GT4 will have an online mode

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biased turkey
  • 33 comments
  • 1,822 views
Messages
537
That's what the EBgame webpage says and it will be released on december 14 2004.
Here is the link
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/236416.asp

...
Gran Turismo also features better force feedback steering wheel support and a new online racing mode to make the next edition of Gran Turismo the best yet. Check back soon for more details and features!
 
Woo hoo!!! :rolleyes:
 
The page just hasn't been updated. Many stores do crap like this.

That's hardly official info either.
 
I agree! I've seen so much false information about GT4 from online-shops lately that I wouldn't believe a word until it's official.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
OMG i cant believe you have posted this. yes, they may state it, but so do many other stores. the reason i cant believe you have posted this is because KY has said HIMSELF that the online mode is NOT in the game. now thats confirmation for ya.
 
Yeah ... Yamu-san has already stated that there's not gonna be an online version available until April or so of next year IIRC :grumpy:.
 
Where's Der_Alta when you need him? Where's the "*click* Done. ...AO" deal?
 
VTGT07
Yeah ... Yamu-san has already stated that there's not gonna be an online version available until April or so of next year IIRC :grumpy:.

Online in April? That means I'll buy the game in December then buy it in April just for the online facility. Seems like an expensive con, unless PD sell the online version for half the price.
 
So, what shouild I do ?
Sue EB games for false advertisement, collect the $ 10,000,000 I'll win after the trial and with that money hire the whole PD team so they can come with the online feature in GT4 ?
 
You know whats funny about the whole online bit? Supposedly GT4:Mobile, the PSP version, will be online before the console version gets online. :odd:
 
Wouldn't matter to me.. I'm not getting a PSP, much less GT4M. Nor am I getting a network adapter anytime soon, so I couldn't care less about online. Hell, I'd be pissed if they DID delay the game just to put online in it, since it's a feature I'll never use.
 
Jedi2016
Wouldn't matter to me.. I'm not getting a PSP, much less GT4M. Nor am I getting a network adapter anytime soon, so I couldn't care less about online. Hell, I'd be pissed if they DID delay the game just to put online in it, since it's a feature I'll never use.

They did delay the game due to online issues (then said they'd been fixed afterwards)... & now the game isn't even going to come with online. :dunce:
 
I just got an e-mail from Gamestop saying the game will be released Jan. 1 2005.
 
T5-R
They did delay the game due to online issues (then said they'd been fixed afterwards)... & now the game isn't even going to come with online. :dunce:

I watched an interview today on Kikizo, with kaz where he said he had got all the software working for online, its just he wasnt happy with Network problems which couldnt be solved, i.e the latency causing the skipping motion of opponents, he said this is a problem that will always there, and no software modification will improve it.
He doesnt want to include it like that because GT is Smooth and he doesnt think we will like it if its a bit jumpy its not in the spirit of a GT game.

So im not really sure what hes going to wait for, before releasing online because lag latency will always be there.

Although at the time of the interview online was still in.
 
T5-R
They did delay the game due to online issues (then said they'd been fixed afterwards)... & now the game isn't even going to come with online. :dunce:

Online mode was responsible for a long development cycle, but a "delay" only happens when a release is announced and then changed. And since there was no announced release date until TGS... well... :dunce:

You obviously missed the point of my post. If that's the case, I'm not going to bother explaining it.
 
240Z
I just got an e-mail from Gamestop saying the game will be released Jan. 1 2005.

PLEASE tell me you're joking! 🤬:banghead:
 
Gamestop's site now lists the date as 1/3/05, you can check it yourself.
 
Online in April? That means I'll buy the game in December then buy it in April just for the online facility. Seems like an expensive con, unless PD sell the online version for half the price.

Judging by PD/Sony's not exactly cheap pricing of GT4:P, I doubt it will be sold any cheaper than the original game.
Games like Twisted Metal Black had an online only version, but I can't remember that being any cheaper.
 
With The Online titles release and the subsequent costs of setting up the network. GTN, I can only see GT online being on a subscription service.
Due to the huge costs involved and the limited saleabilty of an online only game.

If it had been incorporated Into GT4 people could have been tempted to hook into the online side , but with a stand alone game you are only going to appeal to those that already play online.

If it ever appears, Im also pretty sure its not going to see the light of day much before Xmas 2005, and in fact im even more convinced that GT will not go online till PS3 and GT5 appear.
 
GTXLR
I watched an interview today on Kikizo, with kaz where he said he had got all the software working for online, its just he wasnt happy with Network problems which couldnt be solved, i.e the latency causing the skipping motion of opponents, he said this is a problem that will always there, and no software modification will improve it.
He doesnt want to include it like that because GT is Smooth and he doesnt think we will like it if its a bit jumpy its not in the spirit of a GT game.

So im not really sure what hes going to wait for, before releasing online because lag latency will always be there.

Although at the time of the interview online was still in.

He's never heard lof lag before? It's a pretty naive attitude to have... there would be no online games if everybody applied this logic!
 
kinigitt
He's never heard lof lag before? It's a pretty naive attitude to have... there would be no online games if everybody applied this logic!

He'd heard of it, he said the code was optimised but there was nothing he could do about network lag, that was a hardware issue that hes waiting to be solved/fixed.
Hmmmmmmm a long long wait i think.
 
If I understand correctly, lag has a different impact on racing games.. one split second of lag, and you lose the race. As much of a perfectionist as KY is, it doesn't surprise me that he finds this unacceptable.

Twisted Metal Black Online was dirt cheap.. I think only twenty bucks. And if you had the first (non-online) game, you got the Online for five bucks or something incredibly cheap like that.

Considering that online still represents a pretty small percentage of total gamers, I doubt they'll work too hard to get online going for this game. Whatever remaining delays there are won't have anything to do with online.
 
latency = lag
 
VTGT07
latency = lag

I know that, but from what he's saying, he shouldn't have even bothered, as latency is not something you can control.

and you would have to be lagging pretty badly to screw up your race, because PGR2 and Toca 2, as well as the many online PC racing games have some of the most intense, cut throat competition you can find in video games, despite some people "hopping around" a little bit.
 
Jedi2016
Online mode was responsible for a long development cycle, but a "delay" only happens when a release is announced and then changed. And since there was no announced release date until TGS... well... :dunce:

You obviously missed the point of my post. If that's the case, I'm not going to bother explaining it.

They originally wanted to release it for xmas '04. Just because its not stamped OFFICIAL doesn't make it any less a release date as long as it comes from the developer in my book. The TGS release date wasn't any more official then several others :dunce: Since they knew they were going to miss it they released GT : P to appease Logitech & the Japanese games market which was eagerly wanting to play GT4. I'd call that a delay myself but if you don't want to, good for you, have a medal.

GTXLR
He'd heard of it, he said the code was optimised but there was nothing he could do about network lag, that was a hardware issue that hes waiting to be solved/fixed.

Hmmmmmmm a long long wait i think.

There will always be some form of lag & if the netcode was that good it wouldn't be much of a problem anyway. Theres always gonna be difficulties playing someone thousands & thousands of miles away atleast for now. Evidently he hasn't played any of the other successful online driving games which if you have a reasonable ping <80 lag isn't generally a problem anyway. Maybe the PS2 simply can't handle it.

And yeah sounds like we won't see online till GT5 :rolleyes:
 
240Z
I just got an e-mail from Gamestop saying the game will be released Jan. 1 2005.

That is crap, what are PD up to?
 
Meh, I've gotten 3 or so similar e-mails in the past 2 or 3 weeks, so it may change.
 
Check this out.
The online components inside the game itself reportedly work perfectly.
What caused PD to axe the online RACING components was the fact that KY and PD AND Sony wanted a seamless network. But a worldwide network was something they couldn't get to mesh properly. There were problems between zones and a lot of language and liscensing problems. I think everyone should just learn English, huh?

On the other hand, it is unclear yet, but you may be able to access a worldwide database for d/ling your times and scores...maybe even a worldwide used car lot?
 
Back