GT5 Flaw List: What must be fixed for GT6. (Work In Progress)

• Thread starter Crispy9001
  • 22 comments
United States
Texas
ChrisWPoindexter
CW Poindexter
Gran Turismo 5 is, IMHO, a backside moment or downfall moment for the series, as good as it is flaws aside, where everything that I may think could go wrong transitioning from GT4/GTPSP to now has pretty much done so. For me, it has left a gaping hole in the gaming industry where we could have had a golden moment for the series and of its "sim-cade" or "semi-sim" kind like Gran Turismo 2, 3 or even 1!

All the things listed should, to me, have the opposite in GT6 (except for some that mention an idea for fixing a flaw in GT6.).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This list is constantly refined and added-on to as time passes and as I gather and recollect information on the subject.

Red = Flaws, which are meant to contain the opposite of in GT6.
Blue = Ideas, which shouldn't contain the opposite of in GT6 but should just in general be included into GT6.

Flaw (Or Idea) List:
-Overly complicated and pretentious menus and menu music, with too many features in unprepared places.
-Bad tuning setups. You only have three spaces for setups, and nothing more.
-Ridiculous, unrealistic tuning privileges, such as but not limited to permanent engine tuning on WRC and GT 300/500 cars, turbo kits on Le Mans Prototypes, etc.
-Oil changes and mileage break-in on cars that gives cars extra power makes stat-tracking and power restrictions for fair competition too complicated.
-No 100% accurate pre-defined tuning setup or readily avaliable in-game stats for the original untuned state of a car. (Which has and probably will continue to cost me hours, maybe even a day or so of my life compling them in the game alone since they aren't already.) :grumpy:
-B-Spec is not very dynamic or interesting at all: No qualifying which forces you to race your car overpowered, which destroys any AI's chance of being realistically or even enjoyably competitive, bad money and experience payout without a log-in bonus, with a boring set-up is made even more so with usually double the laps of the races in A-Spec when, logistically and realistically, it should be the other way around.
-WAY too much grinding required for experience-system progression in later levels even with the log-in bonus due to lack of events.
-Damage modeling and physics are generally always very inconsistent and unrealistic between all the useless endless cars. Mechanical damage doesn't let entire parts fall off, become wholly inoperable or in VERY EXTREME cases explode.
-Unrealistic car type privileges at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe: Le Mans Prototypes & F1 Cars? ON THE NORDSCHLEIFE?!?!?
-Championships sometimes give you prize cars that are extremely non-congruent with the level of machine skill required in some. (Caterham 7 from winning the Formula GT World Championship? WTF?)
-The difference between hard/medium/soft compound tires is very elementary in balancing out grip vs. durability between set-ups and so is the tire model physics-wise (elementary).
-Tuning options are not only less than previous GT's (no triple-plate clutch, no racing flywheel, limited amount of race mods when GT1/2 had nearly all cars with race mods, no super soft or super hard tires, etc.), but are also way too under-powered and not well-yielding. For example: a Honda Civic could compete against super cars with enough tuning and even race modifying. However, the max tuning level is much less than that, and when I do a Stage 3 Engine Tune for 30,000 credits, I only get a 10+ HP increase.
-For any Gran Turismo game in the past, present or future, having useless lower-end tuning options that in the long run you won't need at all. For example: why buy a sports or semi-racing exhaust when you aren't going to use it anyway and just use the best-power-yielding racing exhaust?
-Higher-league motor sports such as NASCAR and F1 have unrealistic pit stop times. NASCAR should be, say, 13-14 seconds and F1 should be about 3-4, etc.
-Tire wear and fuel consumption are also a bit unrealistically fast and are set-up like differences between tire compounds to be elementary and not realistic either.
-Also, its generally hard to read or understand the indicators of tire wear and fuel consumption. For example: every game before 5 had a simple but practical tire wear icon that showed blue as fresh, green as warm and slick, yellow and orange as losing grip, and red as almost no grip, while 5 has an awkward up and down meter for wear with an unusual blue-to-white-to-red coloring thing for how warm a tire is and/or how much grip is or isn't left, which is way too complicated. And, when fuel consumption was introduced in GT4, it was a simple up-down with little squares of liters left, where 5 is a strange, not-so-digital-or-exact more-analog bar with no real numbers displayed generally.
-An insane, irrational amount of hours of drive time will be logged with the way the rubbish, stupid experience system works, with a humongous difference between certain leveling-up periods, requiring needless grinding.
-Duplicates of cars in the car list. Quality over quantity, for God's sake! For example: don't have fifty Mazda Miatas or Nissan Skylines. Just give us certain specific generations of the car, with only one of each and that one being the best and/or most recent kind of that generation, like the new cars in GT1/2, the list in 3, or the premium lineup in 5.

-No more leveling system or B-Spec, just A-Spec as the main mode and just Licenses for ranking people into different offline/online races because they, the experience thing and B-Spec, don't work anyway and nobody gives a 🤬 about them. (Sorry for language.)
-License tests aren't the main vehicle for driver class or "level" to put you in beginner vs. professional races, and they aren't super effective about being professionally made and set-up to really actually be an effective educational tool for driver skill enhancement and have detailed tutorials on driving technique and methods.
-The failed attempt of a hardcore simulation driving style in the game with very obscure, unorganized driver's aids makes the game worthless for absolute realism with DualShock 3 users (like me) whom are unable to buy a full-on steering wheel or set-up and is totally hypocritical of what the game was highly successfully and maybe unintentionally made-to-be back in 1997-2001; a semi-simulation, not a full-on hardcore PC simulator, which it (GT5) still fails to do (hardcore sim style) anyway.
-The Online racing setup is extremely rudimentary and complicated; you can't automatically or at least easily narrow down the kind of race you want to be in, along with another primitive "lobby" system for game setup and matchmaking, which I think could still exist, as this isn't NFS: Most Wanted 2012 or Burnout Paradise, but in a much more simplified, refined and modern form.
-In general, the game structure, experience and money/economy system is very linear, lacking quantity AND quality, unbalanced and more of a chore than it should be that leaves players with not much to actually do after a point late in game completion.
-Arcade Mode is one-dimensional; the grid solely relies on what car you bring to the party, and is lazily preset according to what the car is.
-Another huge problem that has half or a little more of the time been present in pretty much all the Gran Turismo games; the drivers, # of laps, time/weather change, or presence of tire wear and fuel consumption don't dynamically adjust to the tuning extent of your car and/or your own license skill level via difficulty setting, NOT adjusting to the existing license and power requirements of a race but to your own car's tuning extent and your own license level, no matter what level of racing it is, from the Beginner's no-license Sunday Cup to the Professional's S License Formula GT World Championship.

- As I just said above, have this "Dynamic Competition Setting" to allow for the player's car's extent of tuning and skill or "License" level to be adjusted to by the AI for tight and solid competition and, just with skill/License level and/or player difficulty level option, increase the number of laps and the presence of tire/fuel wear, time/weather change and damage in races. However, even with this, these factors, even at the easiest difficulty level, should increase anyway to some extent when you reach a certain higher-level License race later and later into the game. Also, by increasing this difficulty setting, increase the credit rewards with it, to make it more rewarding than ever.
-For any race or championship in the game, unlike GT1 or even GT3, there are NO practice or qualifying sessions, optional or non-optional, which is logistically basic and downright stupid.
-As time and technology aren't necessarily a problem anymore (for the time being), have nearly every single car and track from all past Gran Turismo games, even including slightly different versions of ones (GT1/2 Test Course vs. GT3/4/PSP Test Course), and only have duplicates of Japanese cars be removed from older games. Also, as insane and as time/labor-inducing as this sounds, let every track have time/weather change. When it comes to graphics, have every car and track have the graphical detailing of somewhere between GT4 and GT5, without being extremely and overly well-detailed and having NOT the GRAPHICAL DETAIL OF but the GRAPHICAL STYLE OF Gran Turismo 3. (For example, no heavy emphasis on shadows or really boring late-afternoon skylines of daytime tracks.)
-Have, like Gran Turismo 2, the Used Car Dealers mixed in with the New & Special Dealers of one particular manufacturer's "lot" or set-up. Also have Used Car Lots in non-Japanese make dealers, but basically don't have duplicates with Japanese cars, and have a "Classics" section like GT4 of newly-made cars discontinued at the time of GT6's latest update so those of us with big money to spend don't have to buy classics used.
-After reaching a certain high point in completing the game (for example, Formula GT World Championship won, a League won, 100% completion, etc.), unlock Odometer Reset function to reset a previous owner's mileage on a used car.
-As a game like Gran Turismo was specifically made by its creator not only to be a way to drive, tune and race real world road and race cars that you couldn't possibly own in real life, but as considered by some players and maybe even by the developers to be a way to drive these cars WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT THE CAR BECOMING DIRTY, WORN DOWN OR DAMAGED. Therefore, any damage or dirt that plagues a car during a race must be automatically fixed, repaired and cleaned, unless requested by the player to be the opposite, because, lets face it, almost no other semi-simulation or simulation racing game in the world forces you to pay money for a car getting dirty, suffering inevitable wear-and-tear or becoming damaged. So, unless you want absolute simulation realism and to suffer the consequences of reality, you'll no longer need to worry about washing a car, its oil, or refining the engine or chassis.
-To cover a LOT of bases and appeal to a broader audience of Gran Turismo and racing fans and all kinds of controllers, in the game settings or race settings or something, have settings for driving styles a Semi-Simulation driving style akin to Gran Turismo 1, 2 and 3 and those who still love playing it, with only a few driving aids avaliable and an entirely optional no-ABS option, and this setting is accustomed to or more friendly for normal joysticks and gamepads, along with being good for beginners as well as old GT fans. Then, have a Simulation driving style that uses GT PSP/5 as a base model but will be evolved to a Hardcore PC Sim level with all kinds of driving assists, meant and recommended for steering wheels and realistic racing seating set-ups and people who want to drive with absolute realism, along with the driving assists there for beginners with steering wheels/racing set-ups who want to drive realistically. I don't think we should use GT4's physics, because its not only un-realistic but also unrealistically difficult, and its never really been reused or needed to be much at all since GT5 Prologue. Also, as you decrease driving aids in either setting, increase credits rewards, but don't increase it for disabling ABS in Semi-Sim or for switching between the two main driving styles.
-For all the existing rally stages and new ones, make point-to-point versions of existing, older ones,along with the closed circuit versions of them as merely for two-driver races and the point-to-point set up for time trial rallies like in real life. Then, for brand new rally stages, not only the point-to-point actual version but also a closed circuit one as well like the old stages.
-Have realistic AI that doesn't just follow the racing line robot-like and actually reacts to your presence by blocking, driving differently, taking different lines, trying to overtake, be aggressive, free thinking, responsive, opprtunistic, intelligent, and just actually realistic and enjoyable for once!
-Have realistic sound that uses different technology, recording processes and conversions to allow for sounds that actually sound realistic, and match up with and react to different actions of driving the car such as gear changes and clutch, suspension, braking, tires, throttle modulation, etc.
-With Semi-Sim and Sim, by difficulty setting, allow for damage modeling and physics that are the dynamic and realistic real-time kind and be akin to hardcore PC sims such as NR2003, Rigs Of Rods, or even Crysis 3!
-The "Paint Chip" mechanism needs to die and just have factory colors avaliable for purchase per car and not as chips to paint cars.
-The Indianapolis 500 shouldn't exist in-game if it doesn't have actual IndyCar race cars.
-Car graphics shouldn't be seperated into Premium/Standard. Enough of that.
-Way too restrictive. The opponents cars should be tuned as well to the human driver's car's tuning extensitivity by difficulty level so we don't have to down-tune our cars.
-Not very accurate horsepower ratings on cars like Le Mans Prototypes due to general literal inaccuracy, and useless, highly bothersome oil changes, mileage break-in and needless tuning prvilieges that affect the original setting.
-Road car races have too many cars (up to 16), which offline races don't even use, when more higher-league race car races should be the ones having that many.
-Some basic fundamentals of suspension tuning like tire pressure are missing.
-Used car lists aren't very dynamic, they're just preset.
-F1 car physics aren't realistic at all. Extremely arcade, only for their particular kind.
-Overly priced cars that take way too long to buy in the game grinding money and should be much less than that for the sake of convenience within playing the game.

This list is constantly refined and added-on to as time passes and as I gather and recollect information on the subject.

This shows just how much I and others believe IOHO (In Our Honest Opinions) GT5 is God-awfully flawed and how much should be fixed.
Plus, what's also amazing is how much I've already written and complied! Good grief!!!!!

Last edited:
Umm, how do you expect this to work? People have different opinions, a flaw for one person is not a flaw for the other. It's impossible to make a "subjective" list that everyone will agree with. For example, while I agree with some things on your list, you say the menu music is a flaw of this game while I strongly disagree. So I don't know how do you expect to make a list like that.

Umm, how do you expect this to work? People have different opinions, a flaw for one person is not a flaw for the other. It's impossible to make a "subjective" list that everyone will agree with. For example, while I agree with some things on your list, you say the menu music is a flaw of this game while I strongly disagree. So I don't know how do you expect to make a list like that.
Sorry, I was a little pushy and rude and blind about fact vs. opinion. Thanks for reminding me. :guilty: :banghead:

Last edited:
It may seem that Im nit picking, but the problem is all these things add up and become very irritating.

Heres some to choose from if you wish

Visible Damage cannot be fixed in the pits

Way too much grinding mostly caused by a lack of events

B-Spec woefully incomplete and unfinished, it doesnt matter if a driver has no stamina or mental or whatever. Lack of qualifying almost always forces you to run the B-Spec races with an over powered car to make up all the positions in time.

Varying levels of visible damage detail for each car. The amount and speed of impacts needed to show this damage also varies between cars.

Inconsistent and generally awful crash physics

Level system that progresses poorly, why does it take more time to go from level 35-36 then it does from level 1-35?

Puny B-Spec credit payout

Le Mans prototypes at the Nurburgring 24 hours race

Some championships have absurd prize cars, I believe you win the Caterham for finishing 1st in the Formula GT championship.

Softer tire compounds are always superior to harder compounds

NASCAR pitstops are too slow (real life 13-14 seconds in the game they're around 20 seconds)

Fuel consumption and tire wear are generally too high

150-200 hours of gameplay needed to unlock the Le Mans 24 hours, 250-300 hours of gameplay needed to unlock the Nurburgring 24 Hours. Why?

350-400 hours needed to platinum. And 80% of that is grinding.

Earth
Softer tire compounds are always superior to harder compounds

Like in real life.

The only way a harder tire would be superior is in longevity. It won't post a faster time under any circumstances until after a softer tire has been worn down.

As far as things that must be fixed, the only things that are that pressing that would drive me off purchasing the next one if they weren't corrected is the duplicates in the car list, the linear game structure and progression system, the incredibly poorly balanced game economy and the total lack of things to actually do after a certain point in the game.

All of those things are the most fundamental problems with the way the game is designed, and none of them are things PD has shown any interest in fixing in GT5. I mean, yeah, the menus are awful, but except for GT3 they've always been awful, and the problem with GT5 is just how frequently you have to access them and how long they take to navigate rather than how poorly they are laid out (which is at least more straightforward than the GT4 system). Yeah, the customization is crap, but that's not a game breaker by itself; and at least PD have shown a lot of interest in fixing it next time.

Modification pricing and what you get out of the modifications. 30,000 CR on a Stage 3 engine tune just to get less then 10 HP in increase on some cars is ridiculous. The potential of many cars has always been limited in the GT franchise compared to what you could achieve in real-life, a EK Civic with every upgrade purchased can't keep up with super cars and makes just slightly over 400 HP, when in real life and in games like Forza keeping up with Lambos and high HPs would be achievable with that car.

Something that I would like removed is the % increase in credits and experience earned.

There are lots of people that are complaining about the amount of grinding that you need to do in Gran Turismo 5, just to reach the top level, but this isn't a problem to me. If anything, I think you level up far too fast. I think back to Gran Turismo 2 and remember how many times you would need to replay races just to earn a few more credits and then eventually you would have enough to buy a faster car which would allow you to compete in a new event.

This process happens way too quickly in GT5, you can go through the first 25 levels in a measly few hours, which defeats the whole purpose of a racing career. Don't even get me started on how much credits you earn either for some of the smaller events. This is what I think needs addressed, for the next GT.

Leveling System - Needs to be either balanced, focused or removed altogether. I'm really not a fan of it. You can all say it prevents people from getting fast cars early on, but anyone who buys a Collectors Edition or Pre-orders will get a few fast cars starting off anyways, why not let those who didn't also have a chance?

License System - Needs to either be the main method of progressing the game if the Leveling system is dropped, OR become an educational tool to enhance drivers skills by offering detailed tutorials on driving techniques and methods. As of right now, though, it's kinda useless and really only exists to give you free cars and irritate the crap out of inexperienced DS3 users. Give it replay-ability.

B-Spec - It can be sooo much better. But it needs to cut the ties with A-Spec. Offer different events (even fewer events?) so you're not sitting and watching someone else do the same race you just did but for a longer period of time. Fast forward should be considered... but if you made the experience more engaging, people wouldn't need it, now would they? All I do with my B-Spec drivers is share them online to participate in remote races, or put them in super powerful cars so they can win me other cars.

Online - Needs more features like Shuffle Racing. I know Matchmaking is hopefully going to be back on the table, but there lacks serious structure in the online racing as of right now.

Arcade - Some have talked about the race generating events, I don't know what the real answer is, but Arcade needs to either step up or get lost, because I've maybe used it 9-10 times in the two years I've owned the game. It needs something that Online and A-Spec do not offer.

Arcade - Some have talked about the race generating events, I don't know what the real answer is, but Arcade needs to either step up or get lost, because I've maybe used it 9-10 times in the two years I've owned the game. It needs something that Online and A-Spec do not offer.

The only times I've used Arcade is to use the tracks I have generated, and to try out the circuits with changing weather/time that are not at all utilised on GT Mode. A big flaw is that the grids depend solely on the car and aren't randomly generated - that is, starting a race with the same car will result in the exact same AI opponents with the same starting position. The PP system can result in very one dimensional grids. For instance, starting a race with a Minolta Toyota will result in the entire grid consisting of Escudos and Toyota 7s.

Like in real life.

The only way a harder tire would be superior is in longevity. It won't post a faster time under any circumstances until after a softer tire has been worn down.

Yes, longevity is what I meant.

Seasonal Online Events - They were in GT5 Prologue, but not in GT5.

Lack of qualifying and practice sessions. Why PD thinks these are not needed in a game that calls itself a simulator is absolutely beyond me. How they've treated 24 hour endurance events like pickup races for the last two titles just makes me shake my head.

Endurance Races unlocked at the end of the game. I know this has generally been the way GT has done things, but it needs to stop. Why not unlock them gradually as a player progresses through the game? In GT5 you get to the point where the only thing to do next was grind a 3-5 hour endurance race to unlock the next one. That should never happen.

B-Spec. My idea is to make it optional again, like GT4. However, unlike GT4, you should only be able to use B-Spec on an event AFTER you get gold on that particular event using A-Spec. Credit payout for B-Spec should be reduced in comparison to A-Spec, but not as much as GT5.

Generally poor championships for racecars. In real life the average championship is 15-20 two hour races. In GT5 the average championship (deep in the game) is five 10-15 minute races. I believe a middle ground is 6-8 races about an hour each in length. Make it worth it with a heavy credit payout and quality prize car. Right now GT5 gives you, at best, a teaser of all these different disciplines of racing. It can be so much more, but for some reason chooses to take a very casual approach, which of course contradicts other design decisions. ?

B-Spec. My idea is to make it optional again, like GT4. However, unlike GT4, you should only be able to use B-Spec on an event AFTER you get gold on that particular event using A-Spec. Credit payout for B-Spec should be reduced in comparison to A-Spec, but not as much as GT5.

Not that I'm complaining but that would make B-Spec totally pointless. If you had to finish the A-Spec race first, who would bother doing the B-Spec one afterwards, for an even smaller pay out? I certainly wouldn't, unless it was a necessity to complete the game. In my opinion, B-Spec should be left out entirely, to make it a pure, driving, experience.

Generally poor championships for racecars. In real life the average championship is 15-20 two hour races. In GT5 the average championship (deep in the game) is five 10-15 minute races. I believe a middle ground is 6-8 races about an hour each in length. Make it worth it with a heavy credit payout and quality prize car. Right now GT5 gives you, at best, a teaser of all these different disciplines of racing. It can be so much more, but for some reason chooses to take a very casual approach, which of course contradicts other design decisions. ?

Totally agree. Once you reach the extereme events, you'd atleast expect a long haul of racing ahead of you, but you don't get anything near it. I remember when I reached events such as the Super GT, Nascar and the Dream Car Championship, I laughed in displease at how little there was to do. Instead we only have a few 10 lap races, then you move onto the Endurance section. I'm pretty sure the Formula GT event in Gran Turismo 4 had up to 15 races, but in GT5, we only had a 6 race series. Why?

Everybody, I first want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING ME & REMINDING ME OF ALL THESE IDEAS! 👍 :bowdown: We're now coming together well on the subject the majority of us have VERY similar opinions on, and I'm glad we can continue to narrow down what we can tell Polyphony Digital to PLEASE deal with in GT6 to make it the ultimate and best ever. :cheers:

Last edited:
It may seem that Im nit picking, but the problem is all these things add up and become very irritating.

No, you're absolutely NOT nitpicking.

Polyphony Digital and Kazunori Yamauchi are just bloody idiots now.

And thanks a bunch for all those flaws you mentioned. Very helpful. :)

Last edited:
My only wishes for GT6 is that they finish the game and add more things to do in A-spec because it was really short in GT5 and I didn't like that. I'd also like a more realistic tyre model, as any higher grip compounds that you put onto your car just acts as a grip multiplier. This can be seen in karts where if you spin out, the kart comes to a halt quite quickly, instead of gliding for a couple of seconds like a real kart would.

Gt's audience is huge and it needs to cater for a wide variety of players/racers. It's not going to please everyone all of the time. However, from my particular perspective, as someone who has grown up with the franchise and still has all versions of the game (including the gt2 scratch and sniff disk!!) all I want gt6 to be is what the franchise has always billed itself as being; namely 'the real driving simulator'.

The actual experience of racing is now dry, repetitive, predictable and frankly a little but boring. The odd seasonal can get interesting, but generally it's just the usual gt train of cars, chasing a rabbit, making no mistakes and seemingly not racing at all. It's very formulaic and not at all seat of your pants stuff. This is racing. Every race should be seat of your pants stuff!! :)

The main improvements for gt6, for me at least, need to all be based around the experience of racing. Arcade and b-spec are never used. Not overly bothered about them. Menu systems, again, not important to me. Levelling up and experience points, whatever. Duplicate cars, so what. So long as you have a well stocked garage.

When I get on track, I want to race and I want to feel like I am there. Gt6 graphics will no doubt help on that front, but the cars need to feel alive. The sounds need to be real. The ai need to have personality, aggression, intelligence. The cars need to visually look like they are on the edge, jiggling around as they take the bumps of the circuit. They need to come back at you after you've made the pass. They need to make mistakes they need to break down. Over rev? blow the engine. Run over some debris? Get a flat. Crash, you see crap flying everywhere. Other games do this stuff to varying degrees, some well, some not so well. The point is, it's possible.

It's all about the realism and the immersion for me. So credits, levelling up, duplicate cars, menu systems, arcade and b-spec options, are all secondary. Gt6 needs to come alive on the track.

My top 10 for gt6, in no particular order:

1) overhaul of AI making it more aggressive, responsive, free thinking, strategic, opportunistic and' erm' intelligent!
2) increased consequence of actions (engine / tyre damage etc)
3) support for more sophisticated tactile feedback (suspension, gear change, pedal feedback etc think of a multi buttkickers type set up with simvibe)
4) stronger ffb on t500rs
5) qualifying and grid starts
6) remove screen tearing and terrible shadows etc.
7) improved visuals / physics on cars you're racing against on track (see them moving around, on the edge of grip)
8) vastly improve the audio; engine, in car, gear changes, exhaust burbeling and popping, crashes etc.
9) oh, damage!! I don't pretend to understand the technical challenges in doing this well, but I want to see accidents happening up ahead. I want to see debris on the road. I want to see bits hanging off the cars involved. I want them to come flying off down the straight!! The odd blown engine and a bit of fire would be quite cool too!! It happens on the real circuit so lets see it in the game.
10) a proper localised LAN mode. Old school I know, but I would use it

And one for good luck

11) the complete back catalogue of gt tracks! Plus all the new ones they are busy laser scanning of course. Nice.

I'm done.

Now to run a few laps on iracing!....;)

Gt's audience is huge and it needs to cater for a wide variety of players/racers. It's not going to please everyone all of the time. However, from my particular perspective, as someone who has grown up with the franchise and still has all versions of the game (including the gt2 scratch and sniff disk!!) all I want gt6 to be is what the franchise has always billed itself as being; namely 'the real driving simulator'.

The actual experience of racing is now dry, repetitive, predictable and frankly a little but boring. The odd seasonal can get interesting, but generally it's just the usual gt train of cars, chasing a rabbit, making no mistakes and seemingly not racing at all. It's very formulaic and not at all seat of your pants stuff. This is racing. Every race should be seat of your pants stuff!! :)

The main improvements for gt6, for me at least, need to all be based around the experience of racing. Arcade and b-spec are never used. Not overly bothered about them. Menu systems, again, not important to me. Levelling up and experience points, whatever. Duplicate cars, so what. So long as you have a well stocked garage.

When I get on track, I want to race and I want to feel like I am there. Gt6 graphics will no doubt help on that front, but the cars need to feel alive. The sounds need to be real. The ai need to have personality, aggression, intelligence. The cars need to visually look like they are on the edge, jiggling around as they take the bumps of the circuit. They need to come back at you after you've made the pass. They need to make mistakes they need to break down. Over rev? blow the engine. Run over some debris? Get a flat. Crash, you see crap flying everywhere. Other games do this stuff to varying degrees, some well, some not so well. The point is, it's possible.

It's all about the realism and the immersion for me. So credits, levelling up, duplicate cars, menu systems, arcade and b-spec options, are all secondary. Gt6 needs to come alive on the track.

My top 10 for gt6, in no particular order:

1) overhaul of AI making it more aggressive, responsive, free thinking, strategic, opportunistic and' erm' intelligent!
2) increased consequence of actions (engine / tyre damage etc)
3) support for more sophisticated tactile feedback (suspension, gear change, pedal feedback etc think of a multi buttkickers type set up with simvibe)
4) stronger ffb on t500rs
5) qualifying and grid starts
6) remove screen tearing and terrible shadows etc.
7) improved visuals / physics on cars you're racing against on track (see them moving around, on the edge of grip)
8) vastly improve the audio; engine, in car, gear changes, exhaust burbeling and popping, crashes etc.
9) oh, damage!! I don't pretend to understand the technical challenges in doing this well, but I want to see accidents happening up ahead. I want to see debris on the road. I want to see bits hanging off the cars involved. I want them to come flying off down the straight!! The odd blown engine and a bit of fire would be quite cool too!! It happens on the real circuit so lets see it in the game.
10) a proper localised LAN mode. Old school I know, but I would use it

And one for good luck

11) the complete back catalogue of gt tracks! Plus all the new ones they are busy laser scanning of course. Nice.

I'm done.

Now to run a few laps on iracing!....;)
Nice, I'll bring that up, and you do make good points besides realism in physics about being realistic to feel alive with HUMAN-LIKE AI and exciting car movements and damage.

Last edited:
I don't actually have iracing. I'm just eluding to the fact that the things that I perhaps want are more appropriate in a title such as iracing rather than a console. But hey, we're talking about GT6 here. This is a title that should astound. Whether or not it is a ps3 or ps4 title.

I don't actually have iracing. I'm just eluding to the fact that the things that I perhaps want are more appropriate in a title such as iracing rather than a console. But hey, we're talking about GT6 here. This is a title that should astound. Whether or not it is a ps3 or ps4 title.

I absolutely agree and can relate, kind of. I'm not a huge realism junkie, but it, the driving style, can still be there alongside that "Semi-Sim" driving option I mentioned, and I'm not really huge YET on a realistic driving style simply because I always do it stupidly with a normal controller and have never played any one game like that besides GT5 that way with a steering wheel or head-mounted display or anything to help complete the realism, but some things can be good if they're realistic regardless of driving style, like sound, AI, tire model, general physics, laser-scanning on cars and tracks, damage and graphics that don't make me yawn (late afternoon skylines in every daytime track, shadow emphasis, etc., all GT5 issues and maybe even GT4 and PSP). And BTW I didn't mean to appeal to EVERYBODY, but just that different fans of different eras of Gran Turismo would be appealed to.

Last edited:
Paint chips must die. Why limit the colors we can paint our cars, and even worse, why limit the amount of times we can paint a car a certain color? I like the idea of allowing us to collect paint chips to add to our collection of colors to use in a paint shop. Permanently of course.

The whole standard/premium car thing needs to go. Premium cars only, please.

Random used car lots. How much time and effort did they put into this? 5, 10 minutes? Why does the same used car always come with the same amount of miles? Is somebody cloning these cars somewhere? Why are 75% of the cars in the game hidden in a random used car lot?

Sportscars at the Indianapolis 500. How humiliating PD. You just spit in the face of over 100 years of excellence and tradition at the Brickyard.

Still no adjustments for basic fundamentals like tire pressure or caster. 4 point tuning? Forget about it.

16 car races online but 99% of offline races are only 12 cars.

Some endurance races have multiple classes of cars but do not award class wins. So whats the point? There is no point.

The majority of Le Mans cars once again are overpowered. They are given 150-200 HP more then real life. (seen here) Seriously PD, where you half asleep when making this game? Or did you just not care because you knew it would sell 10M anyway because of the graphics? And its not just one or two things. It goes on and on and on.

No Bspec drivers to help you with the long endurance races. This was in GT4, but not in GT5. Why? They want us to run (2) 24 hour races on our own? Yet they cant bother to make championships with races longer then 10-15 minutes?

20 million credit limit. And 20 million credit cars...

Speeding into the pits at 200 mph only to get magically stopped

The steering lock in the Formula 1 cars is way off. With a wheel you have to cross your arms to get the maximum performance out of the car on almost every turn, when in reality F1 drivers almost never turn the wheel more then 90 degrees one way or the other except for super tight turns like the monaco hairpin. The F1 cars in general are too grippy, and require you to run comfort tires to make them handle somewhere in the realm of reality and not in a Speed Racer fantasy world.

Speeding into the pits at 200 mph only to get magically stopped
This is actually the fault of the user. You're not supposed to be going nearly as fast going into the pits and if the game senses that you're going too fast to meet the pit speed limit before you cross the pit entry line, then it will reset you.
The steering lock in the Formula 1 cars is way off. With a wheel you have to cross your arms to get the maximum performance out of the car on almost every turn, when in reality F1 drivers almost never turn the wheel more then 90 degrees one way or the other except for super tight turns like the monaco hairpin. The F1 cars in general are too grippy, and require you to run comfort tires to make them handle somewhere in the realm of reality and not in a Speed Racer fantasy world.
I actually agree with this, and the low speed physics also suck; locking up under braking doesn't feel realistic at all.

Yeah, there is a long way to go before I will stop calling GT a racing game and start calling it a driving simulator. It is loads better than much of the competition, though. I do like Forza's layout, but their physics is even less realistic than GT. And there are a lot of fatal flaws in GT that will prevent me from ever getting an expensive steering wheel to play it. Just gonna stick with the PS3 controller until things shape up.

Back