GT40 in real life! And Ford GT Pics

  • Thread starter Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 69 comments
  • 3,243 views
fast1
đź’ˇ
Maybe somebody stole the it.

It's a hubcap.

Or maybe he had just put on his winter tyres, on the front wheels only (since the car is FWD).

It's a hubcap. The winter tyres would also be in steel wheels, you just transfer the hubcap.

Or maybe he always wanted a Mercedes, but couldn't afford one

If he can afford a new Passat in the UK he can probably afford a 3-year-old C-class.
 
Here's a pic my dad took of me in front of a '60s GT40 that was rebuilt and restored. It was taken at the Philly Auto Show a year or two ago... (I apologize for being in the picture, but my dad told me to get in the picture at the time. I don't know why he didn't take TWO pictures, but that's just him...)
It's not that good of quality, cause I had to resize and crop it to get under the file size limit for an attatchement...
 

Attachments

  • tdyj.JPG
    tdyj.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 33
Try Imageshack for big files it free also. Oh and dont say sorry bout being in the picture man it just a natural thing people do.
 
daan
To illustrate this, spot the odd car out.

ferry.jpg

Look down the 1st row from the left 3 cars down also, or about 2 cars over from the GT40.

Ferrari (Dino?)
 
M5Power
Not exactly a testament to the durability of Passat hubcaps.
Off topic, but I don't know why all automakers don't do like Honda (used to) on the Accord--design the hubcap to the lug nuts go on after it, thereby locking it on.
 
Very nice Camaroboy 👍. I bet it looks a lot lower to the ground than in the pictures. You always get that impression when seeing cars in person.
 
skip0110
Off topic, but I don't know why all automakers don't do like Honda (used to) on the Accord--design the hubcap to the lug nuts go on after it, thereby locking it on.

Is that why I see so many 90-93 Accords around with parts of their hubcaps missing?
 
M5Power
Is that why I see so many 90-93 Accords around with parts of their hubcaps missing?
Yep. But thats because these fools hit a curb or something similar while parallel parking. But at least you won't loose the whole hubcap, and no one can steal them. And even with a piece missing, that lookls a fair bit better than driving around with a black steelie.
 
There also looks like there's a Jaguar E-Type.
 
skip0110
Yep. But thats because these fools hit a curb or something similar while parallel parking. But at least you won't loose the whole hubcap, and no one can steal them. And even with a piece missing, that lookls a fair bit better than driving around with a black steelie.

Maybe for a few cars, but if every car with hubcaps had pieces fall off it'd be horrible. I'd rather the whole thing come off - what is it at a dealer, $20?
 
icemanshooter23
Very nice Camaroboy 👍. I bet it looks a lot lower to the ground than in the pictures. You always get that impression when seeing cars in person.
Yup it looks like it sits up high in the pics because my Camaro sits soo low. :) I would say side by side mine might sit lower. Depending on what part of the car you compare to.
 
Dad has driven a GT40 (genuine - not a replica) once before.

The owner bought it into Dad's work because it had a hole in the exhaust piping or something, so Dad made him a stainless steel exhaust.

He then took it for a spin around the block...

He told me that when you are driving it, you are so low to the ground that your always get that urge/feeling you should grab onto something higher like the dashboard so that your behind doesn't hit the ground! :D

The Skyline he owns is a very fast car (fastest car i've been in/driven) and basically he said the GT40 leaves it for dead more than easily. He said that when you floor it in the Skyline it is just like lightly accellerating in the GT40. :eek:

The car is still in the same town he works in too but doesn't know which house or anything.

I've seen a GT40 racing once (not going full bore as it was too fast for the temporary track it was going around) but never had a decent look at one. :(
 
Pooh_Bare
By the way the blue and orange paint job is probably a replica of the Gulf racing colours (mostly blue with orange chin and stripes over roof if I remember correctly)


Gulf used the blue and orange, but they also had one with a large orange triangle pointing forward on the hood, and one with just a plain orange stripe going down across the chin, not flaring out the the paint you described. What you described is the most famous version of the Gulf powder-blue/orange paint.

The GT-40 M.K. III, in road car form, was acutally one of the uglier versions. The headlights were made larger, which makes the car much less graceful than earlier versions. Look up the Barret-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, AZ from 2 (I think) years ago. There was a blue M.K. III up for auction there.

FUN FACT: Ford also made an open version of the GT-40
FUN FACT #2: The name GT-40 comes from the height of the car, 40 ". The new GT's designation would be GT-44, in keeping with this scheme (44" high).
 
Nice pic! Look at the size of that rear tire! wow. I want that car!!
 
240Z
The GT-40 M.K. III, in road car form, was acutally one of the uglier versions. The headlights were made larger, which makes the car much less graceful than earlier versions. Look up the Barret-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, AZ from 2 (I think) years ago. There was a blue M.K. III up for auction there.
I think I saw that car on the block (on TV). It went for a pretty good amount of money. I don't remember how much exactly but it was over $100,000 and it was well worth it.
 
CAMAROBOY69
Nice pic! Look at the size of that rear tire! wow. I want that car!!
Yeah. It was a dream-come-true to see that car in real life!
 
nice pics of the GT 👍
90.jpg

91.jpg
 
BMW X5 SPORTS
nice pics of the gt40 👍


Actually thats a Ford GT not a GT40.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I..I..can't STAND IT ANYMORE!!!! :crazy: I must own a Ford GT in the future...That car...I CANNOT RESIST TO OWNING ONE! :crazy: It looks so beautiful, so powerful and priced under a Ferrari and Lamborghini! :O 👍
 
Victor Vance
:drool: A GT Mk. III. Now there's a car that can bring even a diehard Chevy fan to tears.
Or Holden.;)
 
Compared to a "real" GT40, the GT actually looks a lot bigger. The extra size is really noticable. The rear of a GT is absolutely horrible compared to the original.
 
IMHO, I find the GT's look more appealing than the GT40. The GT40s didn't look that nice to me. To me, they looked Ford had tried to breed a muscle car and a super car.

I like GT way more.
 
McLaren F1GTR
IMHO, I find the GT's look more appealing than the GT40. The GT40s didn't look that nice to me. To me, they looked Ford had tried to breed a muscle car and a super car.

I like GT way more.

BLASPHEMY!
 
DrogoGTO
BLASPHEMY!
:lol: Well, that's original...

I agree, though, kinda. I like the look of both, but I do understand what you meant by "breeding a super car and muscle car." Quite frankly, I think the GT looks more like a "super car" but that's only cause I've seen it in pictures, not on the street...so to me, it is a super car. (Plus when you look at the specs....500hp...)
 
DrogoGTO
BLASPHEMY!

Interesting.

The GT40 has got very good looks, ill admit, but I'll have to say that the Ford GT looks more desirable. It is a very fine beast indeed!
 
Back