• 183 comments

Paulie

VF Ute Driver
Premium
Australia
QLD, Down Under
GTP_Paulie
Paulie LDP
We did a thread like this in GT4, and it turned into a topic about Australian made vehicles, let's not let that happen twice.;)
Is GT5:P dying off already? Most of the new threads are just people finding new ways to complain (like this one :P), the tuning garages are getting very little attention nowadays (to the point of a few closing), and it used to be I couldn't leave for 10 minutes without coming back and finding 10 threads with new posts in that I'd have to catch up on. I just left for an hour came back and nothing. I leave for a day and there's still not much to speak of.
On top of that, our numbers online seem to have severely diminished, there were people I knew that were online all the time, now I haven't seen them in ages.
Our numbers were so high I could always find someone to race, now that's relegated to the right times on the weekend, with the rare races with 1 other person during the week.
The Race Events GTP and other boards are now holding is keeping some people around, but is GT5:P dying off? Do we now have a year (or 2) of just the hardcores doing race events until the full game comes out?

Edit: Answered my own question, not even a single view in 15mins. This is going to be a long year or 2.:indiff:

Last edited:
There are a lot of other games out right now for both the PS3 and 360 as well as the PC that are taking away people's time to play a game that's been out for a while. Games like LittleBigPlanet, Midnight Club, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Fable II, etc. GT5:P can't stay fresh forever, especially with many of the issues we, as gamers, complain about. I mean if I had a choice to play the brand new LittleBigPlanet or GT5:P I would most certainly go for LBP.

Until PD comes out with something more for the game, like cars, tracks, private rooms, whatever, people aren't going to play it like it once was played. However you know there will be a select group of diehards that will always play it, every game has it's diehards though.

There are a lot of other games out right now for both the PS3 and 360 as well as the PC that are taking away people's time to play a game that's been out for a while. Games like LittleBigPlanet, Midnight Club, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Fable II, etc. GT5:P can't stay fresh forever, especially with many of the issues we, as gamers, complain about. I mean if I had a choice to play the brand new LittleBigPlanet or GT5:P I would most certainly go for LBP.

Until PD comes out with something more for the game, like cars, tracks, private rooms, whatever, people aren't going to play it like it once was played. However you know there will be a select group of diehards that will always play it, every game has it's diehards though.

You mean people actually use their PS3 for things other than GT5?:eek: J/K, but yeah. Even I am considering playing Midnight Club, but then think "why, I can always just play GT5" :banghead:

Variety is the spice of life! :D There are some amazing PS3 games out, and coming out. I wish I could afford one or two!

A lot of people are bored with the current content as it has been played to death (although there are still cars I haven't driven!). Some people are 'on strike' (lol) due to disappointments with updates / lack of private rooms after six months plus of waiting. It's hard to find new things to talk about as we have covered a lot already... unless we all create ridiculous threads about our favourite Prologue snacks, what are we thinking about while racing, how do you grip your wheel, what is your racing schedule etc. Ok, they're maybe not ridiculous but I won't be getting involved in those topics!

Talking about diehards. I quite like those quiet online games with a small-ish community where you get to know most players. Of course, Prologue will explode once some new content is released.

I think its accepted that it would happen. A 'demo' only has so much content to be played. Yes GT5P has a whole lot more than a typical demo but it is still limited. Theres only so many times you can race suzuka or fuji over and over and over before it becomes a bit tedious. It hasn't been helped by the poor events PD have made recently either. There needs to be a lot more variety. The no RBE race was a start but more still needs to be done. Really the game needs something big. A few more tracks, damage or private rooms seem to be the stand out options. Something like those would kick start GT5P again.

Also as joey d said, there are heaps of big name game releases happening right now & obviously that is going to have an effect on the community.

I really dont know what will become of GT5P, like i said i think it needs something major at the moment to help it along. There will always be the diehard racers though which is good because it means you can come back to the game & know there's still a great bunch of people to play against :)

It's accepted that GTPlanet is the largest GT resource on the internet.

Currently there are 110 people viewing this forum (12 in this thread). The second most-read forum is GT5 (46) and 3rd is the Rumble Strip (21).

This is what I wanted to say as well... There are a lot of new games coming out that are worthwhile and DONE of all things..... I keep playing GT5:P though because I am a bonafide car enthousiast... so for me it doesnt matter if its half done, fully done... whatever, I just want to race the cars I like... I am, however, thinking of putting some time in CoD5:WAW..... I loved 4 so this one should be nice as well.. PD just need to open their bag of goodies and give us a little something like some old original tracks which has been stated MANY-O-TIMES on these forums.... and who knows... maybe they'll surprise us and GT5 will be out around Xmas time... now wouldnt that be something..

We did a thread like this in GT4, and it turned into a topic about Australian made vehicles, let's not let that happen twice.;)
Is GT5:P dying off already? Most of the new threads are just people finding new ways to complain (like this one :P), the tuning garages are getting very little attention nowadays (to the point of a few closing), and it used to be I couldn't leave for 10 minutes without coming back and finding 10 threads with new posts in that I'd have to catch up on. I just left for an hour came back and nothing. I leave for a day and there's still not much to speak of.
On top of that, our numbers online seem to have severely diminished, there were people I knew that were online all the time, now I haven't seen them in ages.
Our numbers were so high I could always find someone to race, now that's relegated to the right times on the weekend, with the rare races with 1 other person during the week.
The Race Events GTP and other boards are now holding is keeping some people around, but is GT5:P dying off? Do we now have a year (or 2) of just the hardcores doing race events until the full game comes out?

Edit: Answered my own question, not even a single view in 15mins. This is going to be a long year or 2.:indiff:

Said it before and will say it once again....... Its only a demo ;)

And it is the middle of the day. People have work / college etc.

Im still seeing enough people online to have good fun racing. Sure a few people have got bored with it but there are alot of guys out there still racing. Join in the events and have fun 👍

Paulie, I'm one of the european guys that races this game well into the night (from about 11:00 PM to 2:00 or 3:00 AM), and even so I still meet a few other EU players and AUS players that play very early in the morning (like Energiya). However, the thing is that you, PAL player, live in a time-zone that is almost incompatible with the main PAL zone (Europe), so that's probably one of the reasons why you don't find many people online.

And, of course, there's no denying it, GT5P is getting a bit old now. We all expected the Fall update to bring us something more than 3 cars (private rooms and one or two new tracks were expected), but it didn't happen and, without anything really new, when people fire up their PS3s, it's only natural that they start playing other new games, instead of same old Suzuka/Fuji/HSR online ...

mhh since a few days im thinking about to buy an xbox360 and forza2 because gt5p is getting boring... hotlapping all the time isn´t fun anymore... and they delete all the hotlaptimes with every new update,that sucks...

But after i read a few tests about forza2 i think i got to wait for GT5... at the moment im playing burnout paradise...

One reason, GT5P is just a PROLOGUE, a demo on steroids. So of course it will bore many people after few months of play. I have game since first day (Japan) release, and just currently I became bit bored with it, but I still keeps me enough with it that I wont go back to PC sim racing. One reason, because of online play, just pick up and go.

I think we will get our audience back once FULL GT5 comes out in about a year. :)

and they delete all the hotlaptimes with every new update,that sucks...

Once again, remeber that they update the PHYSICS a lot. What good is last patch lap time if physics change? So I love that PD deletes and updates physics.

It is kind of difficult to keep playing when there is nothing left to play (especially if you have played the game through 3 times already). Yes there is online, but I like games where I have something to strive for. Plus I don't see the point in collecting multiples of each car. I wan't to start gt5 with 0 advantage so won't be trying to transfer anything from gt5p until I am well and truly into the game and just need some funds to collect. Hence I have pretty much stopped playing (except for the gtp event on at the moment).

I've moved on to trying to finish off games I haven't finished yet (which is a bigggg list). Ontop of that have lots of new games to play.

My attention for instance now has moved to
GT4 (I have .4% left from memory)
tourist trophy (70% through)
Ferrari challenge (my racing game I play mostly now instead)
Little big planet (undecided yet if i'm keeping this one. It is fun though)
wipeout hd
wrc (on psp when I go to bed)

There is probably another 6 games ontop of that for ps3 that I simply haven't finished yet due to newer games coming out

Then there is games that are coming out or haven't even started yet that I want to play through
resistance 2
nfs undercover ((if it's completely different to most wanted) but that game has a lot to prove before I buy it)
fallout 3
gears of war
bioshock
Gt4 prologue (as I can't remember if i ever finished it the first time around)

2 more weeks and I then can spend most of my day stuck infront of my ps3/pc trying to finish these games. (I know I need a better hobby but my only other interests are working on cars, and that's simply too expensive of a hobby)

Long story short, yes gt5p is dying off for me but I'm sure gt5 will probably stop me from playing any other game for rest of the ps3's lifetime.

Last edited:
Hype for specIII was keeping things alive, all the speculation about private rooms, new tracks, and even damage...
Then it only included 3 cars, now there's nothing to wait for in the nearby future (or so it seems), so things are quiet here.

Hype for specIII was keeping things alive, all the speculation about private rooms, new tracks, and even damage...
Then it only included 3 cars, now there's nothing to wait for in the nearby future (or so it seems), so things are quiet here.

Yep, that's indeed true... well said.

On a side Note i've raced 8 or 10 no mercy! matches so far and they where very intense and good fun 👍
I can't see me buying full GT5 with no option to disable RBE though ... if I want an arcade game, i will buy one! :dunce:

I really feel like until there are more tracks, I'm just going back to GT4 when i feel like racing. Every online race I attempt these days is just a massive punt fest - and the international races are the worst!
Hell, now that everyone feels all warm and fuzzy about Obama, I do the London race without every European playing "Punt The Yank."
But until the game becomes fun again, I'm out for a while.

It's only logical attention for GT5P will diminish in time. Especially when there are several new high quality games released at this time. I think private rooms will only partly restore interest, and not for a long time. The big turning point will be the full GT5.

I recently bought a PS3 and a G25 just to drive GT5P. There are no other serious racing titles out there for PS3 so I knew I was taking my chances with the cash. I dont regret it. I've fallen in love with a very narrow part of the game, and that part wont die off. At the same time my interest in collecting cars or gold trophies never existed in the first place so it was dead right from the beginning.

But last night while trying to beat a spanish guy, 'esfacil', on the leaderboards in the Ford GT Test Car / London, I realized with happiness watching his replay that the game supports different driving styles. Even with a narrow circuit and a car way too powerful for it, its still possible to develop a personal style of driving and be fast. In some games you merely need to discover the tricks of the trade or copy what the fast guys do. Thats an impressive aspect of GT5P. That part cant die off. IMO other parts of the demo are dead already.

Last edited:
I recently bought a PS3 and a G25 just to drive GT5P. There are no other serious racing titles out there for PS3 so I knew I was taking my chances with the cash. I dont regret it. I've fallen in love with a very narrow part of the game, and that part wont die off. At the same time my interest in collecting cars or gold trophies never existed in the first place so it was dead right from the beginning.

But last night while trying to beat a spanish guy, 'esfacil', on the leaderboards in the Ford GT Test Car / London, I realized with happiness watching his replay that the game supports different driving styles. Even with a narrow circuit and a car way too powerful for it, its still possible to develop a personal style of driving and be fast. In some games you merely need to discover the tricks of the trade or copy what the fast guys do. Thats an impressive aspect of GT5P. That part cant die off. IMO other parts of the demo are dead already.

True, If GT5P did not support good wheels as the DFP/gtdfp and G25 it would be less interesting, as well to see other people replays, and lap times.

But you should try to use the G25 on some good PC racing sim games like the rFactor or new GTRevolution. These games are dirt cheap and will keep you busy for a while as well.

for me it did not die off but sound wise it did with the last update a bit. but that's personal for me don';t know about the others.

and for other games LBP is really fun, also the new James Bond game wich in my opinion is even better then Goldeneye was on the n64 takes my time. i do play gt5p still and loving the game but i miss the agression in the AI wich Gtr evolution and grid do have. i do play thopse games also much as i can.
like others said gt5p just needs some new content and all the people who ran away, do come back.

Was playing a lot of gt5p until this last update when we lost the pro world event. I tend to race (NTSC) at prime time for your PAL guys. I've tried to race twice since and both times the grid is 1-2 other cars. Very lonely out here. Will be back once world events return.

Until then there's LBP and GTA4. $$$

I havent played GT5P with 2 months. I just got bored of the same thing. Theres not much in GT5P to keep me going. Whenever a nw update comes I will play GT5P for a few more days but I have Forza 2 to keep me going for the time being.

Once again, remeber that they update the PHYSICS a lot. What good is last patch lap time if physics change? So I love that PD deletes and updates physics.

Yeah i know this but there is no reason to do hotlaps when they change the physics all 3 months...

I think GT5P is far from dead. I also think the race quality online has improved.

I was racing, US servers, mid day, I usuallly raced with 3-4 different opponents, sometimes when it got to 8 people race, I did not notice any lag. Anyone else noticed that it is getting better and more stable?

Things have died off somewhat, when I do venture online to Suzuka I'm lucky to have more than three other drivers to race with. There are enough cars but the number of tracks is really limited right now, and buzzing Suzuka lap after lap gets old.

What is sad is GT-5p really killed GT-4 for me, but without providing a suitable replacement. I may still go back to GT-4.

Things I miss ...

1. The Ring, Deep Forest, Midfield, El Capitan, Trial Mountain.
2. Race cars.
3. Online racing with friends (e.g. SFGTP(n))
4. Time trial racing (e.g. WRS)
5. PhotoMode

I'm as big a graphics fanboy as anyone but all that prettiness just can't make up for the other failings of GT5p. And it becomes annoying that the one area where the souped up rendering would make a difference (Photomode) is conspicuously absent, as are any kind of sophisticated replay features.

Last edited:
Strop! Good to see you here.

Other than the IFTC TT event, I haven't been playing much-I wasn't really playing at all for a month or so until that got started. I'm looking forward to the no mercy event, but I want to shave a couple more tenths off the TT lap before I move on.

I've drifted away because this is a busy time of year for me, I was disappointed with the update, and I have a couple new games that I've been playing (World of Goo for the Wii and WipeoutHD for PS3). I haven't raced anyone online for quite some time but I'm looking forward to the no mercy event, I just need to shave a few more tenths off my IFTC TT lap and I'll be there.

IMHO PD needs to give us a couple more tracks before the end of the year-new places to drive adds variety even with the same car selection. I don't see how it would be hard to implement photomode, wipeoutHD has it, and that was a $15 download.

Still love the game though, and I tried racing from cockpit view the other day-I don't know if I can be as fast as from the bumper, but it adds so much to the racing experience I might just have to keep at it. Even with the limited supply of cars and tracks, the cockpit view and realism are more than enough to keep me from drifting away completely.

mhh since a few days im thinking about to buy an xbox360 and forza2 because gt5p is getting boring... hotlapping all the time isn´t fun anymore... and they delete all the hotlaptimes with every new update,that sucks...

But after i read a few tests about forza2 i think i got to wait for GT5... at the moment im playing burnout paradise...

I would test the game out somehow before putting down the cash. I expected the first Forza to be on a par with GT (probably all the hype and good reviews) but when I played it, it wasn't a patch on GT for driving feel. Same for Forza 2.

I would have to say that it is tailing off a bit , even with the recent changes , the amount of people just are not there anymore. Various reasons , new games coming out , trying to finish up on previous games , people not liking the online events , either too big of pp's or too low of pp's , or not liking the tracks in which their pp favorites are held , friends not online to race with , but yes , I do see it tailing off a bit.

Back