GT2 Weekly Challenge: Special Events

• Thread starter gt3kid89
  • 180 comments
Paraguay
Asunción
Hi, everyone, welcome to my new GT2 Championship Series. Based on the actually inactive GTP GT2 Weekly Series, i wanted to create a series. But this one is special. I want to recreate all the GT2 Special Events (Sunday Cup, GT500,etc.)

Rules:
- Each event will have a car and/or power limitation. I will post a list of the cars allowed for every race.
- You can mail me your times. They must include: (name of the car you used) (sector 1 fastest time) (sector 2 fastest time) (sector 3 fastest time) (final fastest time). Optionally, you can include the upgrades that you put in your car or even, you can send me a video of your fast lap.
-Expect me to sometimes not be too active (because school:mad:)
-Each weekend, i will post the top 20 best times for each round.
- Wallriding is prohibited. You must keep at least 2 wheels on the track if you spinout. And no, you can't use the Escudo (except for one event i will do later).
- You have a minimum 7 days to mail your times. After that, i will be choosing the best times and posting them.
- Also.... NO HYBRIDS ALLOWED

SO, LET'S START WITH:

THE SUNDAY CUP!:D

Every player's gateway to the GT world, in this event rookie drivers race each other with hopes of being the World Champion.

So: the first round is:
TAHITI ROAD.

Cars allowed: Any used car from Day 1. Set yourself a 10.000 credit limit for buying and upgrading your used machine. (Example: 1993 Supra, 3 Door Civic, Nissan Silvia ,etc.)

Upgrades allowed: Any upgrade in the 10.000 credit limit. Try not to buy a expensive car, you are gonna need some cash for tuning!

MAIL ME YOUR BEST TIMES, HAVE FUN!:):)

Last edited:
So, it looks like we're doing hotlaps, not actually entering the event, right?

And, don't want you to get your hopes up too much, there may be 3-5 other participants, definitely not 20...

Yeah, I was guessing running in Simulation, and then just reporting sector times for single best lap. Maybe out of 10? Is that too few? Including tuning test laps? Or maybe just do tuning at another track...

Submitted my time, and if this is helpful, day 1 cars are different depending whether you play NTSC or PAL (not sure about J), so I thought I'd add this list of cars available either PAL or NTSC and the cheaper cost, and I'd say just use anything you like off this list for the price listed. NTSC doesn't get Silvia K's 1800cc, Supra Twinturbo-R or Civic 3 Door Si '93, and PAL doesn't get Pulsar Gti-R, for example.

from cheapest to most expensive:
2492 Cr Silvia Q's 1800cc '88 (PAL)
2945 Cr Starlet 3 Door Turbo S '87 (NTSC)
3225 Cr Protégé 4Door Sedan '89 (PAL)
3424 Cr Micra Super Turbo '89 (PAL)
3535 Cr Starlet 3 Door Turbo S '82 (NTSC)
3885 Cr Infiniti G20 2.0Te '91 aka Primera GT '90 (NTSC)
3967 Cr Silvia Q's 2000cc '91 (NTSC)
4084 Cr Celica GT-R '91 (PAL)
4098 Cr Silvia K's 1800cc '88 (PAL)
4225 Cr Supra (Turbo) '93 (NTSC)
4641 Cr Protégé GT-X '92 aka 323 GT-X (PAL)
4886 Cr Skyline GTS25 Type S '91 (PAL)
5068 Cr Mirage Cyborg R '92 (NTSC)
5489 Cr MR2 1600G-Limited '86 (PAL)
5568 Cr Prelude Si '93 (NTSC)
5568 Cr del Sol S '93 (PAL)
5602 Cr Levin GT-APEX (Type II) '85 (PAL)
5603 Cr Civic CRX Si '91 (NTSC)
5818 Cr Skyline GTS4 '91 (PAL)
5833 Cr Prelude VTEC '94 aka 2.2VTEC '91 (NTSC)
6046 Cr Trueno GT-APEX (Type II) '85 (PAL)
6177 Cr Levin GT-APEX (Type I) '83 (NTSC)
6523 Cr RX-7 GT-X '90 (PAL)
6777 Cr Civic Sedan '93 (NTSC)
6905 Cr 323F Coupe Type-R '93 (NTSC)
7112 Cr del Sol Vgi '95 (NTSC)
7214 Cr Skyline 2000 RS-X '84 (PAL)
7276 Cr Skyline GTS-t Type M '91 (PAL)
7550 Cr Silvia K's 2000cc '91 (NTSC)
7618 Cr Celica GT-Four '88 (NTSC)
7671 Cr FTO GR '94 (PAL)
7696 Cr MX-5 Miata '93 (NTSC)
7838 Cr Pulsar Gti-R '91 (NTSC)
8077 Cr Primera GT '95 (PAL)
8163 Cr del Sol SiR '95 (NTSC)
8455 Cr Levin BZG '96 (PAL)
8474 Cr Mirage Asti RX '96 (PAL)
8877 Cr RX-7 Infini III '90 (PAL)
9341 Cr Mark II Tourer S '92 (PAL)
9405 Cr Supra Twinturbo-R '91 (PAL)
9511 Cr Civic 3 Door Si '93 (NTSC)
9527 Cr Starlet Glanza V '96 (NTSC)
9881 Cr Celica GT-Four RC '91 (NTSC)

You can have 2 warming laps and then how many laps as you want to set your best time:). You can do it in Arcade Mode Time Trial.

i have the NTSC version and i have the Pulsar, FTO, Micra Turbo and Mirage in day 1:confused:

Ah, yes, my list is a bit confusing... the NTSC/PAL after each car is to say which version has it for cheaper (if at all...) You should notice that the NTSC prices for those cars is a little higher than the price I listed above... The Mirage Asti for example in NTSC costs 8990, leaving you just 1000 CR to spend, but in PAL it is 8474, giving you a couple more tuning options with 1500 Cr left.

OK, here's the times that you mailed me:

Winner: jeffgoddin:cheers:
Car used: Nissan Silvia K's 1800cc with racing flywheel and Turbo-1.
S1 time: 15:055
S2 time: 32:059
S3 time: 52:172
Total: 1:13:275.

2nd place: samgt
Car used: Nissan Skyline GTS25 with NA1.
S1 time: 15:432
S2 time: 17:467
S3 time: 21: 171
Total: 1:16:400

Next challenge coming up!:cool:

I was hoping somebody would try the Supra '93 with turbo-1 and (race flywheel or weight reduction) or the Supra Twinturbo-R with the first flywheel, in the right hands either of those cars could have been a little faster than my Silvia K's 1800cc... and the Skyline GTS-t Type M with weight reduction and racing flywheel would have been the best Skyline choice, and probably only 0.3-0.4 slower than the Silvia.

Well hopefully there will be some more competition in the next round, and why not try yourself, @gt3kid89 ?

I did it myself and this is my time:
Car: '93 Supra with weight reduction, racing flywheel and turbo-1.
S1 time: 0:16:690
S2 time: 0:19:246
S3 time: 0:21:292
S4 time: 0:22:502
Total time: 1:19:730 (pretty slow time due to crappy driving:yuck: and not being used to the fishtailing Supra:indiff:)

Last edited:
OK, here's the next race:

RED ROCK VALLEY!

After you won the Tahiti Road race, you want to race more and earn money. So, you head onto this amazing NASCAR-road course hybrid track that sadly never showed up in another GT game:tdown: (PD why?)

• Cars allowed: You can use your tuned Day 1 car.
  • Tuning allowed: With the 3000 Cr. earned from Tahiti, you should have more for tuning your car. Again on a budget, use that extra cash to improve your machine:D
  • Limit for sending times: 1 week.
  • Hopefully there's more competition next time. Have fun!:cheers:

Ok, I ran a few practice laps with FC equipped with 2nd flywheel (literally the first 1-day car I ran into in used slot), but I didn't send my time since I drive on the keyboard, which is not ideal. But seeing the results above, it appears that my mid-1.15-ish are actually not too bad :)
Maybe I will take part in second stage.

Edit: Also, I think it would be great to have something like Speed 12 Time Trials on Grindelwald at some point
(non-RMed, sports tires), or fully-tuned Muscle Car Challenge on Autumn Ring :)

Last edited:
Assuming that's the Infini III, for your bookkeeping it should only have cost you 8877Cr, leaving you enough money for the full race flywheel and 100Cr left over. So for the 2nd round, I'd upgrade to race flywheel for free, then you have 3100 more credits to spend.

Yeah, that's why I'm saying since probably none of us are using actual day 1 saves, go ahead and use the real day 1 price for fairness. I'd guessed that since you only put the 2nd flywheel on that your Infini III must have cost more than 9000.

Oh wow, that Speed 12 challenge will be tough but fun, excellent idea!:cheers:
I've already planned the Muscle Car Cup events, nice sugestion about Autumn Ring

Hi everyone! Sorry for not posting the times yesterday (problems with my internet service:banghead:)

Here they are:

The winner is: jeffgoddin!:cheers: (2 in a row!)
Car: Nissan Silvia K's 1800 (turbo-1, race flywheel, sports suspension)
Time:
Section 1: 19.568
Section 2: 40.148 = 20.580
Section 3: 1:06.765 = 26.617
Total: 1:24.196 = 17.431

Top speed: 134.69mph

2nd place: Wankel3

Car: Mazda RX-7 Infini III (racing flywheel and racing intercooler)

Time:
S1: 0.19.795
S2: 0.20.845
S3: 0.27.386
S4: 0.17.753

Total: 1.25.888

3rd place: Samgt

Car: Nissan Skyline GTS25 '91 (semi-racing flywheel, weight reduction 1)

Sector 1: 0:20:387
Sector 2: 0:21:120
Sector 3: 0:27:916
Sector 4: 0:18:490
Total: 1:27:913

Next track coming up!:gtpflag:

Woo hoo! Unfortunately, I picked the best day 1 car for 10k tuning (well, Supra '93 and Twinturbo R '91 maybe a little better than Silvia K's 1800cc but I like the Silvia better for handling...) I say unfortunately because if we stick with these cars for a while, my car will eventually be outclassed by a lot of other cars, since I already have stage 1 turbo on mine... and it looks like Samgt is saving up for something big! And once Wankel3 slaps a turbo on his InfiniIII I'm afraid I will be left behind... but that's racing!:)

I actually tested the Supra '93 with 13k tuning and got 1:23.5 on lap 6, but Red Rock is a high speed track which rewards hp over handling, so I'd expect the heavier but more powerful Supra to beat the Silvia pretty easily here.

Last edited:
Well, the Infini III may be the fastest Day 1 car in the long run (at least being fully tuned it is faster than all S13s, Supra Twinturbo R and Skylines), but for now I have to struggle a little bit with those 2kg springs and large gaps between gears.
I guess the next track will decide whether should I go for more power or not.

Infini III definitely best in the long run. And I'm getting close to the rev limit already, so with more power I'll be needing the expensive fully custom transmission as well...

My Skyline handles quite well but has gears that are much too long for its power. Once you lose speed, you don't catch up. I'll need to work something out... or I'll be left behind at every race :lol:

Here's the next track

HIGH SPEED RING!:D
(P.D: This one should have been the 2nd race but i mixed up the tracks :yuck:👎 Whatever)

This high speed track (it's name says it all), based on the original layout of the Fuji Speedway, is a fan-favorite track of the GT series.
With long, fast banked corners, it's (apart from Super Speedway and Test Course) an excellent place to test your car's handling and speed:sly:

Cars allowed: Again, your Day 1 car (or if you have enough credits, you can buy another car!)

Tuning: More cash from Red Rock, means more chances of upgrading your car (still on budget)

Again, time limit for sending times is 1 week

As always:
HAVE FUN!:cheers:

Last edited:
HSR is seriously one of the hardest tracks in GT2, pretty much impossible to find the right lines through the corners. I took about 16 laps on this one to get a lap I was happy with, and honestly I'm still not that happy with it... Silvia K's 1800cc now has turbo-1, race flywheel, sport suspension, stage 1 weight reduction, and the performance chip, with 2500Cr held back so I can get sports tires for the next round.

Edit: did a bit of testing with the Infini III, and it's going to be a couple more rounds until you catch me, but I have to say, you're putting in some great times with that car! Yeah, the transmission is totally unsuited to the power curve, maybe with close gears and driving manual you could get more out of it, but close gears are 4500 and not really worth it. I tried HSR adding first turbo and then instead sports suspension and weight reduction, turbo's probably a little faster, but with sports suspension and weight reduction the RX-7 is a little faster in the corners than I am, which is interesting... Either way though, still over half a second behind me, in my hands anyways. Now I'm curious about next round, think I'll add sports tires to my Silvia and both turbo and sports suspension and weight reduction to your infini III and see how they compare!

Edit: I'm worried about next round now...

Edit yet again: okay, a little more testing, going with race intercooler and carbon driveshaft next round instead of tires, and with that, we should be dead even in terms of potential!

Last edited:
HSR is seriously one of the hardest tracks in GT2, pretty much impossible to find the right lines through the corners. I took about 16 laps on this one to get a lap I was happy with, and honestly I'm still not that happy with it...

I am also not happy about my fastest lap, since I think I slightly messed up the line in turn 1 and was a bit too cautious in turn 2. My shifting is also still somewhat wonky, since it takes for me forever to get used to shifting in different moments for various gears.
However, I am not sure if I agree on the toughness of the track - for me both Rome tracks (day and night) or Laguna Seca are more challenging, but HSR certainly is tricky in some respects. I find that turn 2 and the first half of the following chicane (turn 3) are passed fastest for me by sliding with negligible angle and minimal steering corrections, which is always fun; also the exit of the last turn can screw up the entire lap if not confident with throttle control, but that's it.

On the upgrades I decided to go for handling first, so I have the sports suspension and weight reduction. I keep in mind that for FDs semi-racing suspension has practically ideal default setup, and for FCs it is also very good, IIRC. So I don't plan to buy full-custom suspension, as well as upgrading gearbox (at least until the very end). The sports tires on Silvia sound scary to me :), so I'll probably start saving up for a big turbo or something.

Well, maybe it's because I've never used HSR for time trials, so I don't have nearly as much experience with it as I do with all the other tracks. But I just found it very difficult to get consistent lap times... on every other track I have my favorite lines and after I figure out entry speed with a particular car/setup, I can get my lap times to be within 0.2-0.3 of each other within 6 or 8 laps and am pretty comfortable with a best time within 10 laps.

The first corner I eventually figured out, start wide and gradually turn in to clip the apex where the corner gets sharper towards the end, rather than try to follow the inside of the corner the whole way, which is the difference between exit speeds of 135-136mph and 133-134mph.

The 2nd corner I could never apex properly, very hard to late brake into it, and I usually ended up over-braking down to 85-87mph, while I'm pretty sure I could have taken it at 90-91mph and exit at 93-94mph if I could just figure out the best line and braking point.

The chicane is good fun (yes, let the tail come out here!), but again, very difficult for me to decide how to take it... Ideally, I wanted to exit the chicane as fast as possible, and enter the tunnel at 83mph+ while maintaining 72-73mph minimum through the chicane. But I felt like if I could have been a little slower (maybe down to 70mph in the middle of the chicane?) and really get a line into the last part of the chicane that would let me jump on the power a little earlier and hit the apex, which I generally ran wide of) I could have been entering the tunnel at 85mph or so, which I was never able to achieve.

And then the last corner, banked so it's easy to lose grip, I eventually got that down pretty well, start wide, brake down to 96mph for the turn-in and scrub speed down to 92-93mph as I go for the apex, then throttle control to build speed coming out without losing grip. I watched for the little triangle bit of brown that sticks out into the track from the right side just at the beginning of the main drag to see what my speed was there to decide how well I'd taken the last corner (which is the most important corner on the track,) and got so that I could hit 100mph fairly consistently passing that point, though at my best I would be doing 101mph, or maybe once or twice 102mph.

For me, HSR is so hard because of all the big straights and the tricky corners before them, where just 1/2mph difference in exit speed can mean 0.2+ second off your lap time. Rome Night is another one that gives me similar troubles. But just because HSR only has 4-5 corners doesn't make it simple.

Corkscrew is easy, and forgiving since the next corner is right there and will limit your speed. The hardest corner on Laguna Seca for me is the 4th corner, after the hairpin and the two rights, when you take a left before the high speed left and up the hill to the chicane. It's hard because of similar issues that I have with the 2nd corner of HSR, hard to find the braking point and hit the apex properly and come out onto the rumble strips at maximum speed, and then it's full throttle all the way to the corkscrew, so even 1/2mph off will mean 0.2-0.3 seconds off your lap time.

Well, in my hot lap I was clipping the apex of turn 2 sort of properly, but on following laps I loosened my line and delayed braking a bit, and it looked like I just overtook my ghost going through the outside sideways. Really spectacular, but my ghost then catched up at the exit of chicane and then went ahead of me by a car body at the exit of final turn. I think that such different results with small velocity deviations are the consequence of low-polygonal bankings in gt2, since the car tends to find grip at the exit more abruptly then on flat turns.
I tought myself not to focus on speed magnitude, so I don't have such precise data, but generally I just trying to act as smooth as possible while staying at the edge of grip. I love gt2 because the edge of grip seems really thick, so you can do no-countersteer drifts, throttle-steering and all sorts of advanced cornering techniques with a mere d-pad (or keyboard), and still have very good sense of car, if that makes sense.

I don't have any problems with Corcscrew either, unless I drive something entirely new to me at full pace.
It's the last hairpin (where AI bangs into wall) that ruins my laps - I just can't get it right most of the time, mainly because of the bump right in front. The pair of fast right-handers are tough to get right too, but can get you great flowing feeling once you get it.
The Rome tracks are not simple for me because they require incredible precision not only for good times, but also for not being killed horribly by a wall or a curb. The Night one also has one nasty understeer-happy corner. The day one is little bit easier IMO, but the AI here is really fast, I have advantage only in fast chicanes. Still great fun to drive though.

Last edited:
Back