GT4 problems- i just hope that someone from polyphnoy will read this

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rulers_Raziel
  • 52 comments
  • 2,276 views
Messages
2
after seeing the gt4 prologue and the trailers from gt4 lots of ppl are complainig about 3 problems :
1. the visibility of the road from outside of the car is really poor especially with the bigger cars also the second view is not so accurate
2.even on a smaller car game like GTA3 the weells are 3d here even if is a cars game the weels are still 2d
3.in the prologue game in the view from outside there is no mileage recorder and also no rpm thing

if someone knows more about this please share
 
Firstly the wheels in GTA3 were not 3D, they were only textures now the wheels in GT4 won't be as flat but they won't be fully 3D because of the PS2's hardware. I kinda understand what you mean with the views being a bit iffy but I mainly only use the bumper cam.
 
Good luck with PD reading this... :rolleyes: PD does not own GTP or have any affiliation with GTP.

For question number 2, GTA3 uses less processing power than GT3 or 4. Car models in GTA3 use less polygons than GT. Polygon numbers for cars in GT3 or 4 are in the 5,000 range. Anyone can see GTA3 uses quite a few less than GT3 or 4. (800-1,000 would be my guess)

For question number 3, what do you mean by the "RPM thing"? I think you meant the tachometer. Prologue has a tachometer or you wouldn't know when to shift gears.
 
Viper Zero
For question number 2, GTA3 uses less processing power than GT3 or 4. Car models in GTA3 use less polygons than GT. Polygon numbers for cars in GT3 or 4 are in the 5,000 range. Anyone can see GTA3 uses quite a few less than GT3 or 4. (800-1,000 would be my guess)

If I recall correctly a GTA : VC model I loaded (will have same amount of polies as GTA3) had around 2500 polies, bear in mind although the cars are polygonated, they do have full 3D interiors & detachable panels with polygons on either side. :)
 
:banghead: Oh boy, oh boy. I anyone ever mentions the phrase "3D Wheels" in conjuction with Gran Turismo again i think i will faint ....
 
but it doesnt HAVE 3D WHEELS! THE WORLD IS OVER!

if thats the best complaints list you can come up with then GT's gonna be great
 
i'm sure that gt4 will be the best game ever that's no doubt

all these complains where made by lots of ppl and i have simply posted them on the forum
and yes Viper Zero that's the problem that it only appears the tachometer but the speedometter is missing ( i just hope you get my point ) and the big problem is the view ....from other points of view the game looks great ..it's a good thing also that they have worked more at the enviroment :)
 
"but it doesnt HAVE 3D WHEELS! THE WORLD IS OVER!

if thats the best complaints list you can come up with then GT's gonna be great"

Shall I make a list now or later?


best game ever? Shheessshhh, i think that's going abit to far.
 
3D wheelz are so 2003...

2004 - the year of 2D.

Petition: PD, please, keep the 2D wheels!

Sign this petition below.

EDIT: 3D rims make no sense in terms of gameplay. It would be a pure wasting of prescious graphic memory.
 
I agree!

Oh yes PD, please lower the graphic quality of GT4 some more, I also want the following to stay out of Gt4 ;)

damage
driver animations
skid marks
reverse lights
bump mapping

thanks pd!
 
Yep 👍 2D wheels look fine for me......3D wheels look 2D when thay are spinning anyway so all in all it probably looks more realistic!

Robin
 
Rulers_Raziel
1. the visibility of the road from outside of the car is really poor especially with the bigger cars also the second view is not so accurate

3.in the prologue game in the view from outside there is no mileage recorder and also no rpm thing
I agree. 👎 I hope PD improves this in GT4.
 
Code: There are actually driver animations in this GT. Remember the vid of the convertible with the top down? They looked sweet too. Also, WHO NEEDS REVERSE LIGHTS?????? I'm sure you're the only one reversing around the course, that's why you complain so much.

And I could care less if the wheels are 2d or 3d. As robin said...they're all gonna look 2d when spinning so who cares? Plus their 3d in photomode (probably).
 
"Plus their 3d in photomode (probably)."

Oh i love that (probably).

"Yep 2D wheels look fine for me......3D wheels look 2D when thay are spinning anyway so all in all it probably looks more realistic!"

And that too, comedy. Infact lets make the entire car 2d! Hell, you won't notice as it will be moving so fast! I love the way how these fans try and turn graphical short comings in to some kind of advantage, as if PD did it on purpose as part of the GT4 master plan, it just cracks me up.

person 1. "gt4s textures are low res"
GT fan. "well thats to uhhhh aid in the ummm realism...uhh grain effect, yeah"

person 1. "wtf, no reverse light"
GT fan. " YOU N00B!!! If your skillz be gud enough, you dont need it, god you complain so
much, GT4 is teh bestest uber gamez EV0RZ!"


Im not actually bothered, I'm gonna enjoy GT4 either way.
 
Calm down Kev, I can sense the sharks closing in :lol:

The 3d wheels though...you can't tell they are 3d unless they have stopped! I agree with amar on that one, a complete waste of resources. Nothing to do with PD's master plan, but the PS2 is short on resources, lets face it. ;)

I'd quite like High Res textures. btw the grass in GT cracks me up...its the worst looking grass in the world! It has a resolution of four pixels.

The reverse light one though...what?! I don't even know if the lights work in my real car, and I'm not going to jump out and check :lol:

The biggest problem with GT4...is its not out yet!!!
 
Rulers_Raziel
i'm sure that gt4 will be the best game ever that's no doubt

all these complains where made by lots of ppl and i have simply posted them on the forum
and yes Viper Zero that's the problem that it only appears the tachometer but the speedometter is missing
It's got both a tach and a speedo, they're both digital.
 
I'll take 60fps over 3d wheels, Most game that use motion blur with 3D wheels, the blur effect is done in 2D.

These are not problems, just preferences. Far veiw is stationary, thats what PD wanted to do, there are rumors that there will be many new veiws in GT4 but we wont know for another 4-36 months

Too bad code never starts his rants with.

"Im not actually bothered, I'm gonna enjoy GT4 either way"

Always at the end.
 
i reckon they will put reverse lights on just to stop the wineing about it... come on its not a BIG thing is it?
 
I agree about the reverse lights, even if you're supposed not to use them, even a#1 driver will eventually need the reverse and without lights, it's weird :dunce: . For the views, it's true that the outside views don't provide a good road visibility, but i played the whole GT3 game with it and it was not a so big problem.

As for the RPM meter and mileage counter not appearing in the outside view, now that's a big problem :grumpy: , but it will not be this way in the final game for sure, I think it will look a lot like GT3.

See Ya :sly:
 
Lambo88
As for the RPM meter and mileage counter not appearing in the outside view, now that's a big problem :grumpy: , but it will not be this way in the final game for sure, I think it will look a lot like GT3.

See Ya :sly:

there are digital tachometers and speedometers. Look 3 posts above yours.
 
These are minor problems which don't really matter, The views are a little odd but bearable and with the wheels 3d thing it don't matter cos ever since GT came on the scene nothing has looked better 👍
 
Tach yeah, but no odometer has been shown in any screenshots. I think that this is purely because it won't be added until the last minute.

I definitely will be gutted if the odometer isn't included - gives the cars a sense of age and reminds you of just how much you've driven them! 👍
 
They manage to have the rear spoilers on certain cars rise and lower (GTR Concept) and manage to light the whole of the Toyota POD.......why can't they do reverse lights!!!!.....surely the others take up just as many poly's

For the last bloody time!........3D wheels look 2D when spinning, even in real life.....The 3D details of the spokes blur into a flat disc appearance.....sometimes you can't even see the rims at high speed.....only the brake disc and caliper are visable.......You look at any car whist moving over 30 MPH......you can't tell what the disks would look like at 0 MPH. Can you see the individual 3D spokes spinning on a F1 car in a race......NO........I rest my case!

3D wheels are actaully pointless when moving because even if they were totally 3D rendered they would look the same.....so waste of poly's

Robin
 
Well, prologue is NOT the final built. So I am sure the final version will be improved.
Going back to the wheel thing, I am sure they can do it but at a cost of something else, like may be making the car much less detail or the environment. So it will all comes down to more detail cars or 3D wheels but less detail cars.
 
I wonder if this is true (or is it just me) that the opponent cars in GT4 are actually lower poly than the car you are racing in........I feel that is how they have made over things (like the environments) more graphically impressive. I zoomed in on prologue as my car was passing the 5 others and I noticed than an identical car to mine looked lower poly and less graphical at a really close range...on viewing the opponents normally they look the same......

Maybe PD have taken about 100 or 50 poly's off all opponent cars to make the improvements shown in GT4.......

Has anyone else noticed this?????

Robin
 
Interesting - got Prologue but only played it once so far so haven't noticed, but will check it out.

If it's only a slight deterioration then guess it's okay, but car detail is more important than scenery detail to me.
 
Woo! Problems with GT4! Now I know what not to look forward to right? Oh wait. It isn't out yet so no one knows. You have a GT4 Prologue problem then take it to the GT4 Prologue forum. Simple eh? As for all the other problems you've listed, thanks, they've only been posted hundreds of times in different threads, we didn't need them collated. This thread won't encourage people to come post their particular GT4 problems here anyway, and it's actually misleading because it comes off like there are things wrong with GT4 - when it's not even out.

100 polygons is a pittance and wouldn't make much difference to a car model at all. To actually have smaller polygon versions of cars would be stupid because you'd have to dedicate disc space to remodelling the car, it's wasteful.

I decided to do some math, because whilst I hate math, I love logic. At 350km/h, a car travels just over 9.7m every second. I don't know quite how large F1 tyres are, but I worked with a figure of 70cm which was just a random guess as to their diameter. At that speed and that size, the tyre rotates just over 44 times a second - I challenge you to make out the geometry of wheel spokes that rotate 44 times a second. What difference you note will be a result of shadow, which can be emulated well enough by a simple 2D texture.

As for photo mode, the pictures we've seen suggest true 3D rims - you yourself Code exclaimed "Aww why can't those rims be in the game?" or words to that effect in the New Pics -Photo Mode- thread.

Some people are actively trying to justify shortcomings, and that's dumb. Others are just embracing that whatever happens, happens. I too won't give a damn about rims, 2d's fine with me, not because I'm trying to deny that PD can't do it, because I simply don't care if they do, it's trivial.
 
Eagle
Woo! Problems with GT4! Now I know what not to look forward to right? Oh wait. It isn't out yet so no one knows. You have a GT4 Prologue problem then take it to the GT4 Prologue forum. Simple eh? As for all the other problems you've listed, thanks, they've only been posted hundreds of times in different threads, we didn't need them collated. This thread won't encourage people to come post their particular GT4 problems here anyway, and it's actually misleading because it comes off like there are things wrong with GT4 - when it's not even out.

100 polygons is a pittance and wouldn't make much difference to a car model at all. To actually have smaller polygon versions of cars would be stupid because you'd have to dedicate disc space to remodelling the car, it's wasteful.

I decided to do some math, because whilst I hate math, I love logic. At 350km/h, a car travels just over 9.7m every second. I don't know quite how large F1 tyres are, but I worked with a figure of 70cm which was just a random guess as to their diameter. At that speed and that size, the tyre rotates just over 44 times a second - I challenge you to make out the geometry of wheel spokes that rotate 44 times a second. What difference you note will be a result of shadow, which can be emulated well enough by a simple 2D texture.

As for photo mode, the pictures we've seen suggest true 3D rims - you yourself Code exclaimed "Aww why can't those rims be in the game?" or words to that effect in the New Pics -Photo Mode- thread.

Some people are actively trying to justify shortcomings, and that's dumb. Others are just embracing that whatever happens, happens. I too won't give a damn about rims, 2d's fine with me, not because I'm trying to deny that PD can't do it, because I simply don't care if they do, it's trivial.

Thats true we'll wait till GT4 comes out but these are minor quirks I agree with what everyone has said about wheels looking 2d when spinning to be honest I can't believe this is even being discussed there is no other racing game like Gran turismo and I have full confidence that GT4 will blow evreything away just like every previous version the is the King of racing games 👍
 
Eagle
100 polygons is a pittance and wouldn't make much difference to a car model at all. To actually have smaller polygon versions of cars would be stupid because you'd have to dedicate disc space to remodelling the car, it's wasteful.

I have a loada respect for you man.................but im telling ya the opponent cars are lower poly whatever you say (how many polys I don't know).......in alot of other racing games it the same. The detail is slighty less on GT4 opponents than your own car.......that is how the have upped the graphics in others areas. If your saying that it is a waste of space to re-render (remodel) the car just for less polys then explain why they have one render for garage view, one render for photomode and one render for in a race...that is already 3 different renders of varying quality for one car.....I doubt that they can't do another......Aswell as the photomode render and racing render for all 50+ tracks.....

Havent you ever wondered how GT4 looks so much better.......well I think that this is the reason.

Robin ;)

p.s............I do agree totally about the 2D wheels.......they look the same when spinning........
 
For example.......take a look at the Audi R8 Le Mans car........two pictures.....rims stationary......rims spinning.........you cannot see the 3D detail of the rims at speed......hell! you can't even nearly see the rims.....that spinning rim look looks flat and could be easily modeled in 2D and have the same effect......

Robin
 

Attachments

  • r8 stationary wheel.jpg
    r8 stationary wheel.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 11
  • r8 moving.jpg
    r8 moving.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 13
Back