GT4 - 3D screenshots !!!

• Thread starter mbell
  • 18 comments
I've played little bit with the GT4 Photo Mode and have got the idea to create a 3D pictures. Here is my first trial (you will need RED-BLUE glasses to see the images in full 3D). Let's enjoy it and go make your own and show them!

=mbell=

Wow. That's a really great idea. You smart. Unfortunately, I don't have any 3D glasses. But you know, they dont have to be RED-BLUE glasses. Any pair of polarized glasses will work. Normally, both lenses are polarized like this: || || 3D glasses are polarized like this:
|| = So theoretically, all you have to do, is get a regular pair of polarized sunglasses, and rotate one of the lenses 90 degrees. I hope that works, never tried it myself....if i find some sunglasses lying around, I WILL try it!

maki
Wow. That's a really great idea. You smart. Unfortunately, I don't have any 3D glasses. But you know, they dont have to be RED-BLUE glasses. Any pair of polarized glasses will work. Normally, both lenses are polarized like this: || || 3D glasses are polarized like this:
|| = So theoretically, all you have to do, is get a regular pair of polarized sunglasses, and rotate one of the lenses 90 degrees. I hope that works, never tried it myself....if i find some sunglasses lying around, I WILL try it!

Thanx, I'm happy that somebody likes my ideas. :-)

But with the polarized sun glasses you are not right! Do not brake them, it wouldn't work! The trick with orthogonally polarized glasses is used in IMAX cinema where the two images are projected together on the wall and are orthogonally polarized. When you wear such special glasses, you can then see each of the image only by the correct eye and 3D is created in your brain.

This kind of 3D images I've posted here are so called anaglyphs. Since the PC monitor sure cannot project each of the image differently polarized - the trick is done by the different color filter. When you wear the color RED-BLUE glasses - the correct image is filtered for your left and right eye and again the 3D is composed in your brain. That's it. ;-) Let's go to find some red and blue filters, it's worth to do it!

=mbell=

This is amazing, good lord! I just spend half an hour looking for my 3D glasses (I knew they simply had to be somewhere) but that was well worth it. Very well done m8 👍

Very nice m8.

How did you alter the images to get that 3D effect? I'm guessing you used Photoshop. A "How To Guide" would be really nice ;)

j8mie
Very nice m8.

How did you alter the images to get that 3D effect? I'm guessing you used Photoshop. A "How To Guide" would be really nice ;)

The procedure itself is rather easy (you don't need even PhotoShop). A short "How To Guide" follows:

1. Go to Photo Mode in your GT4 (the best is to use Photo Travel since you have there more freedom to move the camera).

2. Focus the camera on your car with some background at the distance.

3. Set the Aperture to 22 to have the maximal depth of field.

4. Take a shot (this will be the left one).

5. Move the camera (very little) to the right and possibly turn it a bit to the left (to have the car still in the middle of your view). Do not move the camera verticaly nor change the vertical angle! (This would spoil the 3D effect for sure.) The "depth" of 3D effect depends on how far you move the camera from the initial position - it's something like to change your eyeball distance. :-)

6. Take a shot (this will be the right one).

7. Use any anaglyph maker to combine the appropriate color signal from left and right image to produce the final one. (You can download such program from here:http://www.snapfiles.com/get/zanaglyph.html - it's freeware easy to use, just insert the left and right image and make some very basic setup.)

8. Enjoy the result. :-) And don't forget to post it here (to give me some satisfaction ;-).

Hmm, I gotta make 3D glasses for me now. I remember there was one somewhere at home, but I doubt I´ll find it.

yay! found mine in my August 1998 issue of national geographic titled "Mars and the Titanic" in 3D

and i knew i had some in there just couldnt remember date, and lucky me i found out what company made them, got the issue.. and wow

these are cool, but the further from the car, the better it seems, those close ups dont .. move as much as the further one does

dang, im 99.9% sure that i dont have any 3d glasses. that is a very cool idea though, wish i could see it.

Back