GT5 Online Closes 20th May 2014

• Thread starter Oniichan
  • 147 comments
Personally I am glad but still a little disappointed. I have had GT6 since day 1. It was so bad I almost returned then update 1.02 came along and suddenly the game got better because of the increase in payouts. I have been switching back and forth between GT5 and GT6. I can only play GT6 for at most 2 hours. I can play GT5 for hours on end and still do.
I have run all the Seasonals in GT5 even some I hated until I was blessed with a DFGT. I then went back and finished the others. I will miss the B-Spec Seasonals but I welcome back the hybrids.

PD needs to get off their arses and bring more of the promised updates or I will be finished with GT6 before they shut down the servers on GT5. There are plenty with the same disappointment in GT6 in the GT6 threads under Reviews and Feedback. The only Seasonals are TTs which I ran but didn't enjoy. No trading or gifting of any king which was what was great both for GT5 and the :gtplanet community. I haven't seen most of my friends in a long time since GT6 came out.

As I was told by a friend who lives in Japan, the Japanese companies are gonna do what they want when they want regardless of what their consumers want. Sony and PD are no different. I hope they do have someone who monitors :gtplanet:. Maybe this way they can see how many are disappointed with GT6 and hopefully get their act together and bring back the things that made GT5 such an awesome game.

I'm very disappointed to hear this; I went back to playing GT5 online a few days ago. There are so many little things about GT6 that annoy me and because of this as well as the fact that shuffle racing is still missing, I've decided to hold off playing GT6 for a while. I'm just not enjoying it like I enjoyed GT5. I guess in the near future I won't have a choice.

i guess i have enough time to put some seasonals on record for my GT5 then...i love GT5 as much as GT6, but it's a good gesture that PD is letting go of it and its nightmares of bad loading times :D

Yeah, because most people buy GT just for drifting. I highly doubt that people will switch to rF or LfS, since both games are PC only.
Also, switching to a PC (hardcore) racing simulation for drifting, that gave me quite a laugh. I don't understand why people don't buy games, like NfS Underground, that include drift events if they only care about drifting.

Because NFS Underground and all NFS games are terrible maybe ?

Good plan Sony, GT6 isn't doing well so you kill GT5 and force players to buy GT6, btw, did you know that the Live service for the 360 and all the games that use it are gonna be running for at least another year? You're worse than Microsoft.
That's an entire console's online support, one with a HUGE install base. At least 5 times bigger than GT. So you are kinda comparing apples to oranges there. And besides that, thanks to GT6, Sony is gonna get at least another 2-3 years out of the otherwise dying PS3.

But you know what they say, you can please some of the people all the time, but when it comes to GT, you can never please any of he others.

Last edited:
Good plan Sony, GT6 isn't doing well so you kill GT5 and force players to buy GT6, btw, did you know that the Live service for the 360 and all the games that use it are gonna be running for at least another year? You're worse than Microsoft.

Well, since Sony's online is free and Microsofts's is paid for, that's apples to oranges. Which also makes sense why they are shutting it down. No one is buying copies of GT5 anymore and they don't charge for online so what's their incentive to continue to give away something for free?

That's right all. For those that have yet to upgrade to GT6, news has come from Sony that the GT5 online service will close on the 20th May 2014.

GT5 isn't the only one affected. There are a whole bunch of games which will close their online service as well.

Source: http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/games/detail/item97821/Support-for-online-game-features/
modify_inline.gif
Huge bummer. Actually very disappointed they would shut the GT5 servers down so quick after GT6 comes out. They are basically trying to force you to buy GT6 to play online. Poor move IMO. So now we know what to expect when GT7 comes out. GT6 servers will shut down shortly after. :(

I love the freakout, seriously by May aside from a few hardcore players the GT5 servers will be dead. Sorry to say but the hardcores aren't the people who pay the bills. By May the casual folks will have caught up and they will need the server bandwidth. Everyone I play with has switched already. A lot of fixes are being implemented (I feel that PD was told by Sony if you don't release GT6 now you won't be at all, which is why a bunch of features haven't been included on the initial release), and shortly GT6 will go from being superior to GT5, to FAR superior to GT5.

Its not like they are shutting it off tomorrow, you have plenty of time, and heck by May GT6 may be price cut or Greatest Hits ($20!)

Well, since Sony's online is free and Microsofts's is paid for, that's apples to oranges. Which also makes sense why they are shutting it down. No one is buying copies of GT5 anymore and they don't charge for online so what's their incentive to continue to give away something for free?

No incentive, true, but why make it that obvious? They could've just announced it in the GT5's news log. If GT6 was a worthy sequel then I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind but the reality is that GT6 is worse in some aspects.

They might as well kill GT6 already because only the blind fans are still buying it, the casuals don't care about a last-gen half assed game so the money isn't going to be there and harcore sim racers are waiting to get it used or not getting it at all, what's their incentive?

No incentive, true, but why make it that obvious? They could've just announced it in the GT5's news log. If GT6 was a worthy sequel then I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind but the reality is that GT6 is worse in some aspects.

They might as well kill GT6 already because only the blind fans are still buying it, the casuals don't care about a last-gen half assed game so the money isn't going to be there and harcore sim racers are waiting to get it used or not getting it at all, what's their incentive?
GT6 is only gonna get better... You remember how many udates we got to GT5? And how we already have 2 major updates less than 3 weeks from launch? GT6 is going to be miles upon miles better than GT5 by May. That is the incentive.

"OMG Its the end of the world!! I want it now now now", Be patient! Lots of updates just like GT5. If I remember correctly GT5's roll out wasn't as smooth either and it was filled with bugs and needed to be fixed.... :lol:

"OMG Its the end of the world!! I want it now now now", Be patient! Lots of updates just like GT5. If I remember correctly GT5's roll out wasn't as smooth either and it was filled with bugs and needed to be fixed.... :lol:

Except that GT5 didn't actually get better, same turd just more polished and the same will happen to GT6 specially now that the PS3 is dead.

I really need to grind like a ***** now on the seasonals to be able to buy and fully tune most of the cars in the game for hotlapping! wish me luck!

IMO they improved the pay out, its not as bad when it first rolled out and if you have 20$ from Christmas or whatever those cash cards help!

Explain to us how GT5 didn't get better.

Ehh people are going to nitpick its our nature, But really you want a true feel Sim go sign up for Iracing then come back and tell me how expensive it is.I still have an account and for a very good sim like that your going to pay a lot.. jus sayin

Looking at the brighter side, at least the game will still be playable offline (sans seasonals). My MAG game is about to become a coaster at the end of January. :-(

I'm gonna miss those seasonals. I can't afford or plan to buy GT6 at the moment, also I think GT5 is better at the moment.

I'm just hoping that those next six months will be enough for PD to fill in the missing features from GT5 such as shuffle races, as well as fix most of the major bugs currently affecting GT6.

Back