• 35 comments

Matej

Premium
Croatia
Zagreb
GT4 Velocity Challenge
by Matej

346w742.jpg

This challenge also serves as a driving school for people who prefer using cars for drag competitions, something GT series hasn't perfected yet. Each lesson brings new challenges from the world of straightaways you have to overcome to prove you're the best. Follow rules below and submit your times to Matej via PM. The challenge ends on 15th of January 2016.

Lesson I: Learning how to accelerate
Circuit: Machine Test (or Las Vegas Drag Strip) -> 0-400 m
Car: BMW 120d '04
Submission: 0-400 m time only

Car Parts & Services:
  • Oiling
  • Washing
Others:
  • Transmission: Automatic (AT)
  • Tires: Sports Medium (S2)
  • TCS: 1

Note: As a diesel-powered car, the 120d delivers abundant amount of torque on certain zone. Carefully examine the power - torque graph and make sure you engage all of the available torque.

Lesson II: Learning to use benefits of a manual transmission
Circuit: Machine Test -> 0-1000 m
Car: Suzuki Alto Works RS-Z '97
Submission: Both 0-1000 m time and T1 split time

Car Parts & Services:
  • Oiling
  • Washing
Others:
  • Transmission: Manual (MT)
  • TCS: 0

Note: The RS-Z is powered by a demanding engine. Although great for city conditions, one must own advanced skills to use its maximum potential in racing conditions.

Special Note: Save replay of your satisfactory run in order to get access to the T1 split time. This is strongly recommended because if you do additional run afterwards, in case it is slower the game will only keep the 0-1000 record, not allowing you to view T1 split time of the best, previous run anymore.

Lesson III: Learning to use gearbox to boost performance of the car
Car: Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V '01
Submission: 0-1000 m time only

Car Parts & Services:
  • Oiling
  • Washing
  • Semi-Racing Muffler
  • Fully Custom. Gearbox
Others:

Note: High-rev engines require different gearbox setup to deliver full potential. Being a FF car, the GTV is also going to test your acceleration skills. Either delicate throttle dosage or altering the gearbox can be used to reduce wheelspin. The muffler upgrade is here to improve the sound effect and make the accelerating a bit more challenging.

Lesson IV: Learning to use suspension adjustments to improve acceleration
Car: Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 '70

Car Parts & Services:
  • Oiling
  • Washing
  • Semi-racing suspension kit
  • Fully Custom. Gearbox (auto-set to 25 - must not be altered afterwards)
Others:
  • Transmission: Automatic (AT)
  • Tires: Sports Hard (S1)

Note: Muscle cars with their soft suspension and high ground clearance are perfect candidates for the task. Let's see how much you can do with basic upgrades. In order not to annul effect of perfectly adjusted suspension, I eliminated other factors that could disturb your focus on altering the kit.

Special Note: Save replay of your satisfactory run in order to get access to the T1 split time. This is strongly recommended because if you do additional run afterwards, in case it is slower the game will only keep the 0-1000 record, not allowing you to view T1 split time of the best, previous run anymore.

Lesson V: How to use Nitro strategically

A)
Circuit: Machine Test -> Max Speed
Car: Mine's Skyline GT-R N1 V-spec (R34) '00
Submission: Top Speed only

B)
Circuit: Driving Park > Test Course > Photo Drive
Car: Mine's Skyline GT-R N1 V-spec (R34) '00
Submission: T4 checkpoint split time only (if you miss it, view replay of the run)

Car Parts & Services:
  • Oiling
  • Washing
  • Nitro
  • Fully Custom. Gearbox
Others:
  • Tires: Sports Soft (S3)

Note: This test is split into two parts, both which require separate submissions. Nitro is going to play crucial role on both, make sure you find the best way to cope against the drag using this sweet addition. You can alter suspension kit that comes with the car. Drive only inside the second line from the outside wall of the track:

6xs09t.jpg

2zdrb04.jpg

Lesson VI: Choosing engine upgrade

Car: Toyota MR-S V-Edition '02 (available at the Toyota's New Dealership. It features 6-speed 'box)

Car Parts & Services:
  • Oiling
  • Washing
  • Close Gearbox OR Default gearbox
  • NA Stage 2 OR Turbo kit Stage 2 OR Supercharger
Others:

Note: This test is related to different engine tuning patterns. Each upgrade brings certain virtues and drawbacks. Your task is to find the best one and lead the car to victory. You can also decide whether to replace gearbox with the aftermarket unit or not.

Have fun! :)

Results
Lesson I

Driver --- 0-400m
Matej --- 0'15.791
(+ 0'00.033 sec) Shotamagee --- 0'15.824
(+ 0'00.153 sec) Harsk100 --- 0'15.944

Lesson II

Driver --- T1, 0-1000m
Harsk100 --- 0'21.128, 0'38.607
(0'00.154 + 0'00.295 = + 0'00.449 sec) Matej --- 0'21.282, 0'38.902
(0'00.439 + 0'00.525 = + 0'00.964 sec) Shotamagee --- 0'21.567, 0'39.132

Lesson III

Driver --- 0-1000m
Shotamagee --- 0'27.231
(+ 0'00.222 sec) Matej --- 0'27.453
(+ 0'00.723 sec) Harsk100 --- 0'27.954

Lesson IV

Driver --- T1, 0-1000m
Shotamagee --- 0'13.863, 0'24.463
(0'00.016 + 0'00.016 = + 0'00.032 sec) Matej --- 0'13.879, 0'24.479
Harsk100 --- NDF

Lesson V (A)

Driver --- Speed (KPH)
Shotamagee --- 401.43
(+ 0'00.100 sec) Matej --- 400.54
Harsk100 --- NDF

Lesson V (B)

Driver --- T4
Shotamagee --- 1'18.652
(+ 0'04.336 sec) Matej --- 1'22.988
Harsk100 --- NDF

Lesson VI

Driver [upgrade] --- T1, 0-1000m
Shotamagee [supercharger] --- 13.641, 24.829
(0'00.239 + 0'00.237 = + 0'00.476 sec) Matej [supercharger] --- 0'13.880, 0'25.066
Harsk100 --- NDF

Total Penalty Seconds
Shotamagee --- + 0'00.997 sec
Matej --- + 0'05.615 sec
Harsk100 --- + 0'10.764 sec

* Results deemed as 'NDF' double the penalty seconds given to next highly ranked driver.

Winner by Least Amount of Penalty Seconds

<<< Shotamagee >>>

Won Disciplines
Shotamagee --- 7 out of 10
Harsk100 --- 2 out of 10
Matej --- 1 out of 10

* Some Lessons consist of two disciplines, depending on the content required for submission.

Winner by Won Disciplines

<<< Shotamagee >>>

Last edited:
This is an incredible idea. I wish I had a PS2, and a copy of GT4 to participate.

I hope many join in this because I would like to see the competition.

I have updated the Lesson III and way of submitting your times for all Lessons, make sure you read them carefully. :)

Where are the lessons themselves, though? The OP looks more like the tests you take after the lessons.

I hope nobody has started racing yet, as I would like to consider using Plymouth Cuda for the Lesson IV. Do not attempt the Lesson IV until I figure out if the car could do the same job, since it is easier to acquire.
Where are the lessons themselves, though? The OP looks more like the tests you take after the lessons.
The Lessons are the Tests, where solutions aren't explicitly visible. Once we conclude the challenge, I may summarize thoughts of all competitors and update the OP.

EDIT: Ah, never mind, we're going to use the Chevelle on the Lesson IV. Nothing changes, we can start racing. :)

Last edited:
With some time off over xmas, this may tempt me to play some GT4 again.
Even if we don't get anymore participants, if you submit your times, I'll run them through point system.

By the way, have you started with the fifth lesson? I would consider replacing the Option Z with something else, it has two drawbacks that negatively affects this test. But if you've already made some progress, I'll keep the Option Z.

Even if we don't get anymore participants, if you submit your times, I'll run them through point system.

By the way, have you started with the fifth lesson? I would consider replacing the Option Z with something else, it has two drawbacks that negatively affects this test. But if you've already made some progress, I'll keep the Option Z.

Haven't started, so change away if you wish. Also submit times on forum or via PM?

Haven't started, so change away if you wish. Also submit times on forum or via PM?
Yes, all times should be sent via PM.

And I'm going to change the car for the Lesson V. I might as well change the car for the Lesson III, I think I found better candidate for the task. I'll have no choice but to buy few other FWD V6 cars and see which one is better. I'll edit this post or post a new message as soon as possible.

In case anyone would like to start driving, the Lesson I and II won't be changed, they are perfect as they are.

Okay, I've reached the conclusion. For the Lesson V we are going to use the Mine's Skyline GT-R N1 V-spec (R34) '00. The OP has been updated.

And I'm not going to change the Lessons III and IV. I may add another Lesson (VI), but I have to do some testings first. At this point we have five complete Lessons to deal with.

Point system is going to be updated soon, I'm refining last pieces.

I want to participate, but I need to plug my PS2.
We have plenty of time, so you don't need to rush.

Last edited:
Okay, I have updated the OP with additional Lesson (VI). This should be fine now, I clearly doubt I'll change or add anything else.

Important Edit: Due to limitations the game enforces on Max Speed test, we'll have to run the Lesson V two times, each in different mode. The OP has been updated, read it carefully.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

I have 1 doubt:

Why can't we go on the left side in the 5th lesson which is Max Speed test?
To make conditions equal for all participants. Driving on a banked corner is also more suitable for the lesson that test is trying to teach us.

Last edited:
Having now attempted most of these here are some notes / queries.

Test1, only variable is going to be launch RPM, AT & TCS make everything else very straight forward.
Test2, good test, but doing 1000 metres in a slow car takes a while (esp if you run it a few times, trying to find the optimal shift points)
Test3, Like this test, would have prefered TCS @ 0, but I understand we're testing gearbox setup not launch with this one.
Test4, Long gearbox & TCS take most of the challenge of using the suspension to get off the line quickly out of this test, also surely the Chevelle does not sound like that in real life.
Test 5, Should specify MPH or KPH for units & I assume we can change the gearbox setup as well as suspension for both, but a good set of tests, though I rim rode part A and then hugged the inside yellow line for part B as this is the best way to get a higher top speed & then a lower time. Do you want us only to submit speeds / times where we run between the two outside yellow lines? (because your description is different to the pictures IMO)

EDIT Test 6, Pretty fun test, It's surprising how close a slightly tuned MR-S gets to the Chevelle after 1000m.

Times submitted, settings & conclusions after results posted.

Last edited:
Okay, now we have all the submissions. I'm going to upload the results in about 48 hours. If you have submitted something incorrectly or have misunderstood certain Lesson, post warning here and I'll postpone the results valuation until you update the submission.

Anyway, I'm now going to explain how will the valuation of your results work. Because we have only three competitors on the grid and the times are going to be relatively close, I'll simply sum up all the results. The participant with the least overall time is the winner although I will also post a winner by number of won categories. On tests where speed was measured, the fastest competitor's time will be reduced (-) by 0'00.100 seconds.

Test1, only variable is going to be launch RPM, AT & TCS make everything else very straight forward.
Test2, good test, but doing 1000 metres in a slow car takes a while (esp if you run it a few times, trying to find the optimal shift points)
Test3, Like this test, would have prefered TCS @ 0, but I understand we're testing gearbox setup not launch with this one.
Test4, Long gearbox & TCS take most of the challenge of using the suspension to get off the line quickly out of this test, also surely the Chevelle does not sound like that in real life.

Thank you for the conclusion! I had to enforce TCS on some tests to eliminate other factors that would get in the way and to take into consideration players who may have health problems with their fingers. I do notice there is place for the challenge improvements in future.

Should specify MPH or KPH for units

What units did you guys use @Harsk100 , @shotamagee , KPH or MPH?

I used KPH. We are going to use the unit that gets the 2/3 majority.

I assume we can change the gearbox setup as well as suspension for both

Yep, you can change suspension, gearbox and nitro on that test.

but a good set of tests, though I rim rode part A and then hugged the inside yellow line for part B as this is the best way to get a higher top speed & then a lower time. Do you want us only to submit speeds / times where we run between the two outside yellow lines? (because your description is different to the pictures IMO)

As long as you are within the second line (as shown in the pic) it is okay. If you have run over it a little bit that is still okay, the car has tendency to wander around, so it doesn't have to be 100% precise.

Lesson IV & V.
If D-pad is not working you can try navigating with Analog sticks. Certain buttons that do not work can be mapped differently in Options.

But if the entire controller is out of function, let me know if you want us to wait for you or pronounce the results when the time comes?

I'm sorry this happened.

If D-pad is not working you can try navigating with Analog sticks. Certain buttons that do not work can be mapped differently in Options.

But if the entire controller is out of function, let me know if you want us to wait for you or pronounce the results when the time comes?

I'm sorry this happened.
My D-pad and Analog sticks work very fine, but the problem is that the buttons of Square and Cross are pressed all together when in reality I'm not pressing. My car always slows down because of this problem.

My D-pad and Analog sticks work very fine, but the problem is that the buttons of Square and Cross are pressed all together when in reality I'm not pressing. My car always slows down because of this problem.
Try mapping the buttons differently. Assign camera angle and rear view function to Square and Cross, they never continuously change during the race unless you press the buttons again.

Well I normally use KPH, but I submitted both, so it shouldn't matter for me, your comp you decide.

I also made use of mapping, by changed my brake (square) to the Nitrous button, just because it was easier for those Lesson 5 runs.

Also as long as you've saved your top speed run (ie if it's one of the top ten times on the rankings sheet) just go back to the machine test and change the units (in settings) over to MPH or KPH, then review the rankings, you just have to know which one of the ten top speeds that particular run was, that's how I submitted both.

You should be familiar with this menu as it's also where you go to change from AT to MT (and vice versa), which you have to do for some of these tests.

Last edited:
Well I normally use KPH, but I submitted both, so it shouldn't matter for me, your comp you decide.

In that case we are going to use MPH, I will check my Rankings sheet and convert the value, it should be there.

I'm now waiting for @Harsk100 's response regarding the button mapping and his controller.

Try mapping the buttons differently. Assign camera angle and rear view function to Square and Cross, they never continuously change during the race unless you press the buttons again.
Well, it would be a good idea. 👍

Back