GT4 License Tests: I Give Up

• Thread starter decker12
  • 316 comments
I finished my IA license yesterday 2 try on nurnburgring, Last test is quite annoying with force feedback....... Bloody fast though....

I will do some races now before entering the IS license tests...

As I stated, Nurburgring Nordschleife is not going to be an easy track. Even yours truly struggle at the 'Ring. I only suggest things to you all because I'm a suggestive person. I am a GT veteran, but not yet a master of the Nurburgring Nordschleife (or for that matter, not good at the F1 course either!).

I talked about the learning curve in past threads, and the learning curve is going to be pretty huge, especially on huge tracks. If you are not very good on long courses, you're not the only one. One thing about long race tracks is that unless you've mastered the track in question, it can be very easy to screw up the entire course.So for these reasons, I've found Le Mans to be easy to me because I've raced it before in "Le Mans 24 Hours." The only difference is that the quick left-right complex after the Dunlop Bridge are new to me. The other factor that I consider involves having to use GT's physics and racing model coimpared to the one Inforgrames and Melbourne House came up with. PD's rendition comes short in one area- several cars to a track. LM24H had about... I want to say 20 or 24 to a track, even for the Le Mans race. So I'm used to Le Mans. Nurburgring Nordschleife, however, is completely different. If you end up racing the track in a Toyota 88C-V or a Nissan R92CP there, you're going to have a tough time. The track does not favor Le Mans race cars simply because it features over 70 turns, 12 miles, and a two-lane road. You can still race such Le Mans racers on this track, it will just be too challenging to keep such a car on the track and handle beautifully. Nurburgring Nordschleife isn't Le Mans.

But on another side, I would maybe recommend a close-geared setup for acceleration. So basically, if you have a seriously fast car, you'll need to use a setup that handles and performs more like an economy car or a Kei car. You need handling and concentration for this course. Don't have either? B-Spec is for you.

Nurburgring is all about memory, if you can remember the trickiest parts then the rest of the track will slowly become familiar, the main tip (for myself at least) is to set a 'banker' time, bronze usually. taking it nice and easy, braking early feeding in the power etc.

I then start to increase my pace, later on the brakes, harder and earlier on the power. This usually gives me a silver after a few tries. Then to get Gold it's really a case of analyzing your lap and figuring out where you are losing time(slowing down too much wrong line etc.). On the ring there are many places like this, the first long right, the first straight and the jump with the right, left bends after it, the back straight with the left ,right, left bends etc.

These are places where time can be shaved by going balls out using even the rumble strips to gain the advantage.

Once you know the track you'll find these places to make time.

Solid but worth it IMO.

Nurburgring Nordschleife is perhaps the toughest course to master, and the easiest to stumble with. With experience, you'll get used to the track in almost any car. I prefer any car with less than 500 horsepowe, has a decent top speed, and can accelerate and decelerate quickly. You may agree or disagree with me, but you can buy some cars from the Tuner Village. Say what you want about the tuner cars in the game, but based on the ones I bought (Trial Celica, Amuse S2000 GT1, HPA Motorsports R32 Golf), their performance is highly suitable for this track. You may need more HP for the Celica here. The HPA Motorsports R32 Golf is insanely fast and capable. I couldn't believe that I used this car in the Muscle Car or Hot Rod races... and beat everyone by 26 to 30 seconds! And most of all, it's the most inexpensive of them all, at 31,870 Credits. The Amuse S2000 GT1 is REALLY like a race car. You can do 189 at the Test Course (just do Mission 24). Its acceleration and power are unlike anything else. While it uses Sports Tires, it's very suitable for both Nurburgring races. Just find a good enough combination so you don't have to pit every lap. Many of the other tuners I haven't yet bought or tried out. I'm hoping to get the RE Amemiya Aspara Drink RX7 (why it's in the Tuner Village, I don't know), maybe the HKS Genki Hyper Silvia, and maybe even the Spoon Sports S2000. I remember seeing the Spoon Sports S2000 race the popular Super Taikyu endurance series. The Spoon Fit/Jazz Race Car is... well, cute.

But if you want to be serious about Nurburgring, do things the Japanese way- go to Nissan, New Cars, and look for the Falken Skyline. However you like to use the 493 horses is up to you at the Nordschleife!

mr/miss decker12,

i did tell my mom that gt4 licences were very hard. i cried, but my mom said " nothing comes easy in this world and i need to work for it". And that's the main reason why she bought me the game. Then i tried, i cry, i tried, then cry a little but then i smile for the bronze. FYI, i laugh out loud on sauber C9 on nurb when i've golded it the next day. It was good. the feeling? only god knows.

Asking Mom for advice in GT4? Yeah, that'll work for 100% unless your mom happens to be Lyn St. James, Shirley Muldowney, Claudia Hurtgen, or the lovely Milka Duno.

But, save your tears for stuff like losing someone important in your life or something like that. Gran Turismo 4 is perhaps the toughest GT game. If you only worry about AI, no car damage, no online, and all that, you'll be crying your eyes out and wanting to petition for changes in the next GT. Gran Turismo 4 is tough the physics and strategies for winning are much different. Ever slammed one side of your car into a wall? In past GT games, you'd slide back on track and go unscathed. In this GT, you may end up hitting the wall, then spinning out. How do I know? It happened to me in GT All-Stars when I was leading at High Speed Ring, I tried to avoid hitting a lapped Ford GT LM Edition Spec II, and I wanted to retire after losing the lead. That's why I'm always upset when I see "Gran Turismo 4 is too easy." It's easy for you, but not for everyone else. Hell, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" was tough to complete. All 84 hours I played through that game, and nothing came easy. Nothing comes easy in this game either. You start in the basement until you eventually reach the top of Gran Turismo racing. Only races that would really give you trouble is the Super License tests and then understanding some of the Graduation Tests for some of the others. To me, the tests can be quite easy, meaning that if you want to get all the licenses (never mind all golds) and get to racing, you can. And what's nice is that you win cars for having all bronze and all silver. Of course, all gold is what you want if you're THAT committed. So don't give up, don't feel bad if you fail a test, and most of all, don't cry over all this. I'm here for everyone. I'm family to GTPlanet and not afraid to help a sibling of this worldwide online family.

Here's a quick tip I forgot to mention. I found the Roof Cam to be highly effective in racing. You get a good view of the road ahead, and you can better be able to keep your car on the road. The Roof Cam is very essential in rally racing as well. The twists and turns of Nurburgring Nordschleife can be made a bit easier by using this camera view. Use it, master it, and go for it all!

decker12
Well, after barely passing my iB licenses I'm pretty much stuck on most of the iA licenses, let alone any of the S licenses. I've decided to just plain give up and load a cheat save game as it's no longer fun to try to hone my driving ability past a certain point to continue on with the game.

When the game came out, I went nuts with my gameplay time and eventually I have completed and gotten silver or higher in all the B and A licenses. Recently, I just spent hours trying to get halfway through iA license after spending hours squeaking through with bronze in the iB license.

I admit that I'm obviously not as good as a driver as everyone else who has gotten gold or silver or whatever on all the licenses. I don't have a problem with that pecking order. I'm just tired of trying over and over again to get those licenses instead of doing what I really enjoy - racing and buying cars and tuning them.

I'm about 55% complete with the game and my only obstacles are the races that require licenses I don't have. I love the racing aspect but have truly grown to hate the licensing portion. For years and with all the other GT games I used to preach "license tests teach you how to drive!" but to me, it's clear that in GT4 this is not the case.

I will have a TON of fun racing and winning a challenging course with my ASM and TCM-off car for 100 aspec points but when it comes license time on the same course, I can't even score bronze. That's frustrating and really, not fun to me anymore. I feel no pride anymore from squeaking through a license with all bronze, only the sadness of wasting hours and hours doing routine busywork instead of racing like I want to.

Once I had a pride level with GT2 and GT3, thinking I could muscle and sweat and strain my way through all the races and through all the licenses. Get all the cars and all the colors for my garage, and whatnot.

I just can't do it with GT4. Maybe I'm just getting older and I covet my spare time more than I used to when I played those older GT games and run those license tests 1000 times to get Gold. Maybe my skill level has decreased. Maybe my TV is bigger or my wheel is more sensitive. Whatever the case is, I'm tired of fighting with it.

Sadly this means I gotta wipe my save and load up a downloaded Xport save with all licenses and a trillion credits, and start over. Cheating yes, but to me, it means getting more from the game and increasing it's value.

Just be warned that there's no telling how a cheat code may affect your game after using it. I'm not one of those "obsessed GT fans who want gold medals", so you can take this advise to heart. I honestly believe the test are easier in GT4 than they were in GT3. I'm a middle aged dad with two kids, so my game time is limited. I completed the licenses in about 4-5 days(Nurburgring took the longest). Just keep building on your ghosts times and bronze medals won't be that difficult to achieve. Also, change your views to switch things up and if you get stuck try other licences and come back to the difficult ones later. Believe me, if I could get them, anyone can!

Another tip is to watch the demo laps, at least if you are going for silver or gold, switching the display and the view so that you can keep track of the braking points, cornering speeds, etc. If you then watch the demo laps again after having completed a lap, you can compare the demo car to the ghost of your fastest lap to see where you are losing or gaining time. Just remember that a demo lap is only shows one of the many ways of getting a fast lap. In some cases you can go anywhere from several tenths to over a second and a half faster than the demo car.

///M-Power
Another tip is to watch the demo laps, at least if you are going for silver or gold, switching the display and the view so that you can keep track of the braking points, cornering speeds, etc. If you then watch the demo laps again after having completed a lap, you can compare the demo car to the ghost of your fastest lap to see where you are losing or gaining time. Just remember that a demo lap is only shows one of the many ways of getting a fast lap. In some cases you can go anywhere from several tenths to over a second and a half faster than the demo car.

Yes, the demo car isnt that quick, I always take my own, diff racing lines (not the blue/red guideline) and then im quicker then the demo car.

I had many problems doing the licence tests, But I kept trying and trying and completed them all..

I didnt get very many golds but at least they are passed now.

Once Ive done some more races I will go for golds on them all

Keep trying :)

During demos, if you turn on the Steering Indicator, you can see how hard to steer. You can use this in replays to know how hard to turn if you have the Driving Force Pro. But if you don't have one, you'll know just how to turn as you use your DualShock 2. As three clicks of the brake are effective for braking, hard tilts of the left analog stick are just as effective.

Unlike past GT games, in GT4, you get cars for all prizes of a certain grade. All Bronze? You get a car. All Silver? You get (hopefully) a better car. All Gold? The best offering at this skill level. I've recently gone back into the License Tests, trying to turn my bronze prizes into silver, and so far, I've acheived Silver results in the National B-License tests and the International B license tests. Remember, if you want the best times, evaluate your past performance, watch the demo car race the track, find out what you did wrong, make those changes, and work for a better time. The more you're able to learn from your mistakes, the more you're able to get better results. As the start of the Apollo 440's "Start the Car" song says, "You're a great driver." No, really. You're a great driver. Become greater by doing better in License Tests. They were made to be beaten. Unless you want to show your friends all your Bronze results, why not go for higher? I did, still working to do better in GT4. But for (especially) the Super License Tests, you'll have to learn to save your Replay File. If you have a lot of space to work with on your Memory Card, just save replays for the ones you complete and the ones you want to keep working on. Don't do one test, fail, then go to the next. Keep at that test untill you pass it. With 95% skill and 5% luck, you can be the next all-Gold superstar!

Before thinking about what to type, I end up golding License Test IA-11. My first Gold outside of the B-License tests, not to mention in a tough license series! As much as I can remember, I've never scored a Gold result in a Super License test since Gran Turismo 2. It can be a challenge to try to do better than the Demo Driver in some tests if using a standard PS2 controller. The Demo Driver has the Driving Force Pro, so steering, acceleration, and braking will be more precise. To show you that it can be tough, let me compare my IA-11 results to you. The top times is my result, and the bottom result is the demo driver's result:

International-A License Test-11: Competition Dirt Racing 2
My Time: 29.647
Demo Time: 29.605
Margin: -0:00.042

I don't brag about hardly anything about GT4. I know I mention not losing a championship for each one I've completed, but I don't go around flaunting my status so far. Sometimes when you get Silver, you get the feeling that you can do better. That's perfectly fine because your goal is Gold. Right now, I'm trying to get as many silvers as possible to reduce my Bronze count. As of 1:33 AM 4/12/05, I'm at 4 Golds, 51 Silvers, and 25 Bronzes. So remember that if you think you can do better, don't just say it, do it. Just watch the demo if you're clueless. As long as you're not calling the demo driver a spoiled bastard because it drives better than you, just follow the demo driver's path, and just make enough progress to make as good of a time or a better time than the Demo Driver.

is it possible to get all the prize cars in the licences if you have already compleated the licence in bronze......

i got gold in the coffee break thing... hehehehe *waste of time*

Yesterday, I finally got the 'S' licence. It takes me some time because I didn't play GT series since GT2 (i bought a PS2 with GT4) and I'm not an hardcore gamer (i've a job and a life). I play with DS2.

My general opinion about licences is :
* the bronze is easy to get except for the rally tests (stay calm) or nürburgring tests (keep cool)
* the silver is a litte more difficult but not impossible after a few test and watching demo
* you really learn how to drive and how to turn (aka "slow in, fast out"). Specially, it really helps to lost bad habits
* the gold seems difficult for me but I think i'll get them one day (I've already got 2 gold and 35 silver)
* all racing games should have this system of licences, it's a good thing for learning the gameplay.
* GT4 rox (okay, it's not about licences :) )

The Final S license - Benz 190 Evo at the Ring... For me, that is the new benchmark that determines if a game is worth wasting time on or not..

The track is awesome, the Benz is awesome.. PERFECT combination !....

Trogster GT-R
is it possible to get all the prize cars in the licences if you have already compleated the licence in bronze......

i got gold in the coffee break thing... hehehehe *waste of time*

hi trogster GT-R

yes it is possible to win all silver and all gold cars after you completed a licence with all bronze. you can't however re-win them if you see what I mean

hope that answers your question

laters

Flerbizky
The track is awesome, the Benz is awesome.. PERFECT combination !....

I agree on both.
By the way, I tried the same car (Benz 190 evo II) on the same track (Nürburgring) just for training but it seems to me there are some little differences between the one you won and the one you drive in the S-16.
Is it the horsepower ? shock setting ? tires ? Any idea how to set it like in S-16 ?

TIA

Sakurazuka
I agree on both.
By the way, I tried the same car (Benz 190 evo II) on the same track (Nürburgring) just for training but it seems to me there are some little differences between the one you won and the one you drive in the S-16.
Is it the horsepower ? shock setting ? tires ? Any idea how to set it like in S-16 ?

TIA

Nope... I don't even have the Evo in my garage yet.. I've been dealing with Licenses and Mission Hall - still need to do the last one in both...
My guess, however, is that the suspension setting is stock. Probably R1 tires judged from the amount of grip you actually get... If you manage to work out the settings, please let us know !...

You win that Evo II Benz in the European > Schwarzliga B competition.

I had it quite a while before I attempted the final licence, and had already posted 7:10 at the 'ring on a free run. Whatever the configuration on the car you win, it seems very similar to the car in the licence test.

When it came to doing the licence, I got 7:14 or something.

Did the Final S test on my 1st try :) . After the time it took me to learn the old ring for GPL I should know the track!

If your stuck at the ring its just practice you need. Learn the tight bits and the danger points and it will start to come together. Took me a couple of weeks to commit the whole course into memory. Best technique for me was to do 1-3 laps a night, and then the next day you will know it better. Take a slower car out in the practice modes, as the Merc is pretty fast to be learning in.

when i did my licene tests i also got stuck on the S license. it is easy 2 get fustrated and give up so what i did was tried it the next day and done a first crappy lap and then improved from that. dont do any other races b4 tryin to do the license test . for the other licenses do a first attempt and then look at the demo and see where u went wrong also i think if u press R3 duing the countdown u get a guide like in GT3. hope this helps 👍 i did the ring 1st attempt 👍 👍

I got gold at my first try. And my best time is: 7:01:xxx

You must really do many laps around the Nordschleife and study the track with a slower car then you maybe can achieve laptimes around 7min. in the S-16 licence.

But Zonekill, that's easier said than done. I say if you want to push the limits a bit, get a 2000 Ford Falcon XR8 or the Falken Skyline GT-R. Remember this car isn't made for Minolta Toyotas and R92CPs. You can try those cars, but it will be too easy to make mistakes and force errors. You'll be riding in two Mercedes-Benz machines in both tests. You're basically racing the same car, just that in the first one, it's the MB 190E 2.5 - 16. The second test features the touring car variant with the unspecified drivetrain (most likely front/rear. Why PD didn't include the proper drivetrain is weird to me).

After using the Ford Falcon XR8 (get Standard or Sports Tires) in the Nurburgring 4 Hour race, I noticed how wonderfully it handles on Germany's Green Hell. And if Nurburgring Nordschleife is called "Green Hell," the devil of Green Hell isn't afraid to take his pitchfork and impale it through you. You shake that devil off by being patient around this course. Remember, Nurburgrging Nordschleife is long. As I stated, to get every turn correct is a daunting task. That's the one thing I dislike about long courses. Long courses mean that it's easy to throw away an entire lap by screwing up big in one section. And if you want fast times, you have to concentrate wonderfully, not to mention driving perfect or near perfect through each turn. It takes practice, so take it easy, then go all out when you're ready to hit it big. Not to brag, but for both tests, it shouldn't be too hard to get bronze. Just stay on the track and drive brilliantly enough to win yourself the bronze. You dig me, here?

JohnBM01
But Zonekill, that's easier said than done. I say if you want to push the limits a bit, get a 2000 Ford Falcon XR8 or the Falken Skyline GT-R. Remember this car isn't made for Minolta Toyotas and R92CPs. You can try those cars, but it will be too easy to make mistakes and force errors. You'll be riding in two Mercedes-Benz machines in both tests. You're basically racing the same car, just that in the first one, it's the MB 190E 2.5 - 16. The second test features the touring car variant with the unspecified drivetrain (most likely front/rear. Why PD didn't include the proper drivetrain is weird to me).

After using the Ford Falcon XR8 (get Standard or Sports Tires) in the Nurburgring 4 Hour race, I noticed how wonderfully it handles on Germany's Green Hell. And if Nurburgring Nordschleife is called "Green Hell," the devil of Green Hell isn't afraid to take his pitchfork and impale it through you. You shake that devil off by being patient around this course. Remember, Nurburgrging Nordschleife is long. As I stated, to get every turn correct is a daunting task. That's the one thing I dislike about long courses. Long courses mean that it's easy to throw away an entire lap by screwing up big in one section. And if you want fast times, you have to concentrate wonderfully, not to mention driving perfect or near perfect through each turn. It takes practice, so take it easy, then go all out when you're ready to hit it big. Not to brag, but for both tests, it shouldn't be too hard to get bronze. Just stay on the track and drive brilliantly enough to win yourself the bronze. You dig me, here?

Yeah sure its easier said then done.
I forgot to say that I watched many videos from the Nordschleife. It also helped me study the "perfect" line at the corners.

i find the licenses pretty easy, just the s license is taking me some time but i have 10 out of 16 done, the rest was a breeze if you so good racing it shouldn't be a problem to get all of them just S needs more time and patience.
good luck.

I can sympathize with the frustration - I'm not sure I'll ever get to 100% completion (I'm a little over 90% complete at the moment).

I still remember trying to finish off those last few races for my S-licence. When first introduced to the high speed race cars on those new tracks I found the experience massively intimidating.

I had to keep reminding myself it was only a video game, so if I go off the track at 200+ kmh, don't sweat! Nevertheless, the experience was so realistic it took me a long time to get through it.

The key for me was incremental learning i.e; OK - high speed to the first turn, OK for the next two, slow down for the sharp turn - gun it on the straightaway

CRASH***

start again.

but whenever I did this, the early turns started to get more and more familiar until they became like old friends.

Now I love these courses!

modik
:grumpy:
I am stuck with IA15. The E190 chasing the Skyline GTR pace / guide car...

I several times chased the sucker for 8 minutes and then mistakenly overtook the jacka$$ being disqualified !!

I am just too much into racing and cannot stop the urge to overtake when I am so deeply concentrated into catching up with the sucker... Moreover, the Skyline holds such a ridiculous line that when you follow its tracks you are sure to end up in the greens or the barriers !! :ill:

And worst of all I could not manage importing my licenses from the GT3 save...

HEEELLLLPPPPPP !! :nervous:

For that test I just took a nice casual drive around the ring and passed a minute ahead of bronze. Not that hard if you just take your time :).

I got stuck on S-15 a long time, then tonight the sarthe track was in for our local GT4-leauge, and I drove around the track for a couple of hours in the minolta (handles like crap in high speeds...). Then I tried the S-15 again, the Bentley race-car handles smoothly compared to the minolta and driving was like a dream. Silver on the first attempt!

On to the S-16, easy does it, I know the track, no mistakes but som nervous over-braking in the NE techincal section lost enough seconds to make it a bronce.

There's hope, just drive the tracks a lot, perhaps with a not to good car to learn the pitfalls, tight bends and most important, where you can pusj the throttle all the way in through corners!

And what a ***** price car for special licence....

Back