GT4, Too Hard?

• Thread starter D_gamer725
  • 111 comments
DodgeViperRocks
Who else believes Gt4's 2 hard. It's not hard to me because I've played GT since I was 5, but to a newbie, it would be way to hard. In fact, at Sony Wonders in NYC, the game was used as the "Game Tester" exibit and no one but me could win a race. People were impressed when, by pure luck, some got in second place. If u have play the new nfs prostreet, mabye the should have an easy mode with similar handling. Any1 else agree?

Welcome to the forums! Please use proper grammar, and spell out all your words; some people don't understand the more elevated forms of abbreviation. Besides, it's in the rules somewhere that you must use decent grammar anyway.

Regarding your question, though, I must disagree. As a racing simulator, GT4 should be more difficult than other, more arcade-like types of racing games. Actually, GT4 is, in my opinion, one of the easiest simulators because there is little oversteer in the physics, and amateurs tend to have more trouble with oversteer than with understeer. Also, the multitude of low-power cars available are quite easy to drive from any perspective, and the default S2 tires the game equips allows understeer to be cured enthusiastically with a touch of the emergency brake, then the backwards weight transfer when the throttle is applied (which is exclusive to high-grip tires) brings things quickly back into control.

And there should not be a mode where the physics of the game undergo changes. That's why Polyphony included ASM and TCS.

[Off_topic]: I hope Polyphony lets you disable ABS in GT5.[/Off_topic]

Its because the physics are completely different than any other game. You could argue that its more realistic and thats why its harder for the average gamer, but there have been plenty of arguments/discussions saying its not more realistic just different and the average gamer isn't looking for a challenge.

I honestly think TOCA 3 more realisticly mimicks the actual performance of the racers than does GT4. I've heard many say they can't get used to the physics of TOCA because its so different from GT, but as stated above helps out the player a lot with its driver assists. I enjoy both games but I do think GT may be the hardest to adapt to in the end because the physics of tire wear are so unrealistic in GT Sas to almost be aggravating. No not almost, it is aggravating

If anyone ever finds GT4 too hard they need a reality check, the X button makes the car go forward and the Square button makes the car slow down. The joysticks make the car turn. :sly: Toca 3 (or V8 Supercars 3 as it's called in Oz) is the most similar to GT4 that I've ever seen- and if I ever see anyone say that GT4 physics shoulde be like Pro Street again- I will be very angry. Pro Street physics are some of the worst I've ever seen, ever. And I've played arcade games.

and if you really want to drive like a pro, you don't use automatic but manual, which means that R2 and L2 act as shift up/down buttons.

No, cars with a dodgy power curve like the Cuda or GNX or NISMO whatever Skyline it was- that peak way before their redline which is where the Auto shifts. Big power is more controllabe with auto because you can focus on throttle control instead of bothering with which gear you are in as well.

To me Forza was the biggest peice of crap I have ever played and hardest. It's like if your not doing the turn perfectly, your not allowed to stay on course. Who else thinks Forza is the hardest?

Have you played Pro Street, the car doesn't turn at all under acceleration or brakes- you have to coast around corners to do anything.

Well I quite like the idea of NFS Pro Street, but the physics suck so bad that the game needs to be buried and never spoken of again. Good choice on never playing it.;)

What are the creators thinking?

Quick development times with large casual fan base for quick turnover of $$$$$

Why do you think a new NFS game comes every year or so........ It's just for the dollars.

mmmmmm $$$$$$$ :drool:
:lol:
Maybe if they sat down and stopped being idiots they'd make even more $$$$
You can make GT4 too hard if you want- get a 3000GT and buy an LSD and VCD with full power- corner, what corner?

If anyone ever finds GT4 too hard they need a reality check ...and if I ever see anyone say that GT4 physics should be like Pro Street again- I will be very angry. Pro Street physics are some of the worst I've ever seen, ever. And I've played arcade games.
I agree, Need For Speed seems to super-over-exaggerate. the terms "grip" "oversteer" and "nitrous boost." GT4 best mimics physics of a real car (except for the massive understeering)

I've talked to many "Real" Gamers (Those who specialize in RPGs, Platformers, First-Person-shooters, etc.) about this issue, and the one answer I get every time?

License. Tests.

Why? well, to run certian races, you need a certian license. Which wouldn't be a problem, if the tests weren't so difficult for the typical button-masher to master!!! even such gamers as "Gamemaster" Anthony Bault, (someone who beat Sonic 2 at a demo station in a store) tend to shy away from the subject. and alot of it's finesse; the license tests are more difficult than many of the actual races! Why? you have to run with that same car everyone else does, with all of it's glaring flaws, unlike in the main game, where you can drive pretty much what you want.

I imagine a few people have picked up a copy of GT3 or GT4, and ended up never playing it, as they never really got "Good" at it, their skill set being more oriented towards pushing buttons in quick succession and moving analog joysticks in a skilled and precise fashion. (something I never got the hang of.)

My younger brother is shaping up to be one of these guys. He's beaten Kingdom Hearts II in about a month's time. still terrible at GT. Right now, MMORPGs are getting pretty big: you see them in about every crime drama or sitcom nowadays. Hell, there was a Toyota Tacoma commercial not to long ago about that subject.

It's just a different skill set.

it is a very demanding game but i think there is too big a discrepancy between the road courses and the city courses.

driving the city only requires full throtle and bouncing off the walls which is too easy. track driving is maybe too hard b/c any mistake is severely punished.

i guess thats the realism everyone loves but there should be a more middle ground

it is a very demanding game but i think there is too big a discrepancy between the road courses and the city courses.

driving the city only requires full throtle and bouncing off the walls which is too easy. track driving is maybe too hard b/c any mistake is severely punished.

i guess thats the realism everyone loves but there should be a more middle ground

So... you're saying cheating should be made easier at proper tracks, but harder on city tracks?

It's not hard.....like all games, you learn to play it properly....it's not like NFS where you can learn how to drift like Tsuchiya in 5 minutes!! If you can't handle the 600hp cars straightaway, don't drive them......that's why the little hatchbacks and the licence tests are there for, to help you learn HOW to do it all.

That's what gives a good game the longevity it needs to be played over and over again. Add 800+ cars to choose from, 50 tracks, an adjustable AI (on Family Cup), and the ability to build the cars the way you want, I think that's a good recipe for a good game, nothing too hard about it.
If only more company's followed PD's lead and perfect the game before releasing it instead of doing 1 a year (EA Sport's excluded, they always improve on something each time with FIFA, Madden, etc.), the game world would be better for all of us.

And p997gt3, go race on the Special Conditions races (Citti Di Aria, Costa Di Amalfi) and then bash off the walls there.....see what happens and if it makes your race any 'easier'. :mischievous:

Mafs!!

To me Forza was the biggest peice of crap I have ever played and hardest. It's like if your not doing the turn perfectly, your not allowed to stay on course. Who else thinks Forza is the hardest?
I also have Foza. Have you ever taken ABS off, or used the suggested line. Don't keep the line on though, or you'll get too used to it. It's actually easier than Gran Turismo to me, but it seems to easy
it's not like NFS where you can learn how to drift like Tsuchiya in 5 minutes!!
That is so true!! I tell my friends that Need For Speed is so unrealistic that you can go on a 90 degree turn at 60 mph.

Getting back on topic, if GT4 was too hard ( well maybe not for you), don't you think we would've found an easier way to beat it?

GT4 = too easy, too short. The AI is terrible, the gold requirements of the license tests are far too easy and the vehicle requirements for most races are too lenient.

Racing in GT4 is easy, much easier than it should be. Cars calmly and predictably understeer around every corner, barely responding to clumsy and sudden throttle and steering inputs; if you throw a car as hard as you possibly can into a corner (not to be confused with "turn the steering wheel as quickly as you possibly can"), the front tires scream for mercy before the rears even wake up. If you add too much power you'll get wheelspin, but that's okay, because it rarely does much to throw you off of your line. You can brake as hard as you want, too, because ABS is standard and undefeatable on every car, and the weight shift barely ever induces oversteer. Finally, if you don't exercise restraint in tire choice, your car can produce pavement-wrinkling levels of grip.

I'm not saying it's easy to be the fastest WRSer or set world record times, but compared to actual racing and high-speed driving, in some ways GT4 is a cakewalk.

The problem is that it's still much more difficult than the average racing game, which is what people are used to. Also, the general public (ie. anyone that isn't a hardcore car enthusiast and/or professional driver) is oblivious to the handling traits of a car at high speeds, and GT4 replicates them well enough (well, at least the understeer portion) to throw people off.

If GT4 was "too hard for the average gamer" I wouldn't have been doing 1 pt. A-Spec races last night. Because I wouldn't have won a Nissan 350Z Concept Race car

Wolfe, I agree.

It's somewhat funny; Some cars have MONSTROUS lift-off oversteer, and yet... Cars with enormous power (and wheelspin) do not knock themselves sideways as severely as they should...

Thankfully, it sounds like GT5:P is on the right track, particularly in the area of oversteer. I wonder what the "average gamer" or "ordinary Joe" thinks of that game...

I bet we'll be hearing a lot of the "driving on ice" simile once the official PAL and american versions are released. :indiff:

Back