the HKS Drag 180SX (by about .01 of a second).

If you're comfortable playing via emulator, I HIGHLY recommend trying pez2k's GT2+ mod, which among other things adds an Audi A4 wagon to the game (it's a prize car for the 450hp German national GT race). It's not particularly quick at under 350hp max with high weight, but so fun to drift around tracks against cars with a lot more power. It's become one of my absolute favourite cars in the game.

Last edited:
The physics on the A4 Avant are actually the standard physics for the A4 2.8 saloon in retail GT2 as far as I recall - the model switch was presumably late enough that they forgot to make it lower and lighter when they removed all of that extra luggage space. The saloon in the original game should deliver almost all of the fun of the Avant, just without the 2-box looks, whereas in the mod it'll be slightly more nimble.

Ah, great to know! I wondered what you'd used as the basis for the wagon physics but I never got around to trying any Audis in the vanilla game (and haven't tried the saloon in your mod yet either) so had no reference point.

Anyway, I'm glad it's there - tuned to about 250hp on mid-range tyres it's one of my favourite cars for 500-600hp races outside the GT300. I'm sure the saloon is great but I'd probably ruin the fun by race-modding it. :)

If you're comfortable playing via emulator, I HIGHLY recommend trying pez2k's GT2+ mod, which among other things adds an Audi A4 wagon to the game (it's a prize car for the 450hp German national GT race). It's not particularly quick at under 350hp max with high weight, but so fun to drift around tracks against cars with a lot more power. It's become one of my absolute favourite cars in the game.
I actually considered doing this, and even have a list of candidates that I would love to review. With that being said, are any of the hidden RUFs available in the mod naturally aspirated?

And thanks for the feedback, I always feel eager to drive something slower and more common, probably because I've been around these cars in everyday life and feel more connected to them. Not so long ago I almost wrote another review for the Cinquecento, that would have been third, thankfully I managed to restrain myself on time. :boggled:

Parnelli and I got in touch because of my complaint about Daihatsu Move, that's all I will say. :lol:

Ha, I have a garage full of Fiats but have only driven the Barchetta so far, apart from a spin in the Coupe when the game first released. Sounds like I need to get around to the 500. :)

I'm a Daihatsu neophyte but now I'm intrigued to try the Move. :D And sorry, no idea about the RUFs.

At the moment I'm collecting RX-7s. I have 14 so far, from all three generations, and each one is amazing to drive - fast, fun, and controllable. I think the FD A-Spec LM and Amemiya GT might just be the best fast cars in the game - not quite as dominant as the other two FD LMs, but competitive in Worlds and All-Stars.

Last edited:
I actually considered doing this, and even have a list of candidates that I would love to review. With that being said, are any of the hidden RUFs available in the mod naturally aspirated?

The CR4 is naturally aspirated, it's more or less a 964 Carrera 4 with a touch more power.

The rest are all turbocharged - the BR2 / BR4 are both lightly tuned 964 Turbo 3.3s with the standard 2WD and a 4WD conversion respectively, whereas the BTR4 is basically everything Ruf offered for the 964 poured into one car, with a big turbo 3.8, 4WD, and the EKS automated manual transmission (a very early version of the sort of box used in the Enzo etc).

Back