GT4 problems- i just hope that someone from polyphnoy will read this

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rulers_Raziel
  • 52 comments
  • 2,276 views
You mentioned photomode twice....;)

They only have two renders of each car. One for photomode and one for in game. The garage render is just the in game render spinning around on a different background. If you're talking about the tiny little 20x40 pixel thing in arcade mode then c'mon, that's like 2 mb for all the cars in the game. So I definately don't think that they would bother making another render of each car just for in game computer cars. Like eagle said -- a total waste of disk space that could be used to make other cars.
 
I thought that the garage render would be the photomode render because it has 3D rims and looks very graphically impressive........

I was only talking about the garage render, the photomode render (which is probably the same), the race render of your car and the race render of opponent cars (slightly less quality)
 
robin2223
I have a loada respect for you man.................but im telling ya the opponent cars are lower poly whatever you say (how many polys I don't know).......in alot of other racing games it the same.
Not quite right, what happens if the further away the cars are from you the lower the quailty of them is, the game engine detects where the cars are in relation to the camera (not your car) and then as they go further frmo the camera they lose detail and poly's.
 
live4speed
Not quite right, what happens if the further away the cars are from you the lower the quailty of them is, the game engine detects where the cars are in relation to the camera (not your car) and then as they go further frmo the camera they lose detail and poly's.

I do know this happens anyway.....but its not what I am talking about.....I'm saying that even at close range (driving right next to you) an opponents car (eg, indentical blue evo 7's) will look different...I SWEAR :scared: .......I zoomed in using triangle and the shading, the colouring and the reflections are lower poly!...it is even more apparent on race cars with liverys........I can really see this....unless I'm blind!
 
Oh, your on about in GTC right, the reason for that is most of the AI in GTC uses the car models from GT3, you may already klnow that the cars you drive in GTC are better quality than the car models in GT3 and if the AI is driving a car model thats ported straight from GT3 you can notice a small drop in detail.
 
I'm talking about Prologue.............SERIOUSLY!!!
 
Hmm, I've never seen that in prolouge. Maybe some of the non-playable cars are lower quality, but they arn't like that in GT3 and I bet for the final version of GT4 they arn't like that.
 
Yeah thats probably true......after all, Prologue was a demo........but it is true that the other opponent cars look lower poly even the cars that are idential to the one your driving......but I remind you that this is at very close (in your face) camera range. I guess prologue is not a good example to base GT4 on as no beta ever is.....since Prologue alot has happened so.........
 
I think I misunderstood what you were getting at. I doubt PD have unique models for each car for photo mode and the garage and racing, the difference is they can afford to spend more time rendering in some modes so the cars wind up looking better. When they're doing it on the fly they may have some weird culling system in place to save polygons (ala occlusion culling but on a grand scale), but I doubt they'd do that to the detriment of car quality, particularly up close, so perhaps it is indeed there, but hopefully won't be come GT4.
 
Bonsai
:banghead: Oh boy, oh boy. I anyone ever mentions the phrase "3D Wheels" in conjuction with Gran Turismo again i think i will faint ....

At least he didn't call them 'rims' :/
 
To settle the rims question... I have heard/read (long time ago, can't remember) that the rims will in fact be 2d, but they add more depth variation of the spokes etc, because it is the only viewable difference from complete 2d rims. For example the OZ racing rims in GT3 are flat. In real life the spokes stick out a bit when viewing the rims like you would view them from a rear/front view of the car. In GT4 this is supposed to be fixed. *goes to check all the kazunori interviews on harddisk for substantial proof*
 
live4speed
It's got both a tach and a speedo, they're both digital.
That's right, but I find the tachometer inadequate to help shifting on the right moment. So I end up switching between the in-car and the behind-car view :grumpy:
 
I played GT3 again yesterday ... what a quietness and serenity :)
That melody at the start of each race without opponents/"time trial" in GT4-P is starting to ennerve me :yuck:
PD, please make that noise unselectable too. :bowdown:
 
Buggy Boy
I played GT3 again yesterday ... what a quietness and serenity :)
That melody at the start of each race without opponents/"time trial" in GT4-P is starting to ennerve me :yuck:
PD, please make that noise unselectable too. :bowdown:
If it's the same melody in the Toyota Demo, then it's the beginning race melody from GT2. I have no idea what the melody in GT3 is, I turned it off before the game even started (Option at the title screen.)

I still love the sounds from the first GT game. That "click sound" when you selected something sounded cool. Now, I hear that same sound during certain car races, to indicate when they go back to a green flag.
 
Rulers_Raziel
after seeing the gt4 prologue and the trailers from gt4 lots of ppl are complainig about 3 problems :
1. the visibility of the road from outside of the car is really poor especially with the bigger cars also the second view is not so accurate.

I feel/felt the same way the first time using the Toyota Demo! It was really bad. The field of view was terrible with the second "third-person" view. It was hard to see where the hell you were going. But, after a while, you got use to it.

The third "second third-person" view is really, really bad. PD made it way to high, and not far back enough. It looks to much like you're steering the road, and not the car. I'm kind of wondering what the hell PD was thinking when they came up with this view.

They should have used GT2's field of view. That was just fine compared to the Toyota Demo. I too, hope that PD will do some changes to it before the the final game is released. If it's possible.
 
Eagle
I think I misunderstood what you were getting at. I doubt PD have unique models for each car for photo mode and the garage and racing, the difference is they can afford to spend more time rendering in some modes so the cars wind up looking better. When they're doing it on the fly they may have some weird culling system in place to save polygons (ala occlusion culling but on a grand scale), but I doubt they'd do that to the detriment of car quality, particularly up close, so perhaps it is indeed there, but hopefully won't be come GT4.

Most modern 3D games use LOD (level of detail) modelling. Basically as an object moves further from the camera, the number of polygons is reduced somewhat proportionally. It's not usually done solely with model replacement, but instead calculated on the fly, sometimes with 'keyframes' of models. In an ideal world the detail is reduced as it is no longer needed, ie the user can't tell the difference because the model's too far to see the difference.
There's no modeller effort involved, it's done with mathematics, on the fly.

Same is done with textures, lower resolution textures are used on polygons further away and replaced with the better ones the closer the poly gets to the camera.
 
#1 I believe companies do check in with boards like this that have a fairly large community. There have been Ford SVT representatives sitting in and doing "live chats" with members of car boards in the past. The same is true for a variety of TV show web sites as well. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody from PD hasn't at least dropped by here once or twice.

#2 I Don't care if they go to 3D wheels or stick with 2D. They all look pretty lousy stylistically IMO anyway, so a more detailed version of something ugly isn't at the top of my priority list. :P

#3 I'd prefer to see visual changes in the tires based on modding. I'd like to see the tire width increase, sidewalls decrease, and grooves disapear once you swap to slicks. But that's just me. :D
 
About opponent cars being SLIGHTY lower poly, which i have yet to notice myself, i actually see it as a good thing if it means that PD can improve on the environments cos hell, how long are your opponents in sight for anyway?

2d/3d wheels? dont really care 3d would be nice but it wont spoil my enjoyment of the game if they are 2d.

I agree that the 3rd person view tach is a bit crappy bein digital as it is hard to get anykind of accuracy with it since it fill on bar at a time wether you are at the top or bottom of that range. (i use bumper cam anyway so again to me not a HUGE problem to me but i can understand people wanting it fixed)

Finally i think the fixed camera was very deliberate because if you have ever tried the other external camera with the wheel it feels very detached as if you are not really controlling the car wheras the fixed one with the wheel feels quite natural.
 
Glut: Thanks for the info, never read up on such systems before.
 
One more thing about the reverse lights (which really doesn't bother me) but it seems to be a complete oversight by PD, because more importantly, the button on the DF Pro is not analogue!

If they put the reverse gear on the sequential shifters we could use the throttle pedal to control it. This does make a difference, as I was reading on db.granturismo.de where Arwin was verifying a time on Coffee break 5 (The Auto-x type course through cones) Arwin said he was infront for most of the course, but couldn't compete with the DS2's ability to reverse using the analogue button.

The DF Pro was built specifically for GT4 so it does seem that PD forgot about reversing!
 
Tacet_Blue
The DF Pro was built specifically for GT4 so it does seem that PD forgot about reversing!
They're not perfect :) Let's hope they read this thread, I haven't bought a DFP yet and would mind waiting for an improved DFP"2" that comes out in November 04 :dopey:
 
Back