GT5 Olympics (Interest Check)

  • Thread starter Thread starter gogatrs
  • 47 comments
  • 2,558 views

What events would you like to see in the GT5 Olympics?

  • Karting

    Votes: 13 50.0%
  • WRC

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Formula 1

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • NASCAR

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Super GT

    Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Low Powered Road Cars

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • LMP Cars

    Votes: 10 38.5%
  • GT Cars

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Super/Sports Cars

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Other (Please Specify in the Thread)

    Votes: 2 7.7%

  • Total voters
    26
Messages
7,424
United States
I Hate Stalkers
Messages
gogatrs
What would you guys think about doing a type of olympics to decide which nation has the best GT5 drivers?
The best part about this is that we can involve EVERYBODY tuners, racers, people to pimp out the car, etc. etc.

We could have two or three drivers per country to involve some team racing.

This is a very broad idea, we could do a series of races, a single race, or a tournament involving eliminations.

We could do 1 make races, open races with restrictions, or we could say you have to run cars from your country.

Or we could do a variety of everything.
What do you guys think of this?
 
Suggestions?
 
That's a really really good idea! But the turn out won't be as great if you limit how many people can join. I just think you should have the top 12 or so people who are willing to be in it, go at it. And the idea of having a professional team would be cool, having the racer, and then mechanics to setup the car for them, the whole idea's awesome. I can see you guys covering all types of racing, Street cars, rally cars, race cars, F1, even X2010 if you wanted. Then the end result of finding the ultimate team who does well in all areas. It's been an idea I've thought about a couple times, and you should try your best to make it happen. You can get a big turn out if all goes well.
 
We could do the following events, work up the professional racing ladder...
Karts
Low HP car race
Low powered race car
Sports/Super Cars
GT Cars
Touring Cars
LMP Cars
Formula 1
 
That's kind of the idea behind the league I'm starting up. It's called the World Tour Series because I want to explore all the different classes of racing and tracks. We drive 2 cars/2 races per week for the season, to start it is low-hp race cars and GT300 race cars. The second season we'll switch to different classes, like regular low-hp cars and DTM cars, every season will be different cars. I even hope to do things like rally/time-trials and NASCAR. It's proving to be quite fun so far!

Although I don't have any plans for car-soccer.................yet! lol

Info in my sig
 
Last edited:
I'll be interested in this (providing the times ect are do-able for me 👍)
 
The times might be an issue if we have alot of countries represented.
We probably won't set a date and time, but rather just try to pick a date every week.

It would probably have to be on weekends.
 
Yeah thats true, weekends should be ok, but atm I do play football (soccer) however the season is ending soon so i'll prob be free
 
OK, I updated with a poll.
Looks like there's some adequate interest in this.
I'll start an official thread in a little bit.

I think that well allow all aids except skid recovery because that is only to the drivers disadvantage as it slows them down, but keeps them on the track and therefore not taking other people out.
Any ideas for a points system?

Any other special rules?
 
I think that the races should be like the Tour de France in a way, as in your score being calculated by time. If someone takes more than two minutes after the race to finish, you put 2 minutes as their score. Then, we could see the driver's overall skill in all classes of racing.

Just to be different from the normal points system.
 
yoman297
I think that the races should be like the Tour de France in a way, as in your score being calculated by time. If someone takes more than two minutes after the race to finish, you put 2 minutes as their score. Then, we could see the driver's overall skill in all classes of racing.

Just to be different from the normal points system.

That is actually a really good idea!
I've never thought of doing it that way, we could do that if everyone else is up for that.
We could add the total race times of each driver from each nation too.
But that would be an issue for the countries that are not fully represented.
So now that I think of it, that might not work.

Maybe for the individual championship, but not the team which is what this is really all about.
 
You can vote more than once in the poll.
 
OK, if I can get a couple more people interested in this, then I'll start a new official tread.
 
One more person?
 
I'd be up for all of them apart from NASCAR and GT Cars. Again, depends on start time though, in GMT.
 
OK, that's one more person lol. :)
Now we need a system to set up teams.
Is it possible to do private chat while in PSN?
That we team members could discuss strategy during the race and we could even have team strategists.

Well just do all the events that have received votes.

Now we need to figure out a sign up system.
We need to limit the number of people allowed in the race room per country.
I think it should be four max and there is no minimum.
Should it be first come, first serve, or should we have each country figure out a try out system?

I think that team points will be awarded based on the position of the top finisher from each country.
This way, smaller nations can still have a fair chance and larger teams would still be favored as they have more people going for a win.
Does anyone know of a good IRL points system that we could use?

I would allow all aids except for skid recovery because that would help DS3 users, some people use them, others don't.
It is only to the drivers disadvantage if they use them since it slows them down.

Obviously boost will be off. Damage will be on HIGH.
Penalties will be off so that way there are no ghosts.
If someone is reported to be cutting corners or excessively ramming, the situation will be thoroughly assessed and punishments will be enforced as necessary.

Race laps will differ, but no race will be less than half an hour. The longest we will go is maybe a finale that will last 1.5-2 hours.

Anything else that needs to be worked out?
 
Id be up for if the times are right for me im GMT
 
gogatrs
OK, that's one more person lol. :)
Now we need a system to set up teams.
Is it possible to do private chat while in PSN?
That we team members could discuss strategy during the race and we could even have team strategists.

Well just do all the events that have received votes.

Now we need to figure out a sign up system.
We need to limit the number of people allowed in the race room per country.
I think it should be four max and there is no minimum.
Should it be first come, first serve, or should we have each country figure out a try out system?

I think that team points will be awarded based on the position of the top finisher from each country.
This way, smaller nations can still have a fair chance and larger teams would still be favored as they have more people going for a win.
Does anyone know of a good IRL points system that we could use?

I would allow all aids except for skid recovery because that would help DS3 users, some people use them, others don't.
It is only to the drivers disadvantage if they use them since it slows them down.

Obviously boost will be off. Damage will be on HIGH.
Penalties will be off so that way there are no ghosts.
If someone is reported to be cutting corners or excessively ramming, the situation will be thoroughly assessed and punishments will be enforced as necessary.

Race laps will differ, but no race will be less than half an hour. The longest we will go is maybe a finale that will last 1.5-2 hours.

Anything else that needs to be worked out?

Can I get some comments on this?
 
Car Soccer. :D
 
Stormtrooper217
Car Soccer. :D

And then we can jump Mini Coopers, and do the biathlon, and ice hockey!
 
OK, that's one more person lol. :)
Now we need a system to set up teams.
Is it possible to do private chat while in PSN?
That we team members could discuss strategy during the race and we could even have team strategists.

Well just do all the events that have received votes.

Now we need to figure out a sign up system.
We need to limit the number of people allowed in the race room per country.
I think it should be four max and there is no minimum.
Should it be first come, first serve, or should we have each country figure out a try out system?

I think that team points will be awarded based on the position of the top finisher from each country.
This way, smaller nations can still have a fair chance and larger teams would still be favored as they have more people going for a win.
Does anyone know of a good IRL points system that we could use?

I would allow all aids except for skid recovery because that would help DS3 users, some people use them, others don't.
It is only to the drivers disadvantage if they use them since it slows them down.

Obviously boost will be off. Damage will be on HIGH.
Penalties will be off so that way there are no ghosts.
If someone is reported to be cutting corners or excessively ramming, the situation will be thoroughly assessed and punishments will be enforced as necessary.

Race laps will differ, but no race will be less than half an hour. The longest we will go is maybe a finale that will last 1.5-2 hours.

Anything else that needs to be worked out?

OK, as someone has voted for NASCAR we WILL be doing it. Not that I like this, but I said if someone votes for it we will do it.
I still need the above questions answered.
 
I suggest that we do an event a number of times depending on the votes for it.

And a couple more wacky ideas:

FIAT 500 Sprint! A bunch of stock 500's at Indy for a lap!
Samba Bus Jump! Veyrons jumping over Samba Buses at Cape Ring!
 
Last edited:
I was actually planning on doing a Fiat 500 race.
I don't think the Samba bus jump would work though.
I think that well do the race distance based on the number of votes.
Multiple races for those events would be a bit much.
 
How about having a best jump competition using a custom jump course :D
 
OK guys, I'm working on the write up for the official thread now.
Any last minute suggestions?
It's a relatively large post so it may take a while.
And BTW, what do you guys think of giving extra points for the team championship for "Best Looking Car" and fastest lap times.
The best looking car would be a poll open to everyone where the team may choose one car that raced and post a pic of it, whichever one gets the most votes for best looking wins.
The best lap time would be awarded for every race.
 
Here's my proposed points system:
Points will be relatively complicated, for race one the points will be the following:
1st-20 pts
2nd-18 pts
3rd- 16 pts
4th- 14 pts
5th- 12 pts
6th- 11 pts
7th- 10 pts
8th- 9 pts
9th- 8 pts
10th- 7 pts
11th- 6 pts
12th- 5 pts
13th- 4 pts
14th- 3 pts
15th- 2 pts
16th- 1 pt
However, after each race, 1 more point will be given to each finishing position.
So race three the points will be the following:
1st-22 pts
2nd- 20 pts
3rd- 18 pts
4th- 16 pts
Etc.
In addition, 5 points will be given to the driver with the fastest lap time for each race.
The above is for the individual standings, for the team championship, the points awarded to the best driver from each country will be added towards the team championship (Best Lap Time points included)
 
awesome, i like the best car & fastest lap points 👍
 
OK, here's what I have so far...

GT5 Olympics

Announcing the first ever GT5 Olympics!
This will be a test to decide which nation is home to the best drivers, tuners, team strategists, pimpers, and more! (Of only we could play pit crew :))
Please note that this is for serious races, so there will NOT be any car soccer. :)

First off, I need to lay down some of the general rules, regs, and guidelines...

1) Each country can have a total of no more than four people in the race room at once. For this reason, each country will need to pick a "team leader" who can then organize try outs for driver slots, tuning days, and meetings for race strategy.

2) Mics will be allowed in the room until the race start at which point mics will have to either be off, or in private chat with your teammates. This is for 2 reasons, it takes up bandwidth and therefore creates more lag, and it is distracting, which is why text chat will also be disallowed as it sometimes even covers the apex of the turn.

3) For room settings, we will run in my private lobby, which means I will need to be friends with the team leader from each nation who must also be friends with the rest of the people on his/her team. This will keep unwanted drivers out of the room as well as keep my friends list from getting too cluttered. :)

4) The settings for Track Settings, Race Settings, and Restriction Settings will be the following...
Weather/Time Change: Weather will be sunny, but variable, time change will be 60 and the race will start at 12:00.
Start Type: Grid Start w/False Start Check
Grid Order: Fastest First
Boost: Off
Penalty: None (I expect you guys to be courteous, I don't like driving through ghosts)
Race Finish Delay: 180 sec.
Grip Reduction: Real
Mechanical Damage: Heavy
All aids except Skid Recovery are allowed

5) Points will be relatively complicated, for race one the points will be the following:
1st-20 pts
2nd-18 pts
3rd- 16 pts
4th- 14 pts
5th- 12 pts
6th- 11 pts
7th- 10 pts
8th- 9 pts
9th- 8 pts
10th- 7 pts
11th- 6 pts
12th- 5 pts
13th- 4 pts
14th- 3 pts
15th- 2 pts
16th- 1 pt
However, after each race, 1 more point will be given to each finishing position.
So race three the points will be the following:
1st-22 pts
2nd- 20 pts
3rd- 18 pts
4th- 16 pts
Etc.
In addition, 5 points will be given to the driver with the fastest lap time for each race.
The above is for the individual standings, for the team championship, the points awarded to the best driver from each country will be added towards the team championship (Best Lap Time points included)

6) All drivers from the same country must use the exact same car.
Same mods, same model, same year. However, it can be tuned at the driver's discretion. Therefore, they can have different tuning set ups.



For the individual race regs, I think well use the rules and refs from already existing series...
 
Back