GT5 @ Eurogamer Expo Earls Court London 1st - 3rd October!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marky264
  • 85 comments
  • 15,021 views
Just MADRID track, not REAL Madrid, please :)
 
I saw a video that showed a lot of sparks when touching cars (another sign of the E3 build).

Since when have cars sparked when they rub past each other ?
Does this happen with carbon bodied cars in the game ?
 
No shifting animation?



you don't shift in an auto you also leave hands on the wheel when using flappy paddles
standard "old school" gear stick's are a thing of the past in race cars i'm afraid.
 
No shifting animation?

Just wishful thinking, I hoped this dopey paddle shifting style was miraculously disappeared...
From the Expo again:

 
you don't shift in an auto you also leave hands on the wheel when using flappy paddles
standard "old school" gear stick's are a thing of the past in race cars i'm afraid.

That's not what I mean, there are normally hand movements when using the flappy paddles. Pretty blatant ones. I didn't even know there were auto's in GT, but it was the same in prologue for the R8.
 
That's not what I mean, there are normally hand movements when using the flappy paddles. Pretty blatant ones. I didn't even know there were auto's in GT, but it was the same in prologue for the R8.

Bingo! I guess this is the same R8 V8 as seen in GT5P. I mean, same sounds, animations, no damage, etc. Hopefully, I believe we will see an updated version in GT5.
 
Last edited:
That's not what I mean, there are normally hand movements when using the flappy paddles. Pretty blatant ones. I didn't even know there were auto's in GT, but it was the same in prologue for the R8.

Oh o,k.
Maybe they decided to use the bit of graphics power elsewhere?
 
All Premium Models which suffered all types of Visual Damage, Damage was turned on on the Replays.

ok, than the question, if there is or isn´t damage in the replay is answered, thanks.

Hope to see some vids and pics soon from the event.
 
I went to visit the Eurogamer Expo at Earl's Court in London today in order to sample the GT5 demo physics for the first time since I ran the GT Academy TT last year. This would be the first time I sampled the newer physics.

I went after 3pm as tickets were sold out, and managed to get in for £5. I headed straight for zone C where the 4 Gran Turismo 5 pods were, sporting Logitech DFGT wheels. F1 2010 was right next to it using G27s, shame GT didn't have them.

Having watched some of the recent videos on the GTP front page I was worried how violently the cars like the Ferrari Enzo and 458 Italia were reacting under heavy braking. They seemed to shudder and lock up immediately. After watching a few people drive this demo build, and finally having a go myself I realised what the story was. They were all using standard physics.

As soon as I selected professional physics and turned the aids off, I was able to utilise smoother brakes more reminiscent of Prologue and the GT5 demo. I did 2 mins worth of driving at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in the Ferrari 458 (yellow, of course) using S3 tyres. I must say I was very impressed with the sound, especially in chase cam. I drive using bumper, but it still had a healthy roar and my goodness the 458 has some blistering power and 7 singing gears. It was an absolute pleasure to drive and wasn't terribly unlike the handling of a Ferrari F430 on S tyres in GT5: Prologue.

After that I had to wait about 20 odd minutes for a free pod and another try. I decided to try the Nissan MOTUL GTR Super GT race car on R3/R3 at Nordschleife also. I found the R3s immensely grippy, to the point where I was actually braking far too early and never utilising the runoffs or exit kerbing. I couldn't feel the limit very quickly on those tyres. The Motul GTR sounds magnificent even in bumper cam, and you can really feel the bumpy nature of the Nordschleife. I was very much driven to lift off over the jumps and drive well below 100%.

My last tries of the demo were with the Motul GTR on R2s and R1, and by far the most enjoyable experience was R1/R1. I did this three times and it was utterly amazing fun. Buckets of grip, a lovely amount of slip and liftoff oversteer with bagfuls of power. It really felt like a proper race car should, not hugely different from the tuned Fairlady Z of the GT5 Academy demo. It felt properly connected to the road in my opinion and a noticeable step up from Prologue physics.

A lot of people were trying the road-going supercars like the Enzo and the Gallardo on tracks like Madrid and Rome. I noticed that on this build, when in cockpit view the detail of the following cars in rear view mirrors was significantly more basic than if you actually looked back using rear-view.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience though, and if the Motul GTR and 458 on the Nurburgring are any indication of what's to come with GT5, the good times are most definitely just around the corner.

All the best
Maz
 
Weird Nordschleife glitch, should we feel worried?

At 1:40

 
Yes I did notice that a couple of times on another machine, hoping it's just a demo glitch. Noticed it only happened in a race, not the time trial that I was trying.

All the best
Maz
 
The Eurogamer demo is based on the E3 code which is the code that featured the texture streaming issue (the missing road). I haven't seen it in the newer builds (gamescom or TGS).
 
Excellent write up Maz 👍

It's very reasurring to read a positive impression from someone who knows their stuff.
 
Great write up Maz! Hope to be chasing your taillights in GT5.
 
Thanks Maz for the update, did you by any chance catch at time on the Eurogamer Competition they were holding as I previously mentioned? I'm eiger to know weither or not I was the Daily Winner yesterday!
 
Thanks Maz for the update, did you by any chance catch at time on the Eurogamer Competition they were holding as I previously mentioned? I'm eiger to know weither or not I was the Daily Winner yesterday!

Hi mate, to be perfectly honest when I read your report stating that the challenge was standard physics with all aids switched on, I decided not to spend time on it as I was there for such a short period of time.

I was really keen to test the demo on pro with my usual settings mainly to make as direct a comparison as possible with Prologue and the Academy TT.

All the best
Maz
 
I went yesterday too, and i only tried the SLS on the Nurburgring, no TC, no abs or anything, and in manual.

First thing i noticed was i couldn't hear the sound of the car, only the other AI cars, so i had to keep looking at the rev counter to know when to change gear. and then the track disappeared :D

so i restarted and i was straight away impressed by the physics. i love the way that you could hear when your front tyres start to skid across the road when you steer to much, you could find your limits quickly. ( i was on s3's btw. )

I was also impressed by the wheel as well, i found it personally better than the G27, other than the pedals....
only got three minutes on the game, but it has made me even more exited for it :D

One last thing, i got the fastest time of the day on F1 2010 haha :p
 
Someone should mention that the clutch pedal does the braking on f1. Everyone is flying off the road!
 
it didnt yesterday, it was the normal pedal lol
 
Mark, have you had any response from Eurogamer re. the mercedes day? Sundays times were some way off the 26s, so it looks like you might have a day out trying the elk test in the A class!
 
Back