GT4's Graphics

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 58 comments
  • 7,630 views
Well I have to say 480i in GT3 verses 1080i in GT4 is a huge change in graphics.. so that's what im experiencing.. I suppose if I played GT4 on a normal tube television it wouldn't look much better than GT3.

Jay
 
Is the max level of DPI soley dependent on your Telivision, or do other factors play in?

I'm having problems with my copy. It won't even let me select 480dpi, it says I have to use "normal" only, which who knows how much that is. Now it looks like my old PS1 games 👎. Nothing like the shots I've seen posted on here, that's for sure (very grainy, etc ). Also, I have that glicthing problem, but it's pretty bad.

As of right now, I'm really upset. I own a brand new Slim PS2, and I just spent $54 dollers for this game, and nothing seems to be going right :nervous:.

Anyone have any ideas?
 
First of all, who's the guilty party for reviving this thread? Usually an older thread is updated with relevant info, but here, it's not all that bad. I'm not hatin'. And if this thread sounded dumb from the first post, it's only because I've changed my style on the 'Planet since then. This was back when everyone hounded on me for long posts.

Having said this, the graphics are really sweet. About the last most detailed game I've played was TOCA Race Driver 2. The graphical detail was sensational to me. Whether you're racing a 1967 Mustang around Laguna Seca or a Jaguar XKE at one of my favorite circuits, the A1 Ring, the graphics looked very well and were HUGE steps up from "Pro Race Driver." Even most of you have to admit. You can't say this game looks worse than GT3 because I think the graphics were upgraded greatly.
 
justin:
Is the max level of DPI soley dependent on your Telivision, or do other factors play in?

I'm having problems with my copy. It won't even let me select 480dpi, it says I have to use "normal" only, which who knows how much that is. Now it looks like my old PS1 games 👎. Nothing like the shots I've seen posted on here, that's for sure (very grainy, etc ). Also, I have that glicthing problem, but it's pretty bad.

As of right now, I'm really upset. I own a brand new Slim PS2, and I just spent $54 dollers for this game, and nothing seems to be going right :nervous:.

Anyone have any ideas?
No ideas here, but I know what you mean! its extremely grainy, even in 1080i. I too have a slim PS2. I have a 2k5 55" Mitsu... :yuck:
 
I wish GT5's in-game graphics be similar to GT4's intro... The GT4 intro was good (except the music in the US version *panama*)...
 
live4speed
On another note John, you said theres a chance of LMP cars (open top LM cars are caled LMP, closed top LM cars like the Bentley are called LMR's), the chance is a reality, I'm sure you've seen the Peugeot Courage C60, I hope to see many more of them though.

LMP = Le Mans Prototype - it had 3 classes, LMP900 and LMP675 (with the numbers meaning the min. weight in kilograms) which are open cars, and LMP-GT are the closed cars (i.e. the Bentley). LMP900 and 675 are now actually called LMP1 and LMP2 - thought the change is a bit more complex then a straight cross-over. :crazy:

Given how good graphically GT3 was, they would have to pull out something very special for GT4 - and the inclusion of drivers and the like proves that. The PhotoMode gives some scarily real-life looking photos. sadly -it'll be a while before i see it myself, but GT4P certainly gave some clues. I cant imagine the detail GT5 could carry... :scared:
 
Rport03
Sorry to burst bubbles but yet another talk about he graphics, maybe someone should do a search before posting, thank you...

eat a dick
 
You want to get banned, jb23fan? That last post isn't going to make the Moderators happy. Calm down, man. Watch your language as well. Vulgarity and verbal attacks against people are against the rules here. I'm only warning you before a Moderator does his/her part.
 
Black95Z28
No ideas here, but I know what you mean! its extremely grainy, even in 1080i. I too have a slim PS2. I have a 2k5 55" Mitsu... :yuck:

Thanks. I'm using an RF Modulator and out of the box cables. I'm thinking this may be the source of the problem. The games menue, movies, PS2's DVD, and the cable TV looks excellent, but the in-game driving just looks horrible. That's what's throwing me off. I'll have to experiment with some ideas I have.
 
I heard this "crazy" thing as I bought the game from my local retailer. The guy told me 1080i only works if you have a ps2 hard drive and a tv that supports it. Now the latter requirement is a no brainer, maybe I haven't been reading the forums very closely, but no one has said anything about needing a hard drive for 1080i mode. Anyone know anything about this?
 
angryman156
I heard this "crazy" thing as I bought the game from my local retailer. The guy told me 1080i only works if you have a ps2 hard drive and a tv that supports it. Now the latter requirement is a no brainer, maybe I haven't been reading the forums very closely, but no one has said anything about needing a hard drive for 1080i mode. Anyone know anything about this?


Humm Thats ODD
thconfused06.gif
533.gif
 
1080i is simply an output format.
The native resolution of the game is still 640x480 which makes 480p very easy.
If you are having trouble with 1080i, the problem is with your set...not the PS2.
Anybody running it thru a VGA box or DVI?
I would like to know how that looks.
I am currently playing on my 32" CRT (about 400 lines horiz.) and it looks great.

Also, GT5 should look quite a bit better than the opening movie.
Remeber those Nike "Gridiron" commercials from about a year ago?
Completely CG...in the snow...great action.
Supposedly, PS3 will be capable on that level.
I've even heard that true "round" objects are possible.

Instead of thinking about how GT5 looks, I want to know how GT4 will look on the PS3...hopefully with some nice graphical increases like better rez,
 
DevilGTx
1080i is simply an output format.
The native resolution of the game is still 640x480 which makes 480p very easy.
If you are having trouble with 1080i, the problem is with your set...not the PS2.
Anybody running it thru a VGA box or DVI?
I would like to know how that looks.
I am currently playing on my 32" CRT (about 400 lines horiz.) and it looks great.

Also, GT5 should look quite a bit better than the opening movie.
Remeber those Nike "Gridiron" commercials from about a year ago?
Completely CG...in the snow...great action.
Supposedly, PS3 will be capable on that level.
I've even heard that true "round" objects are possible.

Instead of thinking about how GT5 looks, I want to know how GT4 will look on the PS3...hopefully with some nice graphical increases like better rez,


Well I don't actually own a tv capable of 1080i yet, but I just wanted to know the truth behind that, no one has mentioned it and the guy selling it to me said that so I just needed some conformation.
 
Nope...no HD required.
But you will need the proper cables.
My brother has a 780 LCD projector.
We watched the 500 on Sunday and WOW! did it look GOOD!
I can't wait to see GT4 on it.

Speaking of Daytona, why isn't Daytona in GT?
Or Indy?

Probably, someone else owns the rights.
 
DevilGTx
Nope...no HD required.
But you will need the proper cables.
My brother has a 780 LCD projector.
We watched the 500 on Sunday and WOW! did it look GOOD!
I can't wait to see GT4 on it.

Speaking of Daytona, why isn't Daytona in GT?
Or Indy?

Probably, someone else owns the rights.

Exactly!

I'd just like to say that GT4's graphics are simply fantastic.
 
DevilGTx
Nope...no HD required.
But you will need the proper cables.
My brother has a 780 LCD projector.
We watched the 500 on Sunday and WOW! did it look GOOD!
I can't wait to see GT4 on it.

Speaking of Daytona, why isn't Daytona in GT?
Or Indy?

Probably, someone else owns the rights.

What sort of cables? are they known as like hdtv cables or 1080i cables? Its something that would be ps2 specific right? Since the ps2 has its own special video port?
 
Component cable...which used to be called RGB.
It will have the plug that fits into the PS2 output port, but instead of the normal yellow/red/white plugs (RCA), it will have the red/white for stereo sound and three more plugs each transmitting an individual scan color.

I have a cable I purchased at Gamestop for $14.99 which has both PS2 AND XBox A/V plugs ending in the 5 plug component output.
Also, there are some expensive cable sets that even feature the optical link for DTS sound.
If you want some better quality out of your non-HD set, there are S-video cables available.
 
I see some kind of dithering pattens all over the screen when using the 480p / 1080i mode to display on my new 42" plasma tv. Are these patterns normal when running gt4 at these modes? Anyone seeing the same thing?? I'm worrying about there's something wrong with my TV :indiff:

Anyone can help?
 
BBchio -

I have the dithering textures as well, everybody has that who uses 480P/1080i.. reason being is that the PS2 isn't truly designed to output 480p/1080i.. software developers have to use some software trickery to get the PS2 to output in those modes, so the trade off is dithering in the textures to make it happen.

Compare 480P/720P/1080I on the Xbox on your TV verses higher resolutions on the PS2 and you'll see how nice the Xbox handles it.

Granted, atleast 480P/1080i in GT4 still looks better than 480i.

So no worries, I see the nasty textures too on my 53" RPCRT.

Jay
 
WRX02Slowness
BBchio -

I have the dithering textures as well, everybody has that who uses 480P/1080i.. reason being is that the PS2 isn't truly designed to output 480p/1080i.. software developers have to use some software trickery to get the PS2 to output in those modes, so the trade off is dithering in the textures to make it happen.

Compare 480P/720P/1080I on the Xbox on your TV verses higher resolutions on the PS2 and you'll see how nice the Xbox handles it.

Granted, atleast 480P/1080i in GT4 still looks better than 480i.

So no worries, I see the nasty textures too on my 53" RPCRT.

Jay

Thanks Jay!

I agree that 1080i is still better than 480i (normal) ....

Too bad I don't have any other devices (like xbox) which can output 1080i, I can't make any comparison...
 
WRX02Slowness
Xbox is downright beautiful in HD.. PS2 cannot compete.


Agreed, even Project Gotham Racing 2 in 480p looks better than GT4 in 1080i.
 
Rallisport Championship 2 on xbox, while not photorealistic like GT4, in 480p is easily better graphically than GT4, period.

I own both games, I've played GT4 in 480i, 480p, and 1080i, I play it mostly in 480p bc I get a lot less jaggies that way, and it fills up my tv (4x3 hdtv sony kv32hs510).

Hand down rallisport has it beat, although the best tracks, like the ring, costa de amalfi, etc. are incredible. the sharpness, is amazing, but rallisport is nicer.
 
I get the dithering of textures as well on my 46" widescreen Sony (RPCRT) at 1080i. 480i hurts my eyes and I can see more jaggies with 480p. I've accepted that the PS2 can only do 480p in some games like Jak3 and Soul Calibur II. I think we're going to have to wait until the PS3 comes out before we can get HD videogaming that will rival the Xbox/Xbox2. For now, I'll just expect great picture from 1080i channels on TV (Fox HD, etc) and 480p DVDs. Spiderman 2 rocks in 480p.
 
JohnBM01
Hello, GT Planet.

Looking at the amount of detail in GT4, it is so lovely and... well, detailed. Someone put on some sweet-voiced music for me? Thank you:

(Playing: "Carrickfergus" - Charlotte Church, from CD "Enchantment")

Charlotte Church. I'd hit that long and hard!
 
Hemmo
i dont know have i just missed it or dosent there are any photos of the real game not replays but when you are driving?? i havent seen one..

Nah, none really, but considering that the replays are rendered using the same exact engine as when you're driving all that changes is the angle and the gauges at the bottom, they likley dont do it cuz the guages would not look pretty.
 
Hi, hope this question doesn't sound too stupid, because I know nothing about it, k.

I just ordered an RBG cable for the ps2 and i'm confused

On the downstairs tv which i thought was RBG compatible, when i press help the only channels it changes into are av1 and av2.

But when i do the same on the upstairs tv, it has cvb2, cvbs2 and rgb.

Just wondering if i need the rbg channel to use rgb thing? or will it run from av1 from the downstairs tv?

sorry if it sounds stupid, but i really have no clue :ouch:

Thanks :)
 
Back