GT4 Injuries

• Thread starter yaijai
  • 30 comments
I'm new to this msg bd, but having completed 100% of the Chinese/Japanese Version last summer, i'm still playing like a madman - with most of the coolest cars and gold licences in all but S-licence, i still "train" and race with my buddies on the 'Ring for about US$60 per lap - winner takes all, of course

having said that, i'm recently noticed that my thumbs, (especially LEFT thumb) has started losing it's fingerprint and is cracking; same goes for the contact points on my ring fingers and pinkies - DS2 hands-syndrome, i think.

my mates have also complained about sore backs, necks and sprained shoulders.

any other casualties on GTPlanet?

i had the DS2 hands syndrome too, but in gt3 when i didint have my steering wheel.

til now...no other injuries, but if i get some, i will let you know :)

The nerves in my thumbs feel like they're pinched. I can play only for 20 minutes then throw it in the pits let B-spec make a run.

Stop playing if you have hand pain, you will only damage them further. Alternatively you can get a wheel where you have less stress on your fingers.

If you have back pain, shoulder pain, etc. then you need to change your posture while playing and/or play for less time altogether.

Obviously though, your best option(and you SHOULD do this) is to stop playing altogether. Let your hands, backs, necks, etc. heal.

I thought I kept damaging the muscle in my left thumb/palm area - was always uncomfortable. But I managed to somehow hurt it again, despite spending two weeks not playing GT4, so I suspect its something else causing the problem.

In a stretch last year (oh god... OG, was that two years ago?) I was in a bit of a competition with a fellow racer, doing Multiple runs of the Tokyo Enduro. In a weeks time, we must have run it about 5 different times. Mostly in Big Blue, the Calsonic Skyline race car.

From that constant pressure on the throttle, I developed the beginning stages of Carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. :(

Had to concede the race (he was beating handily) and admit defeat.

I used to get a sore back (:() and a numb bum. :lol: But now, when I do manage to play it, I just lay on the floor leaning back on my chest of drawers and get no pains. :)

Got a blister once after a straight weekend of playing, but that turned into a sweet calus (sp?) and now i'm a GT4 machine! :sly:

I get a numb thumb from pressing too hard on x button, had rsi in my shoulder from leaning on my knees with my elbows which was painful, still have a callous in the middle of my thumb from my gt3 days as i used the middle of my thumb for accelerating and the tip for braking.

If you look an under your thumb on the palm side there is a muscle there. I pulled that after continually doing super speedway endurance in my escudo on gt3.

i am constantly afflicted with a numb bumb when playing any gt game and i have to turn of controller vibration because i threw my controller at the floor and the casing has opened 0.3 cmish and hasan annoying click rather than a vibration

:ouch:

pmc40
I get a numb thumb from pressing too hard on x button, had rsi in my shoulder from leaning on my knees with my elbows which was painful, still have a callous in the middle of my thumb from my gt3 days as i used the middle of my thumb for accelerating and the tip for braking.

what is/does rsi stand for?

For the thumbs, just wrap duct tape around them, or get motorcycle gloves. Works great. :) (Billiards gloves work better though, as they leave your pointer-finger uncovered, allowing better feel for shifting.)

As far as the other stuff goes, I'm still recovering from the headache from having my neck in one position for too long. :ouch:

.Nick.
what is/does rsi stand for?
Repetitive Strain Injury - very popular for getting extended time off work among office workers. It covers a large group of "injuries" including Tennis Elbow and the aforementioned Carple Tunnel Syndrome which, off the top of my head, is where the ligaments running across the inside of your hand become shortened and/or inflamed and compress the nerves that run through the carpal tunnel - a very painful condition that arises from doing too much of the same thing with your hands.

^ Repetitive Strain Injury.(sorry Moloch_horridus beat me to it)
I got a big cigarette burn in the carpet next to my Corbeau on my DFP set-up (& I don't own this house) but my thumbs and fingers are recovering nicely since I got rid of the DS2.

I've injured my neck using my wheel, my hands too, but not as bad.
Shows that Gt4 is more than a game, its our life, and possibly will be the end of some of us!:lol:

Back