GT5 and my wallet. Friends?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Captain Roh
  • 48 comments
  • 3,849 views
Messages
1,762
United Kingdom
NG9
Messages
Shin_Roh
It's very obvious to me that Sony realizes it has a veritable cash cow in Gran Turismo 5. I'm just wondering exactly how much they think they can take from me. I live in the UK so feel free to do your own calculations, but this is how I see my statement looking when all the dust settles:

Gran Turismo 5: £40

Recently confirmed downloadable content, although specifics are to be announced, suggests another profitable revenue:

Per car: £1.70
Car pack: £3.99
No. of car packs!?... 'Piece of string' and 'how long is a' come to mind.
Return of GTTV maybe

Then there's the proposed premium psn service, which isn't GT related I know, but let's face it, if it improves the online experience, or offers some premium exclusive content, it WILL be the first game I consider purchasing it for.

Premium PSN: £10 per month

As some other members have stated

Steering wheel: £60 - £300
Maybe a tv: £600 avg

All prices are approximated, estimated, speculated by myself obviously, and based on previous experience and/or how much I would actually pay, but as you can see, depending on the longevity of the title, and the amount of DLC they provide us, GT5 is a full on monetary commitment!

I guess the reason I put this out there is to see if anyone really cares. I for one will probably pay whatever is asked of me, and if the majority is in the same boat, sony have us well and truely over a barrel. They can just sit back and ponder; 'Release, or not to release', :lol:. That is the god damned question!

When all is said and done though,

Owning GT5: Priceless

/cheese
 
Last edited:
so where did you see these "confirmed" DLC packs?

and if I remember correctly, sony already canned the idea of having a "premium" psn service
 
£40 would be for the standard GT5 version. If there's the rumoured premium version, that'll be more like £60.

Regarding the premium PSN rumour, if you look at what it's supposed to include, none of this is the least bit important in order to play GT5, so forget about it.

Regarding download content, I have two points. Firstly, PD/Kaz have already announced they're not even looking in to this, and even if they do, it'll probably be the content featured in the premuim version of GT5, being made available to the non-premium buyers. A secondly, the whole point of dlc is so that you can buy what and when you want based on your own available funds. Besides, if you can afford a PS3 and GT5, then a couple of £ for dlc shouldn't be an issue. So again, don't worry about it.
 
What about the GT5 steering wheel which it has been rumoured will be brought out again with a GT5 game bundle. Plus if there is head tracking, i'm gonna need that camera as well. Might need to buy a car door as well so i can wind the window down when i get hot
 
On the news page, the 2009 GT award winner was said to be photographed for DLC. This is the one and only car to be confirmed for download, but it does prove that DLC will exist for GT5. Also, hadn't heard premium psn was scrapped, but it was said to include a dedicated server service. Beneficial for all online games as far as I'm aware
 
Might need to buy a car door as well so i can wind the window down when i get hot

HAHAH! Now thats priceless!👍
 
GT5 has already cost me more than just the Blu Ray!

Already spent…
Logitech DFGT - £50
Wheel Stand Pro - £89
Eyepet (for the camera) - £25
PS3 and plasma TV (but not just for GT5!) - £100 (estimated percentage for GT5)

To be spent…
GT5 Special Edition - £60 estimate
DLC – Hopefully included in the special edition but will be bought if not, price unknown
Flowers, chocolates, dinners out etc to appease my wife’s annoyance at the many hours I’ll be playing it - £LOTS! :)
 
just checked and here the 'pre-order' price is ca. 490DKK or 57£ or 90$; thus my estimate will be 50£

EDIT: due to our high VAT :(
 
So far I already went to GameStop and pay full 60 dollar price for pr order :D

If PD decides for Limited Edition copy, I will add additional 10 or 20 if it comes out. So I am set for GT5 already!
 
The lack of factual information in the OP is amazing.
 
GT5 has already cost me more than just the Blu Ray!

Already spent…
Logitech DFGT - £50
Wheel Stand Pro - £89
Eyepet (for the camera) - £25
PS3 and plasma TV (but not just for GT5!) - £100 (estimated percentage for GT5)

To be spent…
GT5 Special Edition - £60 estimate
DLC – Hopefully included in the special edition but will be bought if not, price unknown
Flowers, chocolates, dinners out etc to appease my wife’s annoyance at the many hours I’ll be playing it - £LOTS! :)

So GT5+wheel+LCD+DLC=no friend of your wallet.
 
I think you guys have it all wrong. I'm going to get my wife to buy it for me. Therefore it costs me nothing
 
So GT5+wheel+LCD+DLC=no friend of your wallet.

Indeed! My wallet is complaining but but I'm happy...or at least I will be soon...or soonish...or just at some point in the future :lol:

I think you guys have it all wrong. I'm going to get my wife to buy it for me. Therefore it costs me nothing

Only works if GT5 is released on my birthday :sly:
 
maybe so, but you have to put things in perspective for her. You provide a roof over her head, you provide money for food (which of course she will lovingly cook for you), you provide clothes - which is an extra luxury of course. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for equal rights and all, which is why i'm letting her provide me with the game. perspective.
 
maybe so, but you have to put things in perspective for her. You provide a roof over her head, you provide money for food (which of course she will lovingly cook for you), you provide clothes - which is an extra luxury of course. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for equal rights and all, which is why i'm letting her provide me with the game. perspective.

I like your thinking, sign me up for your newsletter :sly:
 
Ozybolairy @ With the money you give to her, right?

The way you say it, it sounds like your wife doesn't have a job, and money doesn't appear magically from nowhere. So...
 
so getting a special edition if there is one, one question thought, what would you want it to include?
 
I am her job. She gets tuppence on fridays and a damn good thrashing if she's ever out of line. Women know your limits.

so getting a special edition if there is one, one question thought, what would you want it to include?

I'm hoping for the longest 'making of' documentry there has ever been!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't really care less about extra cars - 1000(ish) is plenty for me. I'm much more interested in new tracks and I'll buy as many as they might decide to release. Especially any ones from past GT games that didn't make the final release, remodeled for GT5 - I'm guessing this will be less work for them than modeling new tracks from scratch so I'd look forward to every track that's ever been in a GT game for however much they decide I have to pay (within reason).
 
I feel your pain.

HDTV, PS3, GT5, Wheel (Hopefully G27 or Turbo S, most likely a DFGT in the end though). I would need a seat and a table, or just a homemade cockpit to put it in. Then i would need somewhere to put said cockpit, which will probably involve clearing out the garage. I don't have a car so i would need to ask a family member to hire a van to help me clear the stuff out.

But the garage is too cold, so some wall insulation and some heating etc. wouldn't go a miss.

Then i would need an ethernet cable to go to my garage for online racing, and a phone line (and a new phone) for good measure as i won't be in the house and won't be able to hear calls, and calls from mobiles are expensive. Or for best results, get a completely seperate connection to the house so other people don't steal my bandwidth while i'm in important races.

I would be spending so much time in the garage due to this, that i would need to move my bed down here, and an en-suite bathroom would need to be installed. This has advantages not-related to GT5, i.e. not having to share room with brother that makes it impossible for girlfriend to stay the night :sly:

I havn't priced it up yet, but this is going to burn a big whole in my already empty pocket.

Or i could just buy the game, play it on my brothers ps3 on an SDTV and use a Dualshock 3. Either way is good.
 
I feel your pain.

HDTV, PS3, GT5, Wheel (Hopefully G27 or Turbo S, most likely a DFGT in the end though). I would need a seat and a table, or just a homemade cockpit to put it in. Then i would need somewhere to put said cockpit, which will probably involve clearing out the garage. I don't have a car so i would need to ask a family member to hire a van to help me clear the stuff out.

But the garage is too cold, so some wall insulation and some heating etc. wouldn't go a miss.

Then i would need an ethernet cable to go to my garage for online racing, and a phone line (and a new phone) for good measure as i won't be in the house and won't be able to hear calls, and calls from mobiles are expensive. Or for best results, get a completely seperate connection to the house so other people don't steal my bandwidth while i'm in important races.

I would be spending so much time in the garage due to this, that i would need to move my bed down here, and an en-suite bathroom would need to be installed. This has advantages not-related to GT5, i.e. not having to share room with brother that makes it impossible for girlfriend to stay the night :sly:

I havn't priced it up yet, but this is going to burn a big whole in my already empty pocket.

Or i could just buy the game, play it on my brothers ps3 on an SDTV and use a Dualshock 3. Either way is good.

Haha :lol:

Go with option 1 ;)
 
On the news page, the 2009 GT award winner was said to be photographed for DLC. This is the one and only car to be confirmed for download, but it does prove that DLC will exist for GT5. Also, hadn't heard premium psn was scrapped, but it was said to include a dedicated server service. Beneficial for all online games as far as I'm aware

All I'm gonna ask is where? Where is it confirmed by anyone? I didn't see DLC mentioned anywhere.
 
All I'm gonna ask is where? Where is it confirmed by anyone? I didn't see DLC mentioned anywhere.

DLC is confirmed in the news post about the Mustang before and after
"Stang and Philip Koenen, the man who created it. The most interesting thing: he states the car will be “available for download”. Could we be looking at one of the first cars to be featured in a DLC pack…? "
 
Oh, I see. I looked through the 4 pages of the forum linked to in the news and didn't see it.
 
Flowers, chocolates, dinners out etc to appease my wife’s annoyance at the many hours I’ll be playing it - £LOTS! :)

This is most definitely the biggest bill...

C.
 
Flowers, chocolates, dinners out etc to appease my wife’s annoyance at the many hours I’ll be playing it - £LOTS! :)

Pffft you should splash out on your wife all the time regardless. I can discount that from mine, i already spend god knows how much on my girlfriend... :D
 
You guys in Europe and USA are lucky.

This is what I have to put up with in New Zealand. All prices below are in New Zealand Dollars.

Sony Bravia X-Series - $5000
Sony Home Theatre System - $500
Sony PS3 (launch model) - $1200
Gran Turismo 5 - $120
Playstation Eye - $60
PS3 Bluetooth Headset - $70
Logitech Racing Wheel & Pedals - $250

Total = $7200

What I really find annoying is that now the PS3 and Xbox 360 Elite retail at the same price in USA at $299. But in New Zealand the Xbox 360 Elite costs around $500 and the PS3 costs around $600. Thanks Sony :banghead:. Same with the PSP GO. $250 in America goes to $500 in New Zealand. What else is way overpriced in New Zealand. The other console that retails for $500, but without the fast processor, HD output, hardrive etc .......... yeah I'm looking at you Nintendo.
 
This is most definitely the biggest bill...

C.

Too right, F:censored:k knows what it'll take to stop her being arsed when I book a holiday for release day and want her to go out with the boy! :)

Pffft you should splash out on your wife all the time regardless. I can discount that from mine, i already spend god knows how much on my girlfriend... :D

GT5 time sweetener presents are on top of the normal base level spend required for an easy life :sly:
 
I'm sort of hoping that Sony releases a Special Edition of the game where all the DLC will be free. Charge like $200 for it and get a lifetime of GT5 updates, cars, tracks all that. It's also something I wish iRacing would do, but alas they think they have some uber premium 'product' gonig on :confused:

PS3: $500
42" LCD: $400, go Craigslist!
Playseat Evolution: $75, w00t Craigslist rocks!
G25: $175, you guessed it, Craigslist 👍
Bowling Shoes: $40
GT5: $60, $80, $200? Who knows :/
Total: $1,250~ish

Now take that $1250 and divide by the number of years I'll play it, we'll assume 5 years like GT4 and then divide that by 365 and you get a small daily cost of ownership at: $.69 cents per day.

Jerome
 
Last edited:
To the OP:

How old are you? 20 or so? By the time GT5 comes out you'll be retired and have plenty of time and money to spend on it. Heck there might not be wallets then.
 
Back