(GT4 demo) Nurburgring Nordschleife laptimes

• Thread starter kensei
  • 45 comments
The only difference I see is with Street tires, your to be sliding around more than your tires have grip with the track. That help's out the DS2 guys IMO, but everywhere else the DFP excels over the DS2.

8'00.003 / YZF - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DS2)
8'02.968 / Flinx - Skyline R34 (Street - Aids Off - MT - DFP)
I'm very close to my limit in the same car with Aids off and a MT and I was at a 8'00.4xx the other day with my DFP. I see maybe a second's worth of improvement for myself. Still thats a very good time with a DS2 considering that I see a 7'59.xxx being as fast as I'll go with the DFP. YZF did use a DS2 right???

Ha! I knew a 7'59.xxx was possible with the R34/street tires. I haven't run the demo in about a week (xmas got in the way) and the full GT4 should be here in a few days so i am not sure if I'll better my times.

As for the DS2. I think the only one playable with the DS2 is with Arcade tires. They seem to dull the car down a bit taking out alot of the twitch. I was always a DS2 user but can't get within 5 seconds of my DFP times, I even spent alot of time trying. It is especially hard with the Falken GT-R. You really need to DFP to smooth out the bumps and such, especially in the high speed sections.

Plus if you notice you have a limited turn range with the DS2. More like GT3. The 900* rotation of the DFP really does go a long way, especially on the more twisty bits of the Nordscleife.

Did YZF use a DS2? I'm not questioning his time but we can't ever know. There is no way to vaildate these times and see if they are clean. So if he used a DS2 is a non-issue...

When we all have GT4 with it's logger data and replay files we will know.

I can't wait until Thursda (when UPS says my new PS2 with GT4 will be here)

;) i'm not doubting his time either, I was curious if it was an error or not on him using a DS2.

Thats pretty much it, IMO when you have the DS2 turned full lock the wheels are turned the same as if you had the DFP turned about 75ish degrees. I'm not really sure how the DS2 is going to work out on cars when you modify them to get more grip. You'll be able to turn the wheels more to maximize that extra grip so the steering assist would have to accomidate it to keep it on some type of level with the DFP.

:) still I hope the DFP is better all around in GT4. IMO thats the way it should be when your playing a racing game anyways.

The problem I found playing the GT4 demo with the DS2 was consistency. I certainly wouldn’t want to run head to head with a DS2 today, little room for errors. Virtually all the guys I ever raced online who used the pad initially have crossed over to the wheel because of the difficulties involved with maintaining competitive laps over the course off of many. With the wheel you can take a moment to relax. . game pad guys can’t!
In a hot lap scenario I’m sure there will be some fast dudes around using the pad. In a race however, I just don’t see how it will work. . especially for longer races.

See that is a big unknown right now. SIM mode in GT4. All the demos and GT4p have been arcade cars. If it is anything like GT2 or GT3 (I assume it will be even better than either) you'll be able to "tune" cars suspension to make it more DS2 friendly. I won't be moving to the DFP for 100% of my GT time, I'll probably play through alot of GT4 with the DS2 (especially now that I have got the hang of the buttons and left foot braking with the DS2)...but for any hotlapping or OLR I'll be on my DFP.

otherbrother
The problem I found playing the GT4 demo with the DS2 was consistency. I certainly wouldn’t want to run head to head with a DS2 today, little room for errors. Virtually all the guys I ever raced online who used the pad initially have crossed over to the wheel because of the difficulties involved with maintaining competitive laps over the course off of many. With the wheel you can take a moment to relax. . game pad guys can’t!
In a hot lap scenario I’m sure there will be some fast dudes around using the pad. In a race however, I just don’t see how it will work. . especially for longer races.

Many of the hardcore OLRers are DS2 or even d-pad junkies. I think GT4 may just be the final nail in their coffin to finally switch.

I can't see a top of the line OLR racer (Mr. P, Max E, Hugo Boss, etc - all known to use DS2s) with their massive skill beating a moderate to very good OLRer with a DFP with the same margins they do in GT3. I jsut don't see it.

Hugo already made the wise choice to go with the wheel. I enjoy many racing games today where I only rely on the wheel. GT3 is/will be the only game left I use the pad.

I guess Max will use my hand-me down wheel if he wants to keep up from now on :dopey:

ZROC - Since I can't do it. Please remove that post, mainly the giant picture. This is neither the place or purpose for that. The car is not in the GT4 demo either.

Thank you.

EDIT: Thanks for removing that. No worries. I'm wondering myself what that car will do, but again it isn't in the demo and I want to keep this thread clean on demo hotlap discussion....thanks!

i got 7:1x my first real lap! (usually i just spin and get frusturated) i will come back when i have a screen and a better time

DFP already ordered and should be here in a week or two... :) Its is more fun and it is much faster and consistent.

With DS2 you can control car very quickly from right to left, but with dfp you can control more accurately.

3rdgenracerX
Right click and save as, 3rd person view with telemetry 28ish megs.

www.3rdgenracerX.net/Nurburgring3.wmv

Fantastic driving, 3rdgenracerX! I've watched your older 6'51.115 video quite a few times looking to improve my current record in the 7'10 range. I was actually going to mention a place or two where improvements could be made, before seeing this clip where you seem to have taken care of those spots. =)

I've got the DFP 10 days ago and already managed to beat my 7'16 DS2 record with it so I'm quite positive there's lots of room for improvement once I learn the wheel better. 6'59.999 and I'll be a happy camper, heh!

After two weeks of practicing and learning the course:
7'00.035" - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids On - AT - DS2)
After five days with my brand new DFP:
6'59.646" - Falken GT-R (Racing - Aids On - AT - DFP)

I was inspired by 3rdgenracerX's 6'48.28'" video. I realize that I don't have his skills and that I can't hope to approach his time unless I learn how to drive properly with MT and Aids OFF, but what the heck.....I am a middle aged man simply doing the best that he can, and my primary goal was to break the 7 minute mark.

I could improve my time considerably if I could ever learn to make a smooth, quick traverse of the 'serpentine' section shortly after the Karussell, between KM 13 and KM 14. I still haven't learned how to apply brake pressure very well with the DFP as I tend to slow down more than expected, and then over-compensate by not slowing down enough at the next turn and flying off track and ruining a lap.

Back