GT5 Online 'Drag Races'

• Thread starter EssOneFive
  • 44 comments
Can someone please explain the appeal of 'drag racing' online?

I really enjoy drifting online and one of the courses I REALLY enjoy is the Top Gear track.

But whenever I find a drift session running on the TG track, I come in only to find about 10 + people just screaming down the long straight.

Then I end up getting kicked because I was drifting in front of their stupid Red Bull car.

Anyone care to explain the excitement here? Are there any rules in place for this type of drag racing or is it just people kinda guessing when they should both let the clutch out?

Cheers :)

Notice the total session time on the upper right of the screen. When a "dragger" says 55 or 20 or whatever, it means its the "second" of the timer. When the "second meter" hits the target number then that's the GO signal.

Ohhhh ok I see. Thanks!

Still seems pretty lame to me personally.

Surely you'd want to have the exact same car, yeah?

Not really, you'd want similar cars but not the same. It's no good putting a Mustang up against a Red Bull for example. It's good fun for the most part.

The fun is using a sports car to out drag a super car e.g my r34 beating vipers and lambos and other similar cars
That's were the fun is

The fun is bringing out my 744hp dodge ram and beating Mustangs and Supras :D

Add me if you want, I have been dragging for quite a while now and consider myself pretty good so I could give you some tips :)

Add me if you want, I have been dragging for quite a while now and consider myself pretty good so I could give you some tips :)

Sounds cool, nearly as good as my 745 (+1hp :P) hp Cobra...

yea lol people get dumbfounded by my ram

Numbers Numbers.... Numbers are not the same as the lights people, If you want to drag race online would you think its better to get a drag racing game? It's just a though but you do what you may. I just don't see any point in it unless you have a red forehead.

Sounds cool, nearly as good as my 745 (+1hp :P) hp Cobra...

Ah but I have 4WD ;)

But yea, raced some cobras (1/4 Mile) and unless they are not tuned, I usually lose by about a car length.

yea lol people get dumbfounded by my ram

I know and it never gets funny. This one guy traded his ZZII for my Ram setup :lol:

Numbers Numbers.... Numbers are not the same as the lights people, If you want to drag race online would you think its better to get a drag racing game? It's just a though but you do what you may. I just don't see any point in it unless you have a red forehead.

Drag game? Please tell me a game that has epic graphics, 1000+ cars and amazing physics and I will buy it. Until one actually tried drag racing, they are always inclined to think everyone that does it are fat hillbillies riding around in 30 year old pickups shooting speed limit signs at night. I can tell you it is just as hard drag racing as circuit racing as I do both.

Well theres 2 ways, some do a time and others do a "tree". One person lines up in front of you and when his car goes invisible you launch.

I hate the timer because people always jump. And when you race at Indy, the launch is mostly the deciding factor on whether you win or lose.

I had no idea about the numbers. I feel kind of an idiot for jumping the start online then. Lol.
I prefer circuit racing but it certainly is fun lining up against people on line to see who is fastest in a straight line. My '70 Challenger beat an Enzo the other day. :-)

Well theres 2 ways, some do a time and others do a "tree". One person lines up in front of you and when his car goes invisible you launch.
Using a ghost car as a tree, how lame can some people be.

[QOUTE=]
Drag game? Please tell me a game that has epic graphics, 1000+ cars and amazing physics and I will buy it. Until one actually tried drag racing, they are always inclined to think everyone that does it are fat hillbillies riding around in 30 year old pickups shooting speed limit signs at night. I can tell you it is just as hard drag racing as circuit racing as I do both.
[/QUOTE]

You'll never find that and the physics in GT5 aren't accurate as we all know due to all the glitching people have done.

The appeal of drag racing is short wait, quick personal enjoyment.
You dont have to struggle for 30min to setup a road race that half the people drop from 60 seconds into the race.
Its easy, takes very little skill and very fast and easy to get going.

You'll never find that and the physics in GT5 aren't accurate as we all know due to all the glitching people have done.

There are glitches to every game. Even the NASA Space Shuttle Simulator has glitches but they are fixed. If you know of a way to imitate the "Green Light" instead of a car ghosting, please by all means share your knowledge.

The appeal of drag racing is short wait, quick personal enjoyment.
You dont have to struggle for 30min to setup a road race that half the people drop from 60 seconds into the race.
Its easy, takes very little skill and very fast and easy to get going.

It doesn't take that much skill to drag, but to actually be competitive and know how to tune your car, you need some technical knowledge. That is why I hate people who show up in their Gayrons thinking they are so fast... but they are surprised how fast I kick them :lol:

I really enjoy drifting online and one of the courses I REALLY enjoy is the Top Gear track.

But whenever I find a drift session running on the TG track, I come in only to find about 10 + people just screaming down the long straight.

Then I end up getting kicked because I was drifting in front of their stupid Red Bull car.

Anyone care to explain the excitement here? Are there any rules in place for this type of drag racing or is it just people kinda guessing when they should both let the clutch out?

Drag Racing is another way to have fun online (90% of my friends drag). The excitement? hmmm, we do pinkslip races, win the race win the opponents car and "last man standing" which is a round robin tournament style where we all run the same car, a prize car given to the Fastest/Winner, some drama hey?? Funny how most people on this site knock Drag but Drift gets the full pass (I drift too). Also, I have seen 'cops and robbers' 'dirty Nascar' lobbies, does that sound pointless? People will have fun online by any means, there is no correct nor wrong way to play online. Just understand the lobby you are in and ask questions if you have no idea whats going on.

Cheers,
*TeAm_SoLo* member - Race, Drag, Drift

Last edited:
Drag Racing is another way to have fun online (90% of my friends drag). The excitement? hmmm, we do pinkslip races, win the race win the opponents car, some drama hey?? Funny how most people on this site knock Drag but Drift gets the full pass (I drift too). Also, I have seen 'cops and robbers' 'dirty Nascar' lobbies, does that sound pointless? People will have fun online by any means, there is no correct nor wrong way to play online. Just understand the lobby you are in and ask questions if you have no idea whats going on.

Cheers,

Fully agree. The whole point of GT5 and the PS3 is a form of entertainment and it should be used for whatever purpose the user decides whether it be dragging, racing, cruising, cat and mouse the list goes on...

To be honest, and I mean no offense, I think drag in GT5 is pointless. The physics don't capture it. Tire grip off the line isn't right, wheel spin isn't right, and shifting isn't right unless you have a very expensive wheel (and some do).

Though it doesn't really matter what I think of it since I'm not the one doing it. I'm just saying that I don't get why a drag racer would pick GT5. I think I've had better drag racing in NFS games. Even Forza 3's scripted launch slide would add a lot to GT's drag racing.

There are glitches to every game. Even the NASA Space Shuttle Simulator has glitches but they are fixed. If you know of a way to imitate the "Green Light" instead of a car ghosting, please by all means share your knowledge.

PD needs to bring back Vegas Drag Way. It's the only way... Until then I guess you have to stick with the ghost for a light and still be unable to check reaction time and so on.

LOL....

Notice the total session time on the upper right of the screen. When a "dragger" says 55 or 20 or whatever, it means its the "second" of the timer. When the "second meter" hits the target number then that's the GO signal.

Some groups use a person that works as the "tree". This is called ghosting and eliminates jumping the start. To ghost, the starter locks the handbrake, and with the handbrake on, presses pause, this causes the player to become translucent and let's people go through them.

Well some people like drag racing just as you like drifting, although drag racing in an X1 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of but as far as rules for drag racing goes someone will normally put a time up in the chat box such as :25 representing the time to leave at or there will be a car that is not racing in front of all the others that are racing and he'll go "ghost" and that's the que to hit the gas.

I think drag racing is perfectly fine if the room says something along the lines of "Drag Racing" but it's obviously annoying if you get kicked for doing what the room title says such as "Drifting TG" as well! I also think that if the room has been up for a while and fixed host status is on so therefore this is a new host that doesn't want to drift like the room title said made by the first original host that can cause you to be kicked.

Bobby-Vegas
Drag Racing is another way to have fun online (90% of my friends drag). The excitement? hmmm, we do pinkslip races, win the race win the opponents car and "last man standing" which is a round robin tournament style where we all run the same car, a prize car given to the Fastest/Winner, some drama hey?? Funny how most people on this site knock Drag but Drift gets the full pass (I drift too). Also, I have seen 'cops and robbers' 'dirty Nascar' lobbies, does that sound pointless? People will have fun online by any means, there is no correct nor wrong way to play online. Just understand the lobby you are in and ask questions if you have no idea whats going on.

Cheers,

Those Dirty NASCAR lobbies can get pretty fun :)

Ohhhh ok I see. Thanks!

Still seems pretty lame to me personally.

Surely you'd want to have the exact same car, yeah?

The excitement is proving that you have the quickest/fastest car in a straight line. With more and more people getting into the drag world, it's becoming a harder and harder challenge for an everyday racer to be in the top 5% of drag racers, let alone the best.

Like DaLightningRacer said, you find a drag game with 1000+ cars with the ability to tune them all AND a working christmas tree and I'll be ponying up cash in no time. Until then, GT5 will suffice.

There's actually three ways. Method #3 is a combination of the first two. Get a car to sit infront to tree and the tree announces when they are going to ghost (for example, :40) and go at that time.

This one guy traded his ZZII for my Ram setup :lol:

EPIC FACEPALM for that guy!! :lol: Nice score for you though. 👍

I hate the timer because people always jump. And when you race at Indy, the launch is mostly the deciding factor on whether you win or lose.

Which is why method #3 is such a good method....it eliminates jumpers and eliminates the slow reactions from the randomness of the ghost.

So, you're calling me lame are you?? Go read the AUP next time as it says you will not attack other groups and considering I'm part of the drag racing group, I find that a personal attack.

Glitches have nothing to do with the car physics, but entirely on the environments.

Cheers,

Fully agree. The whole point of GT5 and the PS3 is a form of entertainment and it should be used for whatever purpose the user decides whether it be dragging, racing, cruising, cat and mouse the list goes on...

Both of you need to join us when we play games like this. We had an awesome game of British Bulldogs with heaps of GTP members a couple of months back......we might need to organise another one soon.

To be honest, and I mean no offense, I think drag in GT5 is pointless. The physics don't capture it. Tire grip off the line isn't right, wheel spin isn't right, and shifting isn't right unless you have a very expensive wheel (and some do).

Though it doesn't really matter what I think of it since I'm not the one doing it. I'm just saying that I don't get why a drag racer would pick GT5. I think I've had better drag racing in NFS games. Even Forza 3's scripted launch slide would add a lot to GT's drag racing.

Just ANY DRAG STRIP (or bringing back Test Course) would make things SOOOO MUCH EASIER!!

PD needs to bring back Vegas Drag Way. It's the only way... Until then I guess you have to stick with the ghost for a light and still be unable to check reaction time and so on.

LOL....

You weren't able to check reaction time with Las Vegas anyway, and this is coming from the person who runs the GT4 1/4 mile thread. Your argument is now invalid and we'll be happy with our ghosts and timers thankyou.

First of all I did not state any names when I stated using a ghost car for a tree being lam. Correct?....Correct. If you feel I'm calling you lam then that's on your head. As for the suspension glitch, It may be best to talk or either do a little research before you make any statement on the environment. And for reaction time, with the current format of Gran Turismo it's possible to check reaction time with the proper drag modeling. So I think my argument is invalid.

Settle down, girls!

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm now actually curious about it and will probably set up a 34GTR or something and have a crack.

Cheers!

Drag racing is pretty fun if everyone follow the rules. Thats it, end of story, people can play the game as they want.

Settle down, girls!

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm now actually curious about it and will probably set up a 34GTR or something and have a crack.

Cheers!

I'm all good.

Drag racing is pretty fun if everyone follow the rules. Thats it, end of story, people can play the game as they want.

Yes they will, I like to clock tree myself it keeps you sharp.

Back